Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    My final thoughts on the Foleo:
    It was like any other new gadget you really don't know how much you need/want it until you use it and then miss it when you don't have it. It amazes me how many people bashed a product they haven't used or even seen first hand for that matter. Just because it doesn't work for them! I don't see a need for V12 engine but hey if that what you want.
    The Foleo was very solid; software and hardware. Yes there were aspects that were desired but what device isn't like that.
    Palm planned on releasing a device ultimately in the beta stages of the grand scheme of things. But it worked and worked well.
    I for one am looking forward to the release of the Palm OS II and the Foleo II as its companion. There wasn't a market for this but Palm is aiming to create it and I feel like they will be successful in doing so. It’s crazy for people to say it won't sell when there people here that say they would buy (and we are a very small group of potential customers). It took me a day or two to get past my initial shock at the Foleo being canceled but I’ve come to realize that it is a very good thing and will only make the Foleo better. I’m buying into Hawkins vision of mobile computing being the “smartphone” and the laptop being in a different group. Of course laptops will be smaller, faster, and more powerful but they still relay on a “desktop” OS. If Palm is successful in introducing a smartphone and companion that are virtually identical in terms a “mobile” OS. The market will be created and will thrive.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    If palm ever foolishly utters the words "foleo II" later, i'm done with em as well as a lot of other stakeholders. Don't you get it yet? Heck, i may be anyways...since it's clear they don't have much going on with the next generation of the palm platform.

You don't repeat a failed, stupid, expensive, and embarrassing idea..well..unless you're stupid. Can't claim ignorance the second time around.
    If they release it ...

1. fully cooked with more robust hardware...
    2. compatibility with more major smartphones, not just Treo...
    3. with some good apps already included...
    4. and maybe change the name so we aren't reminded about the failed version...

I don't see a problem with "Foleo II" being released, but ONLY after it's TRULY ready! Which was the main problem in the first case. They were attempting to release a half baked version for $500 and that's why they got crappy reception over it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If they release it ...

1. fully cooked with more robust hardware...
    2. compatibility with more major smartphones, not just Treo...
    3. with some good apps already included...
    4. and maybe change the name so we aren't reminded about the failed version...

I don't see a problem with "Foleo II" being released, but ONLY after it's TRULY ready! Which was the main problem in the first case. They were attempting to release a half baked version for $500 and that's why they got crappy reception over it.
    5. Has network connectivity built in via WiMax and doesn't rely on a phone for connectivity. By the time they go to market with Foleo II, WiMax or an equivalent will be there and supporting it would make the device a leader not a has been on day 1. It would also open it up to a bunch of people that are not SmartPhone fans but want the all the other advantages the Foleo II would have.
    Last edited by TxDot; 09/06/2007 at 06:02 PM.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Foleo = Apple Lisa
    Foleo II = Apple Mac
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I only meant that the word "foleo" be struck from their vocabulary. LOL Hence..no reason to mention "foleo II"

2. I don't know on that compatibility with other phones. Then they start having all sorts of nightmarish problems. If they ever come out with this, use it to enhance the Treo and nothing else. The Treo is their coreline. Their lifeline. Anything done should be in support of it and nothing else.

If they were to come out with it, keep it lowkey...sell it to Treo users and perhaps have bundle packages for new treo users.

Ala apple, then lower it by 200 dollars later, after we, the core early adopters work the bugs out, and offer a device without the treo support for the general public..lol
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Here's a list of alternatives for anyone who actually wanted a Foleo or similar device. I'm still thinking that Asus looks pretty sweet.
    I had read that thread previously, but honestly - somehow overlooked/missed the ASUS EEE. After looking at it, that seems like it'll fill the void. At less than 2 pounds, it looks to be exactly what I need. The 15 seconds to bootup is a bit much though. I still want instant-on. But, the price $250-$300 is much better than the Foleo anyway. So, I think I'll live with the 15 seconds startup time. The battery life clocks in at 3 hours, which is also a downer compared to the Foleo. But, it's half the price anyway.

The Foleo really struck a cord with me because there are many times I'm on the road - airplane, etc. and I'd like to have something bigger than my Treo - yet less than a notebook for web surfing, email, etc. When I'm forced to carry a notebook I totally dread it. I would rather use my Treo than a notebook, even if it's more painful.

Many times, I'm stuck doing remote VNC support for my work via my Treo. At these times, I'd love to have an instant-on device with a larger display. But, I don't want a notebook. That could fill the void for me and help me remain laptop-less when I need.

I'm not saying I'm a typical user by any stretch of the imagination. But, at first - I hated on the Foleo too. However, the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. It eventually got me to the point where they won me over. Then, it gets cancelled. Ugh.

Looks like I'll pickup an ASUS EEE PC for occasional work to fill the void. Thanks for the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowza View Post
    I had read that thread previously, but honestly - somehow overlooked/missed the ASUS EEE. After looking at it, that seems like it'll fill the void. At less than 2 pounds, it looks to be exactly what I need. The 15 seconds to bootup is a bit much though. I still want instant-on. But, the price $250-$300 is much better than the Foleo anyway. So, I think I'll live with the 15 seconds startup time. The battery life clocks in at 3 hours, which is also a downer compared to the Foleo. But, it's half the price anyway.

The Foleo really struck a cord with me because there are many times I'm on the road - airplane, etc. and I'd like to have something bigger than my Treo - yet less than a notebook for web surfing, email, etc. When I'm forced to carry a notebook I totally dread it. I would rather use my Treo than a notebook, even if it's more painful.

Many times, I'm stuck doing remote VNC support for my work via my Treo. At these times, I'd love to have an instant-on device with a larger display. But, I don't want a notebook. That could fill the void for me and help me remain laptop-less when I need.

I'm not saying I'm a typical user by any stretch of the imagination. But, at first - I hated on the Foleo too. However, the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. It eventually got me to the point where they won me over. Then, it gets cancelled. Ugh.

Looks like I'll pickup an ASUS EEE PC for occasional work to fill the void. Thanks for the help!
    I'm still kinda bugged about all the talk about "instant-on". No device in the world boots instantly. Your treo certainly doesn't, it too takes 15 seconds to boot. However, once it's on there are all sorts of low-power modes that computers and devices use to trick us into thinking it's instant-on. That's all the Foleo would've done too. It's just like a laptop's hibernate or standby mode, or "turning off" your Treo. Note you can't really ever actually turn your Treo completely off anyway.

So grab that Asus EEE, install Ubuntu, and you'll have way more meat than you ever would've had with the Foleo. By the way, in my experience running different OS's on laptops, Windows XP uses far less power consumption (longer battery life) than Vista, and Linux uses far less power consumption than XP. That also means it runs much cooler, which is perfect for laptops.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Maybe I don't fully understand you, and maybe it's about technicalitites that I don't quite grasp, but when I push the power button, it turns on and is ready to use. That's what I want. 15 seconds can be a big difference for some people.

Plus my regular laptop takes much longer than that.

I need that instant on and 5 hour battery life. The three hours of the Asus is better than my laptop, but not much better to get me to get it.

I understand the some people need more. But is seems like you don't understand that a lot of people who were excited about the Foleo don't. Word, Excel, and Internet, with instant on and the long battery life is all I needed. That's pretty much all I use my laptop for. Almost everything else would be a bonus. (Instant messanger is one thing that I would also need.)

The Foleo wasn't for you then, but that doesn't mean it wasn't for us.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Maybe I don't fully understand you, and maybe it's about technicalitites that I don't quite grasp, but when I push the power button, it turns on and is ready to use. That's what I want. 15 seconds can be a big difference for some people.

I need that instant on and 5 hour battery life. The three hours of the Asus is better than my laptop, but not much better to get me to get it.

I understand the some people need more. But is seems like you don't understand that a lot of people who were excited about the Foleo don't. Word, Excel, and Internet, with instant on and the long battery life is all I needed. That's pretty much all I use my laptop for. Almost everything else would be a bonus. (Instant messanger is one thing that I would also need.)

I've gotta chime in, again, with the used/refurbished Sony TX, which I'm using, right now.

I'll admit that the deal I got was rather rare, but it's not impossible. I popped in Matrix Revolutions, then checked the battery meter about 20 minutes into the flick. The meter said I had about 4 and a half hours of battery life remaining... while spinning a dvd.

Now imagine how much more battery life someone like you would get, since (if I'm understanding your post) you wouldn't use the optical drive. Most days I don't use it, either, but it's nice to know that, when I need it, it's there and still affords me Foleo-levels of battery life in a sub-3lb, 11-inch notebook.

Bloated operating system or not, I say disable what you don't want, use the rest, and let Palm get the Foleo II right for you... in a couple years or so.

Just a suggestion. Obviously, only YOU know what's truly right for you.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Oh, I'd be interested in that if I had that much money, and it works as well as you say. But I don't, and I don't often buy used electronics, especially not from a place like ebay. I like to know I can take it back for a full refund if I want, or take it in to be switched out if something's wrong, and simply know for certain that I'm going to get it. (I've been cheated on ebay before... and while I've gotten money back because of their policies, I'd rather not go through the hassle.)

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I only meant that the word "foleo" be struck from their vocabulary. LOL Hence..no reason to mention "foleo II"

2. I don't know on that compatibility with other phones. Then they start having all sorts of nightmarish problems. If they ever come out with this, use it to enhance the Treo and nothing else. The Treo is their coreline. Their lifeline. Anything done should be in support of it and nothing else.

If they were to come out with it, keep it lowkey...sell it to Treo users and perhaps have bundle packages for new treo users.

Ala apple, then lower it by 200 dollars later, after we, the core early adopters work the bugs out, and offer a device without the treo support for the general public..lol
    Treos only makes it a limited use device and not a true mobile companion then.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Oh, I'd be interested in that if I had that much money, and it works as well as you say. But I don't, and I don't often buy used electronics, especially not from a place like ebay. I like to know I can take it back for a full refund if I want, or take it in to be switched out if something's wrong, and simply know for certain that I'm going to get it. (I've been cheated on ebay before... and while I've gotten money back because of their policies, I'd rather not go through the hassle.)
    FYI: The Foleo was $600 before rebate. The Sony I got was about $1000 (I think I'd forgotten to include tax, before).

And I got it from an actual Sony (Outlet) store.

My point was that when you push the power button on your Treo, it's not turning on from off, it's resuming from standby. If you want to know how long it takes your Treo to turn on from completely off, take the battery out, put it back in, and see how long you have to wait until you can use it again.

All laptops can do the same thing. Yes, it takes awhile to boot up, but then you don't turn it off every time you shut the lid if you're using it off and on throughout the work day. Instead you set it to standby or hibernate, which in turn is "instant on" (standby more so than hibernate).
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    My point was that when you push the power button on your Treo, it's not turning on from off, it's resuming from standby. If you want to know how long it takes your Treo to turn on from completely off, take the battery out, put it back in, and see how long you have to wait until you can use it again.

All laptops can do the same thing. Yes, it takes awhile to boot up, but then you don't turn it off every time you shut the lid if you're using it off and on throughout the work day. Instead you set it to standby or hibernate, which in turn is "instant on" (standby more so than hibernate).
    I pretty much agree with you on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Treos only makes it a limited use device and not a true mobile companion then.
    I was thinking of it as a treo accessory anyways, sort of like a dock for an ipod or something.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

Ok, I got you now. And it definitely is about technicalities then.

You may be right. But that doesn't change that fact that it feels like it's instant on/off. How it functions is more important than the technicality of what the function is called.

Same for all the specs. I don't necessarily care about the specs. As long as it does what I need, the experience is what's important, not the specs.

And for the most part it did. But now I won't get to experience it.

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

The foleo rides the same concept as the treo for the instant on. If you say the treo is resuming from standby when pressing the on/off button, the foleo follows the same concept. When you press the off button, its still running everything in memory.

Some of those who saw the foleo during the sneak peek mentioned that the Foleo does need around 90 seconds to reboot . The boot time is similar with the treo 680.

Instant on is cool and nice to have, but I think people tend to think that this is critical in their day to day activities. If you really need instant on to write something immediately, its much faster to use the old fashioned pen and paper. It doesn't crash and you can always find a quick replacement for a pen or paper. If you need to browse the web, check your mail, view a picture or look-up a document, the treo can fulfill around 99% of this requirement (although its on a small screen).

The concept of the Foleo is very good. However, the end product that JH and company produce is far beyond what the concept should be. The Foleo should have been a laptop replacement.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janric View Post
    Instant on is cool and nice to have, but I think people tend to think that this is critical in their day to day activities. If you really need instant on to write something immediately, its much faster to use the old fashioned pen and paper. It doesn't crash and you can always find a quick replacement for a pen or paper. If you need to browse the web, check your mail, view a picture or look-up a document, the treo can fulfill around 99% of this requirement (although its on a small screen).
    I've said this before, but I might as well say it one more time. (This board will die soon enough with no more Foleo news to arrive for a while.)

That doesn't apply to me. I write as a hobby. I don't do it for a living, but it is something that I enjoy very much. There are times when a scene will pop into my head, or a conversation that will fit perfectly for where I am in my story.

Pen and paper does not compare to a full sized keyboard. The treo doesn't compare to a full sized keyboard. The words per minute compared to either far exceeds both of them. I haven't tried recording myself... perhaps that would work... but I don't think I work that way. I hear it and see it in my head, and I think voicing it would disrupt the image.

If I'm by my computer, then I'll go for my computer. If not, using either pen and paper or my treo, I have to write down much more fragmented scentences.

I can't even type as fast as it goes in my head before pieces start fading, or before the exact wording of a conversation escapes me.

Instant on/off attracts me as a student because no matter how late or early I am to class, I could've just pulled it out and turned it on and started typing. And I can just close up and leave without having to prepare to leave, and not be in anyone's way. But it's the benefit to writing more so than as a student, that really attracts me to instant on.

(Battery life is the opposite. As a student, that battery life would be extremely beneficial.)
    Last edited by Gerorne; 09/08/2007 at 05:38 AM.

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I've said this before, but I might as well say it one more time. (This board will die soon enough with no more Foleo news to arrive for a while.)

That doesn't apply to me. I write as a hobby. I don't do it for a living, but it is something that I enjoy very much. There are times when a scene will pop into my head, or a conversation that will fit perfectly for where I am in my story.

Pen and paper does not compare to a full sized keyboard. The treo doesn't compare to a full sized keyboard. The words per minute compared to either far exceeds both of them. I have tried recording myself... perhaps that would work... but I don't think I work that way. I hear it and see it in my head, and I think voicing it would disrupt the image.

If I'm by my computer, then I'll go for my computer. If not, using either pen and paper or my treo, I have to write down much more fragmented scentences.

I can't even type as fast as it goes in my head before pieces start fading, or before the exact wording of a conversation escapes me.

Instant on/off attracts me as a student because no matter how late or early I am to class, I could've just pulled it out and turned it on and started typing. And I can just close up and leave without having to prepare to leave, and not be in anyone's way. But it's the benefit to writing more so than as a student, that really attracts me to instant on.

(Battery life is the opposite. As a student, that battery life would be extremely beneficial.)
    Well said. Different strokes for different folks.

The reason why we type faster than we write is because we were trained to do this from the very first time that we handled a typewriter/computer. Unlike 25 years ago, people write very fast and type very slow. Today, that's the opposite.

I remember when we use notebooks (not the laptop) in classrooms to jot down the lecture. However, one thing that I believe is that if you know how to properly manage your notes and thoughts, it can be far more efficient than keeping it in a computer.

Here's a link that I think everybody can use in one way or another
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12