Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Myself, and I'm guessing most other people, thought the Foleo was based on the same platform as POS II, which meant it's development would help rather than hinder future Treo's. Now that we discover it wasn't it makes you wonder why they didn't do something about it earlier.

@Malatesta, They did give out quite a few Foleo's to developers at the Linux conference so I wouldn't be surprised to see a few appear on eBay
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    I want one of them Foleos that went to developers
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    My reaction in three words or less:

"Oh thank God!"

A few more words:

This is the first actual sign of cerebral activity that's been detected inside Palm's executive group in more time than I care to think about. Let's hope it's not the last.
    This is EXACTLY what they needed to do! Focus on their flagship...the Treo smartphone and their next OS. Make it truly compatible with windows AND mac out of the gate. Make it truly multi-tasking. Improve the hardware.

This is the next step to take Palm into the future!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandzel View Post
    I think this was exactly the right choice. As recent web activity has made clear, there is a huge constituency of us who love Palm and will fight to the death for them, but feel like suddenly we looked up from the front lines and realized we were fighting alone. Palm's stubborn refusal to acknowledge and fix problems with it's flagship Palm OS models, especially the 700p, couples with it's mystifying distraction with the Foleo as *the next big thing* had many of us at the point of despair. Finally, finally, finally, it feels like they get it. Like they know they can't take us for granted. That they know they MUST deliver a superior core product - an amazing, fun, powerful, open ended smart phone that leads the curve. I now have faith they will, and I'm personally ready to battle any iphones I see until Q1 2008 when my new Linux treo will blow them all away. Go PALM!!!!!!!!!
    I will jump on that Bandwagon. Killing the Foleo is a good start.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Plus 50% of Treos are now WM--so no reason to throw that market away.

I'm sure they would like change that % to more favor POSII while keeping the actual numbers of WM Treos. That's increasing market share and revenue.
    Re WM, the plan is just to resell devices developed by others, much like HP is doing with the OKWAP device. Looking at the specs of the HP device I cant say that would be a mistake.

Surur
    [QUOTE=septimus;1340833]...
    What does worry me is that they were pursuing two different platforms in the first place. i'd assumed that the Linux PalmOS was going to be related/based/SOMETHING to the FoleoOS.[/QUOTE]

yup.

I'm on the verge of getting another phone. I don't want to leave the POS -- but I have wanted WIFI since around 1814.

This fish seems to be rotting from the head.

The whole splitting off from, owning not owning, renaming, bidding on, being out bid on, ignoring palmsource's linux, ignoring Access's linux, buying the name and licenscing garnet, then deveoping its own linux, never being able to shoehorn WIFI into garnet, and finally this Fooleo late term abortion ---

woe is palm -- woe too are the developers who've wasted a year or so chasing this pig...
    Last edited by BARYE; 09/04/2007 at 05:54 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Re WM, the plan is just to resell devices developed by others, much like HP is doing with the OKWAP device. Looking at the specs of the HP device I cant say that would be a mistake.

Surur
    It's actually more than what HP is doing, imo.

Re: WM from Colligan 6/28/07
    These products will be designed and specified by our internal Windows Mobile group. But, more execution of the products will be done in conjunction with our ODM partners using their Windows Mobile expertise and radio designed platforms.
    Plus he mentioned this about WM and POSII
    I reorganized our team around two distinctive product lines.
    That sounds more than just a re-brand, no? Sounds like they'll still optimize the OS, do their "secret sauce" thing and leave the hardware/radio aspects to ODMs, which is fine.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Man, i wanted to see the foleo. may have bought one.
    I am really happy to read this. I was moderately interested in the Folio but I think that this is the right move. It makes me happy to read that Palm is going to focus on new smartphones.
    First August release date falls through. Then there is talk of compatibility issues. Now the ax the project all together. Makes me think all those reports were true.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Killing the Foleo is a good move, but sheesh, they wait until they're about to ship the darn thing?! This should have been done a long time ago. I hope they can the marketing group that thought up this boondoggle as well. They look like a bunch of clowns, hyping the "product of the future" and then saying, "never mind." The board needs to clean house, starting with Colgan. How can you have confidence in this dope?
    Good news. Now come out with some kickass Treos, Palm.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    parden my ignorance but will a palm linux work on windows vista?
    morris stalk
    It's actually more than what HP is doing, imo.

Re: WM from Colligan 6/28/07

Plus he mentioned this about WM and POSII
    That sounds more than just a re-brand, no? Sounds like they'll still optimize the OS, do their "secret sauce" thing and leave the hardware/radio aspects to ODMs, which is fine.
    Thats just sugar-coating. The essence is that they will spend a lot less R&D money getting WM devices out the door than PalmOS devices.

Surur
    Yup, I agree. I was under the impression it wasn't taking away resources but I was wrong on that one. It makes sense though: we now learned that the Foleo OS and new Linux for their phones are completely different.

As far as WM goes: I always understood Palm's plan like this (from their own slides):

• WM is for business/corporate/professional/international
    • POSII is for power users, mass-audience, etc.

(source)

No doubt once POSII comes out, that will be their #1 concern (as it should be) but it will be interesting to see what happens to WM--hopefully it won't slide.
    The way I see it is that WM has always been a "stay alive" move by Palm.
    maybe they learned that it really wasn't going to be a big seller given its specs/price point. maybe they figured they couldn't compete in the micro-laptop market. maybe they decided not to chase it any further. maybe they should have done a bit more market research. while it might have saved them further development costs i'm sure this has been a costly experience and they really don't have chips to burn at this point.

i was never in the buyer camp to begin with so i'm not surprised in the least. i hope they get it together with their phones but i've been saying that for some while now (so have many others).
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by morrie View Post
    parden my ignorance but will a palm linux work on windows vista?
    That is what we are hoping for...native and flawless intergration between our Palm smartphone and Windows/Mac/Linux. They need to perfect this before venturing into other products.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Thats just sugar-coating. The essence is that they will spend a lot less R&D money getting WM devices out the door than PalmOS devices.

Surur
    I hope so. Obviously I love their WM treos but Palm should not have to waste resources on making WM faster, more user friendly and have to integrate phone functions better--that's what MS should be doing and hopefully are with Photon (WM6 was hardly worth the wait).

As a business move, Palm needs to put it all behind POSII, so if WM takes a backseat, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by TooMuch View Post
    The way I see it is that WM has always been a "stay alive" move by Palm.
    It certainly was, but when you sell as many WM devices as POS ones within in 18 months--it starts to become more than just a lifeline. Maybe they'll shed WM in the future, but as long as they make money from it...no need right now.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Wow. Ask and you shall receive eh? I pretty much griped about this in the past few days about Foleo and got slammed a bit by others. But i relented a bit i think.

I was still curious about the Foleo and probably would've tried to see one in person to play around with.

But oh well. At least Palm is doing what i want them to do now. Concentrate on the Treo line. Just hearing news that they are going with a different platform is encouraging (well..we kinda knew that..but with palm you can never be certain).
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast