1.    #1  
    I'm betting it will be released in mid-November and that Palm will have added better security, support for more phones (including Treo 680), PIM apps, YouTube support and a tabbed browser.

And the price will be $499 with a free case/laptop sleeve included + a coupon that can be redeemed for any application in Palm's new Foleo software store.

Was the recent request for beta testers a last-minute attempt by Palm to figure out some of the bugs that were showing up even in the preview sessions? Remember the reports of how several Foleos were unable to sync at th demo sessions? Isn't it ironic that Palmmight have better support of the Foleo with Windows Mobile phones than Palm's own PalmOS phones?

I wonder what kind of Foleo competition will have been announced or available by the time the Foleo is finally on sale?
    - Asus Eee 701
    - Asus Eee 1001
    - Tiny Fujitsu laptops
    - Cheaper IBM X series laptops
    - 12 inch Apple laptop
    - Cheap ($400) Dell laptop
    680 integration (yes), tabbed browser (I wish, probably not, wouldnt be surprised if Wii Tabs gets a favorite's button there), better security (yep), SDHC offical support (yep), better BT stack (yep), trial versions of most of the software demoed defautly installed (you bet)...that's all I can think of for now.

Isn't it ironic that Palmmight have better support of the Foleo with Windows Mobile phones than Palm's own PalmOS phones?
    Not really. Every developer I know that does both says that developing in WM is easier because of the tools, though doing PalmOS dev is more fun.

Nevertheless, I've wanted a Foleo, but that has tempered a good deal, and mainly because of some (vital to me yet) missing items.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    knowing Palm, the changes will be: it will come in red and blue
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    I wonder what kind of Foleo competition will have been announced or available by the time the Foleo is finally on sale?
    - Asus Eee 701
    - Asus Eee 1001
    - Tiny Fujitsu laptops
    - Cheaper IBM X series laptops
    - 12 inch Apple laptop
    - Cheap ($400) Dell laptop[/COLOR]
    Have these been mentioned yet?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    If Palm had any sense left ( I think it left the building around about the time they bought Handspring), then the answer to this question is 'Never'.

The Treo does not need a 'companion device' - it needs to be a better product, more effectively supported, designed and built than it is now. The Foleo is a distraction from the core product line that used to be Palm's domain entirely and which corporate ennui has whittled away to a near embarrassment now. Building a much bigger device that simply makes the Treo's meager capabilities easier to view (rather than fixing the issues with the Treo itself) doesn't solve anything.

If the Foleo absolutely needs to be built, then make the device entirely standalone, certainly no bigger than the old Psion 5mx (and please add that device's excellent keyboard which has yet to be surpassed in any handheld) and make sure if has full connectivity and mutlitasking capabilities.

Oh, and fix the Treo.
    I'm betting it will be released in mid-November and that Palm will have added better security, support for more phones (including Treo 680), PIM apps, YouTube support and a tabbed browser.
    I'd take that bet. Given the recent update about the Foleo release date on the frontpage of Treocentral.com, it is highly unlikely that Palm is going to slip their summer release date. They went out of their way to contact TreoCentral to have them correct their blog post stating a October release date. This tells me they are very serious about hitting this deadline.

Unlike the missed deadlines for the 700P MR, Palm has complete control over when this product hits the streets. IMO, the carriers are mostly to blame for Palm missing the 700P MR deadlines. This is evident in the fact that the 755P still has not come out on Verizon, yet was released on Sprint in May, and may not be out on verizon until the end of November. Verizon is notorious for this type of thing.

TKOS
    Last edited by TheKingOfSting; 08/24/2007 at 03:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MleB View Post
    The Treo does not need a 'companion device' - it needs to be a better product, more effectively supported, designed and built than it is now. The Foleo is a distraction from the core product line that used to be Palm's domain entirely and which corporate ennui has whittled away to a near embarrassment now. Building a much bigger device that simply makes the Treo's meager capabilities easier to view (rather than fixing the issues with the Treo itself) doesn't solve anything.
    I believe that Palm releasing the Foleo will open the door to new Treo form factor(s). Palm seems determined to give users a certian type of interface on their smartphones, which is very likely the reason the Treo form factor has stayed the same for so long. Having a mobile companion allows them to continue to do this while simplifing the smartphone half of the equation. The BB Pearl, for example, is a great form factor for a smartphone, but the interface isn't nearly as usable as a Treo. However, if one where to marry a Foleo with a BB Pearl (or a Treo with a similar form factor), one could continue to enjoy both a nice UI and form factor.

Given the energy Palm has put into the Foleo project, I believe we are seeing only the "tip of the iceberg" with respect to future Treos and what not.

TKOS.
    I'm betting 680 support and Youtube, mainly to neutralise the criticism they've gotten ever since the bad reaction to Hawkins' "It will do it, but not well" quote.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    680 integration (yes), tabbed browser (I wish, probably not, wouldnt be surprised if Wii Tabs gets a favorite's button there), better security (yep), SDHC offical support (yep), better BT stack (yep), trial versions of most of the software demoed defautly installed (you bet)...that's all I can think of for now.

Not really. Every developer I know that does both says that developing in WM is easier because of the tools, though doing PalmOS dev is more fun.

Nevertheless, I've wanted a Foleo, but that has tempered a good deal, and mainly because of some (vital to me yet) missing items.

I agree with SDHC support, but depending on Wii tabs would be an embarassment to Palm. I hope they don't load a ton of garbage trialware applications that no one wants onto the Foleo like they do with Treos + with many Windows laptops. I want to be the one deciding what is installed on my devices.

The Foleo's syncing/pairing software probably needs to be beefed up, but this isn't something Palm should be rushing. Expecting Palm to revise the software + reflash a few thousand Foleos in time for October is expecting a lot from the company.

And what about moving everything to Wind River Linux? Should all of that be done BEFORE the Foleo is released? That would probably push things back a few more months
    Who knows what they are going to do, one this is for sure, they are not building any anticipation like the iphone did for apple.
  11. vrf
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    knowing Palm, the changes will be: it will come in red and blue
    Actually, I think that would be really cool.

I think the Treo sync thing will be fixed, the PIM will be bundled, and there will be a few more features added to the browser. Maybe the rebate will be instant.

And what about moving everything to Wind River Linux? Should all of that be done BEFORE the Foleo is released? That would probably push things back a few more months
    Wind River and Palm have been working together in some capacity since 2005, I would not be surprised if they are already working together, and that the announcement was more or less a public acknowledgement of this in order to get developers and much of the Linux community on board with things.

A lot should always be done before things are released, however when do you know marketing/PRPRPR $to$ $ever$ $listen$ $to$ $the$ $a$ $developer$'$s$ $more$ $realistic$ $performance$/$timelines$?
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by vrf View Post
    Actually, I think that would be really cool.

I think the Treo sync thing will be fixed, the PIM will be bundled, and there will be a few more features added to the browser. Maybe the rebate will be instant.
    Yeah i think i would like the blue one coz i have a blue treo 755p. Has to be a little darker hue though coz they're just too bright
    Quote Originally Posted by freakout View Post
    I'm betting 680 support and Youtube, mainly to neutralise the criticism they've gotten ever since the bad reaction to Hawkins' "It will do it, but not well" quote.

I'm a foleo fanatic from DAY 1.

I hate to have to agree with some of the foleo naysayers. In a way, they are right, about the Foleo, its a device with limited potential.

I'm very surprised that colligans actually read and replied on the palm corporate blog to that letter. I'd just like to point out that palm has a huge following and has extremely loyal customers akin to apple corp.. I've been using palm for ages as mentioned in other posts. But they lost me during the initial treo stages, i didn't even look at those phones. Ironically, a friend of mine the other day pulled out an old treo 300 i believe. Man am I glad i stayed away until the 650. I even discovered that there was a class action lawsuit because of the 600's dysfunctionality.

All in all my point is that we are all here discussing Palm and treo's and foleo's because there is a large fan base out here waiting for palm to get back on track, and the fact that colligans responded to that very well thought out and pointed letter gives me at least some re-assurance.

Whether i will buy a foleo now remains to be seen, i was actually one of the few that was looking forward to the august 22nd release date, but when i saw that come and go, i was disappointed. I know that it was just an "unconfirmed" release date, but the damage is still done. It makes palm look like they are fumbling around with yet another "lifedrive". I dont want to buy a foleo if its not going to reach a certain level of success, at least enough for palm to fully support it. God knows the treo's bluetooth STILL doesn't damn work correctly, especially with certain cars for handsfree. Palms knowledgebase gives few if any in depth technical answers. Like MAC's, if your going to provide an appliance user interface, make the damned thing rock solid and stable.

IMHO, after having seen this august 22nd "unofficial" release date come and go, i now think the foleo is a tad overpriced. sure its got a 100 mail in rebate, but i'm not sure whether im going to plunk down 500 of my hard earned dollars up front for something that may or may not pan out in the future. I would have to really use one and play with one to determine exactly what final functionality this device is really going to provide.

I guess my excitement has died down. I've been following any foleo or palm corp developments since I learned about this device, so hopefully many others will be unaware of these small growing pains and buy it. If that happens this device will gain market acceptance, and at that point perhaps i could justify a 600 price tag. Until that happens though, maybe they should drop the price to 500 with a 100 dollar rebate, after all, 600 dollars seems likes a hefty price to pay for a "smartphone companion".

P.S.

The new pictures of the CENTRO are awesome, i can see a lot of people liking and using this new phone. Kudos to palm if they can bring this device to market for $99 with contract, i think this will be successfull provided the device isnt plagued with the same resets my 700p is.
    Last edited by lcstyle; 08/27/2007 at 09:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I heard end of August was the official date. but we are near it already, just a few more days to go. And obviously, palm has missed the back to school period - which they don't really care since kids don't want the foleo anyway.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
    I heard end of August was the official date. but we are near it already, just a few more days to go. And obviously, palm has missed the back to school period - which they don't really care since kids don't want the foleo anyway.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Palm$ $has$ $never$ $officially$ $stated$ $that$ $end$ $of$ $August$ $is$ $the$ $release$ $date$. $That$ $is$ $probably$ $just$ $another$ $one$ $of$ $those$ &$quot$;$leaked$&$quot$; $dates$ $that$ $float$ $around$. $Palm$ $has$ $always$ $said$ $this$ $summer$. $Summer$ $ends$ $Sept$ $23$, $so$ $they$ $still$ $have$ $a$ $few$ $weeks$.

TKOS
    My bets are:

* Second week of September - because I'll be on holiday in Scotland that week with only my Treo to rely on for email/net access
    * No YouTube - from what Ben Combee says, the Flash video layering process simply requires more welly than the Mk I Foleo is capable of, and no amount of software tinkering will fix that
    * More third-party software announcements - any takers on an MPEG player such as Kinoma?

BTW, the Treo 680 is already supported (according to Ben), just not stable under high email loads. And I'd rather have my Foleo now and an Opera update later. The Foleo is designed to make ROM-flashing fairly straightforward, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    This will probably go down as one of the top 10 worst products in 2007. Maybe 2008 by the time its released..lol
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    This will probably go down as one of the top 10 worst products in 2007. Maybe 2008 by the time its released..lol
    If only! Then it would be gone 12 months later, and not be a continuing cost on Palm's development budget that would be better spent in so many ways that would benefit many, many more customers (replacing VersaMail with Chatter through to replacing POS with Linux for a couple of examples).

Unfortunately I suspect there will be enough sales for this "niche product" to carry on distracting Palm for a while yet. I hope I'm wrong, either way TBH!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...