1.    #1  
    Palm was set to ship the Foleo, so it is safe to assume that there are some Foleos sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

What should be done with these devices?

I think Palm would be wise to provide them to all of us that is active and dedicated to the Palm Economy. This would solve two things for Palm as they prepare the Foleo ll.

It would get the devices out in the real world (both to friend and foe) to both show off the devices from those of us who are the influencers of technology to those who will want it after seeing us with one..

It would provide Palm with tech savy beta testers as prep for the real deal - Foleo ll.

It obviously wouldn't be free because people would take one just because it is free. So what should the price be for this bleeding edge device that basically would not have a warranty or official support channel?

What do you think?
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    Palm was set to ship the Foleo, so it is safe to assume that there are some Foleos sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

What should be done with these devices?

I think Palm would be wise to provide them to all of us that is active and dedicated to the Palm Economy. This would solve two things for Palm as they prepare the Foleo ll.

It would get the devices out in the real world (both to friend and foe) to both show off the devices from those of us who are the influencers of technology to those who will want it after seeing us with one..

It would provide Palm with tech savy beta testers as prep for the real deal - Foleo ll.

It obviously wouldn't be free because people would take one just because it is free. So what should the price be for this bleeding edge device that basically would not have a warranty or official support channel?

What do you think?
    We don't know that these things were even ready to ship. We have information that Palm had promised (we all know how much that means) to release before the end of summer, aka before Sept is over. That does not in any way mean they have warehouses full of the things ready for store shelves already. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing exists other than the development models and mass production still hadn't started at all.

In that case...you won't be seeing "surplus" Foleos anywhere, especially not for sale.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Palm had Foleos in full retail packaging, complete with printed material (an Introducing Your Palm Foleo Companion booklet, and a Read This First quick start guide), the AC charger and a VGA cable. I have no idea how many Foleos made it through the assembly line, but some quantity was definitely production ready, at least from a warehouse perspective.

A friend of mine established some rapport with a manager at one of the Palm Retail Stores, who told him that their inventory system had a delivery slated for August 11. Deliveries of new product to Palm Stores typically precede their sale date by 2 weeks. When my friend went back on the 12th, he was told by the manager that the shipment had been cancelled.

Still, a $10 million write off over a 5-year development cycle doesn't sound like they'd have thousands of $600 units sitting around a month prior to launch.

My conspiracy theory is that Elevation Partners learned about the Foleo development during their due diligence, and "suggested" to Palm that they announce it to the world to coincide with the 25% acquisition -- with a presumed buzz increasing the stock price -- though Palm probably wasn't close to finished with the software (hence the lack of a PIM, the inability to download email directly to the Foleo, etc.). It probably became more obvious that the amount of software development left would not be completed by the end of summer, and as negative reactions from the press mounted, Elevation, with its controlling interest in Palm, probably killed the Foleo singlehandedly. It makes more sense to me that a new investor would dispassionately kill a $10 million project (not unlike laying off the WiFi team) than Hawkins, or even Colligan, suddenly having a change of heart.

It's possible, though unlikely, that Colligan's mention of cancelling the Foleo "in its current configuration" may be a way to buy half a year to "reconfigure" the software -- the 2.6 kernel, direct email access, a PIM, an improved browser -- for a flash ROM update on the existing hardware. Again, unlikely, but possible.
    Last edited by Gameboy70; 09/06/2007 at 11:43 PM.
    Actually I'd like that last paragraph to be true. But they really cannot blow it anymore like this!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Actually I'd like that last paragraph to be true.
    What? Did you really say that? (Psst, me too)
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Me too. I'd be extremely happy with next summer too.

Bring on the next round of Sneak Peeks!
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    What? Did you really say that? (Psst, me too)
    Sure! I'd support the Foleo more if it had better specs.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Actually I'd like that last paragraph to be true. But they really cannot blow it anymore like this!

I'm new to all this -- but what are your preferred ideal foleo specs ?? (ram, speed, storage, weight, features, software, price ??)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    I'm new to all this -- but what are your preferred ideal foleo specs ?? (ram, speed, storage, weight, features, software, price ??)
    For me, it's the concept that was wrong, not really the specs. If Foleo was going to be a sub-notebook format, the why not just buy a sub-notebook? The original concept was for something that was pocketable, not something you needed to carry round in a notebook bag or briefcase (hint - you don't see many briefcases, at least in London, these days).
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    For me, it's the concept that was wrong, not really the specs. If Foleo was going to be a sub-notebook format, the why not just buy a sub-notebook? The original concept was for something that was pocketable, not something you needed to carry round in a notebook bag or briefcase (hint - you don't see many briefcases, at least in London, these days).

thats largely my view too -- I was IMMENSELY skeptical about the Fooleo when it was announced.

But after reading of how others were seeking a decent low power, light weight micro laptop, I've slightly mellowed. I'm now willing to be at least potentially open to the idea.

So I ask again: what are the specs that people want for the Fooleo niche ???

(btw, I always saw the marketing of it as a Treo companion as particularly foolhardy.)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Unfortunately, now I am looking at small laptops again. There's no telling when Foleo 2 will be out and I may need to travel in the next 2 weeks.

By that time, I won't even sample a Foleo if I already have a small laptop for travel.

Palm missed the boat again! Like I said before, I hope they don't blow the 2nd release because then people will just discredit them entirely! They got insulted pretty badly this time around, but the next time they'll get skewered!!

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    To me the concept of a companion product to the Treo would be an external screen and keyboard, period. Leave the processing on the Treo, assuming POS2 is up to the job. Bluetooth the screen and keyboard only. Maybe they could do this at a more affordable price point, ie $100-200.

If the email, office document, and interent experience is acceptable, it could replace the need for a full laptop for many business travelers.

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McTreo View Post
    To me the concept of a companion product to the Treo would be an external screen and keyboard, period. Leave the processing on the Treo, assuming POS2 is up to the job. Bluetooth the screen and keyboard only. Maybe they could do this at a more affordable price point, ie $100-200.

If the email, office document, and interent experience is acceptable, it could replace the need for a full laptop for many business travelers.

Mac
    Totally agree. How Palm hope to make money out or the inevitably smaller, if it exists at all, smartphone companion market, when they are losing share in the smartphone market itself is beyond me.

It's not as if they have the reputation for smartphone innovation and quality they used to have, is it?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  14. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts

Mac
    I suspect this would be a worse disaster than the Foleo was. Scaling mobile device interfaces to a large screen wouldn't buy you anything and would likely look really bad. Septimus made a really good observation/comment about this exact topic in the most recent Treocast.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Scaling mobile device interfaces to a large screen wouldn't buy you anything and would likely look really bad.
    I've used PDAReach, which puts your Palm screen on your PC at double size. I think it looks fine, so a very simple device that could JUST do such
    screen magnification and deliver a large keyboard would be extremely usable.

If there can be a market for all those folding Palm/Stowaway keyboards, with the klutziness of connectivity that they entail, it seems impossible that there could NOT be a market for a simple keyboard+screen, Treo-communicating, device.

It's not the future of mobile computing, but it would a highly desirable item for many people. If ASUS can put together the 7" EEE for $200-250, such an accessory could surely be delivered for $100-150.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I suspect this would be a worse disaster than the Foleo was. Scaling mobile device interfaces to a large screen wouldn't buy you anything and would likely look really bad. Septimus made a really good observation/comment about this exact topic in the most recent Treocast.
    Aaaah Q, (Gesundheit)

My point was that a companion product should utilize the capabilities of the host. Why would a larger keyboard and screen need its own chipset, et al, driving up the cost?

My vision wasn't to have blazer pumped to the big screen. I agree, it would be usable, but not very enjoyable. But instead of Blazer you use e-foli, designed for the Foleo screen. Instead of Docs-to-Go, you use Foleocs-to-Go, etc... Those programs are written to render to the Foleo screen, but run on the Treo. They were writing new application anyway, right?

Purhaps this requires new, more powerful (POS2) Treos with more memory, wifi, bt2.0, etc.... I'm just saying use the power of the Treo to keep the cost down to a price people are willing to pay.

Mac
    Last edited by McTreo; 09/20/2007 at 10:43 AM.
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    My vision ... programs are written to render to the Foleo screen, but run on the Treo. ... Perhaps this requires new, more powerful (POS2) Treos
    I believe this is the concept Hawkins had in mind. Today's Treos aren't ready for the kind of Foleo that Hawkins really wanted.
    Remember the great video game crash? A lot of it was attributed to Atari releasing some lousy 2600 games that financially devastated the company. They also undermined how they were perceived by the consumers who had bought them.

One such game was E.T. - The Extraterrestial known by many as the worst video game ever. So many people returned the cartridges that Atari just ended up dumping their inventory of millions into an Arizona desert landfill. Pac-Man - known as the worst arcade port in history - might have ended up in that landfill until they decided to include it with their repackaged 2600.

So there you go. Palm should either dump the Foleos in a landfill or package them with a future Treo.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.