1.    #1  
    Is there such a solution for the Foleo?

And Ben if you are reading this, just how exactly are you gonna be able to access the internet in the Foleo thru the Treo? Is the DUN capabilities built-in or do we have to have a program installed?

Thanks!
    All current Treo smartphones have a DUN Bluetooth profile as a standard part of their system, and the initial pairing that you do to associate your phone with the Foleo also sets up the DUN connection. From the Foleo, you just go up to the BT icon, click on it to bring up the menu, then pick "Connect to the Internet". You disconnect the same way when you're done.
    "Current Treo smartphones". Including the Treo 680?
    I am sure that the phone's will be capable of connnecting, my only concern is, will our wireless providers (sprint, cingular, etc ) hit us up for connection charges?

Will we have to get PAM plans to use the foleo??

If i have to spend 40/ month to use the Foleo, im not sure i will make the switch, i am already on the fence about it, since i have a mac with a pretty good sleep feature ( i know its not the same)

But if i have to pay, then all bet are off, if there is no monthly???

Then i will just order it for using to take notes and quick emails in the warehouse, i am hoping the keyboard is good, i am spoiled by the MBP's keyboard though
    Quote Originally Posted by freakout View Post
    "Current Treo smartphones". Including the Treo 680?
    My Treo 680 automatically turns into a modem when I make a DUN connection over bluetooth.
    Excellent. /Mr. Burns
  7.    #7  
    thanks ben for the quick response!

was actually looking for a lower cost solution to this tethering thing w the foleo. much like usb modem and pdanet are....

will the developers of pdanet and usbmodem fill us in as to whether they plan to make foleo versions of their apps?
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    thanks ben for the quick response!

was actually looking for a lower cost solution to this tethering thing w the foleo. much like usb modem and pdanet are....

will the developers of pdanet and usbmodem fill us in as to whether they plan to make foleo versions of their apps?
    IIRC, June Fabrics (maker of PDANet) have said they are not going to create a version for the Foleo.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.

The Bluetooth mode of USB Modem looks an awful lot like a standard DUN profile.
    What I think Ben is saying and I'll take a bit further: there really is no magic when it comes to PDANet/USB Modem. They essentially automate what is a simple process.

When you connect up to a device via BT or USB and go into "modem mode", the device is dialing up an access number by your provider. This is where if you don't have a PAM plan you get prompted to get one.

The secret is re-routing the connection to, at least on Sprint, #777 which is what the device "dials" to connect to the internet normally e.g. not tethered. We even did this at ppcgeeks without PDAnet/USB Modem here. Granted, it was a bit clumsy but it works.

If you can access the DUN profile on the Foleo you can manipulate the settings to redirect where it's dialing and hence, potentially, bypass the Multi-NAI.

I'm not guaranteeing anyone that this will work but that is essentially all PDANet does: it creates a new profile and simplifies the process, it no real magic. But assuming we have the correct drivers we should be able to hack by it.

Until I or others actually get a Foleo though we won't know but I wouldn't consider this a huge obstacle.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11.    #11  
    Now which one should i buy if i am eventually gonna be able to use it on the Foleo? or will i ever be gonna be able to? THanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    The Bluetooth mode of USB Modem looks an awful lot like a standard DUN profile.

Yes, but does it have those stunning USB Modem graphics?

KISS principle, Ben. Build simplicity, functionality and Zen...Zen zhey vill come.
    Now which one should i buy if i am eventually gonna be able to use it on the Foleo? or will i ever be gonna be able to? THanks!

Neither. These are apps for PalmOS + Windows. The Foleo will allow Dial Up Networking with Treos to connect you to the Internet. The problem is that carriers require you to have a separate data plan to use ("share") data on anything but your cellphone. This is the secret no one seems to talk about with the Foleo.

The other problem the Foleo has is that even without PdaNet or USB Modem, with minimal effort Windows laptop owners can already configure their Bluetooth dumbphones to act as a modem (dial #777). I did this last year after turning off Modem NAI on a Samsung A920:

"Modem NAI Disable Procedure
    To disable the secondary Modem NAI, go to Menu > Settings > Display, and press 0 to access a hidden menu. Enter 040793 as the security code. At the following menu, scroll to Toggle NAI and chose Off Modem NAI, followed by OK. Then power the phone off immediately. When you turn the phone back on, Modem NAI will be disabled."

PdaNet simply makes it painless for non-techies to access DUN using Treos with Windows, as well as offering a proxy mode to allow tethering to be undetected by Sprint.

This is why I prefer to own a Treo 700p a Windows laptop and copies of both PdaNet and USB Modem instead of hacking away at Linux on my own :

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/samsu...ing-linux.html
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post

This is why I prefer to own a Treo 700p a Windows laptop and copies of both PdaNet and USB Modem instead of hacking away at Linux on my own :

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/samsu...ing-linux.html
    Yes, Linux can be a bit daughting in this respect. However, there are projects out there that allow one to do this sort of thing with a certain level of abstraction. Basically, you'd have a set of scripts and configuration templates that make all of the modifications for you. To activate the changes, one would simply execute issue a command -- no hacking necessary . Needing to understand the various steps and configuration settings is not necessary. One only needs to know the command to tell the system to activate the setting changes.

TKOS
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    What I think Ben is saying and I'll take a bit further: there really is no magic when it comes to PDANet/USB Modem. They essentially automate what is a simple process.

When you connect up to a device via BT or USB and go into "modem mode", the device is dialing up an access number by your provider. This is where if you don't have a PAM plan you get prompted to get one.

The secret is re-routing the connection to, at least on Sprint, #777 which is what the device "dials" to connect to the internet normally e.g. not tethered. We even did this at ppcgeeks without PDAnet/USB Modem here. Granted, it was a bit clumsy but it works.

If you can access the DUN profile on the Foleo you can manipulate the settings to redirect where it's dialing and hence, potentially, bypass the Multi-NAI.

I'm not guaranteeing anyone that this will work but that is essentially all PDANet does: it creates a new profile and simplifies the process, it no real magic. But assuming we have the correct drivers we should be able to hack by it.

Until I or others actually get a Foleo though we won't know but I wouldn't consider this a huge obstacle.
    Just been trying out USB Modem with my Mac Powerbook, and i just realized what you mean here...

I wonder if we can change the phone numbers too on the Foleo like we do on the laptops. I think thats basically the thing that we have to change to be able to tether on the Foleo.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    will the foleo's linux OS have universal internet proxy settings?

I would think more seriously about ditching my old iBook for a $300ish Foleo if it had proxy like OS X does.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+