Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think the real problem is an over strict professor.

But it should only take 2 minutes at the absolute most to reboot(and that would be an old machine). Were the extra minutes due to hooking up to the printer? Or do they even still use paper in classes anymore, LOL!(yeah I'm old, don't laugh).
    2 seconds still beats 2 minutes any day.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    That only applies to old machines though. I have a newer one that reboots quite rapidly(although not 2 seconds). Then I have an older slow one that is a bit painful to reboot. The newer ones are probably better on rebooting. Plus I think software initializing is part of slow reboots.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I run a p4 system from 2003 (top of the line then I build it myself) w/ 1.5GB of ram now running vista; in the time it take me to open IE from screensaver I can cut on the Foleo and open the browser.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Foleo's dead for now.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Seeing how the Foleo has been canceled, this list was quite prescient in the end....

Surur
  6.    #66  

But it should only take 2 minutes at the absolute most to reboot(and that would be an old machine). Were the extra minutes due to hooking up to the printer? Or do they even still use paper in classes anymore, LOL!(yeah I'm old, don't laugh).
    I guess I'm also counting the time trying to figure out how to wake the thing up, finding an alternative to rebooting (and possibly losing information), and the actual reboot.

Heh. They still use paper, although I avoid it when possible.

Btw, I'm no whipper-snapper, myself. Just went back to school.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I'm personally going to go for the EEEPC if in fact the memory and storage can be upgraded.
    Another fine solution is any 12.1" laptop under 4lbs. However they tend to be very expensive.

I did find one that is $1K, and I saw it in the store (Micro Center) and I really like it. It's nice and small:
    http://microcenter.com/single_produc...uct_id=0259769 It's 4.5 Lbs.

This is about the cheapest solution other than an EEEPC (which the price gets pretty high if you consider upgrading the memory/storage)
    I'll have to wait and see if the EEEPC will be upgradeable. And it seems like the release date keeps slipping further away.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Seeing how the Foleo has been canceled, this list was quite prescient in the end....

Surur
    Yeah, now we have no choice but to look for one!

Would've been nice if Palm had figured this out. A small business oriented laptop would have been great! They should have made it more functional, but if they'd planned it out right, it'd have been available.

Yeah, now we have no choice but to look for one!

Would've been nice if Palm had figured this out. A small business oriented laptop would have been great! They should have made it more functional, but if they'd planned it out right, it'd have been available.
    Welp, I'm going back to my old alternative:

(1) Keeping the 12" Asus
    (2) Taking out the HDD
    (3) Put in this CF HDD adapter
    (4) Put in an A-DATA 32gb CF card for HDD

In theory the laptop will lighter, faster, less heat and longer battery life.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  10.    #70  
    Kinda sorry to find out it's been cancelled, but I'm mighty happy that I didn't pass on the alternative(s) I'd been considering.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Welp, I'm going back to my old alternative:

(1) Keeping the 12" Asus
    (2) Taking out the HDD
    (3) Put in this CF HDD adapter
    (4) Put in an A-DATA 32gb CF card for HDD

In theory the laptop will lighter, faster, less heat and longer battery life.
    Nice. Let us know how that works out.
    Just saw a 12"" HP for $800 at Best Buy. Looks like that's one Foleo alternative if you want to stay under $1000. It may even have been one I posted in my other list, but if I find the link on BB, I'll post it.

P.S. All I could find was this one, which I think is a repost, but maybe the one in the store was an open box or something.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1180743304995
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 09/04/2007 at 11:55 PM.

13.    #73  
    I think there were a number of problems with the Foleo project. Function was certainly one of them, but so was marketing, I think. I have to wonder if even Palm knew what the thing was for.

I mean, they kept saying it wasn't a laptop replacement, but almost everyone who talked about it - including Palm reps - said that the value of the device lay in the fact that you could grab it instead of your laptop, work on it instead of your laptop, use its simplified operating system/u.i. instead of that of a laptop, enjoy its long battery-life instead of that of a laptop, etc...

Dieter Bohn/septimus said it best on the WMExperts site:

"That, in the end, is where the Foleo failed. Palm said again and again that the Foleo wasn't meant to replace your laptop. Here's the rub: it should have been able to replace your laptop. On its own, perhaps not, but in conjunction with an uber-smartphone, yes. That's why I say that the Foleo was three years too early - smartphones just don't deserve to have "mobile companions" yet."
    Anyone else liking the idea of the N810 as a Foleo alternative? It's a thumbboard type keyboard, but with GPS built in, its very intriguing to me.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Anyone else liking the idea of the N810 as a Foleo alternative? It's a thumbboard type keyboard, but with GPS built in, its very intriguing to me.
    I'm not familiar with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I think that the N810 serves a certain portion of the Foleo market - perhaps those who were interested in an instant-on web browser with extended battery life but weren't looking for the keyboard features or office suite.

I still contend that there is a market for the business user who needs fast, efficient access to e-mail and MS-office style applications in a device with a full screen and keyboard.
    The N810 is hardly a Foleo replacement. The two most obvious physical features of the Foleo were Large screen and "full-sized" keyboard, neither of which exist on the N810. Still, I feel the N810 is a more useful device than the Foleo - at least I feel that way about my N800.
    The N810 is what Foleo SHOULD have been. Here's the report from Boy Genius Report on the N810.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    The N810 is what Foleo SHOULD have been. Here's the report from Boy Genius Report on the N810.
    Nah it's what the LifeDrive 2 should have been. The problem with the Foleo wasn't so much the Foleo, it was the fact that Palm clearly lost focus on their target Palm OS core customer base, by being distracted by Windows Mobile and Foleos.

If Palm was executing well on the PalmOS side, and had ultrahot Treos on the market, the Foleo would not have been looked at so negatively.

(They also wouldn't have been forced to release to try and announce the Foleo prematurely, nor would they have had to liquidate their company to prevent a hostile takeover).
    HP200LX -> Palm Pilot -> Palm III -> Sony PEG-300 -> Sony PEG-N710C -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> (iPhone or Treo 800L or something unexpected)??
  20.    #80  

Btw, you called it, Diva. I eventually dropped that professor's class.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast