1.    #1  
    There are a couple of usability issues that drive me crazy on my Treo, and I wonder if they'll be replicated on the Foleo.

"Optimized" websites
    I can't stand websites that detect you're using a smartphone and automatically shift you to their "optimized" sites. The LA Times and Chicago Tribune, for example. Even Google's links send me to optimized sites (although at least Google gives you the option to go to the native HTML site, unlike those dreaded WAP sites). Will the Foleo also send me to optimized sites? That would defeat the purpose of a full-size screen. Or will it send me to an optimized site if I'm using DUN and the HTML site if I'm using Wi-Fi? That would be weird.

PDF fonts
    Another thing that drives me nuts is that PDF to Go doesn't properly render fonts, which makes it nearly useless for a lot of documents. One of the attractions of a Foleo is the ability to use a full screen for reading documents. But if the document isn't rendered properly, that would also undermine the rationale for a Foleo.

As a business user, I like the Foleo concept because it will give me most of the functionality without the weight of a laptop, but if it just transports the limitations of the Treo to a larger screen and full-size keyboard, that would be a disappointment. I'm a loyal, longtime Visor/Treo user who's rooting for Foleo to become a breakthrough product, but if Palm can't bring the user experience into the modern era I just might have to switch to an iPhone.

Ben, would you care to weigh in on this?
    Visor DX > VisorPhone > T-Mobile Treo 270 > Sprint Treo 600 > Verizon Treo 700p > [Foleo?]
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    None of the websites I went to automatically when to an optimized page. (Of course, most of those probably never do that, but gmail was certainly the normal gmail, and not the optimized one.

And I brought the ebook "Why I Write About Elves" by Terry Brooks with me to LinuxWorld, and I believe it looked like it would on my laptop, and not in my Treo.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Won't it depend on how Opera represents itself and if the website even checks the type of browser. Actually I wish more did and automatically redirected me to an mobile optimized version of the site. Of course of the Foleo there is no need for a mobile optimized site especially when connected via WiFi.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I've been reading the Palm Developer Guide, and the Foleo has proper font support (I'm probably not supposed to tell you the details, since it's members-only) - basically it's what you'd expect from a system based on Linux rather than Garnet.
    Last edited by Redfox1477; 08/22/2007 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Re-checked confidentiality agreement on PDN site!!!
  5. vrf
    Ouooo.... a developer is in the room. Any apps in the pipeline?
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfox1477 View Post
    I've been reading the Palm Developer Guide, and the Foleo has proper font support (I'm probably not supposed to tell you the details, since it's members-only) - basically it's what you'd expect from a system based on Linux rather than Garnet.
    Anyone can join so it's probably OK to "spill" the beans. Depending on how techie you get not many will understand anyway.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.