Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Ok, since we're from the same town, .
    I need something more than just a Treo companion. If I carry a subnotebook, I will need to be able to justify leaving the bigger guy at home.
    Don't we just live in the best city in the USA. LOL

1. That's what exchange is for wireless sync and you can download from the web. WM Phone support and I'm sure there new OS will be supported also

2. You are right its not Firefox but its full screen internet.

3. ?? Only thing I know is flash video will be a problem.

4. They aren't needed on those devices but you do have the option of SD cards (very mobile) and CF card which offered some advantages over HDD.

5. I think that depends on how much multi-media functions you need. I mean we know that pocket-tunes is in the works and they have logmein and file sharing locked up and pretty much internet anytime/anywhere. So only time will tell.

6. Maybe not but remote pc controls does wonders.

Of course I'm sure the devices I mentioned will have more power and have less battery life, but honestly I really am not sure I want to sacrifice function for battery life.
    And this is what will let the decision remain yours. The Foleo is 100% not for everyone. The size, weight, instant on and off, battery life and Palms 3rd party base will potential make the foleo a small hit If it was cheaper I could even see using this thing around the house.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I am wondering why people are looking for Foleo alternatives, when I personally never felt a need for such a device.
    I find this thread strange as well, given that none of us have ever even used a Foleo. How are we to know what to replace it with if we haven't even used it yet?

The suggested replacements are as equally as odd as the tread itself. How can one compare, from a replacement standpoint, a $2000+ device against $500 device? Of course the $2000+ device is going to have more to offer, you are paying 4 times the price.

TKOS
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    I find this thread strange as well, given that none of us have ever even used a Foleo. How are we to know what to replace it with if we haven't even used it yet?
    So, you're saying the logical way would be to buy the Foleo, once it's released, so that we can decide if we'd rather spend that money on something with more functionality?

That sounds pretty odd to me.

The suggested replacements are as equally as odd as the tread itself. How can one compare, from a replacement standpoint, a $2000+ device against $500 device? Of course the $2000+ device is going to have more to offer, you are paying 4 times the price.

TKOS
    Not all the "replacements" are that expensive and those that are can be found for much less, as has been mentioned a time or three.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    So, you're saying the logical way would be to buy the Foleo, once it's released, so that we can decide if we'd rather spend that money on something with more functionality?
    Well, if you aren't interested in buying one to try out, you can bet others will and you can ask them what they think. You can bet that six months from now, we'll have a much clearer picture of this device.

$500 really isn't that much money to spend for a device even as an experiement, especially in the business arena. Heck, a few years ago I paid $5000+ for a new type of Trimble GPS just to see if it would increase our production and DO what the manufacturer said it would do. The only way to really know how it would work for us was to buy one and use it.

TKOS
    Last edited by TheKingOfSting; 08/30/2007 at 10:59 PM.
    How do we know what to replace the Foleo with when we never used it? The info given here and videos have told us what it's for.

And when you have Best Buy selling full laptops for only $200-$300 more, I would be tempted to just go for those! Plus I can get a 3 yr. warranty.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    And when you have Best Buy selling full laptops for only $200-$300 more, I would be tempted to just go for those! Plus I can get a 3 yr. warranty.
    It is hard to simply compare the price. If a full laptops are selling at $200, why people buy pda. Because the usages are different. If people think laptop is laptop then the expensive laptops are doomed.

Like TKOS said, use it for a period before we judge.
    I had the opportunity to play extensively with a Foleo, I am in Sales, travel a lot, and use my Treo a lot.

I can say this, I will buy one for $900 as the advantage.

it is fast, easy, instant nad solid, looks cool typing is a pleasure, screen is great...

One of the things interesting for me is that the people complaint how much is a Foleo but then we talk about $2000 laptops...

I carry a standard heavy 15" laptop, standard issue, and a Treo. My IT Department is difficult to deal, I will be able to leave the laptop at the office most of the time and just use the Treo and the Foleo, in fact many times I just use the Treo, now I will be able to do many things really confortable without the Laptop, mine is a great light laptop, with an extra battery that last between 10-15 hours, I can fly via Miami from LA to Sao Paulo Brazil and have battery left, but I can only work in the plane is the person in front of me is not replining.

Also my world is in 3 apps, Excel, PowerPoint and Email... The Foleo that I have play with Excel on those... Do not look for a substitute, better get ready o enjoy...

As the BlackBerry change the way people did portable email, the Foleo will change the way people use Portables...
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    It is hard to simply compare the price. If a full laptops are selling at $200, why people buy pda. Because the usages are different. If people think laptop is laptop then the expensive laptops are doomed.

Like TKOS said, use it for a period before we judge.
    And, like Diva said, we already know much of what it can and cannot do.

The notion that we need to buy something before we can decide if it's worth buying, is absurd. The idea that we should wait until others have bought it and used it for six months is slightly less absurd, but still impractical considering how much we already know about the devices.

Some of you are acting like this is a mindless Foleo-bashing thread when it's actually talking about the pro's AND CON'S of so-called Foleo alternatives.
  9.    #29  
    Well, if you aren't interested in buying one to try out, you can bet others will and you can ask them what they think. You can bet that six months from now, we'll have a much clearer picture of this device.

$500 really isn't that much money to spend for a device even as an experiement, especially in the business arena. Heck, a few years ago I paid $5000+ for a new type of Trimble GPS just to see if it would increase our production and DO what the manufacturer said it would do. The only way to really know how it would work for us was to buy one and use it.

TKOS
    That's an interesting approach, but it's one that I find as odd as you find this thread. Let's just leave it at that.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by apinaud View Post
    I had the opportunity to play extensively with a Foleo, I am in Sales, travel a lot, and use my Treo a lot.

I can say this, I will buy one for $900 as the advantage.

it is fast, easy, instant nad solid, looks cool typing is a pleasure, screen is great...

One of the things interesting for me is that the people complaint how much is a Foleo but then we talk about $2000 laptops...

I carry a standard heavy 15" laptop, standard issue, and a Treo. My IT Department is difficult to deal, I will be able to leave the laptop at the office most of the time and just use the Treo and the Foleo, in fact many times I just use the Treo, now I will be able to do many things really confortable without the Laptop, mine is a great light laptop, with an extra battery that last between 10-15 hours, I can fly via Miami from LA to Sao Paulo Brazil and have battery left, but I can only work in the plane is the person in front of me is not replining.

Also my world is in 3 apps, Excel, PowerPoint and Email... The Foleo that I have play with Excel on those... Do not look for a substitute, better get ready o enjoy...

As the BlackBerry change the way people did portable email, the Foleo will change the way people use Portables...
    Eh?

You're going to pay $900 for it a the advantage? I thought that meant you were going to buy the HTC Advantage, but at the end you seem to be talking about getting a Foleo.

I think he means the features and benefits are worth $900 for him. Cant argue with that.

Surur
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I think he means the features and benefits are worth $900 for him. Cant argue with that.

Surur
    You can't argue with a poster who wants to spend $900 on a freakin' Foleo, but you CAN argue with those of us who list the pro's and con's of Foleo alternatives... on the Foleo forum?

WTF?
    You can't argue with a poster who wants to spend $900 on a freakin' Foleo, but you CAN argue with those of us who list the pro's and con's of Foleo alternatives... on the Foleo forum?

WTF?
    I wouldn't but I know people spend thousands on new alloy rims or kitchen extensions or new lawn or donate to charity etc. One cant account for personal preferences.

Surur
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I have to agree with apinaud. The Foleo is a solid device and has the potential to be much more.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    4-5 pounds, big deal! Do you want a feather...
    Frankly, yes! 5lbs of laptop is a big deal when you're 5'2" and female...

6. I can't edit websites and upload to the server on the Foleo, can I? Can't edit photos or music? Unlike others, this is common for me to do, but might be unnecessary for others. So this function might be considered as "user only" and not mainstream. But sometimes I need to change a website on the fly and there's no option on the Foleo.
    Try learning the Unix command line

Seriously, I'll be updating my website on my Foleo. All I need is vi (OK, vim would be better) plus ncftp, and I'll be away. In fact, the Foleo is capable of hosting a fully functional website - I used to run Apache and MySQL on the similarly-spec'd Sharp Zaurus, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they are ported to the Foleo.

Music editing? You're kidding, no? The Foleo isn't meant to be an all-singing, all-dancing machine, just something that does what most people need 90% of the time (and, incidentally, a bunch of really geeky stuff that Palm probably never imagined!). You want a laptop, buy a laptop - it's that simple.

If we're talking about Foleo alternatives, let's not forget Alphasmarts for the writing crowd

Neo
    Pros: $219, very robust, great keyboard, 700 hours' battery life (!)
    Cons: small mono screen, can only do word-processing, no SD slot

Dana
    Pros: $350-$429, very robust, great keyboard, 25 hours' battery life, Palm OS 4
    Cons: low-contrast 560x160 mono screen, Palm OS 4, WiFi not up to web-browsing or heavy email usage
    The Foleo isn't meant to be an all-singing, all-dancing machine, just something that does what most people need 90% of the time>>>

Then Palm better get with the program and revisit it. It doesn't take much to put such apps on it.

If i'm on the road, i want something to work on no doubt..but i also want something i can play on.

I think what's funny is foleo fans speculating on whether it'll play video and what not. C'mon, it's 2007 and we got mini devices that can display the full web, play video, music, etc. The foleo better damn sure do all this or it'll flop.

As it is, given the problems with the Treos, i'd think twice if i was a company and considered the Foleo. As it is, i think palm will go out of business with this nonsense.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    The problem is that the Foleo was conceived as a pocketable device with a screen that folded out to give a laptop-like desktop. But the technology wasn't ready, so it's morphed into a badly underpowered sub-notebook. With added instant on.

The original concept was original; what's being delivered isn't.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    It appears that many Foleo supporters in this forum have become extremely defensive about the device. Please remember that this is a DISCUSSION forum. So let's try to DISCUSS things without taking every comment as somehow being a personal insult. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfox1477 View Post
    Frankly, yes! 5lbs of laptop is a big deal when you're 5'2" and female... I have a similar build and carry around a desktop replacement laptop when need be! And those weigh MORE than 5lbs!

Try learning the Unix command line

Seriously, I'll be updating my website on my Foleo. All I need is vi (OK, vim would be better) plus ncftp, and I'll be away. In fact, the Foleo is capable of hosting a fully functional website - I used to run Apache and MySQL on the similarly-spec'd Sharp Zaurus, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they are ported to the Foleo. Dreamweaver won't work on the Foleo. FTP might, but I need to edit in Dreamweaver first, then upload to the server.

Music editing? You're kidding, no?NO I was NOT! I must be one of the few who actually uses laptops to their fullest. The Foleo isn't meant to be an all-singing, all-dancing machine, just something that does what most people need 90% of the time (and, incidentally, a bunch of really geeky stuff that Palm probably never imagined!). You want a laptop, buy a laptop - it's that simple.
    More like NEED a laptop, in my case!
    My thoughts in red.

Also accounting software may not work on the Foleo, which I also need.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    That's an interesting approach, but it's one that I find as odd as you find this thread. Let's just leave it at that.
    Well I bought the iPhone as an experiment, so I won't be arguing with TKOS over that, LOL! I just think you should spend $500 with your eyes wide open, meaning at least read features and specs fully before "experimenting". I also think you probably SHOULD wait and see what the early adapters say before you buy, if you're on the fence or viewing this from afar wondering "should I or shouldn't I?". Feedback can tell you a lot. And yes, you do actually have to use some things to see if they work for you or not.

So actually Sting has some points IMO, LOL!

Although I can tell from my current usage that the Foleo may not be for me since I can't do much of what I need to on it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast