Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The thing is, I really like the concept that the Foleo presented. I could care less who actually put it out. I really liked the idea of an instant on unit that did a few things and did them well. I am finding myself now wondering if I could come up with my own homebrewed solution that would be similar in function to what the Foleo promised.

I just can't understand why they didn't at least release it and see how it would fair out. Look at all of the money and resources they spent on all of those sneak peaks and what not. Given that there were nearly ready to release this thing, I would imagine that that have thousands of them sitting in some warehouse somewhere.

What a waste Palm. Worse case, you could have at least sold us the hardware and let us do with it what we pleased.

TKOS
    I wonder whether the developers are going to get compensated for the apps they developed... I wonder how many will sign on to develop for the Foleo II.
    If they had released it and focused their attention on something else there would be 50 "Why Foleo sucks" "Why doesn't Palm fix our foleos" "Lets bombard Palm with fix our Foleo letters"

My God dumping Foleo was by far the best thing Palm has done in 8 years.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Considering this article http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...32369320070904 I' m not surprised they pulled the plug.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    THANK YOU PALM! This is Christmas in September. The Foleo simply makes absolutely no sense. I have two laptop computers, why do I need a Foleo?

Now please concentrate on bringing out STABLE, kickass Linux Treos to keep this longtime Palm user from moving to the iPhone. Pretty please?
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    OK wishful thinking here (even as I was a potential Foleo guy). But does anyone think that the whole Foleo thing was a smokescreen or a test bed of sorts.

The treo community (here in particular) are like hounds after a fox. Relentless in pursuit of the "new" treo and all the hype that we and others put on it. By pushing the Foleo, they got good user feedback on wants and needs, got to work on the Linux based environment, epxperimented with Bluetooth linking to another mobile device (laptop) in a different way than just syncing the basic data just to name a few.

Could it be that they may be on to something more than what we believe?

Skigs
    Wow, just wow! I was even starting to think the Foleo could be a cool device. But it needed a lot of software work. Ebay Palm? I'll take one for a bargain...
    i'll say what so many other said 'wow'.

it's just crazy to think a company would drop a product, one they were billing as the next best thing, this close to the end. It's a mixed bad. Great to focus on the treo. great to realize the market isn't there. bad for the bottom line. bad for the staff confidence.

I wanted to see the foleo as well. however, until the 700p is fixed, i have no intention of buying another plam product. when you weight the good and bad in this, this is a very bold choice, yet the right choice.

It's officially, we have a new definition of silly season.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    This is EXACTLY what they needed to do! Focus on their flagship...the Treo smartphone and their next OS. Make it truly compatible with windows AND mac out of the gate. Make it truly multi-tasking. Improve the hardware.

This is the next step to take Palm into the future!
    Agree 100%...Why have another Lifedrive fiasco?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    The thing is, I really like the concept that the Foleo presented. I could care less who actually put it out. I really liked the idea of an instant on unit that did a few things and did them well. I am finding myself now wondering if I could come up with my own homebrewed solution that would be similar in function to what the Foleo promised.

I just can't understand why they didn't at least release it and see how it would fair out. Look at all of the money and resources they spent on all of those sneak peaks and what not. Given that there were nearly ready to release this thing, I would imagine that that have thousands of them sitting in some warehouse somewhere.

What a waste Palm. Worse case, you could have at least sold us the hardware and let us do with it what we pleased.

TKOS

I agree. I really would like the hardware and the instant on sauce. I can definitely put another linux distro on it and use it. I mean the Foleo is not for everyone. It would have worked great for me!
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    I would hope so... If I were a Palm partner who had expended significant resources on developing Foleo Apps I'd be really P***ED.
    I'm guessing that there were very few of those. Maybe none at all, depending on how you define "significant resources."
    "To that end, and after careful deliberation, I have decided to cancel the Foleo mobile companion product in its current configuratiot to n and focus all of our energies on delivering our next generation platform and the first smartphones that will bring this platform to market. We will, of course, continue to develop products in partnership with Microsoft on the Windows Mobile platform, but from our internal platform development perspective, we will focus on only one."

Ed Collagan

Palm made the right decision here. Had they released foleo they would have to deal with managing four different software platforms. Windows Mobile, Garnet, Linux OS, and Foleo's OS. Remember, Foleo's OS was not Palms future linux os to run on their treos and centros.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    My only question is: Who is Palm going to fire for wasting so many resources designing, developing, testing and marketing this piece of junk. Finally, someone admitted the emperor had no clothes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    My only question is: Who is Palm going to fire for wasting so many resources designing, developing, testing and marketing this piece of junk. Finally, someone admitted the emperor had no clothes!
    Start with Ed.
    at&t iPhone3G
    holy sh!t... talk about taking the trash out. They kicked that to the curb before it even started to rot.

now how about those WiMax Treo's running Linux with optional french fry maker.

-----
    Alright, now that i have that out of my system. This is a good move. Palm will move back to Treo's and can focus on creating one hardware platform for Linux Palms and WM6 devices alike as well as that vaporware Linux Based OS. Let's hope they learn from this and i cannot wait to see a Foleo on ebay going for $700.
    Last edited by bigredgpk; 09/04/2007 at 09:53 PM.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Good move, but how does wall street or anyone put faith in Colligan? How many hundreds of millions was wasted on that, while the rest of Palm languished.

This smells of desparation, not realization.

I guess we will see what happens now with their new focus...
    Mark Hachman - ExtremeTech

"Palm has decided to cancel its Foleo mini-notebook, according to a note chief executive Ed Colligan posted to the company's blog. The company will instead focus upon the "Foleo II," recording a one-time charge of about $10 million to cancel the first-generation product."
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    My God dumping Foleo was by far the best thing Palm has done in 8 years.

Seems Palm's management might be growing a pair....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I live in the Vail Valley. Around here we say, "Go big or stay home". Palm went big with this decision, I'm proud of them. It takes courage to do what they did, you gotta give 'em credit.

If there is a new phone coming from Google (yawn, Google this), and with the iPhone going off, Palm must make a big move with their next phone.

Here's to hoping they do.
    With the foleo cancellation announcement, another important news got lost in the mix - Bruce Dunlevie resigned from the Palm board. Bruce is the original VC who backed Palm way back in the early 1990s. I wonder if Bruce resigned because he disagreed with the decision to cancel Foleo.

I also wonder if Jon Rubenstein had anything to do with the cancellation of the Foleo. He probably took a look at Palm's product roadmap and decided that Palm was spreading itself too thin.

It takes a big man/woman to admit his/her mistake and cut the losses. Foleo is an interesting concept but may be ahead of its time.

Interesting time at Palm for sure.
    I'll tell you something funny but very sad. I have had Treos since the 270 and now have a trio of 680's (work, home, spouse). I am local to the valley and come across Palm product managers regularly at events and parties. Almost unanimously, they are amazed at what I can do with my Treo using add on applications. These folks don't even have a clue what power they are holding in their hands. Sadder still is that while I have been a product manager and product marketing manager since 1999, I couldn't even get into the door for an interview. Oh well. I am a shareholder and I hope Palm finally wakes up before my wife kills me for buying Palm over RIM. I really thought Palm had the magic.
    Clie -> Treo 270 unlocked -> Treo 600 unlocked -> Treo 650 unlocked -> Treo 680 Crimson + Graphite (can you hold on, the other line is ringing...)
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast