Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    That seems awfully long. [Checks] My Sony Vaio just took under 20 seconds to come out of hibernate mode (and about the same again to negotiate a WiFi connection...which a Foleo may have to do too, of course, depending on the task you want to perform).

Once it's on, of course, it's a vastly more capable tool.
    I believe a good chunk of that time for me is the Wifi. Maybe it's a Dell thing. However, you are missing the point that I was trying to make with Instant On, which is click a button and you are in an app. Do you use a Palm OS device?

TKOS
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Once it's on, of course, it's a vastly more capable tool.
    Well obviously, but most users don't make use of the extra capabilities. If you only have basic requirements then a basic machine will be sufficient, i.e. you don't need a quad core system with dual 8800GTX's and 4GB's of DDR2 memory if you only use your PC for browsing the internet and sending the odd email.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Well obviously, but most users don't make use of the extra capabilities. If you only have basic requirements then a basic machine will be sufficient, i.e. you don't need a quad core system with dual 8800GTX's and 4GB's of DDR2 memory if you only use your PC for browsing the internet and sending the odd email.
    You would be surprised how powerful a machine you need to negotiate the web these days. I believe even Colligan says the Foleo is underpowered.

Surur
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Well, I've handled it, and besides the known issues (which I'm sure they're working on), it seemed to browse the internet just fine. I went to all the forums I go to, my regular webcomics, went to ign, my school's website, facebook and myspace, my bank account, aintitcool, gmail, etc. so I'm not exactly sure what websites you're referring to.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    ^^ Normal websites shouldn't pose too much of a problem. at least, I hope. But most Flash websites and ads are absolute pigs when it comes to resources. There are some Flash ads that make my dual-core desktop slow down, which is just pathetic. (The Flashblock extension for Mozilla is the best extension ever - hope someone develops something similar for the Foleo.)
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    Do you use a Palm OS device?
    See my sig!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Well obviously, but most users don't make use of the extra capabilities.
    Unfortunately I need to, so I tend to have a laptop with me an unfeasible amount of the day!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    You would be surprised how powerful a machine you need to negotiate the web these days. I believe even Colligan says the Foleo is underpowered.
    Like Utube, which Foleo can't manage, but Treos can.

Perhaps the Treo is the Foleo companion???
    The "instant-on" issue may be a psychological thing more than the actual time the device takes to power on. Imagine a Treo having a "hibernate" mode and a "screen-on" mode, though the Treo may actually be hibernating when the screen is off.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
    great idea! I may try that myself. There is a "proof of concept" for puppy linux and web 2.0 apps. Now combine that with LogMeIn or other RDP client and you have a Foleo Killer (less the sync of course)
    I found an article describing an install of puppy linux on a low end notebook similar to what I was previously talking about here
    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/..._full_featured

For example, this web page lists start-up times for Puppy running on a 433MHz PC. The PC has only 128MB of RAM and a 128MB compact flash card, and no hard drive (Puppy knows to minimize writes to the flash device to prolong its life). Most applications start in less than a second on this PC. Here are timings for some of the bigger, slower applications as listed on that web page:

Start-up times for applications Application First start (seconds) Subsequent starts (seconds)
    Mozilla Seamonkey web browser 12(once installed) 6
    Inkscape graphics editor 10 8
    Abiword word processor 5 5
    Gnumeric spreadsheet 3 3
    Gxine media player 2 2
    Geany code editor/IDE 2 2

Not too shabby and not far off from the Foleo specs. Although this device is not instant on and instant switching of apps. This type of situation maybe less expensive( if you have an old laptop around) and much more full featured with current software.
    However it will not weigh in at 2 pounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    No, because it would take forever! lol

Seriously, between traveling on the train/subway, meetings, classes, etc. the need for an instant-on device is quite high.

Now, we've been over the "suspend or hibernate" route and while those are faster than rebooting, they still consume battery life, take time and if you do need to shut-down, require you un-suspend and then shut-down.

The OP is sort of right though: the funny thing about the Foleo is just that Palm was the first to do the "instant on" thing. The only thing surprising is that no one else has done it yet.

This will be niche for awhile, just like smartphones are. Eventually, it might grow but Palm knows better than to take on MS and Apple directly in terms of OS for a laptop, hence their angling as a smartphone companion. And I bet both Apple and MS will somehow copy these features.

And the bad thing is, they will both probably do more with their devices. That is the problem with Palm many times, someone ELSE always does it better due to Palm managing to somehow slow down innovation at the wrong moment.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    And the bad thing is, they will both probably do more with their devices. That is the problem with Palm many times, someone ELSE always does it better due to Palm managing to somehow slow down innovation at the wrong moment.
    Unless you work for a company like Palm or IBM or Microsoft or (insert any large company here) you cannot appreciate how difficult it is to balance the wow factor (bleeding edge technology)and the need to produce something that is stable and profitable. Most of the "someone ELSE" companies don't have near as much to worry about as Palm does. At the same time you don't get the same level of support relative to the number of sales that you get from Palm. Take for example Chatter Email. Marc provided terrific support but the number of licenses sold were nothing compared to the number of Treo's that Palm has sold. Believe I get just as frustrated as everyone else but I do cut Palm some slack because I work for a company that is sometimes in the same position.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    How many times do you want to see the same Treo over and over, with just a few small upgrades? I finally had to move on.

They better not do this with the Foleo if other companies are going to start "copying" features! They're going to have to somehow stay ahead. Being beaten at your own game is NOT good!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    They better not do this with the Foleo if other companies are going to start "copying" features! They're going to have to somehow stay ahead. Being beaten at your own game is NOT good!
    That's the nature of the industry and probably explains why Palm are so secretive about new products.
    How many times do you want to see the same Treo over and over, with just a few small upgrades? I finally had to move on.
    It is a love / hate relationship. Like I bought a new Sony digitial camera. Less than two months, my model was discountinued. At that moment, I hope that Sony don't introduce the new model so fast (at least 6 month). Look back to Palm, every time they only made a few minor changes, it is good for existing users or users who don't change phone very often because they don't feel their phone is obsoleted. BUT it is bad for new buyers because they don't want to buy a outdated product.
    See my sig!
    And you don't see any difference between accessing an application on your Treo versus bringing your notebook out of hybernation and firing up and app?
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    With all this talk of future software, no one knows if anything that gets ported will be instant on. When I was in NYC at the sneek peek I was told that Open Office was rejected because it would have to load. So I for see ports of software that have to load. New software for the Foleo should be instant on.

We will see.
    Quote Originally Posted by emajy View Post
    With all this talk of future software, no one knows if anything that gets ported will be instant on. When I was in NYC at the sneek peek I was told that Open Office was rejected because it would have to load. So I for see ports of software that have to load. New software for the Foleo should be instant on.

We will see.
    This is a very good point. My understanding is that instant on is accomplished by keeping either all or part of the app running in the background. Given that the foleo has a fairly small amount of on-board memory, big apps like open office just won't work.

I wonder if it would be possible to decide if an app is instand on or not. Maybe one could slap in some additional flash memory and install certain apps that you don't need to be instant on.

TKOS
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    And you don't see any difference between accessing an application on your Treo versus bringing your notebook out of hybernation and firing up and app?
    A few seconds...

Which you may also have to wait for the Foleo to sync with the Treo (assuming it's not a 680, which it currently won't sync with anyway).

My point was though, that whilst there are vastly more apps on the notebook, even the Tro itself is more capable than the Foleo in some areas, like video.
    I am not a linux user , does anyone knows if foleo can used openoffice. and will it still be instant on when loaded with openoffice.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast