Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The guys in MoTR podcast spent the whole show talk about this device. You guys should listen to it. I am very impressed by the new interface and ergonomic features HTC has put into this gadget, which, they haven't been doing until very recently.

You can even type when standing up. This is the next evolution of the ultra mobile laptop. I think in the future, every one of this micro laptop/thin client would have a phone radio and dual OS build in.

BTW, does HTC HAVE TO give every one of their new products 10 million different codenames? So retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    The guys in MoTR podcast spent the whole show talk about this device. You guys should listen to it. I am very impressed by the new interface and ergonomic features HTC has put into this gadget, which, they haven't been doing until very recently.

You can even type when standing up. This is the next evolution of the ultra mobile laptop. I think in the future, every one of this micro laptop/thin client would have a phone radio and dual OS build in.

BTW, does HTC HAVE TO give every one of their new products 10 million different codenames? So retarded.
    If its the same MOTR I listen to, they were actually talking about the HTC Advantage, which is a pure WM device. The Advantage is large, but not quite as large as the Shift (5 inch vs 7 inch screen for example).

Surur
    Since the Shift runs window mobile does that mean that it will include the mobile office sweet with excel, word, and power point?
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    Since the Shift runs window mobile does that mean that it will include the mobile office sweet with excel, word, and power point?
    Yes.

Surur
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EdFrmBrighthand View Post
    The estimates I've seen for the Shift range between $1500 and $2000.

If that video is any example, the Shift is going to look much better on paper than it does in real life.

Did you see how painfully slow it was? I'm not just talking about coming out of hibernation. It's 850 MHz processor simply isn't up to the job of handling Windows Vista and the applications written for it.

And let's not forget the less than full size keyboard, and a battery life that's maybe half the Foleo's.

Don't get me wrong, the Shift looks like a cool device, but the Foleo has many advantages.
    Everything has a tradeoff. I think if someone has to run a full Windows's apps and still able to take it anywhere, then shift is a great device. All the other shortcomings can be ignored if the Window's apps is the most important thing.

Foleo on the other hand focus on a total different area. I think wanting to see Foleo to replace laptop is unrealistic. By the time Foleo can save as much data as a laptop or can run some of more typical laptop apps, laptops will be much more powerful and be able to do other things we have not imagined.
    The Shift is very nice device. If it is truly $1500 dollars at release then I can see myself getting this instead of Foleo. I am really skeptical that shift will be that cheap.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    That's considered cheap? Oh wow. Definitely out of my price range.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Frankly, to me that does seem cheap for a device that powerful and compact. To me with its dual functionality its like I bought a pocket pc and sub notebook.
    But, like I said I doubt very seriously it will be that cheap. When its all said and done, I will probably be investing in a Foleo due to its price point.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
  9. vta
    I watched a video demo of the unit and it does look very cool and mostly useable. I liked the easy switch from Vista to Mobile 6.

HOWEVER: There is no way I would be able to put up with what must felt like over a minute (or two) it took for it to wake from sleep to Vista.

Foleo instant on is looking better and better!

Adam
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Edit: Well... it would be ok as an ebook reader with only the 3 hour battery life. If the eReader can be installed on the pocketPC side that would make it excellent. I know eReader makes a version for that as well, but I'm unfamiliar with pocketpcs, and am not unsure if the pocketpc side the guy was showing was the full system and can use all the programs currently available for it.
    There are many eBook readers for Windows Mobile. The 2 readers I have on my Treo are MSReader and Mobipocket.
    Last edited by slbailey1; 08/16/2007 at 11:36 AM.
    So HTC Shift and Advantage are different? How much is the Advantage? It's more in Foleo's class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Edit: Well... it would be ok as an ebook reader with only the 3 hour battery life. If the eReader can be installed on the pocketPC side that would make it excellent. I know eReader makes a version for that as well, but I'm unfamiliar with pocketpcs, and am not unsure if the pocketpc side the guy was showing was the full system and can use all the programs currently available for it.
    There's certainly eReader for WM. It's pretty much like the Palm app except, at least when I used it last, the 'full-screen' mode really wasn't full-screen at all. IMO, the Shift has a screen and form factor (tablet) just about perfect for ebooks. Could be a bit heavy for extended reading though.
    They are both pretty expensive, but I was offered the T-Mobile Ameo for 250 on an 18 month contract, which I though was a pretty good deal. Im holding out for the HTC Omni though.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 08/16/2007 at 11:40 AM.
    The Foleo for me is a oh hum device; a new non-supported platform with limited current functionality; and at $500 it competes directly with low-end laptops. But what if it was a full on PPC device instead of a proprietary pseudo Linux OS?

EDIT: Foleo can be argued to be well supported.

The Shift has a PPC mode that beats the Foleo in almost every category; and a Vista mode that attempts to provide full OS functionality.

What's that? A slow single-core CPU? Only 1gig of RAM? No CD/DVD? A 60gig HD?

So for $1500 I get a small under powered convertible tablet (3-hour battery life) and PPC that absolutely rocks (7-DAY battery life, if the video can be believed).

For comparison, if you are willing to go a little larger, you can get a HP TX1000 convertible tablet PC running Vista Home Premium, 200gig HD, 2gig RAM, Dual Core AMD 2.16 CPU, DVD burner, web cam, HD audio, built-in mic, fingerprint reader, WiFi, 3-hour battery life, NO cell capabilities; all for $1300.

For me the Shift misses the mark. It's Vista capabilities do not even come close to what I would need on a day to day basis; and it's $1500 dollar price tag makes the PPC side too expensive.

What I really want is a sub-$500 Foleo device running Windows Mobile 6 (with built-in WiFi and tethering to cellphones for data).
    Last edited by dgoodisi; 08/17/2007 at 04:19 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12