1.    #1  
    Yes its our "beloved" Ben Combee...

Quote from his daily blog says:

"...and I've been busy with a lot of detailed work on speeding up the video playback on the Foleo..."

Forgive me Ben for blurting it out on this forum. If your hits on your blog the couple of months have gone up ever since the FOleo came out one of 'em is me I dont know how public you want to be with this one Could i ask you something thogh? when you say "speeding up", does that mean THERE IS video playback already on the Foleo?

I was just excited to hear about you guys working on video playback!! GO PALM!! So happy to see our cries to Palm has not fallen to deaf ears.... especially after Ed Colligan replied to the engadget open letter.
    link
    The Foleo hardware is capable of playback of several video formats as the Marathon 2700G chip accelerates the operations involved in H.263, MPEG-2, and MPEG-4 video. It is possible to use the hardware to support a standalone video player like TCPMP.

However, with Flash video, the problem is that the video stream is just one input into the Flash animation engine. Instead of showing the decoded video directly on the screen using an overlay, the decoded video data has to get copied from the Flash plugin to the the web browser, maybe with a stop in the middle to overlay graphics, then from the browser core to the application window, and then from the app window to the screen. All of that work bogs down the system enough to make playback very choppy.

As of the current system software build, Flash video isn't supported. We'd like to change that, but I can't promise anything yet.
    Ben-
    Thanks for explanation. Folks around here can be pretty quick to criticize, without really understanding the issues involved. Your explanation here, and your presence on TC in general, is tremendously helpful to those of us anxious to understand this device.
    Kinoma can get YouTube (i.e. Flash) videos to play on the Treo with a slower processor than the Foleo in an all software solution. Granted, the Foleo has a bigger display than the Treo but it seems to me that it should be possible to play YouTube videos in a small 320x320 scaled window on the Foleo using the Kinoma technology. Maybe I am missing something, or maybe the Kinoma guys have really pulled off an amazing feat and are refusing to license it to Palm for the Foleo. If that's the case, then I bet they are readying some software for sale for the Foleo that will enable YouTube just like they do for the Treo.

Personally, I don't think YouTube is a killer app for the Foleo, but ripping DVDs to an SD card for viewing on planes is and we can encode these as MPEG2 or 4 and take advantage of the hardware acceleration.
  6.    #7  
    i hope that solution comes soon... That would definitely be a killer app for the Foleo...

But i have no problem with having an external viewer pop up whenever i click on a youtube vid. do you guys? as long as i am able to watch
  7. vrf
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught View Post
    ...but ripping DVDs to an SD card for viewing on planes is and we can encode these as MPEG2 or 4 and take advantage of the hardware acceleration.
    While I'm getting a Foleo for more work-related stuff, I have to admit that the thought of...

...sounds like fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    As of the current system software build, Flash video isn't supported. We'd like to change that, but I can't promise anything yet.
    Until that is so, it'll be a deal breaker for me...
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Until that is so, it'll be a deal breaker for me...
    I would think that some third party vendor out there is going to brew up something that will allow video to be viewed on a Foleo, likely sooner than later would be my guess. I can watch movies on my Treo, which has very similar hardware to the Foleo, so it is most definately possible.

TKOS
    If you read what Ben said, the issue was strictly with playing video from within a browser, not having a stand alone video player.

It seems that a standalone video player could be knocked out in a week, using existing open source code. (If it hasn't already been done by Palm)

Hmmm.. just a strange thought. Macromedia does make stand alone flash players. (IIRC). How difficult would it be to have Opera pass off flash video URLs to a stand alone flash player? (Upon hitting play)
    HP200LX -> Palm Pilot -> Palm III -> Sony PEG-300 -> Sony PEG-N710C -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> (iPhone or Treo 800L or something unexpected)??
    with all the resource at palm disposal, they need Ben to improve the video playback???? Just what are the people at palm doing all day. Sleeping???