Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    See the article here
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Interesting idea. Of course more details are needed (and confirmation). But even more so than with an iphone, physical keys are important.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  3. vrf
    I like the comment that said it looked like a high-school art project.
    and it probably cost at least $1500. 3xmore than the Foleo
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    ...but it would actually work. And I would guess a price closer to 1k. Other articles on the subject point to a keyboard similar to the Apple BT keyboard.
    Last edited by eodell; 08/28/2007 at 07:43 AM.
    If anybody could pull it off, it's Apple. Never mind that the lack of many features will actually be shown to be quiet desirable.
    If Apple makes an Intel version of the 12" powerbook and have it be less then 1 inch thick, winner winner chicken dinner (i think i need to stop watching sports center)
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    GreenHex, Apple usually makes full featured laptops. Unlike their phones and iPods.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I got the macbook pro, and i love it, the foleo is def. the way to go for the speed.

Only thing that worries me is that this does not look like a real rendition only some person on a computer. still very nice.
    This is more likely to be the real scoop on the Apple Ultraportable that is coming. It has been predicted for awhile and numerous sites are expecting it end of 2007 or early 2008.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...h_display.html

To my mind, this is the biggest threat to the Foleo's success. Or put another way, I may opt to buy this despite the fact that it will be a lot more expensive. The cool factor may be irresistable.
    apple should price it ard 300 bucks.
    If Apple does release one and prices it well(although $300 is very unlikely IMO. I'd say $900-$1100), people may just pay more for the Apple. Unless it ends up being $2000.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'm still holding onto my four-year-old 12" G4 Powerbook Pro because I've been waiting for Apple's long-awaited subnotebook. It was first rumored for this past January, and is now rumored for next January, but it's anyone's guess when it will actually come out.

You guys are smoking dope on the price, though. It's not in the same category as the Foleo. It will be priced as a premium product -- probably closer to $2500 than $1100, and even more when it's fully loaded.
    Visor DX > VisorPhone > T-Mobile Treo 270 > Sprint Treo 600 > Verizon Treo 700p > [Foleo?]
    I take offense to the "dope" statement.

They offer the MacBook starting at about $1100 and it's already a compact. I don't see why they can't do similar for the true subnotebook. If they undercut Sony's subs, that can make an impact!

For $2500, I'd just get a MacBook Pro!

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Agreed. In concept a subnotebook would have some sacrifices in hardware (limited RAM, smaller solid-state drive) to make the smaller form factor and therefore have a lower price. $1200, tops. (No dope being smoked here...)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I take offense to the "dope" statement.... For $2500, I'd just get a MacBook Pro!
    Quote Originally Posted by eodell View Post
    Agreed. In concept a subnotebook would have some sacrifices in hardware (limited RAM, smaller solid-state drive) to make the smaller form factor and therefore have a lower price. $1200, tops. (No dope being smoked here...)
    I didn't call you a dope, but I still think you're smoking some good stuff if you think Apple will sell its new subnotebook for $1100-$1200. It won't be aimed at people who'd rather have a larger Macbook Pro, and are only buying the subnotebook because it's cheaper. It will be aimed at people (like me) who prefer a smaller form factor, and who will pay a premium for it. The whole history of new Apple products is to price them high at first, and keep the prices high for a while. Think of the iPhone. Were you expecting a discount because it doesn't have a physical keyboard?
    Visor DX > VisorPhone > T-Mobile Treo 270 > Sprint Treo 600 > Verizon Treo 700p > [Foleo?]
    $2500 is more than Sony's, depending on where you look for one. The iPhone is unique, the subnotebook is not, unless you consider it's the Mac OS. If Mac users will pay a premium, fine. But PC users looking for a subnotebook will just then buy a Dell Vostro or a Sony. Asus and Acer have released subnotebooks too, for about $1800 I think. There's no incentive to buy a $2500 Apple subnotebook for PC users, when there are offers that are less but just as capable.

Price it at the same as a MacBook and more people will jump.

Yes, I'm sure that the Apple ultraportable is going to be outrageously thin and cooler than cool. It will get a premium for the (lack of) thickness, and a premium for the solid state drive (which costs much more than HD) and I think your $2500 prediction is low, I will place my guess at $2799. It ain't cheap being the coolest kid on the block.

Now where can I get me some of that stuff to smoke.

One nice thing about the Foleo is the mere fact of its price. You just don't have to worry as much about a $500 item as a $2500 item. If you're at Starbucks working and want to get another coffee, you can leave the Foleo on your table but you better take the Apple with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    $2500 is more than Sony's, depending on where you look for one. The iPhone is unique, the subnotebook is not, unless you consider it's the Mac OS. If Mac users will pay a premium, fine. But PC users looking for a subnotebook will just then buy a Dell Vostro or a Sony. Asus and Acer have released subnotebooks too, for about $1800 I think. There's no incentive to buy a $2500 Apple subnotebook for PC users, when there are offers that are less but just as capable.

Price it at the same as a MacBook and more people will jump.
    Oh, I don't know what the actual price will be. But I'm fairly confident it will be priced more along the lines of a MacBook Pro ($2000 - $2,800) than the low-end MacBooks ($1,100 - $1,500). It will be positioned as a high-end, professional-level machine for those who can afford to pay for slimness. And I'll bet it will have some innovative designs and/or features that will make everyone drool with desire, like the iPhone. Maybe they'll even be standing on line outside the Apple Store on the day it goes on sale.

I'm probably going to buy both: the Foleo and the Apple subnotebook. I'll buy the Foleo because it's relatively cheap and it will be available before they even announce the new MacThin or MacSlim or MacSin or whatever. And you can carry it around without worrying about screwing up a $2k machine. But I expect the new Mac will do everything I want in a laptop,and more. It might even define a new era in subnotebook computing. I'll finally be able to upgrade my G4 without going to a bigger, heavier box. And hey, the Foleo isn't even supposed to be a laptop replacement, right?
    That's not smart Guiness, no matter if the Foleo is $500!!! That's still a nice piece of change to lose to a thief!!

I still think Apple better rethink if they're going to go really high. I know Apple is never cheap, but the PC world may not pay $2800 just for a watered down laptop. That's the 17" MacBook Pro price also right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast