Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    The pattern seems to me to be strong but declining growth until October 2006, then pretty flat (excepting the variations you'd expect comparing individual months).
    The main factor limiting their growth seemed to be their new own brand strategy. O2 Asia for example severed ties completely with them, as did companies like HP, and Palm diversified to other ODM's

Digitimes does seem to have its finger on the pulse occasionally and a million devices in a little over 6 months would be pretty good. That would probably make it about 25% of all of their devices sold. I guess the big questions are the extent to which it's really broken into the consumer market and the extent to which it's just replacing existing 'corporate market' devices.
    With several potential blockbuster devices coming over the next few months, and WM now pretty well established, I would hope it forms a much smaller portion of their sales. The WM market is expected to be 20 million for the next 12 months, and HTC will probably again own most of that market.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I think cinealta was suggesting an approach of WM plus another OS. Numbers for Sony Ericsson are pretty instructive:
    I think it goes to demonstrate that it has much more to do with the brand and device specs than the OS itself. In fact the SE devices have developed a bit of a reputation for being slow, buggy and unstable, at least until a few ROM updates, again showing the Symbian OS is not that protective. The T-Mobile Dash and Samsung Blackjack in USA has also shown that the WM OS is not a barrier to mass market acceptance.

It would be pretty expensive for HTC to develop Symbian expertise, but I'm sure they will do what serves their own interest best.

Surur
    This thread is without reason. How can anyone know if the Foleo is so bad Palm should throw in the towl when no one "in the wild" has had the chance to use it.

I'm sure there were people who laughted when who ever starting talking about the automobile, the airplane, a computer. Are they laughing now?

The Foleo has real potential.....

Let's have this discussion this time next year. Then, well the facts to really discuss this topic.

TKOS
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    This thread is without reason. How can anyone know if the Foleo is so bad Palm should throw in the towl when no one "in the wild" has had the chance to use it.

I'm sure there were people who laughted when who ever starting talking about the automobile, the airplane, a computer. Are they laughing now?

The Foleo has real potential.....

Let's have this discussion this time next year. Then, well the facts to really discuss this topic.

TKOS
    Thank you!!!!
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    The OP was only stating his opinion, same as almost everyone else.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5. r0k
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Wish granted!
    -r0k

The 650 was a fine phone and was WAY more than a phone, but it's data rate was 1 bit per fortnight. The 755p was somewhat better until its instability chased me to ... wait for it... the BB 8830 From the BB 8830 I went to iPhone 4 and have never been happier. Farewell Palm. Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12