Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmFive View Post
    I live in the Vail Valley. Around here we say, "Go big or stay home". Palm went big with this decision, I'm proud of them. It takes courage to do what they did, you gotta give 'em credit.
    You're proud of them?! The Folio was the dumbest thing they ever considered brining to market. How could you possibly be proud of them when they even entertained the concept?

and with the iPhone going off, Palm must make a big move with their next phone..
    Palm has nothing up their sleeve. I had been a loyal Palm user since the Palm Pilot Professional - always pro Palm, touting their benefits, standing up to WM users... But I left my 680 behind and bought an iPhone. Last week (due to circumstances beyond my control) I was seperated from the iPhone for several days and was forced to go back to the 680. There is absolutely no comparison between the two platforms! It's like comparing my original Palm Pilot Pro to the 680 - night and day. Palm led the PDA, and later Smartphone market for years. Unfortunately, they didn't innovate or listen to their customers and its bitten them in the ****.

Dunc
    officers/executives leaving can be both VERY bad and sometimes good.

management "growing a pair" after 8 years of nothingness is not much to boast about. in truth, they have failed shareholders of late, if not too long.

palm gave us a start into the smartphone/pda world. for the past so many years they've almost scripted their way out. there is nothing intuitive about their announcement today but more akin to "smelling the coffee."

lopped off antenna, curved in sides, lesser battery. that was their idea of innovation.....when?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    It's been a miserable year for Palm and perhaps it finally reached rock bottom with the demise of the Foleo. We can only hope Engadget's intervention and all of our posts helped to pull Palm out of it's downward spiral. For us fanboys and fangirls, we can only hope it's not too late.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonlTreo View Post
    ... I am local to the valley and come across Palm product managers regularly at events and parties. Almost unanimously, they are amazed at what I can do with my Treo using add on applications. These folks don't even have a clue what power they are holding in their hands. ...
    wow -- but I believe it. sounds like their staff lost most any vestige of inspiration long ago -- right about when Palm took over Handspring...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    The_Chuacabra has been harrassing me since I challenged his trolling ways in a Flame War on one of the posts he started on here. Now he is calling my office and threatening my employees. I made the mistake of orginally signing up on here with my real name in my original username..

This guy is a nut and clearly has issues.

I really don't need this harrassment nor do I have time for it. I have a business to run. Please stop now!!!

TKOS

I remember this from that other discussion. At this point if you're for real then you need to file a report or something
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    I remember this from that other discussion. At this point if you're for real then you need to file a report or something
    this is why I make it a practice to never venture beyond the safe polite confines of OT --- I'm too sensitive for these other forums ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RonlTreo View Post
    I'll tell you something funny but very sad. I have had Treos since the 270 and now have a trio of 680's (work, home, spouse). I am local to the valley and come across Palm product managers regularly at events and parties. Almost unanimously, they are amazed at what I can do with my Treo using add on applications. These folks don't even have a clue what power they are holding in their hands. Sadder still is that while I have been a product manager and product marketing manager since 1999, I couldn't even get into the door for an interview. Oh well. I am a shareholder and I hope Palm finally wakes up before my wife kills me for buying Palm over RIM. I really thought Palm had the magic.
    Yep, my wife works at Palm and says all the time that her co-workers would be shocked if she brough my treo to the office. They really are quite clueless it seems. Not that everyone with a Palm goes so gung-ho with functionality but basically they don't understand what they should be making, they think what they put in is all anyone would ever want. Palm OS behaves nearly the same as it did in 1999. That's pretty shocking really.
    Why is everybody so positive about canceling the Foleo? To me the news is quite disturbing.

a) If they are ready to spend $10m to get rid of it this device must have been far from being marketable. (simple calculation: $ 10.000.000 equal 2.000 days of programming equal 10 people working for one year). It is strange that they notice this only one or two weeks prior to launch date.

b) this is the third innovation in a row from Palm that fails to be successful (1: Cobalt, 2: Lifedrive 3: Fooleo)

So why do think they will be able to come up with a working PalmUI 2.0? Even if they will come up with a new product the recent history indicates that it will be unsuccessful.
    Not that other companies don't cancel products from time-to-time, but this is a true shocker. Palm has been working on this concept for many a year and now, at the eleventh hour... poof!

So...
    • Good for you, Palm, for seeing the writing on the wall.
    • But there was no reason not to see the writing in the first place. Newer, smaller notebooks challenging Foleo should have been totally expected, for example.
    • If I were one of the Foleo third-party software developers, I'd be looking to Palm for some serious compensation.
    • Please, don't start on Foleo 2 any time soon.
    As I posted in reply to the Palm blog posting: HALLELUJAH! THANK YOU!

This thing needed to die. Even if it is a good idea, the timing is wrong. Investors should be happy about this because it means that Palm is avoiding a huge distraction. Let them focus on the things they need to now and then worry about doing something of dubious value. But to put another half-baked product on the market on top of everything else would just kill them.

What I would like to see Palm do

• Get rid of Garnet
    • Come out with a really innovative convergence device
    • Kill Garnet
    • Finally put LInux where it belongs... IN A TREO
    • Kill Garnet
    • Bring us a really new device, and not yes-another-treo-650-on-plastic-surgery
    • Oh yeah.... KILL GARNET!!

There, I feel better now. But although they waited way to long to realize the obvious, at least they have taken corrective action... and that makes me feel a little better about them for now. But heaven help them if Apple pulls it's head out of is posterior porthole and actually opens up a native SDK for the iPhone. Run, Palm... Run.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmFive View Post
    I live in the Vail Valley. Around here we say, "Go big or stay home". Palm went big with this decision, I'm proud of them. It takes courage to do what they did, you gotta give 'em credit.
    the "Go big" of Palm's decision to drop a pointless product like the Foleo rates right up there with deciding to turn on the flood pumps when a ship starts taking on water and sinking. It's not a decision so much as a reaction to the environment. All this shows is Palm's admission that they should have "stayed home."
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I think the following comment from here probably reveals the truth behind the decision;

<quote>
    I use to work at Palm / Handspring. If you understood the hubris and eccentricity of Jeff Hawkins like those of us who had to work with him did, then you'd understand why Foleo even saw the drawing board, let alone a coveted spot at D. The longer Jeff Hawkins remains affiliated with Palm, the longer they will have trouble. You can't design great products by suddenly having to drop everything and kow-tow to a founder who is checked out and spends almost all of his time focusing on brain research. And yet, that's exactly what happens all the time at Palm.

Every time Hawkins checked out and started getting back to brain research, Palm has had major lapses in design judgement. You can trace it all the way back to the Visor Edge.

And Ed Colligan had too much success, too soon with Handspring. He's not all that interested in focusing on Palm like he would be if he still had not done well with Handspring. True Product geniuses never lose their passion for the products, and at bare minimum, they hire the very best and brightest to keep the flame burning at all times.

Palm has long passed any hope of revival. The best thing for Palm to do now is to sell off the assets and admit defeat. It's a shame that so many of us former and current Handspring Employees and Investors had to indulge the whims of less than fully committed execs like Hawkins, Dubinsky and Colligan.
    </quote>

It could be an ex employee simply venting but it doesn't sound like it to me. It sounds exactly like what goes on in many companies.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I'm shocked, but at the same time I'm not. I'm surprised they will pull a 180 like this, but at the same time most people didn't get the Foleo. I can't see how it would have been a successful product, and maybe Palm finally came to that realization as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    As I posted in reply to the Palm blog posting: HALLELUJAH! THANK YOU!

This thing needed to die. Even if it is a good idea, the timing is wrong. Investors should be happy about this because it means that Palm is avoiding a huge distraction. Let them focus on the things they need to now and then worry about doing something of dubious value. But to put another half-baked product on the market on top of everything else would just kill them.

What I would like to see Palm do

• Get rid of Garnet
    • Come out with a really innovative convergence device
    • Kill Garnet
    • Finally put LInux where it belongs... IN A TREO
    • Kill Garnet
    • Bring us a really new device, and not yes-another-treo-650-on-plastic-surgery
    • Oh yeah.... KILL GARNET!!

There, I feel better now. But although they waited way to long to realize the obvious, at least they have taken corrective action... and that makes me feel a little better about them for now. But heaven help them if Apple pulls it's head out of is posterior porthole and actually opens up a native SDK for the iPhone. Run, Palm... Run.
    But if they kill Garnet the Celtics won't have as good a chance of winning the Eastern Conference!

Let's hope they stick with what they know!
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    officers/executives leaving can be both VERY bad and sometimes good.

management "growing a pair" after 8 years of nothingness is not much to boast about. in truth, they have failed shareholders of late, if not too long.

palm gave us a start into the smartphone/pda world. for the past so many years they've almost scripted their way out. there is nothing intuitive about their announcement today but more akin to "smelling the coffee."

lopped off antenna, curved in sides, lesser battery. that was their idea of innovation.....when?
    Let's not forget a 10 year old OS...

I am amazed by the "wow, they are so brave" comments. This is just validation that execs have no freaking clue what they are doing at Palm.

Cobalt anyone? Develop an OS and for 2 years have not one device implement it. Palm has had more screwups than most companies are ever allowed.

Sure, write off $10M (actual number is likely double or triple), and you save yourself from losing more $$ down the road. So I guess better late than never. But c'mon, this should have never even come out of the gate in this day and age.

The only thing keeping Palm alive has been:

- Treo acquisition
    - WM on Treo

The fact the MS has been slow on WM improvement (IMHO), along with some manufacturers, has kept Palm around a little longer.

I just cry when I think of what those $$ and investments could have been if they put it into smartphones (super thin Treos, full features, cutting edge stuff.)

Oh well. I'm sure some say it was a gutsy decision, but I say, so what? Show me how you are going to refocus the company and make it grow.
    Quote Originally Posted by wagenrad View Post
    Why is everybody so positive about canceling the Foleo? To me the news is quite disturbing.

a) If they are ready to spend $10m to get rid of it this device must have been far from being marketable. (simple calculation: $ 10.000.000 equal 2.000 days of programming equal 10 people working for one year). It is strange that they notice this only one or two weeks prior to launch date.

b) this is the third innovation in a row from Palm that fails to be successful (1: Cobalt, 2: Lifedrive 3: Fooleo)

So why do think they will be able to come up with a working PalmUI 2.0? Even if they will come up with a new product the recent history indicates that it will be unsuccessful.
    Re: Cobalt, LifeDrive, and Foleo, the internal project names for them were actually:

Coprolite, DeathMarch, and TOA (Turd On Arrival)
    Freakin amazing - you'd thought they'd realise to do this say about FOUR months ago! At least it may mean SOME hope for the treo line...
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    I think the following comment from here probably reveals the truth behind the decision;

<quote>
    I use to work at Palm / Handspring. If you understood the hubris and eccentricity of Jeff Hawkins like those of us who had to work with him did, then you'd understand why Foleo even saw the drawing board, let alone a coveted spot at D. The longer Jeff Hawkins remains affiliated with Palm, the longer they will have trouble. You can't design great products by suddenly having to drop everything and kow-tow to a founder who is checked out and spends almost all of his time focusing on brain research. And yet, that's exactly what happens all the time at Palm.

Every time Hawkins checked out and started getting back to brain research, Palm has had major lapses in design judgement. You can trace it all the way back to the Visor Edge.

And Ed Colligan had too much success, too soon with Handspring. He's not all that interested in focusing on Palm like he would be if he still had not done well with Handspring. True Product geniuses never lose their passion for the products, and at bare minimum, they hire the very best and brightest to keep the flame burning at all times.

Palm has long passed any hope of revival. The best thing for Palm to do now is to sell off the assets and admit defeat. It's a shame that so many of us former and current Handspring Employees and Investors had to indulge the whims of less than fully committed execs like Hawkins, Dubinsky and Colligan.
    </quote>

It could be an ex employee simply venting but it doesn't sound like it to me. It sounds exactly like what goes on in many companies.
    Sounds like one part vent another part truth. And it woudl explain much of the lapes in execution that Palm has gone thru. Its really a shame that there is nothing as usable as a PalmOS Treo; that aspect of things seems to be the ONLY thing keeping Palm/Treo in some mindshare of folks.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post

<quote>

</quote>

If you have ever met and chatted with those three, you know this assessment is spot on.

Colligan shouldn't be running a lemonade stand, let alone a public company

Hawkins is the One-Hit-Wonder-Dorian-Gray of the tech world; he's infatuated with his success of youth and it blinds him to the reality of the portrait the rest of the market sees.

They all cashed out and checked out. (COCO)

A few steady souls try to keep the beast on track, but it's a losing battle.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast