Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    it's definitely not "poor" but it definitely can't be considered for true business email needs. for general needs it works just fine. if you want your email right away just check for it, if not, set it for longer cycles. should you be able to attach photos and delete more than one message at a time? absolutely.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    it's definitely not "poor" but it definitely can't be considered for true business email needs. for general needs it works just fine. if you want your email right away just check for it, if not, set it for longer cycles. should you be able to attach photos and delete more than one message at a time? absolutely.
    I don't think you're helping. What you describe sounds sub-Versamail. Versamail is poor.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I don't think the email on the iphone was that bad. It loaded quick..showed the whole email in html that could be zoomed in or out on. Was simple. And the attachment viewer was great..

Apple will fix the delete multiple thing in time..
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    I don't think you're helping. What you describe sounds sub-Versamail. Versamail is poor.
    what i'm describing is what is on my iPhone and how it works for me. it works just fine and is hardly "poor" as you make it out to be. i know it's hard for you to understand as it is not yet available to you in the UK.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    what i'm describing is what is on my iPhone and how it works for me. it works just fine and is hardly "poor" as you make it out to be. i know it's hard for you to understand as it is not yet available to you in the UK.
    It's not me that's making it out to be poor. I'm just going on your list of things it can't do*, like attach photos, handle push email or delete in bulk, which doesn't exactly make me want to give up Chatter.

*Versamail can do 2 of those 3 things, BTW.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    These two statements don't seem a million miles apart to me. I'm not sure what the argument is.
    I'm just saying it's not poor, but acceptable for average use. Poor would mean almost unusable to me. Heavy emailers probably SHOULD use BB or Treo. I use my laptop to respond a lot of the time, and I learned I may have to use POP email on the iPhone for my domain email(yuck) which I think may mean all email is stuck on my phone and removed from the server entirely, which I really don't like. So in my case, I can use it on an average basis(aol, gmail, now looking into another IMAP program), so I can't call it poor. JMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It's not me that's making it out to be poor. I'm just going on your list of things it can't do*, like attach photos, handle push email or delete in bulk, which doesn't exactly make me want to give up Chatter.

We have different definitions of poor, that's what it is.
    To me, poor is barely able to use. But I don't necessarily need push in my case. I can pull on a regular basis, and people just need to call or text if they really need an answer that quickly, LOL!

I do wish iPhone had better handling of it's delete functions, whether it be email, text or phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    We have different definitions of poor, that's what it is.
    To me, poor is barely able to use. But I don't necessarily need push in my case. I can pull on a regular basis, and people just need to call or text if they really need an answer that quickly, LOL!
    That is true. We all have different expectations of an email program. Those who consider email a core application for their smart phone are going to be more demanding than those looking for a multi-media device that can also handle phone calls and email.

For corporate use a BB talking to a Blackberry Enterprise Server providing push email and over the air sync with Outlook is clearly the gold standard. Corporations will not be switching their users to the IPhone.

If you don't have access to a BES, Chattermail is a much better choice since it supports cheap or free server solutions using open standards like IMAP. It also handles attachments much better than the BB. I use a BB provided by my employer for corporate email and a Treo running Chattermail for my personal email. I may not need push email for personal use but it's what I am used to and what I have come to expect. Also, I can see pulling email in over a slow Edge connection.

I am honestly a little surprised by all the people who have replaced their Treos with iPhones. I am a little less surprised by those who have switched to BB device though I don't think it is the best choice for a non-corporate device.

And to get back on topic for a second, I really don't get the appeal of the Foleo. If Palm had released the Foleo, I think it would have been a niche product.

Which 1 of these things can't be done?
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    That is true. We all have different expectations of an email program. Those who consider email a core application for their smart phone are going to be more demanding than those looking for a multi-media device that can also handle phone calls and email.

For corporate use a BB talking to a Blackberry Enterprise Server providing push email and over the air sync with Outlook is clearly the gold standard. Corporations will not be switching their users to the IPhone.

If you don't have access to a BES, Chattermail is a much better choice since it supports cheap or free server solutions using open standards like IMAP. It also handles attachments much better than the BB. I use a BB provided by my employer for corporate email and a Treo running Chattermail for my personal email. I may not need push email for personal use but it's what I am used to and what I have come to expect. Also, I can see pulling email in over a slow Edge connection.

I am honestly a little surprised by all the people who have replaced their Treos with iPhones. I am a little less surprised by those who have switched to BB device though I don't think it is the best choice for a non-corporate device.
    And to get back on topic for a second, I really don't get the appeal of the Foleo. If Palm had released the Foleo, I think it would have been a niche product.
    I honestly am not surprised. The device understanding is loyalty from Palm users and the lack of or not tap into the devices capablities makes the difference inspite of any related funtional issues with the Treo. I have friends that have loads of programs and are power users that have pushed the Treo to the limit almost and it fullfills there every need from business to personal leisure fun with such tweakability as where I have a couple of friends that have Treos with a couple of apps that haven't even begin to tap into what the Treo is capable of and seem more to only notice its bugs. My Power user friends see the iPhone as a pretty face thats useless to them and a blackberry's "just works" capablities for communication as not being enough, as where the moderate Treo users I know are in Aaaagghh by the iPhone and being tired of their buggy Treos like the "just works" capablity of Blackberry.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jessi_9783 View Post

Which 1 of these things can't be done?
    Push email.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I'm just saying it's not poor...
    Actually, I never described it as poor, either. I was just trying to point out that there was a bit of defensiveness about in response to ADGrant's use of the word "poor" (to illustrate, you morphed this into "horrible").
    I tend to exxagerate sometimes, LOL!
    You're right, he never said horrible, just poor.

Although if it were poor for my situation, I'd have been the first to tell you, LOL!

14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Thing to bear in mind - the iphone is first generation, the OS under the treo platform is ten years old.

Let's look at the situation again in a couple of years when the iphone is a couple of generations on and the Palm OS is em..erm.. more than likely just the same.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Thing to bear in mind - the iphone is first generation, the OS under the treo platform is ten years old.
    The OS under the iPhone platform is 38 years old if you want to compare like with like!
    Push email.
    Actually, VersaMail 3.5.3 and later do a really good job, in my experience, with push email from Exchange servers. I've been using some version of that with Palm's own mail servers for a year now, and mail gets delivered to the Treo at the same time as it hits Outlook on my desk.
    I read this article, "The Palm Foleo Disaster: Part One", yesterday. Interesting.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    Actually, VersaMail 3.5.3 and later do a really good job, in my experience, with push email from Exchange servers. I've been using some version of that with Palm's own mail servers for a year now, and mail gets delivered to the Treo at the same time as it hits Outlook on my desk.
    But unlike Chattermail, not the open standard, IMAP. I bought into Palm to get away from proprietary and expensive software like Exchange.
    I would really have liked to have a Foleo, even at the full price. But I can understand why Palm has pulled it, and I hope this means that whatever's coming in future will be even better.

...I learned I may have to use POP email on the iPhone for my domain email(yuck) which I think may mean all email is stuck on my phone and removed from the server entirely, which I really don't like. So in my case, I can use it on an average basis(aol, gmail, now looking into another IMAP program), so I can't call it poor. JMO.
    It seems to be a common misconception that POP emailing always removes mail from the server. It only does so if you set it to do so. For the last few months I was using my Treo 600 to check work email. I was using the standard built-in email program which only has POP3. It worked alright and left my read emails on the server, marked as "read". Now I'm on a Treo 680 and accessing work email with IMAP through Versamail. It's better, sure, but POP3 was usable too.
    what a waste of R&D funds :-(

what a joke
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567