Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I am really disappointed in Palm. Bringing a product this close to release, then cancling it.. Wow, what a waste.

Palm needs to pull something off soon as they look like they are a sinking ship.

TKOS
    That was unexpected. Not to mention costly, and embarrassing. Yeah, i'd say they need to focus everything they have on their core line. It's really not too late, as they're a bunch of good ideas out there on what to have, etc.

They have to do it right though and rethink what tomorrow's Treo should be including the desktop software. Hopefully they'll give us some info later.
    good news from palm!!! it's good that someone ar palm realized that the foleo was a piece of garbage. maybe now palm can get some good phones out and focus on their real strength---smartphones!
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    They did give out quite a few Foleo's to developers at the Linux conference so I wouldn't be surprised to see a few appear on eBay
    No, you won't see any on eBay.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Axing the Foleo was the best and bravest thing Palm management has done in years.

Palm is right about where Apple was 10 years ago: marketing stagnant hardware that wasn't as good as the competition's, flogging a creaky old outdated OS well past its useful lifespan, depending on Microsoft to keep them alive, and needing a huge influx of new talent and leadership.

You could say that the iMac saved Apple, and that the iPod made them a player in consumer electronics to help ensure their survival. But the real thing that saved Apple was strong leadership with a clear vision of the near and long term future of the company and the markets they wanted to enter.

That kind of leadership is the only thing that can save Palm from oblivion. Staying the course and just mildly warming over the last product won't help. Developing a "companion" to the Treo could only hurt by draining resources from the core smartphone business.

Killing off the Foleo was just the first baby step in making Palm relevant again. Engadget's list is a long one...
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    That was unexpected. Not to mention costly, and embarrassing. Yeah, i'd say they need to focus everything they have on their core line. It's really not too late, as they're a bunch of good ideas out there on what to have, etc.

They have to do it right though and rethink what tomorrow's Treo should be including the desktop software. Hopefully they'll give us some info later.

I would hope so... If I were a Palm partner who had expended significant resources on developing Foleo Apps I'd be really P***ED. I wonder what it was that caused them to throw in the towel.... This must have been an EXTREMELY difficult descision for them.

However, we haven't seen Ben Crombee in here in quite some time. This downward spiral must have started just after the Linux World convention. Maybe they were getting really bad feedback from the developers who they'd given foleos to.

Again, I am very dissappointed....

TKOS
    Damn. I'm one of the few who was really looking forward to this. A sleek browsing and light office app platform was just what I wanted. Even the email sync function wasn't that interesting for me. The main draw was the great battery life, instant on, and wi-fi. I was hoping to have the ideal "web appliance around the house" device.

Man, and pulling the plug that late? That's some serious hurt in the financial department, not to mention employee morale.

I certainly hope this ends up helping Palm in a big way.
    Visor Platinum w/ VisorPhone > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I agree spurdy... I was looking forward to one for much the same reasons. I hope Palm will reconsider, they could always bring it out in the Fall.
    I am glad Colligan won the power straggle with Hawking. Frankly, Mr.Hawking should know better. Foleo is a dud.
    Quote Originally Posted by treonoid View Post
    Axing the Foleo was the best and bravest thing Palm management has done in years.

Palm is right about where Apple was 10 years ago: marketing stagnant hardware that wasn't as good as the competition's, flogging a creaky old outdated OS well past its useful lifespan, depending on Microsoft to keep them alive, and needing a huge influx of new talent and leadership.

You could say that the iMac saved Apple, and that the iPod made them a player in consumer electronics to help ensure their survival. But the real thing that saved Apple was strong leadership with a clear vision of the near and long term future of the company and the markets they wanted to enter.

That kind of leadership is the only thing that can save Palm from oblivion. Staying the course and just mildly warming over the last product won't help. Developing a "companion" to the Treo could only hurt by draining resources from the core smartphone business.

Killing off the Foleo was just the first baby step in making Palm relevant again. Engadget's list is a long one...
    I agree with your post. Few caveats...Apple was still way better off when they began their comeback, than Palm is now. Poor leadership (eg Sculley/Amelio etc), but still solid foundation and resources. Jobs is a visionary, but he had a lot more to work with.

Agree that Palm needs new leadership (Technologists, not advertising/marketing execs like now).

Nixing Foleo may not be Palm management's decision. Perhaps, Palm's largest investors (who took stewardship just this summer), layed on them to re-focus and stay true to core vision?
    It's my opinion that if they had gone forward with the Foleo, it they would have simply lost money on the whole thing and wasted precious resources that need to go in to smartphones if they want to continue to be competitive in the space. The Foleo wears them thin. Maybe if they re-invent the Foleo with the next gen PalmOS that will match the smartphones, much like HTC's UMPCs running Windows Mobile, perhaps it's a better soultion? I don't know

All I know is after the scathing letter to Palm from Engadget:
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/21/d...-intervention/
    Stop wasting money on the Foleo - We all know this isn't going anywhere. And even if it does do alright -- and let's be real, it's never going to do better than alright -- it's really just a distraction from the main business you're already neglecting. Besides, how many Treo companions do you expectto sell if the Treo itself isn't up to snuff? The Foleo is not the way to make the core product better.
    And after Palm admitted that they discussed this letter in an executive meeting, I'm not totally surprised they cut the Foleo. If they are listening, and it's clear they are, they genuinely want to be doing what's best.

I think it was a great idea, a great concept. May even have been almost a great execution that just missed. But there was something about it that was not totally marketable, at least not enough to make it worth the effort of bringing it to market.
    I am not in the least bit surprised by anything Palm does any more.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I'd be willing to bet this had something to do with the decision...

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Apple Inc's (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) iPhone outsold all smartphones in the United States in July, its first full month on sale, accounting for 1.8 percent of all U.S. mobile handset sales, research group iSuppli said on Tuesday.

ISuppli reiterated its forecast that Apple would sell 4.5 million iPhones this year, rising to more than 30 million in 2011.

The two models of the iPhone on the market sold more than Research in Motion's (RIM.TO: Quote, Profile, Research) Blackberry series, the entire Palm (PALM.O: Quote, Profile, Research) portfolio and any individual smartphone model from Motorola (MOT.N: Quote, Profile, Research), Nokia (NOK1V.HE: Quote, Profile, Research) or Samsung (005930.KS: Quote, Profile, Research).

Complete article here -

http://www.reuters.com/article/wtMos...32369320070904
    I think new comers like the EEEPC has played a much bigger role in killing the Foloe than the iPhone.
    Well, to be honest, the Foleo name was dumb to start with. Treopad? Palm Smartpad? Something that close to a laptop needed a distinction and better name than simply Foleo (portfolio comes to mind..but in this case, they probably needed better).

It also might've been too ambitious trying to tie it in with all past treos and perhaps would work better as a bundle with a specific treo. I did like the possible price and combined with 10" screen..i was curious even if i did want a better treo. It's just not something i'd deviate from the core business to do yet with other smartphone competitors coming on strong.

I doubt we ever see it again from them even if they did mention a foleo II later (are they nuts?). They really shouldn't mention that name again. It's a downer.
    This makes me wonder what other brainstorms these guys are working on.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I think new comers like the EEEPC has played a much bigger role in killing the Foloe than the iPhone.
    You've missed the point - it's not that the iPhone (or EEEPC) was a direct threat to the Foleo. It's the fact that with focus, Apple has released a phone that will already dwarf all Treo models in sales. The point is, just as Engadget so astutely spelled out for Ed and Co., Palm needs to focus their resources on getting back in the driver's seat for advanced phones. The Foleo did absolutely nothing to do that. It was a gamble to create a new product category that he wisely killed off for now until he can right the ship.
    Kudos to Palm for ditching the not-so-cooleo Foleo--now roll up your sleeves. The original Palmpilot makes iPhone look like a close relative of that first palm; it is interesting how everyone is marveling over a screen without a hard keypad when Palm got it right in the first place. Please reclaim the mountain (hopefully before iPhone adds "cut and paste" as a feature).
    If anything the Foleo (Treopad) should've been thought of an accessory for the Treo..and not a specific product category. Why buy a treo? Well you got the option for a smartpad companion. Maybe whet the appetite a bit by making it a treo only thing and eeeease on into the market but basically a product that supports core line sells.

But really, i'm just rambling now. No more Foleo, i promise Apple brought in things people want and palm would be smart to recognize it and they could easily do it better given the lack of features on the iphone and its lack of 3rd party apps.
    I suspect Jon Rubinstein played a big part in this decision. I hope Ben Combee shares some details on how the decision was made.

If I were getting briefed on this, hearing that the Foleo was a completely different platform from the new Treo would have been a major wtf moment. Also, the lack of a PIM and an independent email app...
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast