Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    my x-mas present to myself is almost here

release date info http://eeepc.asus.com/en/product.htm

it is in the hands of a few reviewers...

http://www.eeeuser.com/

oh yeah, the ram isn't soldered to the motherboard, so its user upgradeable

Last edited by R1_Rydah; 10/26/2007 at 10:17 AM.
    HTC Touch Pro
    I have been away for a while, and while I'd heard that the Foleo was cancelled, wasn't till yesterday that I started looking at what it would take to do what it would have for me. If I want a small package that boots in seconds, handles web pages, word/excel/visio, and connects through my Treo on my current $15 flat rate data plan, am I looking at a EEEPC with bluetooth adapter and a copy of PDANet? Or is there other options to do that job? I looked through this and other threads, but don't see another good idea yet except the HDD replacement with CF adapter mentioned a few posts back.

Thanks in advance,
    Aaron...
    I use my sync cord to use PdaNet. Bluetooth should work, but I didn't try it.

I think you need bluetooth if you do not install Windows. PdaNet doesn't work with the default OS. You need USB Modem.
    If you use a bluetooth modem are you still using the included data access on the Treo? Or are you then using the Treo to dial up an ISP to access data that way?

I forgot about having to add XP to that package, but I see the EEE is either windows compatible or can buy on with it installed later this year?

Aaron...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivory View Post
    I have been away for a while, and while I'd heard that the Foleo was cancelled, wasn't till yesterday that I started looking at what it would take to do what it would have for me. If I want a small package that boots in seconds, handles web pages, word/excel/visio, and connects through my Treo on my current $15 flat rate data plan, am I looking at a EEEPC with bluetooth adapter and a copy of PDANet? Or is there other options to do that job? I looked through this and other threads, but don't see another good idea yet except the HDD replacement with CF adapter mentioned a few posts back.

Thanks in advance,
    Aaron...
    The EEEPC seems like the best solution today. Rather the only solution unless you want to spend a bundles on an ultra-portable laptop.
    The included linux OS and apps on the EEEPC are apparently very good, boots quickly and makes it seem like a great product. The problem is I have no idea how you get it to connect to the internet through a phone/Treo.

The best place for EEE PC info is http://www.eeeuser.com/
    Check the announcements and forums there.

I'm personally waiting for the 1G(RAM),8G(Flash Disk) model that should be out any day now because I intend to try Windows XP on it. XP of course makes it so it no longer boots in seconds, but it does mean you can use bluetooth DUN, BT PAN (what I intend to use with Windows mobile) or PDA net.
    But I may also consider leaving the built in OS/Apps instead if I can find a good solution to work on Linux.

The 512/2G model is out now for $400, the 1G/8G soon for $500.

I was lucky enough to be able to beta test the late Foleo and I really miss it. It didn't quite meet what I wanted, but I miss what it did offer.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I'm personally waiting for the 1G(RAM),8G(Flash Disk) model that should be out any day now because I intend to try Windows XP on it. XP of course makes it so it no longer boots in seconds, but it does mean you can use bluetooth DUN, BT PAN (what I intend to use with Windows mobile) or PDA net.
    You certainly don't need 8 gb to install XP. My Windows XP installation took up ~500MB of the 4 GB SSD.

As to boot time, many of us find XP to boot up faster than the stock Xandros Linux that comes with the Eee PC. 25 seconds for mine. Wildcatter mentioned 10 second XP boot times in this post.

If you're not interested in tinkering with Linux on the Eee PC, you shouldn't hesitate to install XP - it's generally faster, has a smaller footprint, and runs the software many are familiar with compared to the shipped OS. For example, mine currently connects through my EVDO Q9m via Bluetooth DUN (this small USB dongle) any time I'm not in range of an available wi-fi hot spot. It really is a functional companion to my phone.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345