Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Unbelievable. So much for the revolution.
    Ah one less forum???
    Maybe they are really concentrating on the Centro and regaining marketshare in the smartphone arena. I don't think this is a sign that palm is clueless, but they are listening to comments on the internet about whats good and bad. Afterall they did respond to Engadget's open letter.
    Good move, but how does wall street or anyone put faith in Colligan? How many hundreds of millions was wasted on that, while the rest of Palm languished.

This smells of desparation, not realization.

I guess we will see what happens now with their new focus...
    ...actually before arrival -- an abortion, a stillbirth.

it was a mistake from before the concept hit the napkin like a watered down Catsup stain.

Lets hope that its a sign of realism and and insight -- not of desperation.

(why can't I capitolize DOA ???)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Sounds like the right move. I think there's a market for a Foleo-like device but not at the current price or feature set.

I'd jump at the chance for a liquidated unit at $199. I hope they dump them to a reseller rather than bury them in a landfill..
    Agree that there's a niche for a Foleo-like device. Rumors of an '08 Apple ultra-mobile notebook, change the landscape a bit. So do rumors of an HTC-built Google Gphone in '08, which could sync Google apps to a variety of devices.

Thought Palm could co-develop Treo & Foleo. A Foleo-like product is still a good idea for long-term (10 yr plan), if it doesn't use up too many short-term resources (Linux coders, engineers etc).
    Their investors will NOT like this. While a great move in the scheme of things, I wonder what kind of effect this will have for them in the immediate short term, even with Centro coming.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Their investors will NOT like this.
    Maybe it was the investors (ie Elevation Partners) who nixed this idea?
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    honestly I don't know what to think... when I open my mouth only thing that comes out is wow!!
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Wow.

Gotta say I'm shocked (and disappointed, I was one of the few that really wanted one!).

OTOH, people and groups like Engadget have basically said to do just that: nix the whole thing and it looks like they did.

I guess, in a way, this is a good thing since at least it sounds like Palm is listening to its users and the market.

Still--hope I can find one on the blackmarket somewhere! PM me if anyone has one...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Malatesta:

I couple of things come to mind and are somewhat more dissappointing if you read through Ed's letter...first, they didnt have the resources to do both the Foleo and bring out new phones...as Ed indicates...we want to focus all our efforts on the new platform...

Second, looks like windows mobile will play second fiddle in the future as Palm focuses on the Linux OS...Im not saying that this is wrong, but having owned the Windows Palm, Im even more concerned about future upgrades to that lineage of phones...looks like to me going forward as Ed indicates that Palm really only wants to support its new OS and let the rest fall by the wastside...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    Malatesta:

I couple of things come to mind and are somewhat more dissappointing if you read through Ed's letter...first, they didnt have the resources to do both the Foleo and bring out new phones...as Ed indicates...we want to focus all our efforts on the new platform...

Second, looks like windows mobile will play second fiddle in the future as Palm focuses on the Linux OS...Im not saying that this is wrong, but having owned the Windows Palm, Im even more concerned about future upgrades to that lineage of phones...looks like to me going forward as Ed indicates that Palm really only wants to support its new OS and let the rest fall by the wastside...
    Yup, I agree. I was under the impression it wasn't taking away resources but I was wrong on that one. It makes sense though: we now learned that the Foleo OS and new Linux for their phones are completely different.

As far as WM goes: I always understood Palm's plan like this (from their own slides):

• WM is for business/corporate/professional/international
    • POSII is for power users, mass-audience, etc.

(source)

No doubt once POSII comes out, that will be their #1 concern (as it should be) but it will be interesting to see what happens to WM--hopefully it won't slide.

13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    Malatesta:

I'm not worried they'll drop Windows Mobile, really.

What does worry me is that they were pursuing two different platforms in the first place. i'd assumed that the Linux PalmOS was going to be related/based/SOMETHING to the FoleoOS.
    That's unfortunate, as more software has been announced I've been more and more excited about the Foleo. Maybe in the future they'll still release it, or maybe even better would be if this means their Linux smartphones are further along than previously thought. I wonder if Palm has a small stock of them they'll want to sell for cheap unsupported, I'd definitely buy one for $300 or so, just with the announced apps, even if it was unsupported.
  15. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Wow, this is a shock. My condolences to those who were looking forward to this device, but I was not one of those people. I'm sad to see that it took so much money and so close to release for Palm to realize this was the wrong direction. I hope they can get it together quickly and dramatically in the smartphone world, because my threshold for jumping to the iPhone is getting lower and lower the more I realize how little Palm cares about developing their platform, or even maintaining it in a functional state.
    I think this was exactly the right choice. As recent web activity has made clear, there is a huge constituency of us who love Palm and will fight to the death for them, but feel like suddenly we looked up from the front lines and realized we were fighting alone. Palm's stubborn refusal to acknowledge and fix problems with it's flagship Palm OS models, especially the 700p, couples with it's mystifying distraction with the Foleo as *the next big thing* had many of us at the point of despair. Finally, finally, finally, it feels like they get it. Like they know they can't take us for granted. That they know they MUST deliver a superior core product - an amazing, fun, powerful, open ended smart phone that leads the curve. I now have faith they will, and I'm personally ready to battle any iphones I see until Q1 2008 when my new Linux treo will blow them all away. Go PALM!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    I'm not worried they'll drop Windows Mobile, really.
    Plus 50% of Treos are now WM--so no reason to throw that market away.

I'm sure they would like change that % to more favor POSII while keeping the actual numbers of WM Treos. That's increasing market share and revenue.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Oh ****!
    Any idea when we will see the first stock units on eBay?
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    It's a bold move from Palm, exactly what they need to do to get back in the game.

It is the right thing to do, although the move will cost them money I am sure they will have a post-mortem were things that they developed for the Foleo will be (if not directly) applyied to the Linux platform they have so long promised.

We hardly knew ye, Palm Foleo. Go forth and evolve into something that brings back the Awe in Palm products.

Conspiracy theory of the day: Definitely one has but wonder if all the negative Foleo energy in the interwebs had something to do with them canning the project. I doubt it but who knows, maybe the whole web 2.0 is already a powerful machinery indeed that can bring (thin iPhone) or break (Foleo?) a product.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast