Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just wanted to say thank you to the Palm team that thought up and executed the Foleo. When I came out to the wonderful Foleo Preview I saw what you were doing. I got it.

And every time I turned on my Macbook afterwards, I questioned, "Did I need the weight? Did I need the power?" Did I need 28 seconds to start up?

A lot of people thought the Foleo needed this or that. And maybe they were right or wrong. But the fact is, Jeff Hawkins was on to something. As we get to the point where one computer can easily remotely control another, we need to do some serious thinking about what we need from a laptop.

And it might not be as much as we think.

If you've got something positive to say, this is the place to say it. Maybe just a few words about why the Foleo interested you.... If you have a negative comment please use another thread. There's a reason for that...

There are people at Palm who spent way more than a year on the Foleo and they have every right to be proud. And make no mistake. Good people will lose their job because of this decision. That's just the way these things work.

For my own part, Palm, I really loved the light weight, and the instant on-off. It would have been a great choice. Also, Ben, thank you so much for taking the time to answer the questions from the Palm community. You were very patient and informative.

And if/when Palm decides to make the move into the next step for mobile computing, I'll be there. Whatever that it. I'll tell everyone how Palm has a really cool idea back in '07 and I got to see it live.
    My name is Moore,
    Roger Moore
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Whoo Rah, for Palm.

It takes courage to do what they did -- I'm proud of them. This tells me, they're going to make a kick *** smart phone soon. I for one, won't buy another phone until I see what Palm comes out with next.

I love these guys, I always have. There's just something about this company.

Ed stepped up, took it to the hole. Around where I live we say, "Go big, or stay home". Ed went big, good for him.
  3. vrf
    I still love the idea of the Foleo. Instant-on devices with snappy performance are the future of all mobile computing, not just the the ones we put in our pocket.

Ed, that took courage. I don't agree with the decision, but I don't know all the facts. You do, and I hope you did the right thing.

Just wish you'd chosen a different day.
    I have always been a firm believer that one learns more from his/her failure than from his/her success. Tech is a tough business and every big player out there today has its share of failed products.

Learn from your mistakes, pick up the pieces, and try again. Palm, you are one step closer to the next big thing, and don't stop taking calculated risk.
    I would like to thank the Foleo Team as well.

Business and innovation require risks and gambles.

The Foleo is a step in the right direction.

And, Happy Birthday vrf!
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    As long as you haven't abandoned the concept, I suppose I can wait. (I don't have much choice if I can't anyway.)

I was looking forward to getting it in my hands right now. I at least had the pleasure of using it for a good 6+ hours. I'm certainly going to miss that mouse wheel. I miss it all the time already.

I was looking forward to pulling out my instant on device in class, smack dab in the middle of the room with no fear of running out of battery. (Which I noticed happened to several people my first week back to school.)

Bring on Foleo 2!
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Thanks! A lot of us on the team were reading the various blogs this afternoon, and shouting out the most ridiculous lines as well as the comments of appreciation of what we were trying to do.

I'm not going to go into detail about the decision. I heard a lot of arguments both for and against releasing the device, and while I'm sad that the product I've worked on won't make it to market, I know that both my team and Palm as a company have gained a lot of experience and knowledge through this effort that we'll be using to help deliver better products in the future.

Many of us at Palm still believe strongly in the ideas behind the Foleo device, and I'm glad that we're still planning on going after that market in the future. We've heard from a lot of people that wanted to ditch their laptops for something light, simple, and quick, and I hope we'll use the experiences of this summer to guide development of what we do next.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    Thanks! A lot of us on the team were reading the various blogs this afternoon, and shouting out the most ridiculous lines as well as the comments of appreciation of what we were trying to do.

I'm not going to go into detail about the decision. I heard a lot of arguments both for and against releasing the device, and while I'm sad that the product I've worked on won't make it to market, I know that both my team and Palm as a company have gained a lot of experience and knowledge through this effort that we'll be using to help deliver better products in the future.

Many of us at Palm still believe strongly in the ideas behind the Foleo device, and I'm glad that we're still planning on going after that market in the future. We've heard from a lot of people that wanted to ditch their laptops for something light, simple, and quick, and I hope we'll use the experiences of this summer to guide development of what we do next.

Good luck, Ben. But next time may I suggest that you do more usability testing with a group of potential customers and also survey your potential market to generate a list of features that would be considered mandatory for such a device? In less than a month the couple hundred power users that attended your Foleo Sneek Previews probably gave you more useful (and realistic) feedback than Palm got in its previous 2 years of in-house development.

I realize that many of the features missing from the Foleo were left off due to time constraints, but in the future Palm can't afford to miss the target like that and hope to survive in such a cutthroat industry. Poor security, no YouTube, no tabbed browser, no multitasking, slow CPU, no standalone email app, no multimedia player, etc. are flaws that became fatal liabilities for the Foleo and should never have existed in a device that was supposed to be sold to consumers at a $600 price point.

Good luck in your next project, Ben. As you were in your Metrowerks days, you remain a trustworthy breath of fresh air in the PalmOS community. Don't ever change, babe.
    I know that both my team and Palm as a company have gained a lot of experience and knowledge through this effort that we'll be using to help deliver better products in the future.

I've been using it and the Foleo team did a *great* job with Foleo. I just want to say that Palm's future work on this concept will be done standing on the shoulders of giants. Seriously.

Hopefully, I am quick to add, it will be the same giants standing on their own shoulders. No matter how uncomfortable that might sound.

It's late, and I have a feeling I should have quit while I was ahead.

But before I do let me just add that giving yourselves a pat on the back would probably be a good exercise to build up to the aforementioned shoulder standing thing. ;-)

No, seriously, Ben. Looking forward to good things from you and your teammates in the future. You guys brought the Zen to laptop computers. Who would have thought it possible? :-)

One last thing: pay close attention to what that Chupacabra guy says. His is usually the advice you can reliably ignore ;-)
    Last edited by cervezas; 09/05/2007 at 01:13 AM.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I love the foleo, let me say that.

but i'd like to point out now that Palm cancelled the Foleo, people who hated it are sad. its like when someone dies, they can be a horrible mean person, but after they die, they were the best person who ever lived! lol
    sorry, there was a dead like me marathon on yesterday and i cought a line, thought it related
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    I hope that the Foleo II will be introduced in next year.

I fully support the idea of Foleo, which I define it as "Simple Computing". I found that the IT industry is a mess. Users need to upgrade their computer from time to time to use the latest software. The new software performance are getting worse and worse. Also the stability of the OS and software are the big problem. Personally I don't see much different between the Word 6 compare to Word 2007 in term of the functionalities used by 90% of the user. I think we need the revoluation. Foleo is the right start.

Please note that I am not talking about MS (Windows / WM) only. You can see the development of Mac OS, Linux, Symbian etc then you will aware the same problem.
    I like this positive thread. Sure, like Fisher sadi, everyone says good stuff when someone (or something) dies. But that's ok - there were alot of positive things about the foleo. It's good Palm can here waht was done right, so they know what to move forward with.

it's also break to have bcombee here, and to hear his comments. he's in a difficult position, but it's nice have his imput.

I've stated in other threads I would not had purchased this device, mainly becasue of my negativve exp[erioence w/ the 700P. What I did not say, and what many other didn't, as why we would purchase the foleo:
    - Instant on
    - Integrated wifi
    - Potential for streamlined, quality programs developed by small 3rd parties (not MS)
    - lighweight, portable, small
    - 'companion' to the phone - not just the Treo, but a blackberry, WM6, etc.
    - alterntive OS to Vista, XP, etc.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.

I'm not going to go into detail about the decision.
    Aw, at least share with us what were the most ridiculous lines.
    Just want to add that the Foleo OS is an important accomplishment in that it sets a new standard for responsiveness and simplicity in the mobile Linux kingdom. It's also got great power management--something that has been tricky to achieve with Linux. These achievements and others will, I'm quite sure, NOT be lost as Ben's team shifts over to join the smartphone Linux team at Palm.

Having spent a fair amount of time with Foleo over the last few weeks, I really don't think this cancellation has anything to do with the product being a bad idea or the software being bad. To the contrary, I think both are quite good. I believe it has more to do with a change in the smartphone OS strategy and the need for Foleo's OS to be aligned with it that so Palm isn't caught trying to maintain and support two different Linux operating systems plus WinMo.

Hoping when Foleo II arrives that it will have a big library of applications (tweaked versions of those that Palm and 3rd parties have already developed for the new smartphones) and that Palm will have RIM on board so that Foleo syncs with BlackBerry at launch time. Those two items would go a long way to generating the positive buzz that Palm wants to have for this product.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I want to thank Ben for coming too and opening up about the Foleo in this forum. It was a breath of fresh air compared with the lack of Palm response to most things. I started off not liking the Foleo but changed my mind after the sneak peek in NYC.

It has made me pursue taking an old laptop and putting puppy Linux on it. Now I just need to take out the hard drive for a CF card. I like the instant on idea and will modify it to my needs. Unfortunately it will weigh more then the Foleo.

Hoping an upgraded Foleo may still be in the future.
    Marty
    Handspring Visor -> Handspring Treo 180 That stated it would have Wi-Fi -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650->Treo 700P ->Centro->Pre
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emajy View Post
    I want to thank Ben for coming too and opening up about the Foleo in this forum. It was a breath of fresh air compared with the lack of Palm response to most things.
    Hear, hear!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I would also like to chime in and thank Ben for jumping in with his insight and comments. It's not very often that it happens and it did add quite a bit to the discussion. Good luck with whatever you move onto now Ben.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    If you read my rare posts, you know that I am no fan of the Foleo. For me, it was a distraction from what I felt should have been Palm's primary emphasis and perhaps a sign of devolution in the Palm brand. I have even called it a Fooleo.

When I initially read this thread, I wanted to be my usual sarcastic self. However, there is a certain logic to what everyone has said here. There certainly is room for an instant-on, "thin" computing platform that interfaces with a variety of other computing devices. In fact, the company that can provide such a machine will be a market leader in the foreseeable future. The Foleo, however, was not it. It was too limited, too feature-poor, too slow... In these times a device must have a sexy bling factor in order to become successful. You cannot produce a device that is quite frankly boring and "appears" far behind technologically and then expect to generate excitement about it. Such a device might work as a proof-of-concept, but not as a mass market product.

Perhaps, after all, the Foleo will turn out to be a rather expensive proof-of-concept that advances our technlogical horizons. At any rate, good luck, Foleo team. I sincerely hope you guys get another crack at creating the next class of computing systems.
    I hope no one else will pick up on this concept. Whats worse than not releasing it is someone else like Apple picking up where Palm has pioneered and make a big success out of it.

Ben, have you guys patented this concept? I really wish we could protect the mobile companion category as ONLY Palm's. Palm should get the first crack at this device... Jeff hawkins deserves that...

Still a believer of the Jeff Hawkins' vision... i still think he's a genius... i hope Steve Jobs does not steal the thunder away...
    lol at you guys. thanking them for squandeing millions in a failed product. setting palm by another couple of years. hawkin rep has taken a serious hit on this debacle.

don't give palm anymore ideas abt foleo or foleo 2. just improve its core business- the smartphones.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast