1.    #1  
    I'm totally sold on the Foleo concept. I realize that 90% of the time I don't need the full horsepower of a laptop. With web (and I can live w/o tabbed browsing), RDP and email I'm pretty well set.

Here's the rub: I *need* IMAP support. I check email on 3 PCs daily, not to mention my Treo. I've been using IMAP for years, and it just plain works for me. Web based mail is awkward at best, and there's absolutely no way I'm going back to POP3. Neither one really handles my multiple work and personal accounts.

One of the mission critical functions for Foleo is email. But until some enterprising developer writes an IMAP client for Foleo, I don't think the device is for me. Going back to Versamail just to sync with my Treo doesn't work. With IMAP I have 8 mailboxes and 4 different accts *always* in sync, from any of my PCs and my Treo.

Now when I can access that from a Foleo, I'll buy one immediately.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I agree that a "native" client supporting IMAP is a must have for the Foleo. I wish Marc was around to port Chatter to the Foleo.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    I agree that a "native" client supporting IMAP is a must have for the Foleo. I wish Marc was around to port Chatter to the Foleo.
    I've read this complaint about the Foleo more than once, but dont' really understand what the problem is. If the Foleo is syncing with your Treo's email client (which does have IMAP support), then doesn't this sync basically give you IMAP funtionality?

I guess one could make the argument that it would be nice to be able to check email from the Foleo via WIFI, totally independent of a Treo. However, this seems to be a little "nit-picky." Basically, it assumes that one is wanting to use the Foleo without a Treo. The Foleo is being marketed as a Mobile Companion, therefore it is targeted at existing Smartphone users.

TKOS
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Well... if it did have that IMAP support, it would be easier for non-Treo users who are interested in the device, but reliant on IMAP, to get it. It would just add more people who would buy the device. (As each "must-have" feature would.)

I have no clue if this particular missing feature was intentional or just due to limited time though.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    I've read this complaint about the Foleo more than once, but dont' really understand what the problem is. If the Foleo is syncing with your Treo's email client (which does have IMAP support), then doesn't this sync basically give you IMAP funtionality?

I guess one could make the argument that it would be nice to be able to check email from the Foleo via WIFI, totally independent of a Treo. However, this seems to be a little "nit-picky." Basically, it assumes that one is wanting to use the Foleo without a Treo. The Foleo is being marketed as a Mobile Companion, therefore it is targeted at existing Smartphone users.

TKOS
    My bad. I've been using Snappermail so long, I didn't realize that Versamail now has IMAP support. I too had read that complaint here, but never looked up Versamail's specs. It does indeed support IMAP. I may be willing to give it a try, although there was a long thread on the 700p board about Versamail being responsible for a significant lag on that device at least.

Looks like I've got some more homework to do. But it also looks more like there's a Foleo in my near future!
    The one thing I don't want to have to do is start using VersaMail on my Treo for the IMAP support when I already use, and am happy with, Chatter. Maybe that will not be an issue if/when Palm updates or replaces VersaMail. As it stands now, I don't want to configure VersaMail just to support a Foleo.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    The one thing I don't want to have to do is start using VersaMail on my Treo for the IMAP support when I already use, and am happy with, Chatter. Maybe that will not be an issue if/when Palm updates or replaces VersaMail. As it stands now, I don't want to configure VersaMail just to support a Foleo.
    That's really where I am too, although I use Snappermail. I've just played with Versamail a bit, and it seems pretty limited. IMAP support is essential, but if Versamail sucks (and it seems to, on first blush) I'm still not satisfied. Hopefully a 3rd party developer will port something over for the Foleo (come on Snappermail!).
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Well seeing as Marc, of Chatter fame, now works for Palm I would expect it to be able to sync to the Foleo
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    ...I guess one could make the argument that it would be nice to be able to check email from the Foleo via WIFI, totally independent of a Treo...
    Bingo! When I'm sitting in Starbucks or at home I don't want to be limited to the speed (or lack there of) of my Treo. Also I don't want to use VersaMail as it doesn't support the IMAP IDLE command which is where the "push" in IMAP comes from. Maybe it will eventually support it but that still leaves the speed issue.

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    Bingo! When I'm sitting in Starbucks or at home I don't want to be limited to the speed (or lack there of) of my Treo. Also I don't want to use VersaMail as it doesn't support the IMAP IDLE command which is where the "push" in IMAP comes from. Maybe it will eventually support it but that still leaves the speed issue.
    Who says you can't connect WIFI and sync email via your smartphone at the same time?

I'm going out on a limb here, but I believe Palm bought Chatter with the intention of integrating portions of Chatter into Versamail. All indications from the Chatter website and forums are that Chatter is a dead project. They (Chatter support) state very clearly that Palm has no intention what so ever on continuing to develop Chatter nor will it be ported to the Foleo.

TKOS.
    Last edited by TheKingOfSting; 08/16/2007 at 04:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Well seeing as Marc, of Chatter fame, now works for Palm I would expect it to be able to sync to the Foleo
    Nope. From the Chatter forums:

User:

Will Marc (or anyone) be doing anything to set Chatter up to work with a Foleo? I'm sure I'm not the only user who'd like to have that capability. And since it's all internal to Palm now, it should be feasible, one would think.

Marc:

It's not going to happen; sorry.

Marc

TKOS
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Meanwhile, in a parallel universe without the Foleo "niche product", hundreds of thousands of people worldwide are using 3G Palm/Linux Treos to read email via ChatterEmail 4?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Who says you can't connect WIFI and sync email via your smartphone at the same time?
    No one that I know of.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I believe Palm bought Chatter with the intention of integrating portions of Chatter into Versamail.
    Lots of folks are hoping this is true.

All indications from the Chatter website and forums are that Chatter is a dead project. They (Chatter support) state very clearly that Palm has no intention what so ever on continuing to develop Chatter nor will it be ported to the Foleo.

TKOS.
    Unfortunately I think you're correct.

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Dog Doc View Post
    I'm totally sold on the Foleo concept. I realize that 90% of the time I don't need the full horsepower of a laptop. With web (and I can live w/o tabbed browsing), RDP and email I'm pretty well set.

Here's the rub: I *need* IMAP support. I check email on 3 PCs daily, not to mention my Treo.
    Some webmail is awful (MS Exchange, for example), but not all. I funnel all my email into the imap server at Fastmail, whose webmail works very well. I'd use the Fastmail site on the Treo except that the tiny screen does make it hard to use. The Foleo display should solve that problem.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by opensecret View Post
    Some webmail is awful (MS Exchange, for example), but not all. I funnel all my email into the imap server at Fastmail, whose webmail works very well. I'd use the Fastmail site on the Treo except that the tiny screen does make it hard to use. The Foleo display should solve that problem.

I do in fact use Fastmail. I love their service, I think it is the most fully featured email provider available. I do use their web interface in a pinch, and that's probably what I'll do with a Foleo. However, I do prefer a desktop client.

If all you use is the web interface, why do you need IMAP?

TKOS
    I really do plan on using the Foleo standalone with wifi without using a smartphone.

Until the mail client is able to directly manage email instead of synchronization with the smartphone email client, there is a very workable workaround...

Use WEB email through opera.

In addition, I really want the Foleo to work with all Windows Mobile 5 and 6 Devices. It should not matter if it is a Treo or not, just support Windows Mobile...