Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So the linux world expo has come and gone has it not?

We still don't have an expected release date. I'm curious as to who started the rumor that the foleo would be released on August 22nd.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'm thinking that it was a target date, but as they got closer and closer to it, they realized they wouldn't make it. That's why officially it has always been "summer" so they'd have that leeway.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Brighthand is the source of the August 22 date. I won't tell you who told it to me, but they convinced me at the time that they knew what they were talking about.

I'm not sure what's happened since then, but it's likely as Gerorne said, Palm realized it wasn't going to make this target date and pushed the release back.

While I'd like the device sooner rether than later, I'd much prefer it to be fully cooked before hitting the market.
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.Brighthand.com
    News, Views, and "Hands-On" Reviews of Mobile Devices of All Types
    I would think that if they are giving it out to developers, then release to the general public can't be far behind. Developers/power users are much more likely to discover and complain about bugs than the typical user.

TKOS
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    But the 22nd is next Wednesday.

Who here thinks it will ship by then? Seems unlikely...
    Quote Originally Posted by eodell View Post
    But the 22nd is next Wednesday.

Who here thinks it will ship by then? Seems unlikely...
    I'm skeptical about the rumored ship date, but it is entirely likely. Here's a pic of a couple stacks Foleos in retail boxes:

http://www.intomobile.com/2007/08/07...packaging.html

It is very possible that Palm pulled these two stacks from a warehouse full of Foleos.

I would think that it is highly unlikely that Palm is going to change any of the hardware at this point. Therefore, anythign that could change is software related. If there aren't any glaring bugs, why not release it and continue developing? Palm already announced some kind of onboard update system. Any changes/fixes/enhancements could be easily pushed out to users.

TKOS
    Last edited by TheKingOfSting; 08/15/2007 at 11:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Interesting that all the boxes look recently opened, especially the 4th one down on the left, which looks crushed...wonder if last minute software updates were required.
    ugh. called the palm store here in sf. asked about the release date. "september or october..."
    apparently it got pushed back... =\
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Or October. Uh oh. October is definitely past the end of Summer. On the other hand, if there is stuff that has to be fixed before it's released, then that should be taken care of.

Of course I'd prefer if it was released by the end of Summer and ready to go.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    A friend of mine was hoping to score a Foleo this week. On his frequent business trips to Miami he'll sometimes go to the Pam retail store in/near the airport, and he's become buddies with one of the employees who told him a couple of weeks ago that their inventory system indicated an August 11 arrival. He added that Palm stores always get shipments of new products 1 to 2 weeks ahead of their sale date -- usually 2.

Well, the friend's last visit to the store was yesterday, and his guy told him that their status is "backordered," and that there's no new shipping information. So we're probably looking at mid-to-late September.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Or October. Uh oh. October is definitely past the end of Summer. On the other hand, if there is stuff that has to be fixed before it's released, then that should be taken care of.
    I agree that they should fix everthing before the product is released to the customers. But come on, they've been doing this for 3 to 5 years already. They should have fixed everything by now don't you think?

Give the still ongoing 700 saga that Palm has, I'm not surprised that they have to push the foleo back further.

Oh, and the Verizon 755p is rumoured to be pushed back to November (whoopeedoo ! )
    Since it sounds like there delaying Foleo almost two months. It is released in October what kind of improvements can we expect to see. Tabbed Browsing, flash video perhaps?
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    A friend of mine was hoping to score a Foleo this week. On his frequent business trips to Miami he'll sometimes go to the Pam retail store in/near the airport, and he's become buddies with one of the employees who told him a couple of weeks ago that their inventory system indicated an August 11 arrival. He added that Palm stores always get shipments of new products 1 to 2 weeks ahead of their sale date -- usually 2.

Well, the friend's last visit to the store was yesterday, and his guy told him that their status is "backordered," and that there's no new shipping information. So we're probably looking at mid-to-late September.
    Why is Palm late on shipping everything... I'm sitting here with a piece of junk Treo 700P and willing to pay full retail for a 755P, but can't because it wont' ship until November.

Now this news with the Foleo... weeks behind what was promised. October isn't summer....
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    Why is Palm late on shipping everything... I'm sitting here with a piece of junk Treo 700P and willing to pay full retail for a 755P, but can't because it wont' ship until November.

Now this news with the Foleo... weeks behind what was promised. October isn't summer....
    Since the 755p is already on Sprint could it be the hold up is on Verizon's part? Between their carrier testing/approval process as well as general scheduling for releases, it could be on their end.

As far as Foleo delay: if confirmed, it can only be to improve that which so many have complained about.

As much as I want one now, if they choose to refine some aspects and improve others, fine by me. It's their company and their product, they have to feel confident for its release.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post

Maybe they are waiting for the new management to announce the product after the shareholders meeting in September 12th.
    It's ironic how annoyed people get that Palm won't commit to a release date, when those same people are upset that a rumored release date (like Aug 22i slips.

Now Palm has said Summer all along. Gameboy- I hope your source is wrong, and that Palm can keep their commitment. On the the hand, I agree with what others have said: I'd rather see the device released fully baked.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I think the lack of any news about the Foleo points to a push back on this date. Despite what others have said, I think it is a good possibility the Foleo is not as fully "cooked" as some have suggested.

I would go so far as to guess that they are desperate to get some more third party solutions ready prior to public release.

Also equally important I think that Versamail 4 is fully cooked, which I expect it is not. With all the nonsense going on with the 700p ROMs, it just seems like they are having a tough time getting it right. I hope Marc from Chatter can save their butts on that one...
    It's definitely not going to debut Aug. 22. Palm has promised me a loaner unit so I can get a review out on the release date, and that hasn't happened yet.

I'm expecting mid-September, but we'll have to wait and see.
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.Brighthand.com
    News, Views, and "Hands-On" Reviews of Mobile Devices of All Types
    Just as long as I get mine at least a few days before November 1st - I so don't need a new toy to distract me from NaNoWriMo
    Apparently Foleo isn't going to see the light of day till late September or early October.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=201801848
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast