Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well I bought the iPhone as an experiment, so I won't be arguing with TKOS over that, LOL! I just think you should spend $500 with your eyes wide open, meaning at least read features and specs fully before "experimenting". I also think you probably SHOULD wait and see what the early adapters say before you buy, if you're on the fence or viewing this from afar wondering "should I or shouldn't I?". Feedback can tell you a lot. And yes, you do actually have to use some things to see if they work for you or not.

So actually Sting has some points IMO, LOL!

Although I can tell from my current usage that the Foleo may not be for me since I can't do much of what I need to on it.
    I was particularly struck by and largely responding to this:

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting
    Heck, a few years ago I paid $5000+ for a new type of Trimble GPS just to see if it would increase our production and DO what the manufacturer said it would do.
    As for the rest:

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting
    The only way to really know how it would work for us was to buy one and use it.
    I wouldn't use this as an approach to invalidate others' conversations about the pro's and con's of a device, telling them that, before they can have opinions about or assessments of the device, they should buy it.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I don't know anyone who drops $5000 on an experiment either! I was thinking more of his $500 comment.

As for the rest, well you certainly can't stop people from speculating, especially since so much info has been posted. That's partly why this is a discussion forum anyway! People speculate all the time on here!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #43  
    I don't know anyone who drops $5000 on an experiment either! I was thinking more of his $500 comment.

As for the rest, well you certainly can't stop people from speculating, especially since so much info has been posted. That's partly why this is a discussion forum anyway! People speculate all the time on here!!
    I'm even speculating on how much speculating we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    That's an interesting approach, but it's one that I find as odd as you find this thread. Let's just leave it at that.
    Well it is something that businesses do ALL OF THE TIME. With respect to my personal finances, I wouldn't drop $500 just to try something out. Well I might if I knew I could take it back. However, I wouldn't think twice about doing somethign like this for my business if the product looked promising.

I own an engineering company and we are always looking for new equipment and software to make us more productive. It's somethign that keeps us competative and effective in the market. I suspect that folks like Mechanics or Builders need to do the same thing to stay current (e.g., buying some type of new tool and using it for awhile to see if it makes the job easier).

TKOS
    I was particularly struck by and largely responding to this (re The KingofSting buying a $5000 GPS unit):
    Actually, I bought 4 of them, or $20,000 worth of gear, for a project in Southeast Alaska. Yes, it was basically an experiement as we'd never used the gear before and it was a new technology. Trimble is a very reputable company, so I knew we weren't just going to get garbage from them. However, I didn't know if the gear would slow down or speed up my crews. Fortunately, it paid off and sped them up. We made a nice profit on the job that paid for the new equipment many times over. That's the way business works. Sometimes you have to roll the dice and take a gamble if you want to make money.

TKOS
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    Actually, I bought 4 of them, or $20,000 worth of gear, for a project in Southeast Alaska. Yes, it was basically an experiement as we'd never used the gear before and it was a new technology. Trimble is a very reputable company, so I knew we weren't just going to get garbage from them. However, I didn't know if the gear would slow down or speed up my crews. Fortunately, it paid off and sped them up. We made a nice profit on the job that paid for the new equipment many times over. That's the way business works. Sometimes you have to roll the dice and take a gamble if you want to make money.

TKOS
    Wonderful. None of which speaks to the point that those of us in this thread oughtn't share the pro's and con's of the Foleo, as we see them, simply because we've not purchased one.
    Wonderful. None of which speaks to the point that those of us in this thread oughtn't share the pro's and con's of the Foleo, as we see them, simply because we've not purchased one.
    Actually, the point of this thread started out asking what alternatives are out there for the Foleo. I thought this was silly given that we don't really know what the foleo has to offer yet, so how could we know what to replace it with. We ended up on this particular rabbit trail because someone said "Well does that mean we should buy a Foleo first to see if it does what we need?" As I said then, and I believe now, Yes people are going to have to take a gamble and buy one to see what it can do. If you dont' want to do that, cool. People like me are going to do it for you and will report back here what we think.

However, let's speculate away. That's most of the fun.

TKOS
    My thoughts in red.
    Also accounting software may not work on the Foleo, which I also need.
    It very likely won't and I don't suspect people are going to rush to make it happen. Specialized software like this really isn't what the Foleo is all about. One of the primary design objectives (as I've gleened from reading the developers guide) is to keep the system as simple as possible.

Just because the Foleo won't run specialized apps, like accounting software, doesn't mean you can't use this software in some fashion. Logmein.com gives one a very nice way to get at software like this. In fact, in many cases it might be better than running the app on a mobile device. Using the accounting software example, it would be cleaner to remote into an office LAN to access the accounting software as the accounting system data is likely centralized in one fashion or another and needed by others. Creating a snapshot and taking it with you on a mobile devide usually doesn't work well for this type of thing.

TKOS
    Last edited by TheKingOfSting; 09/02/2007 at 01:27 PM.
  9.    #49  
    Actually, the point of this thread started out asking what alternatives are out there for the Foleo. I thought this was silly given that we don't really know what the foleo has to offer yet, so how could we know what to replace it with. We ended up on this particular rabbit trail because someone said "Well does that mean we should buy a Foleo first to see if it does what we need?" As I said then, and I believe now, Yes people are going to have to take a gamble and buy one to see what it can do. If you dont' want to do that, cool. People like me are going to do it for you and will report back here what we think.

However, let's speculate away. That's most of the fun.

TKOS
    It's not pure speculation, though. We've plenty of information about what Foleo's can and cannot do - especially out-of-the-box.

I agree that we'll know more once it's released, but there's nothing silly about considering the pro's and con's available options - whether from an individual or business stand-point.

What's silly are those folks who toss "Fooleo" around as if anyone even considering a Foleo is an *****, incapable of assessing and addressing his or her own personal or business needs. I don't agree with those who think the Foleo is a "turd" and I don't agree with those who talk about it like it's the second coming, but I'm happy to participate in a discussion based in reason, filled with facts, and laced with civilized opinions.

Like I say, I don't think this device will meet my main needs for the next year and a half to two years, but I've considered getting one for my girlfriend, mother, and/or grandmother because it just might meet theirs.

So, I may be an early adopter, too, if only as a gifter. I'd love to give my family members something that'd be functional and focused enough for them to actually use - and that might save me several hours of troubleshooting.

I ain't convinced yet, but I'm willing to, as you put it, have fun speculating.
  10.    #50  
    How thin is the Foleo? (I can't help using the definite article like that.)

I've gotten tired of trying to track this information down. I didn't even see it on Palm's Foleo site.

I remain curious about the fact that Foleo's appear to be a good bit thinner than my Sony TX, despite the fact that the TX is only 0.3 lbs heavier.
    How thin is the Foleo? (I can't help using the definite article like that.)

I've gotten tired of trying to track this information down. I didn't even see it on Palm's Foleo site.
    This isn't a bad picture of how thick it is compared to a Treo 755P.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/palm-...nds-on/258112/

A quick google search yields the following in a few different articles: "It measures 10.6 x 6.7 inches and is less than an inch thick."

TKOS
  12.    #52  
    This isn't a bad picture of how thick it is compared to a Treo 755P.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/palm-...nds-on/258112/

A quick google search yields the following in a few different articles: "It measures 10.6 x 6.7 inches and is less than an inch thick."

TKOS
    Thanks for that. My Google searches must not have contained the right words.

The angle makes me wonder if the Foleo's thinner than the Treo. I'd guess that it is.

My TX is almost exactly as thick as my 755p - MAYBE a hair's breath thicker.
    For Logmein, you must leave your equipment on while unattended, right? I don't know if I really like that solution, if so.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    For Logmein, you must leave your equipment on while unattended, right? I don't know if I really like that solution, if so.
    True and that is something to consider. OTOH, many businesses and academia--we always leave the computers on, so this is not an odd thing. For home-users, I think it's a poor idea.

Does anyone know if Logmein does the wakeup-on-LAN thing? I know programs like Orb have the ability to do this: computer in standby and wakes when you make a connection. That could get around that above issue.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Yes, but you need proper autthentication credentials to access the machine. It is as secure as the rest of ur network.

TKOS
    To get back on the topic of this thread:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/03/p...7-inch-laptop/

Quote Originally Posted by Redfox1477 View Post
    Seriously, I'll be updating my website on my Foleo. All I need is vi (OK, vim would be better) plus ncftp, and I'll be away.
    You are in a serious minority... Creating/modifying anything beyond a very simple text based web page is horribly painful in vi. I know a few hardcore *nix people who refuse to use anything other than vi, but they tend to be a bit odd. Most people who do any real work on a website do so in some type of IDE. Unfortunately most of these tend to be tied very heavily to a specific OS GUI. I suspect it will be some time before we see a native website IDE.

Quote Originally Posted by Redfox1477 View Post
    In fact, the Foleo is capable of hosting a fully functional website - I used to run Apache and MySQL on the similarly-spec'd Sharp Zaurus, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they are ported to the Foleo.
    Technically, I'm sure these server apps could be compiled to run on the Foleo. However, it would bring the system to a crawl, or worse, to serve up web pages. There just isn't enough memory to really operate these server apps properly. I can't see any good reason why one would want to run Apache on Foleo.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Dog Doc View Post
    To get back on the topic of this thread:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/03/p...7-inch-laptop/

Interesting. I hadn't about this one. Thanks for the contribution.

What do you think are its pro's and con's?
  19.    #59  
    Here's an example where my not-quite-instant-on kinda fell short of the glory:

I had an assignment to turn in, this morning, that I couldn't access because the computer didn't want to return from hibernation mode. I had to reboot the machine, which took away from the precious few minutes I had left to turn it in. This particular professor doesn't want anything turned in one class starts, so those extra couple of minutes put me at a real disadvantage.

In the end, I worked it out, but instant-on might've kept me from having to go to semi-extreme measures.

For what it's worth, I started on the assignment early, but I guess it wasn't early enough. So, personal responsibility is a factor.
    I think the real problem is an over strict professor.

But it should only take 2 minutes at the absolute most to reboot(and that would be an old machine). Were the extra minutes due to hooking up to the printer? Or do they even still use paper in classes anymore, LOL!(yeah I'm old, don't laugh).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast