Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Sure, I could strip down Windoze or Linux to run with a decreased memory and hard drive footprint, but this doesn't mean it is optimized to provide only the tools I listed above. You are still carring around the overhead of the base OS. If it's vista we are talking about, then this would be about 500MB of required RAM, with nothing loaded but the OS.
    Wait, do you not realize that's exactly what the Foleo was? It ran Linux, and stripped it down to just basic core functionality. The only differences between it and other notebooks is:
    1) It used an ARM processor instead of x86/64bit
    2) Linux was pre-installed

So sure, you can't get an ARM based laptop. Woopie. It's still possible to install your own stripped down version of Linux (during installation just choose which modules to install or not) that does the same thing. And if you really don't believe anything else out there can do instant on la Foleo you're just proving my original point.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  2. vrf
    Count, I fiind it puzzling that you have invested so much of your life into trying to talk a few people out of their appreciation for what the Foleo offered. Haven't you something better to do with your time?

My money would have went to a Foleo, and I don't care how long people like you drone on about buying a laptop. I still would have bought one. Why do you care so much?
  3. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Wait, do you not realize that's exactly what the Foleo was? It ran Linux, and stripped it down to just basic core functionality. The only differences between it and other notebooks is:
    1) It used an ARM processor instead of x86/64bit
    2) Linux was pre-installed
    So sure, you can't get an ARM based laptop. Woopie. It's still possible to install your own stripped down version of Linux (during installation just choose which modules to install or not) that does the same thing. And if you really don't believe anything else out there can do instant on la Foleo you're just proving my original point.
    Nope, you are way off base. Too bad you didn't read the Foleo developers guide before they pulled it. The Foleo had a custom GUI and was optimized in many ways to facilitate instant one. It went far deeper than a stripped down OS and a suspend mode.

Do you have any basis at all for the statements you are making? Have you ever created a Foleo Clone as you seem to be implying? If so, I'd like to buy one from you. I think there a few others on here who would buy one from you as well.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    I've yet to see a notebook with my own eyes that comes out of hybernation this quickly and I've owned quite a few of them.
    Neither have I - that's why I said out of "standby" - just like the Foleo does. The Foleo, like the Treo, takes up to 2 minutes to boot up to the desktop for "off," but only a second (or two) for the screen to come on from standby. The Vaio comes out of standby in under 2 seconds - and has about 6 hours duration at full operation (or all day long in and out of standby).

I'm not sure exactly what you'd call it, but there's no way the average computer user could use this for typical PC needs.
    It's called a UMPC and I use it in place of my laptop - primarily because it's more useful. I guess that means I'm not average.

The Foleo had a custom GUI and was optimized in many ways to facilitate instant one. It went far deeper than a stripped down OS and a suspend mode.
    That's exactly what it looked like when I saw one here in DC. A subset of Linux, hidden from the user by a simplistic GUI, that could be held in standby for long periods of time (probably over a day), could be brought out of standby in about 2 seconds (although the wifi took several more seconds to reestablish a connection), but still required a 60+ second boot up if you ever shut it all the way down (press and hold the power button). It was clever, simple, minimalist, and uninspired.
    Last edited by Kupe; 09/25/2007 at 09:03 PM.
  5. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Neither have I - that's why I said out of "standby" - just like the Foleo does. The Foleo, like the Treo, takes up to 2 minutes to boot up to the desktop for "off," but only a second (or two) for the screen to come on from standby. The Vaio comes out of standby in under 2 seconds - and has about 6 hours duration at full operation (or all day long in and out of standby).
    There's not two ways about it. Vaios are VERY nice machines. I'm really liking the TZ90 you pointed out. I just need to figure out a way to justify getting one.

It's called a UMPC and I use it in place of my laptop - primarily because it's more useful. I guess that means I'm not average.
    I'm not sure I'd have much use for such a machine due to the non-conventional form factor.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    TI'm not sure I'd have much use for such a machine due to the non-conventional form factor.
    In the office it looks like a computer (drop it into the included dock and everything's like a regular computer) - on the road it's either a notepad (using Tablet PC software), a PPC (using the built-in thumb board), or a laptop (using a BT keyboard and mouse). It syncs up to my Q9m via BT and uses it as an EVDO modem which is fast enough for mobile video conferencing. At 1.2 pounds there's really never a good excuse to leave it behind.
    Although it's not perfect, I'm getting an OLPC http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:AP1_13.jpg

they will be selling them next month for $400 (buy one give one program)
    HP200LX -> Palm Pilot -> Palm III -> Sony PEG-300 -> Sony PEG-N710C -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> (iPhone or Treo 800L or something unexpected)??
  8. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    Although it's not perfect, I'm getting an OLPC http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:AP1_13.jpg

You know I'm not a vain man, but there is no way I'd even think about using this device anywhere but behind closed doors. Perhaps you are purchasing this for your kids.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Nope, you are way off base. Too bad you didn't read the Foleo developers guide before they pulled it. The Foleo had a custom GUI and was optimized in many ways to facilitate instant one. It went far deeper than a stripped down OS and a suspend mode.

Do you have any basis at all for the statements you are making? Have you ever created a Foleo Clone as you seem to be implying? If so, I'd like to buy one from you. I think there a few others on here who would buy one from you as well.
    What is this instant one you speak of? Is it somehow related to The Matrix?

Sorry. That aside, Linux already has its share of custom GUIs, many of which are very minimalistic and would suit your needs perfectly.

And if you really want me to build you a Linux Laptop, I'd be happy to oblige.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  10. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    What is this instant one you speak of? Is it somehow related to The Matrix?

Sorry. That aside, Linux already has its share of custom GUIs, many of which are very minimalistic and would suit your needs perfectly.

And if you really want me to build you a Linux Laptop, I'd be happy to oblige.
    CountBuggula, I can't help but to think that you are standing up on a soap box with your approach to this. Please don't think I'm flaming you -- I really am not. I honestly don't think you are really thinking this through and looking at what is really out there. I am very much a proactive person with respect to technology, especially with respect to the computers I work with. I am constantly reading technical blogs, mailing list posts, etc, etc. about this topic. If there was anything out there that did what the Foleo claimed to do, I'd be all over it. I have no real loyalty to Palm. Problem is, I really do not feel there is ANYTHING out there that did what the Foleo does.

Gameboy is a member of this community who was fortunate enough to actually use a Foleo on a daily basis. I hope he's reading and can respond to this thread. Gameboy, do you think there is another mobile PC out there that performs like the Foleo?

The Truth About MonaVie:
    CountBuggula, I can't help but to think that you are standing up on a soap box with your approach to this. Please don't think I'm flaming you -- I really am not. I honestly don't think you are really thinking this through and looking at what is really out there. I am very much a proactive person with respect to technology, especially with respect to the computers I work with. I am constantly reading technical blogs, mailing list posts, etc, etc. about this topic. If there was anything out there that did what the Foleo claimed to do, I'd be all over it. I have no real loyalty to Palm. Problem is, I really do not feel there is ANYTHING out there that did what the Foleo does.

Gameboy is a member of this community who was fortunate enough to actually use a Foleo on a daily basis. I hope he's reading and can respond to this thread. Gameboy, do you think there is another mobile PC out there that performs like the Foleo?
    I think the issue here is we're just looking at the problem from two different perspectives. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're looking for a retail solution that has everything the Foleo would've had, out of box. And what I'm saying is you can take current hardware, pair it with available free (open source) software, and come up with a comparable solution.
  12. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    I think the issue here is we're just looking at the problem from two different perspectives. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're looking for a retail solution that has everything the Foleo would've had, out of box. And what I'm saying is you can take current hardware, pair it with available free (open source) software, and come up with a comparable solution.
    No, I'm looking at it from the standpoint that there isn't a Linux solution currently available that is similar to Foleo Linux. About the closest I've seen is Puppy Linux. Given that their website has been throwing errors for several weeks now, I'd say theres a good chance this project is on its last legs.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post

hmmm lets call this a Bump with good laughs...What a Ugly Ugly laptop/notebook whatever you want to call it lol
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    hmmm lets call this a Bump with good laughs...What a Ugly Ugly laptop/notebook whatever you want to call it lol
    I suppose it is if your an unfeeling, heartless ******* from a rich country with more disposable income that you know what to do with. It's probably a dream come true for a dirt poor kid trying to have a hope of making something out of life. It's all about context.
    I suppose it is if your an unfeeling, heartless ******* from a rich country with more disposable income that you know what to do with.
    kupe.. Members that jump having no reason turning threads into negative are becoming more & more common
    I never downed lower income...I downed looks of a notebook.
    Go to your local Circuit City and take a look at the very very ugly Toshiba Qosmio that cost over 3000 Dollars = Money doesnt buy Pretty.
    If you don't like opinions you may want to reevaluate your recreational forum play time because your way out of line throwing un-needed personal insults were they Don't belong.
    Last edited by slingbox; 10/21/2007 at 03:06 PM. Reason: kupe.. Members that jump having no reason turning threads into negative are becoming more & more common :rolleyes:
    f you don't like opinions you may want to reevaluate your recreational forum play time because your way out of line throwing un-needed personal insults were they Don't belong.
    Back at you big guy. Did you think my post was directed at you? I don't even know you...well, at least I didn't until I read your response!

P.S. What country are you from? Maybe I'll have them send a few OLPCs your way.
  17. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    I suppose it is if your an unfeeling, heartless ******* from a rich country with more disposable income that you know what to do with. It's probably a dream come true for a dirt poor kid trying to have a hope of making something out of life. It's all about context.
    I certainly don't know anyone over the age of about 12 that would buy one of those things except possibly a parent buying one for a kid.

If we were here debating the economic standing of different societies that would be one thing, but we aren't. We are here debating Palm products and related technologies.

Fact is, most people in "low income" or third world countries couldn't afford a Treo and likely can't even afford a means at getting on these boards. Does that make all of use Treo owners heartless and unfeeling? No, that's life and has nothing to do with thanking the Foleo Team.

Perhaps your sentiments would be better appreciated here:

http://www.complaintforum.com/

or here:

http://www.cybersoapbox.com/

The Truth About MonaVie:
    I think notebook in link below looks pretty darn ugly.
    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:AP1_13.jpg

I then shared my feelings on it.
    POST# 53
    Originally Posted by Sling
    hmmm lets call this a Bump with good laughs...What a Ugly Ugly laptop/notebook whatever you want to call it lol.
    End Post

Kupes reply to my post.
    POST# 54
    Originally Posted by Kupe
    I suppose it is if your an unfeeling, heartless ******* from a rich country with more disposable income that you know what to do with. It's probably a dream come true for a dirt poor kid trying to have a hope of making something out of life. It's all about context
    END Post

My response to kupes Personal insults to me.
    POST# 55
    Originally Posted by Sling
    kupe.. Members that jump having no reason turning threads into negative are becoming more & more common
    I never downed lower income...I downed looks of a notebook.
    Go to your local Circuit City and take a look at the very very ugly Toshiba Qosmio that cost over 3000 Dollars = Money doesn't buy Pretty.
    If you don't like opinions you may want to reevaluate your recreational forum play time because your way out of line throwing un-needed personal insults were they Don't belong.
    END Post

Kupe doing a bad job trying to play it off.
    POST# 56
    Originally Posted by Kupe
    Back at you big guy. Did you think my post was directed at you? I don't even know you...well, at least I didn't until I read your response!
    P.S. What country are you from? Maybe I'll have them send a few OLPCs your way
    END Post

No OLPCs needed Kupe....it was good chatting with you.
    Last edited by slingbox; 10/23/2007 at 12:29 PM.
    No OLPCs needed Kupe....it was good chatting with you.
    Good chatting at you too. And thanks for the re-re-re-post of this thread - I guess your OLPC doesn't scroll backward, eh?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123