Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rosswords View Post
    Oh, I don't know what the actual price will be. But I'm fairly confident it will be priced more along the lines of a MacBook Pro ($2000 - $2,800) than the low-end MacBooks ($1,100 - $1,500). It will be positioned as a high-end, professional-level machine for those who can afford to pay for slimness. And I'll bet it will have some innovative designs and/or features that will make everyone drool with desire, like the iPhone. Maybe they'll even be standing on line outside the Apple Store on the day it goes on sale.

I'm probably going to buy both: the Foleo and the Apple subnotebook. I'll buy the Foleo because it's relatively cheap and it will be available before they even announce the new MacThin or MacSlim or MacSin or whatever. And you can carry it around without worrying about screwing up a $2k machine. But I expect the new Mac will do everything I want in a laptop,and more. It might even define a new era in subnotebook computing. I'll finally be able to upgrade my G4 without going to a bigger, heavier box. And hey, the Foleo isn't even supposed to be a laptop replacement, right?
    They can say it until they're blue in the face, but Foleo looks to be a subnotebook.

The Apple needs to have some big bang factor to get me to pay for it instead of a Pro!! The Pro knocks almost all others out of the water!! Except for those $3000+ Dell XPS and Alienware laptops maybe.

If they do go $1800-$2000, at least they'd be in line with PC subnotebook makers and then subnotebook PC users looking to spend that anyway will give it a look. You forget, PC users like to think they got more machine for the price. Mac users expect to pay a premium anyway.

Why do you think many jumped at the cheap Intel MacBooks? Finally a Mac they can afford with a processor they're used to!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    WHO CARES HOW MUCH THE MAC IS !! they will sell a **** load of them at any price... damn steve jobs marketing..

JK .. i think it will run about 1750 ish... it will fall in between the macbook and pro... since I dont think they was to run the risk of over pricing it.

Just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by eodell View Post
    See the article here
    Absolute Junk.

Macs enjoy a very small share of the PC market. With their mainstream machines, 15% of the market is the best they have achieved, even in the best of conditions. Macs will NEVER go anywhere. Never have and never will. This system is dead out of the gates -- END OF STORY.

TKOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by princealyy View Post
    WHO CARES HOW MUCH THE MAC IS !! they will sell a **** load of them at any price... damn steve jobs marketing..
    Steve Jobs is the classic underdog.... Fighting the big MS dogs... Bottom line is he will never be anything but second best. Hell, Linux enjoys a better market share than he does and for the most part Linux is marketed by a bunch of hackers.

End of story.

TKOS
    Apple hater much?

I disagree. Macs can go quite far. The only PCs that truly compete against Macs in terms of specs and hardware are the high end ones!!! But thanks to Bill and his questionable monopoly practices that he's been called on worldwide; almost everyone has been suckered into thinking Windows, the huge memory hog, is the better OS!!

Of course Jobs has his problems too, don't get me started!!! Both are jerks IMO!!! I have a love/hate feelings toward both of their lines of products. However blind hatred from both sides is so funny to watch! The craziness actually helps them both make huge bucks, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'm not so sure about that. I read a couple articles earlier this year that seemed to make a lot of sense that refute that.

Marketshare myth: Nailed!

Can Apple take Microsoft in the battle of the desktop?
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    Steve Jobs is the classic underdog.... Fighting the big MS dogs...
    Steve Jobs is the new "MS dog". Steve Dog was never the underdog.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Apple hater much?
    !
    I don't hate Apple. It simply is not worth my time.

I own a Civil Engineering company and NONE of our software will run on native Mac OS. Civil Engineering isn't exactly a nitch market, so I'm not alone in my opinions of Macs.

Yes, Apple can make some interesting hardware that is fun to use. I really like listening to my IPOD when I'm on the road..

Apple really is a dead dog out of the gate. Can't change it, regardless of how good you or anyone else thinks they are. This isn't me talking, it's the market numbers.

Foleo is taking a different path -- Not MS and Not Mac, and really not Linux; but some type of mixture of all and then some. Foleo is giving us a base platform with a tie to our personal data via our cell phones, but with the ability to tie into our mainstream systems and applications. Think about it, the Foleo really does have a very light OS and hardware the is a joke when compared to mainstream notebook computers. However, the Foleo gives us a plateform with the ability use resources on our mainstream systems... The nice thing is, Foleo is cheap, bombproof, runs for hours, and only requires a tiny charger.

Yup.

TKOS
    Last edited by TheKingOfSting; 08/30/2007 at 12:43 AM.
    That's the main gripe of mine about Mac OS, not enough works on it. They could do more to help that situation, IMO. But then Jobs like "exclusivity".

I don't hate Apple. It simply is not worth my time.

I own a Civil Engineering company and NONE of our software will run on native Mac OS. Civil Engineering isn't exactly a nitch market, so I'm not alone in my opinions of Macs.

TKOS
    I agree with you about the mac. I am however just as skeptical that you will be able to run your software on the foleo any time soon either.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    That's the main gripe of mine about Mac OS, not enough works on it. They could do more to help that situation, IMO. But then Jobs like "exclusivity".
    I really don't understand how you can say that when every Mac sold in the last few years can run Windows and every Windows application equally well as any PC.
    Visor DX > VisorPhone > T-Mobile Treo 270 > Sprint Treo 600 > Verizon Treo 700p > [Foleo?]
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Yeah, I am not buying into the Mac hating either. Plus I just saw this article over at Slashdot which indicates:

Apple's share of the laptop market has grown over the past few years and the company is now beating Gateway in sales, according research firm NPD Group Inc. in Port Washington, NY. 'Their sales are continuing to grow faster than the rest of the marketplace,' the firm stated. In June Apple was responsible for 17.6% of laptops sold (at retail) in the US and is now in third place behind HP and Toshiba.
    I really don't understand how you can say that when every Mac sold in the last few years can run Windows and every Windows application equally well as any PC.
    If I get a Mac, it means I don't want to use Windows. Otherwise I'll just get a Windows PC. I understand you can dual boot, but I want to use the OS X on a Mac.

Maybe I would use both on the MacBook Pro, but I'm not really sure I want to do that. Mac experience should be Mac experience IMO, not Windows residing in a Mac.

I wish there were way more programs compatible on the Mac OS and then I can DUMP Windows entirely! But everywhere I go to download cool software, so much is Windows only!!

Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    The mac is not intended for the IT world it is intended for the sole user to have a personal experience with.
    Geez, can't us Mac users have an intelligent conversation without a bunch of PC know-it-alls interrupting to tell us we're stupid and our computers are overpriced, under-functional or somehow illegitimate? Get a life, guys, and let us enjoy ours!

You know, more people should try looking beyond the tips of their noses and recognize that just because a computer (or anything else) isn't right for them, it might be right for somebody else. But I guess it's OK, because we're having the last laugh while you keep struggling with your beloved PCs.

Say it loud: I'm Mac and I'm proud!
    Visor DX > VisorPhone > T-Mobile Treo 270 > Sprint Treo 600 > Verizon Treo 700p > [Foleo?]
    Engineering software is a niche market, sorry. It commands a far smaller share of the software market (by dollars or units) than Macs do of the hardware market. Apple accepts this, which is why their own hardware engineers use CATIA and SolidWorks running on Windows.

It's also worth pointing out that Apple commands a much greater share of the computer market than, e.g., BMW has ever had of the car market. Nobody calls BMW dead. (Okay, they're recent work hasn't exactly been inspiring to me personally, but they do sell.)

So what if BMW won't sell you a parcel van or a vehicle to tow your fifth-wheel trailer? You're not their target market if you need those things. Likewise, Apple's not after people who need to use your niche software.

They're doing well by not trying to be all things to all people, and instead targeting home users and the things they do - surf the web, listen to music, maybe play a few games or assemble home movies - as well as the creative niche markets where they've always been strong (graphic design, video editing.)

Have fun running your software on the Fooleo via rdesktop, though. Be sure and let us know how that works out for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    I agree with you about the mac. I am however just as skeptical that you will be able to run your software on the foleo any time soon either.
    I'm quite certain I won't be able to run it on a Foleo, but I don't care. What I can do with a Foleo is log into my Dual Core workstation with 2GB or RAM via Logmein.com and run all of the software as if I was sitting right at my office desk.

Yes, you can also do this with an Apple notebook, but look at the price difference.

The Foleo will do much better by building on this thin client capability instead of trying to running this 'resource hog' apps.

TKOS
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    Engineering software is a niche market, sorry. It commands a far smaller share of the software market (by dollars or units) than Macs do of the hardware market. .
    I was only using this as an example, pointing out that many industries out there are running PC software they will never make it to a MAC.

It's also worth pointing out that Apple commands a much greater share of the computer market than, e.g., BMW has ever had of the car market. Nobody calls BMW dead. (Okay, they're recent work hasn't exactly been inspiring to me personally, but they do sell.)
    This is a classic apples and oranges comparison...

Have fun running your software on the Fooleo via rdesktop, though. Be sure and let us know how that works out for you.
    I would rarely do it anyway, even with a regular notebook. It is nice to be able to login to my workstation from time to time to something out or to run some quick cals. However, I can't get any real design work done on my laptop, regardless of the OS. The problem is the UI. I have a 14" widescreen on my laptop and two 22" widescreen LCDs at my desk... It doesn't take a mental giant to figure this one out.

TKOS
    Well, I've never tried to install Autodesk Civil 3D on Mac OS X, so I really can't comment beyond the fact that no one I work with does it. I work with huge companies with throusands of Autodesk seats, none of which are running on Mac OS X.

Why is that?

TKOS
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    But then you're just paying for a fancy case! Now that Apple have switched to Intel processors the components inside a Mac are exactly the same as a PC, what differentiates them is the OS and the design. Stick Windows on it and you're just left with the design part of it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast