Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems that quite a few folks (including myself until recently) are having a hard time deciding if they should get Foleo's. The pro's and con's can be rather tough to resolve.

I thought it might be worthwhile to have a thread devoted to listing the potential alternatives to the Foleo - and their pro's and con's.
    I'm not sure if we should collect the answers on the first page (so that new readers don't have to read through pages and pages) or what, but maybe this will get the ball rolling.

It probably makes sense to list some of the Foleo's pro's and con's, too, for the sake of comparison. We may not all agree on these lists, but that's okay because anyone can post corrections/additions along the way.

Foleo-
    Pro: instant on, 5hr battery life, 10-in screen, focused functionality, 2.5 lbs., non-Windows OS, $500-600, wi-fi, Bluetooth, expandable storage
    Con: limited function (browser, applications, etc), start-up bug potential, low initial storage, no optical drive non-Windows OS, needs more 3rd-party software (?)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Asus EEE pc-
    Pro: instant on, long battery life (?), lightweight, not Windows, $250 (?)
    Con: build quality (?), 7-inch screen, not Windows, no optical drive

Sony TX/TZ series laptops-
    Pro: quick resume from sleep, 4-11hrs rated battery life, 2.8 lbs, full-featured pc, $1000-1500 refurbished, 11-inch screen, 80-100GB hard drive, optical drive/dl-burner, Windows Vista, wi-fi, Bluetooth
    Con: $1999~3000 new, not TRUE instant-on, Windows Vista

Feel free to list other Foleo alternatives and their pro's/con's. It might help to say whether you own or have used a given device, too.

I own a Sony TX.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I am wondering why people are looking for Foleo alternatives, when I personally never felt a need for such a device. Did Palm create this need by creating the Foleo? For me they did not. This I think is the main reason why people feel this device wont succeed in the first place.

Surur

PS: My spell checker suggest Foley for Foleo
    I however am looking for a Treo alternative...which is what Palm should be focusing on. Not this foleo nonsense.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I however am looking for a Treo alternative...which is what Palm should be focusing on. Not this foleo nonsense.
    Amen. The Smartphone market is huge, and even Palm admit the Foleo will be a small volume product. Foleo can only be judged a success if it sells more units than Palm loses out in Smartphone sales.

Which it won't, BTW.

I still vainly cling to the hope that Foleo is a smokescreen for the next-gen Treo though!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I thought it might be worthwhile to have a thread devoted to listing the potential alternatives to the Foleo
    Getting back to the original point, the Vye range look quite interesting too. But UKL425 (which probably means 400-500 of your Yankee Greenbacks) for a sub-kilogram, 80GB XP sub-notebook is pretty cool.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I am wondering why people are looking for Foleo alternatives, when I personally never felt a need for such a device. Did Palm create this need by creating the Foleo? For me they did not. This I think is the main reason why people feel this device wont succeed in the first place.

Surur

PS: My spell checker suggest Foley for Foleo
    Surur, I don't think palm created the need for this but questioned/ challenged what mobile users are currently doing.
    In a lot of way the Foleo is better then carring around a heavy laptop or anything above 4lbs.
    No it doesn't have the "power" but I think for the very large majority the foleo will make going "mobile" quicker and easier.
    And with latest rumor/news the new Palm OS will offer full sync between the palm Smartphone and the Foleo including app sharing I would 100% carry the Foleo over the laptop. (the price and such is a completely different story)
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Nokia n800:
    pro, about 30% cheaper; much lighter and smaller; have working flash, youtube and skype; nimble cellphone battery

con, no keyboard, smaller screen; no software to sync date and documents.

That's about all I can think off right now.
    HTC Advantage:
    Pro: blow away the Foleo in every category.

Con: a bit on the expensive side.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Nokia n800:
    pro, about 30% cheaper; much lighter and smaller; have working flash, youtube and skype; nimble cellphone battery

con, no keyboard, smaller screen; no software to sync date and documents.

That's about all I can think off right now.
    I own the N800, and will probably sell it when the foleo comes out. The N800's screen is good but small. I really need the citrix client for machine to be of much value. I have talked with palm, and I hope they will be able to have a citrix client functional on the foleo.
  10. vrf
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    HTC Advantage:
    Pro: blow away the Foleo in every category.
    THere are a lot of people interested in the Foleo who wouldn't even consider that brick of a phone.
    A couple of alternatives to the foleo if you want to spend more money are,

Avertec 1579, Full laptop with optical drive, weighs like 3 pounds, has low voltage proccessor for good battery life. Cost 1299

Thinkpad X61, I know thats one is like 3.5, I think, On sale this week for like low $1000's lacks an optical drive, but still a full laptop

Recently, I got a good deal on a toshiba satellite u205. Full laptop with 6 cell battery for long battery. I weighs with the 6 cell battery only 4 ibs. I got a good deal on it from office depot for 800. I bought the floor model so the knocked an extra 70 off it bring it down to about 730.

I like the foleo, but when I considered my own personal computing needs, I decided on a full laptop. Coming from my 6.6ib laptop I feel like I am carrying a feather.

On the other side of buying a full computer, I have to wonder how the foleo will stand up against devices like this that are only marginally larger than the foleo, yet more functional.

Instant on can only take you so far. And I know a mac sup notebook is on the horizon too.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Foleo alternatives:

Fujitsu P1610
    Pros - 8.9 inch screen, real Windows, tablet form factor, build quality, security
    Cons - Starts at $1600 and options are ridiculously expensive

IBM X61 and X61s
    Pros - 12.1 inch screen, less than 3 pound weight, real Windows (stick with XP), good battery life, priced as low as $1050 as of August 30, 2007, security
    Cons - ThinkPad quality has nosedived since Lenovo bought the line from IBM, no optical drive.

Asus Eee PC
    Pros - $250, 2 pound weight, Windows-capable
    Cons - 7 inch screen, ships with Linux, no optical drive

Sony VAIO U series
    Pros - Build quality, tiny 4.5 inch size
    Cons - High price, tiny 4.5 inch screen, poor keyboard

Sony TX and TZ
    Pros - Status symbol, 11.1 inch screen, sub-3 pound weight
    Cons - Starts at $2100

Sony TH55/Palm Tungsten 3/Tapwave Zodiac 2 PDA + a tiny Bluetooth dumbphone
    Pros - Small size + weight
    Cons - Limited functionality

Treo XXX
    Pros - Convergence, small size + weight
    Cons - Instability, limited functionality

Pen + paper
    Pros - Cheap
    Cons - None
    From Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1177719019478

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1180743304645

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1180743304505
    Those are so popular, every available color is sold out!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1180743545509

Pros for all of those are that they don't cost tons(some are double the price of the Foleo but look what you get) and are way more functional, yet still light. You will be able to sync any smartphone with most of these(except maybe the Apple) out of the box.

Cons: as compared to the Foleo, NONE as far as I can see! Except maybe price, but I'd put out another $400 to get something I can actually use all the time, as compared to paying $500-$600 for a part time usage device!

Last edited by The Phone Diva; 08/30/2007 at 04:14 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Here's another, pros and cons same as my other post:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1180743304995
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    From Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1177719019478

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1180743304645

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1180743304505
    Those are so popular, every available color is sold out!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1180743545509

Pros for all of those are that they don't cost tons(some are double the price of the Foleo but look what you get) and are way more functional, yet still light. You will be able to sync any smartphone with most of these(except maybe the Apple) out of the box.

Cons: as compared to the Foleo, NONE as far as I can see! Except maybe price, but I'd put out another $400 to get something I can actually use all the time, as compared to paying $500-$600 for a part time usage device!

I think the top 2 main attractions of the Foleo are its size/weight, followed by "instant on".

The laptops you list are twice the weight of the 2.5 pound Foleo - a totally different class of device.
    4-5 pounds, big deal! Do you want a feather with barely any function? Or something light, but still very useful?

The weight is probably due to having an actual drive with lots of storage! Looks like real DVD drives too!

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by vrf View Post
    THere are a lot of people interested in the Foleo who wouldn't even consider that brick of a phone.
    Thanks for the link. I dropped by.
  18.    #18  
    I think The Phone Diva mentioned that the devices she listed can sync right out of the box. That surprised me, but then I remembered that this Sony TX has some type of sync abilities. I've just been too chicken to explore them, up to now.

I guess that has the potential to go into the "pro" column.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    4-5 pounds, big deal! Do you want a feather with barely any function? Or something light, but still very useful?

The weight is probably due to having an actual drive with lots of storage! Looks like real DVD drives too!
    Define barely any function and don't forget the battery life.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Ok, since we're from the same town, .

I need something more than just a Treo companion. If I carry a subnotebook, I will need to be able to justify leaving the bigger guy at home.

1. Out of the box, the other devices(except the Apple) will sync WM smartphones, due to having that built in sync feature on Vista. Of course for the BB and iPhone, I'd have to install software but I will be able to do that on those. I don't even think the Foleo allows software downloaded off the internet, since Linux is almsot never supported at this point. There's also no optical drive, right? So CD install is also useles. I could even sync Sony Ericsson, Nokias and Motos, provided Vista recognizes them as plugged into the USB.

Only Treo owners will be able to use the Foleo out of the box, unless they've changed something. I did hear all WM phones will be supported but without Outlook installed, I'm not too sure about syncing contacts, tasks and stuff like that.

2. Opera browser only? Opera is good, but option to use Firefox should be included. There's also a question about tabbed browsing.

3. Is it true Foleo will have an older version of Flash? I get prompted to download new Flash versions on many sites, when one comes out. No Linux option, unless I'm missing something.

4. Lack of space means limited storage. External memory cards aren't needed on those other devices. Perhaps a lack of RAM too?

5. In my case, I need multi-media functions. A little lacking on the Foleo.

6. I can't edit websites and upload to the server on the Foleo, can I? Can't edit photos or music? Unlike others, this is common for me to do, but might be unnecessary for others. So this function might be considered as "user only" and not mainstream. But sometimes I need to change a website on the fly and there's no option on the Foleo.

Of course I'm sure the devices I mentioned will have more power and have less battery life, but honestly I really am not sure I want to sacrifice function for battery life.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast