Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, so the media didn't get it. So what? Who cares? The hands on reports from everyone that I saw were positive.

When the Foleo was announced, I was like "Huh?" at first. Then it took me all of one trip across the country with a 6 pound notebook to understand exactly why I needed it. Palm, you sold me on it. It would be the first mobile "laptop" like device I would carry for personal and business reasons and not being "forced" to do so.

But, now it's all gone.

I've been searching the web for alternatives, but I can't find anything in the price range, that supports instant-on and is lightweight with a great mobile battery life. Anyone have any suggestions? Because, I can't seem to find anything that did what the Foleo promised to do.

I really hope the existing devices get leaked to eBay, but the prices would probably way out my range - since it's an instant collector's item now. Palm, do a limited run or something.. Throw us a bone!
    Palm finally figured out what almost everyone else saw immediately. There's just no market for such a limited device. Sales would have numbered in the, oh, dozens, at least.

In the meantime, Palm's wasted 10 million dollars, years of engineers' time, and unmeasurable amounts of customer good will by diverting it's energies from the Smartphone market. Just think what the Treo could be if Palm had spent an additional $10 million developing it.

This ranks right up there with the decision to sell the Palm OS and the Palm name, then pay millions to buy the name back, and millions more for the rights to continue to enhance the OS.

I think the last thing Palm did that could be considered smart, in any sense, was buying Handspring. But they're doing their best to destroy that legacy, too.

All I can hope for now is that some smart, energetic, forward thinking company will buy up what's left of Palm's assets in a year or two, and create a real alternative to MS.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowza View Post
    Okay, so the media didn't get it. So what? Who cares? The hands on reports from everyone that I saw were positive.

When the Foleo was announced, I was like "Huh?" at first. Then it took me all of one trip across the country with a 6 pound notebook to understand exactly why I needed it. Palm, you sold me on it. It would be the first mobile "laptop" like device I would carry for personal and business reasons and not being "forced" to do so.

But, now it's all gone.

I've been searching the web for alternatives, but I can't find anything in the price range, that supports instant-on and is lightweight with a great mobile battery life. Anyone have any suggestions? Because, I can't seem to find anything that did what the Foleo promised to do.

I really hope the existing devices get leaked to eBay, but the prices would probably way out my range - since it's an instant collector's item now. Palm, do a limited run or something.. Throw us a bone!
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I disagree. I think there is a market for such a device but it needed a few tweaks and Palm couldn't/didn't want to make them right now. The current configuration would not have sold like it needed to to be a success but I think with some tweaks AND the right price point it would have.
    Last edited by TxDot; 09/05/2007 at 01:37 PM.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    LOL someone woke up at Palm. About time. Now, lets get that mercedes treo started
    Here's a list of alternatives for anyone who actually wanted a Foleo or similar device. I'm still thinking that Asus looks pretty sweet.

Dropping this piece of garbage was the best thing Palm's done since....um....wow it's been a long time since they did anything right. Since they aquired Handspring? No, because then they dropped the ball on Handspring's legacy. Uh....wow Palm's made a ton of mistakes in the last decade.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Actually it was a good move by Palm..just abut 6 months late is all! with the iPhone now cheaper they'll need to poor ALL their resources into their smartphone market to stay afloat!
    The concept is neat but building a more robust sync solution (software) for any laptop would've been a better idea.

I also don't know how in any universe they could have thought divergent Linux distros between Treo and Foleo was a good idea. Wow that stuns me.

I do think that the move to Linux was smart and if they did something right they'll be able to salvage the development tools etc. Someone posted elsewhere "...what about the companies developing for Foleo..." my guess is that the code would port nicely to the Linux Treo so a PTunes for Foleo would be easy to port to Treo (assuming Linux). I just hope they can bring the LinTreo to market quickly. Carrier testing is gonna kill them though.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz View Post
    I also don't know how in any universe they could have thought divergent Linux distros between Treo and Foleo was a good idea. Wow that stuns me.
    The same people who apparently have bought the best email product for Treos and then stopped all development of it, and keep bundling an inferior one with their phones?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    TXDot - I'm leaning more toward your opinion. There is a amrket. It was a good concept. It need tweaks (a little more then some tweaks)

gkaatz - Your so right. Up until they cancelded the foleo, I did not realize it was a different verion they were using. I just assumed it was the same OS they would put on the phone. That, IMO, was an exteemely poor decision bu the palm developers.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.

But, now it's all gone.

maybe your the one who don't get it. its a failed concpt w/c would have further doomed palm.
    The concept was fine, the execution and actual specs are what failed.

HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    When the Foleo 2 shows up, I'd expect slightly better specs, and all/most of the major complaints resolved before the first Sneak Peek hits.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The concept was fine, the execution and actual specs are what failed.

agreed.

In addition, the fact they were focused on this instead of fixing / improving / growing the treo
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.

But, now it's all gone.

As far as the prices getting too high, that SHOULDN'T happen (but no guarantees!) since part of people's problem with the device was the fact that it was so, as Dieter Bohn put it, "an outrageously exorbitant" price-tag.

If it sells as a collector's item, I suppose that's a possibility, but it seems like a really silly (and I hope, unlikely) one.

As far as alternatives to the Foleo: Try the "List of Foleo alternatives, anyone?" thread.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    As far as the prices getting too high, that SHOULDN'T happen (but no guarantees!) since part of people's problem with the device was the fact that it was so, as Dieter Bohn put it, "an outrageously exorbitant" price-tag.

If it sells as a collector's item, I suppose that's a possibility, but it seems like a really silly (and I hope, unlikely) one.

As far as alternatives to the Foleo: Try the "List of Foleo alternatives, anyone?" thread.
    Upon further consideration, I don't think price is the issue. Look at the poor feature to price ratio on the iPhone, and it seems to be selling rather well. What the Foleo lacked was the all-important bling and a stronger feature set.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not! View Post
    Upon further consideration, I don't think price is the issue. Look at the poor feature to price ratio on the iPhone, and it seems to be selling rather well. What the Foleo lacked was the all-important bling and a stronger feature set.
    Yes... for the price.

If it'd offered more for that price, that might work. If it offered less for a lower price, that might work.

Offering less for a higher price? Ouch.

The novelty of its featureset didn't put it over-the-top the way that of an iPhone (a pricey combination of the pricey iPod and the somewhat pricey mobile phones) or even a vcr, which was a marvel, at the time.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    A 10" screen with keypad kinda laptop for the price they were asking was a great deal. I'm not sure what the problem is with this...price wise...

My problem was the limitations of it. I'd want a device on the road that does close to a 100% of what i need to do. Not 60-70%.

Still a device that thin, small, and light that could fully browse the web, edit office apps, was instant on, do full email, plays very well with treos, and do some multimedia would've been fine at that price. From what i hear there were problems with even doing that though... I think i'd have made it a Treo only companion. Who is palm trying to help here? Sure maybe sell more, but then you got the headaches. Announcing this product compatible only with a new improved Treo could've been better.

But ultimately its saying "our palm treos aren't good enough and you need a companion for it rather than us improving the treo" Palm, let the laptop makers worry about thin and light companions. Maybe even work with one..but you need to stick to making something people want companions for.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    What are we supposed to do now?
    I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

(With apologies to those who, for whatever reason, don't see this as the positive move that most of us seem to).
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I agree with crowza. Nuke the site from orbit.

Game over, man!! Game over!!
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post

FWIW, I was fully willing to lay down the money for it. But yes, I stand by the fact that it was overpriced by a factor of 2.

tirk - great. thanks. now I have to get a new keyboard, you just made me spit coffee all over mine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast