Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FWIW, the Foleo would have been perfect for me IF it had had a radio built in, both so that I could access the internet when no wi-fi around and so I could place calls with a BT headset.

I know there would be issues and difficulties with that, but that is the device I would have bought even at 400+ buckaroos.
    A lot of love in this room.

I unfortunately do not have the love, after watching Palm make mistake after mistake, and not learn from them.

I'm sure the void will be filled one of these days by another party.

Perhaps Apple?
    I also want to genuinely thank the Foleo team - we talked a bit about the Foleo cancellation during the podcast and it really has hit me since recording it - it coulda been. I really do think that the experience the Foleo team has with building a custom linux platform is going to do wonders for speeding the development of the next-gen Linux PalmOS.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    I personally like the idea of a smartphone companion. The idea of not having to use my laptop and having greater screen space and a keyboard, for a modest price was a great. I was really hoping for it [the Foleo] to be something more akin to a new, larger size UX-50. Something that I could use with a smartphone - or just with any BT equipped phone.

I used to use my UX-50 with a BT phone and loved the combo. I was really hoping the Foleo would have ushered that era back for me.

At work we have to use BB's, but I would have serioulsy considerd shelling out the $$$ for the Foleo if it would have meant the return of Palm-esque features in that archtecture. Tasks, PIM, e-mail,... on the BB just don't compare to the apps on a treo.
    I think Palm identified a product category that we needed. And instant-on device that does most of what you need to do. It's not an UMPC, it's not a full laptop. This is a 'new' category that we need.

Foleo (V1) missed the target slightly, but in the process they did bring awareness to the need for this category. But it was close.

I'm hoping the Foleo fills the gaps. Having said that I'll most likely buy the Foleo 2 if they do hit the target.

I also say thank you to the Foleo Team. It was not work or money totally wasted.
    The more I follow the UMPC category, the more I think the Palm Foleo was right track, wrong train. UMPCs are very interesting, but they are still underpowered and suffer from either too small a screen or lack a keyboard. Because they're full PCs, they're trying to be everything to everyone. I had the opportunity to check out a Foleo at the Palm Foleo sneak peek back in August (July?) here in NYC. One thing I walked away from was just how great the instant-on functionality is and the more I think about it, the more I like it. I don't think it really needed a lot to be a success. Simple, light, with good battery life. Look at what Intel is doing with their MID (Mobile Internet Device) platform. Same thing, just smaller. Perhaps too small for me, but still, better focused. I want an all day Internet device that I can turn on, type out a fast note or surf quickly and turn off. A PDA is too small and underpowered, a laptop is too heavy and complex. I'll probably have both for a long time, but a third device that really focuses on the Internet, yeah, that would be nice. Too bad the Foleo wasn't it.

I'll be looking forward to Foleo II as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I think Palm identified a product category that we needed. And instant-on device that does most of what you need to do. It's not an UMPC, it's not a full laptop. This is a 'new' category that we need.

Foleo (V1) missed the target slightly, but in the process they did bring awareness to the need for this category. But it was close.

I'm hoping the Foleo fills the gaps. Having said that I'll most likely buy the Foleo 2 if they do hit the target.

I also say thank you to the Foleo Team. It was not work or money totally wasted.
    I really don't think they've brought awareness to a need of any sort of new category at all. What they have done is bring awareness of how many people out there are truly ignorant to what can already be done with current hardware and software. It's perfectly possible to have an "instant on" linux laptop with everyone people have been "clamoring for" in the Foleo, plus so much more. The Foleo and its concept were completely overpriced and underpowered for today's market, and canceling it was the best decision Palm's made in the since the new millennium.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    CountBuggula,

Don't take this the wrong way, I know there is a lot of potential in Linux and that its uptake has been slow. But if you know of a Linux based laptop that weighs no more than 2.5 lbs and has a battery with a minimum of 4+ REAL hours of life, by all means, please point me to it. It should also have a screen larger than 7", include WiFi and bluetooth and be under $600.

Palm may have fallen short on the deal, but I haven't seen ANYTHING that hits that mark yet.

Also, instant-on should be "INSTANTLY". Even the new ASUS eee PC 701 takes approximately 25 seconds to boot up. Now that's great and all, but it most certainly is not "instant-on".

I don't pretend to be a Linux expect, heck I'm hardly a Linux novice, but I honestly don't think there is anything out there that really hits that mark. It's always "close" or "a good compromise". Please point me to the promised land! :-)
    Instant on is, and always has been marketing BS fluff. It doesn't exist. Take anything you think has instant on, your Treo for instance. Now remove the battery. Put it back in, and tell me how long it takes to be usable. It sure isn't instant. When you push the power button on your Treo it doesn't turn on and off, it just goes into "suspend" or "low-power" mode. You can't actually turn the whole thing off (even by turning the phone radio off) using the power button. There's still something in the background running, system processes are loaded in memory, and eventually the battery will run out if not charged. Any laptop can do the exact same thing, whether it runs Windoze, Linux, or MacOS.

So grab whatever cheap laptop you want, make sure it includes bluetooth/wifi/whatever you need, and install Ubuntu if it's a newer laptop or Xubuntu if it's older and underpowered (think Foleo specs). Xubuntu will also give longer battery life due to its lower system requirements and lower processing loads.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  10. vrf
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Instant on is, and always has been marketing BS fluff. It doesn't exist.
    My Nintendo DS turns on instantly, and so does my AlphaSmart Neo.

I believe someday all portable computers--not just toys--will have that kind of true mobility.

The speed and convenience of a pocket calculator, the power of a subnotebook.

It's coming.
  11. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    CountBuggula,

Don't take this the wrong way, I know there is a lot of potential in Linux and that its uptake has been slow. But if you know of a Linux based laptop that weighs no more than 2.5 lbs and has a battery with a minimum of 4+ REAL hours of life, by all means, please point me to it. It should also have a screen larger than 7", include WiFi and bluetooth and be under $600.

Palm may have fallen short on the deal, but I haven't seen ANYTHING that hits that mark yet.

Also, instant-on should be "INSTANTLY". Even the new ASUS eee PC 701 takes approximately 25 seconds to boot up. Now that's great and all, but it most certainly is not "instant-on".

I don't pretend to be a Linux expect, heck I'm hardly a Linux novice, but I honestly don't think there is anything out there that really hits that mark. It's always "close" or "a good compromise". Please point me to the promised land! :-)
    Agreed. If there really is another piece of hardware, ANYWHERE, out there that simply gives the instant on, small form factor, and only the essential apps, I'm all over it.

Palm would have easily cornered this market.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  12. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Instant on is, and always has been marketing BS fluff. It doesn't exist. Take anything you think has instant on, your Treo for instance. Now remove the battery. Put it back in, and tell me how long it takes to be usable. It sure isn't instant. When you push the power button on your Treo it doesn't turn on and off, it just goes into "suspend" or "low-power" mode. You can't actually turn the whole thing off (even by turning the phone radio off) using the power button. There's still something in the background running, system processes are loaded in memory, and eventually the battery will run out if not charged. Any laptop can do the exact same thing, whether it runs Windoze, Linux, or MacOS.
    I believe it did exist in the Foleo. You bring up the instant on/off of a Treo. This is exactly how I imagine the Foleo operated. Sure, it's in some kind of a suspend mode, but who cares. Point is, you push one button and instantly an app pops up on the screen (this is what I observed in several Foleo demo videos) There isn't a notebook out there that does this. Having this functionality in a portable computer may be of no value to you, but it is of value to me.

I've been really searching for some kind of a ultra-portable notebook that will even give me a fraction of what the Foleo offered and the closesed I've come is a yet to be released Apple ultra portable and the Sony VGN-TZ190N. The problem with this Sony machine is that it STARTS at $3000.
    Last edited by ~Q~; 09/25/2007 at 12:11 AM.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Point is, you push one button and instantly an app pops up on the screen (this is what I observed in several Foleo demo videos) There isn't a notebook out there that does this.
    I'm not sure what you mean by instant on then. My UX380N comes on and it usable in ~1.5 seconds from standby (which I keep it in all day long with the extended battery). It takes ~5 seconds when I lock it and have to use the fingerprint reader to access it (depending on how fast my index finger is!). I thought that was pretty much instant. Is instant even faster?

I've been really searching for some kind of a ultra-portable notebook that will even give me a fraction of what the Foleo offered and the closesed I've come is a yet to be released Apple ultra portable and the Sony VGN-TZ190N. The problem with this Sony machine is that it STARTS at $3000.
    Get the TZ90 from Dynamsm at significant savings - only $2,500!
    I believe it did exist in the Foleo. You bring up the instant on/off of a Treo. This is exactly how I imagine the Foleo operated. Sure, it's in some kind of a suspend mode, but who cares. Point is, you push one button and instantly an app pops up on the screen (this is what I observed in several Foleo demo videos) There isn't a notebook out there that does this. Having this functionality in a portable computer may be of no value to you, but it is of value to me.
    Um...of course laptops can do this. Just leave your email app open when you close the lid or suspend or whatever. Open the lid again, and *poof* email! You don't even have to push a button with most laptops!

Plenty of laptops also have extra hard buttons that automatically open Word/Excel/Media Player/Internet/etc. with one push, or can be assigned to any program.

Like I said, I can't believe how many people don't know these things can already be done with current hardware.
    Agreed. If there really is another piece of hardware, ANYWHERE, out there that simply gives the instant on, small form factor, and only the essential apps, I'm all over it.

Palm would have easily cornered this market.
    Oh, wait, I'm confused. Are you asking for something that has at least the essential apps or do you really want something that is inherently crippled by having "only the essential apps"? I really don't understand that mindset. Of course, with any Linux distribution you can simply uninstall (or choose not to install) whatever packages you don't want or think you won't need.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    CountBuggula I don't think most people are saying that they can't do it with current hardware but there is nothing that makes it as easy and simple as the Foleo did. In under 3 second I could cut it on (same as a PDA) and open the web browser. I don't care what system you are using you simply can't do it with that speed. My monitor nearly takes that long to come on!
    The Foleo is being compared to laptop when its actually a over grown PDA.
    I see it like this.... we have desktop pc(macs too) and we have/had pda's.
    Home or office you had your desktop and when mobile you had/have your pda. So the idea was to shrink down the desktop to let you go mobile and the pda merges with the cell phone. So now Palm is introducting a pda merged with the laptop. Meaning a "true" mobile OS on a mobile device. So you have the instant (really fast) resume, you have the large screen, you have the pros of a pda. Which from the start was meant to be mobile.
    Don't get me wrong sometimes I would love to make a new design in PS or edit a home video while on a plane train or automobile but not so much . So for me the Foleo was a damn good device.
    FACT: If I'm sitting on the couch next the my pc and my laptop on the table in front of me and I just want to surf the web I would walk into the next room to get the Foleo.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  17. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by instant on then. My UX380N comes on and it usable in ~1.5 seconds from standby (which I keep it in all day long with the extended battery). It takes ~5 seconds when I lock it and have to use the fingerprint reader to access it (depending on how fast my index finger is!). I thought that was pretty much instant. Is instant even faster?
    I've yet to see a notebook with my own eyes that comes out of hybernation this quickly and I've owned quite a few of them.

Update: Let me clarify my statement here a bit as didn't know what the UX380N is (and I still don't, but I have viewed it on the Sony website). Perhaps this unit does fire up this quickly. Yes it is a computer (so is my HDTV cable box come to think of it), but it certainly is not a notebook. I'm not sure exactly what you'd call it, but there's no way the average computer user could use this for typical PC needs.

Get the TZ90 from Dynamsm at significant savings - only $2,500!
    Very nice. $2,900 for this unit with a solid state hard drive is a healthy sum for a any PC. However, it is enticing.
    Last edited by ~Q~; 09/25/2007 at 11:44 AM.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  18. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Like I said, I can't believe how many people don't know these things can already be done with current hardware.
    I don't believe it currently is being done by any other notebook out there, and I'm not a computer illiterate person, but I can see you are pretty intrenched in your position on this.

The Truth About MonaVie:
  19. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Oh, wait, I'm confused. Are you asking for something that has at least the essential apps or do you really want something that is inherently crippled by having "only the essential apps"? I really don't understand that mindset. Of course, with any Linux distribution you can simply uninstall (or choose not to install) whatever packages you don't want or think you won't need.
    I wouldn't call what I've been describing as crippled. It is essentially a desire to carry a mobile computer without the overhead of un-needed software/hardware. What I'm talking about is a modern unit that is specifically designed and optimized for communication (e.g., email and IM), web browsing, document editing, and PIM. This was basically what the Foleo was offering.

Sure, I could strip down Windoze or Linux to run with a decreased memory and hard drive footprint, but this doesn't mean it is optimized to provide only the tools I listed above. You are still carring around the overhead of the base OS. If it's vista we are talking about, then this would be about 500MB of required RAM, with nothing loaded but the OS.

You may not have a use the type of device I've described, but I (and many others) do.

The Truth About MonaVie:
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    My UX380N comes on and it usable in ~1.5 seconds from standby...
    Ah but that's a UMPC and not a laptop/notebook
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast