1.    #1  
    Foleo = Apple TV

Crazy ? maybe. the Foleo is very similar to the Apple TV when it comes to business lines and business 'side projects'. What makes them different: the status of the companies producing them.

Let me explain:
    Look at the apple product categories:
    - mp3players/music service
    - PC's
    - Notebooks
    - Phone (soon to be Phones)
    Where does apple TV come in? It doesn't fit in any of the categories. It's s stand alone product which in itself is not a separate business category. It's sales volume's are small and it's functionality initially was not well rounded (youtube was not included at the start). Also, there are many other similar products out there. Yet, it a great idea, and does sell.

Look at the Palm Product categories:
    - Phones / phone accessories
    - PDA's / mobile data storage
    Where does Foleo come in? It doesn't fit in any of the categories. it's a stand alone product, and does not seem to be a separate business category (thought Palm may have disagreed). It's sales volume potential seems to be small (it's a niche market: Executives or bloggers). It's functionality does not look well rounded (missing a PIM application from at the start) And there are many similar products coming out (UMPCs??). Yet , it is a great idea and will garnish sales.

where they differ: the quality and the market position of the companies offering them.

Apple: mature product line (ipod), which is well entrenched and "up to date"
    Palm: mature product line (treo), which has alot of competition, is not well placed verse rivals, and has an ancient OS which desperately needs updating

Apple:
    Strong earnings, large valuation equal to a bigger RnD budget.
    Palm: Average earnings, a smaller company, less RnD to go around, some recent poor business decisions with financial implications (See various names changes)

Apple: Other product line (PCs Notebooks) are well placed and competitive, though under major facing major competitors. They have found a niche
    Palm: Other product line, PDA's, is a dying breed.

I won't even discuss the IPhone.

Here is the point:
    There were a lot of questions around the foleo, it's usability and it's market. But it's the overall weakness of the company that killed this product. You hear it again and again (Ed said it in his announcement) ::: Palm needs to focus on there OS, and the Treo.

Had Apple delivered the Foleo, even w/ a Linux platform like the one Palm did, it would be on the shelves. Sure, it would be white , and it may not do any better then a Palm Foleo would have done, but it would not have festered the consumer uprising we saw from palm customers and would have made it to the showroom floor, much like the apple TV did, to claim it's niche market.

(opinions, Flames, Apply fanboy history about apple TV, calling me Treocentral accpetable insults all welcome. Comments on my speeling or use of grammer keep to urself ! )
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    Foleo = Apple TV

Crazy ? maybe. the Foleo is very similar to the Apple TV when it comes to business lines and business 'side projects'. What makes them different: the status of the companies producing them.

Let me explain:
    Look at the apple product categories:
    - mp3players/music service
    - PC's
    - Notebooks
    - Phone (soon to be Phones)
    Where does apple TV come in? It doesn't fit in any of the categories. It's s stand alone product which in itself is not a separate business category. It's sales volume's are small and it's functionality initially was not well rounded (youtube was not included at the start). Also, there are many other similar products out there. Yet, it a great idea, and does sell.

Look at the Palm Product categories:
    - Phones / phone accessories
    - PDA's / mobile data storage
    Where does Foleo come in? It doesn't fit in any of the categories. it's a stand alone product, and does not seem to be a separate business category (thought Palm may have disagreed). It's sales volume potential seems to be small (it's a niche market: Executives or bloggers). It's functionality does not look well rounded (missing a PIM application from at the start) And there are many similar products coming out (UMPCs??). Yet , it is a great idea and will garnish sales.

where they differ: the quality and the market position of the companies offering them.

Apple: mature product line (ipod), which is well entrenched and "up to date"
    Palm: mature product line (treo), which has alot of competition, is not well placed verse rivals, and has an ancient OS which desperately needs updating

Apple:
    Strong earnings, large valuation equal to a bigger RnD budget.
    Palm: Average earnings, a smaller company, less RnD to go around, some recent poor business decisions with financial implications (See various names changes)

Apple: Other product line (PCs Notebooks) are well placed and competitive, though under major facing major competitors. They have found a niche
    Palm: Other product line, PDA's, is a dying breed.

I won't even discuss the IPhone.

Here is the point:
    There were a lot of questions around the foleo, it's usability and it's market. But it's the overall weakness of the company that killed this product. You hear it again and again (Ed said it in his announcement) ::: Palm needs to focus on there OS, and the Treo.

Had Apple delivered the Foleo, even w/ a Linux platform like the one Palm did, it would be on the shelves. Sure, it would be white , and it may not do any better then a Palm Foleo would have done, but it would not have festered the consumer uprising we saw from palm customers and would have made it to the showroom floor, much like the apple TV did, to claim it's niche market.

(opinions, Flames, Apply fanboy history about apple TV, calling me Treocentral accpetable insults all welcome. Comments on my speeling or use of grammer keep to urself ! )
    They are nothing alike:

Apple TV - good product, but they crippled it and have had some execution issues. No DVR means won't replace Tivo. I think Apple TV will grow in the long run, once they enhance a couple things

Foleo - Had no business even existing. It was a solution to a problem that didn't exist.
  3.    #3  
    Mike -

Agreed, the Foleo was a solution to a problem that didin't exist. But, in many ways Apple TV was as well. When it was released, sending video, pics, music, etc to a TV was not 'problem', or, to use a better term, a market. Youtube was just hitting it's stride.

Foleo may have been the same way. There was no problem out there, but instead is was the next small step in the convergence device market. Apple TV was the next small step in the convergance of Media and PC.
    da Gimp

Foleo = Palm's Segway.

Both products designed by eccentric geniuses who lost touch with the real world, and loved their creations so much they overpriced them way outside what those with casual interest would pay, and both trying to sort out a problem with products that actually add more problems than providing solutions.

Surur
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Foleo = Palm's Segway.

Both products designed by eccentric geniuses who lost touch with the real world, and loved their creations so much they overpriced them way outside what those with casual interest would pay, and both trying to sort out a problem with products that actually add more problems than providing solutions.

Surur
    that's a good one
    da Gimp