1.    #1  
    Given all has happened I was wondering if people think Palm has truly been work on the Foleo for the past five years? Seems like 5 years of development shouldn't have ended in a 10 million dollar blunder.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Below are the last 5 years R&D expenses:

2007 - 190.95
    2006 - 136.24
    2005 - 89.8
    2004 - 69.37
    2003 - 70.18
    That's possible. So you see 10 / (190.95 + 136.24 + 89.8 + 69.37 _ 70.18) = ## is miniscule.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    Below are the last 5 years R&D expenses:

2007 - 190.95
    2006 - 136.24
    2005 - 89.8
    2004 - 69.37
    2003 - 70.18
    Is this million $? Where did they send the money to???
    too think, possibly 5 years in the making and it's dumped.

Does anyone here have experience in consumer poroduct development? I am curious - does this happen ofter? How long is a product developed, like a phone, developed?
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wagenrad View Post
    Is this million $? Where did they send the money to???
    To sell the GarnetOS and then buy back the Palm name.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure they've said the concept originated 5 years ago, but that doesn't mean that heavy development started then. It probably changed concept slightly several times, revolving around the core concept of "sometimes needing a bigger screen and keyboard", before settling into the Foleo.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 09/05/2007 at 03:39 PM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    I suspect Palm got caught by a change in the market place.

Consider 5 years ago, sitting around a table; current laptops cost $2000+ US, "let's make a laptop alternative that costs $1000 or less!!"

Makes sense considering Moore's law. Moore's law had proven accurate for 20+ years, computer power doubles while cost remains the same.

Prior to a few years ago the average price of laptops and computers remained constant; you just kept getting more for your money.

Then that all changed. While computer power kept increasing, cost plummeted.

Now your average laptop costs just over $1000, less than half what it did before.

I suspect Palm realized that a $600 dollar non-laptop device couldn't compete in today's market.

Say all you want regarding fit and finish; I was just in Costco the other day and saw this package for $800.
    14inch Widescreen
    1 gig RAM
    160 gig HD
    AMD Turion X2 Dual Core TL-56
    DVD burner
    Extra power supply
    Bluetooth mouse
    Backpack
    Yes HP makes decent compact laptops for a price near the Foleo. I've said that before, but true Foleo fans said we didn't need all that. Maybe we don't need it all the time, but in my case, I sure need most of it a majority of the time!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Jeff Hawkins has been working on Foleo (aka Pad computer) since 1991, when he was at Grid Systems. It's the result of 16 yrs of development.
    Jeff Hawkins had the Foleo idea in his mind for ages, but never took the time to really work on the development completely and after dragging this project for years and needing to meet his deadline he rushed himself and produced a partially developed product called it the Foleo. Everybody at Palm said "If the father of the PDA says this is a great product then we will take his word for it" Finally after getting so much bad publicity Ed Colligan decided to just call it off and take responsibility for the whole fiasco.
    What can we learn from this? It doesn't matter who you are, but if you don't consult with the right people and listen to them before coming out with something stupid you better be ready for the heat.

Al
    So timing killed the first Foleo? If he had that idea for 13 yrs. and had done something a whole lot sooner, we wouldn't be comparing Foleos to laptops, but perhaps the other way around.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    So timing killed the first Foleo? If he had that idea for 13 yrs. and had done something a whole lot sooner, we wouldn't be comparing Foleos to laptops, but perhaps the other way around.
    Someone posted a link to Ben Crombees blog, where he's posted some thoughts on the Foleo being canceled. There were quite interesting. Sounds like there may have been some real issues that certain people at Palm was glossing over in the hopes of just getting the thing out the door.

My guess is that sooner wouldn't have made any difference. The technology is just now getting to the point to do something like the Foleo. It sounded like the hardware was there, but they just didn't have the time to finish the software. Perhaps they started down one road prior to beginning work on the new smartphone linux OS, then realized they should have went down the same road that they went down with the Smartphone Linux OS. Instead of putting bandaides on it until they could release a second generation foleo, they just scrapped it.

TKOS
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting! View Post
    The technology is just now getting to the point to do something like the Foleo. It sounded like the hardware was there, but they just didn't have the time to finish the software.

TKOS, you are a business man. Can you tell me whether any non-committed staff in your company can produce quality work? Or if you have any other new business you are more interested than you existing business, will you commit yourself to your existing business?

All of them (Jeff & Ed) are liars. They used the company money more than 400m and told the people the software is not ready yet. All of them are taking the money from the company. Jeff is only interested in his project. Ed is interested in cashing his stock options. Do you expect they can come out any great thing? Also Palm mentioned about a Linux version of Palm OS many many years ago. Where is the Linux Palm OS?

Regardless of how good is the idea, Palm will not be able to produce any great device/product from the existing management.
    Last edited by GFONG; 09/07/2007 at 06:12 AM.
    TKOS, you are a business man. Can you tell me whether any non-committed staff in your company can produce quality work? Or if you have any other new business you are more interested than you existing business, will you commit yourself to your existing business?
    I'm not fully understanding your question. In general, if we think we can make money at doing somthing, we'll give it a shot. Sometimes it pans out and sometimes it doesn't. However, we usually don't try to grow our business in a direction where we have no experience. Typically, we'll take something we are already good at and try to grow that into a new market. For example: If I was good at making cars and was making a profit doing this, I wouldn't try to get into the fruit growing business. Instead, I'd try building a new type vehicle that we currently were not making, based on some type of identifiable demand in the market.

TKOS
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    All of them are taking the money from the company.
    Wow a CEO of a company getting paid from company money, whatever next

Also Palm mentioned about a Linux version of Palm OS many many years ago. Where is the Linux Palm OS?
    Yep I know, they should have been able to develop a complete new OS from scratch is say one or two months It took Microsoft, with all their money and resources, five years to get from XP to Vista and even then they had to leave things out. Yes I know a desktop OS is way more complex but it just shows that writing a new OS is not a five minute job.
    They had more than enough time to come up with something, even a rough draft!! No excuses for Palm's slowness!!

And GFONG may have meant they used company money for personal projects that may not benefit the company, but more themselves. Or that they are siphoning away too much money from the company and the company isn't getting anything in return from them.