1.    #1  
    http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6844359014.html

Scroll down and look at the second picture... It says Logmein. Works quite nicely, there is a free version and works across firewalls with zero configuration.

Edit: Logmein works on macs too. https://secure.logmein.com/products/...lt.asp?lang=en

So you can access windows and mac machines from Foleo. Still no love for linux desktops. But I am sure we will find a way for that. VNC should work just fine on Foleo. Since its native linux. and Foleo should run native Linux Apps fine. text mode apps definately, cant say about GUI apps yet. Does the Foleo use X?
    Last edited by kunjan; 08/07/2007 at 12:09 AM.
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    It has Solitaire which seals the deal for me.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Now if we can get Logmein to put Hamachi on it I am all set to buy one.
  4.    #4  
    http://investor.palm.com/releaseDeta...leaseID=258673

Thats the Palm's Press Release on LogMeIn.
    -----------------
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Yeah! Go Palm! Go Palm!
    From what I've read Palm may actually grasp the powerful potential of the Foleo as a "thin-client." Wow.
    The Windriver Linux Platform may be a bigger and even more important announcement. Here come the 3rd party apps... Also, Windriver's currently using the 2.6.14 kernel. Hopefully we'll see that version in the Foleo sooooon.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Darn you Palm! The very single app that I love (remote desktop access) is going to be Foleo-compatible... this is bad news for my wallet. I hate you Foleo, I may even try you out :O
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    OK guys,

I was thinking about Foleo for a while and despite my dissapointment in the weeks after the announcement, I have had converted to Foleo

I have just purchase a DELL Desktop PC (pretty powerful, Intel Quad processor, powerfull video card etc.) to run my home media center and TV. I am planning to do the following set up at home.

1) Use my desktop as a primary computer and TV/Media center to run processor hungry applications
    2) Use Foleo for browsing and running application from the server through remote desktop - this should give me access to MS Word / Excel /Access, while using this thin slick device as a dumb terminal - all connected through my home wireless network.

I can see a hugh benefit of watching a TV and sitting and browsing/working on documents from the server on my lap. Firstly, this thing will not be as hot as my old laptop pc, it will be lighter and battery will last longer. To me that is the killer application of the Foleo.

I just hope that I will be able to setup everything nicely and it will work smoothly

Alll in all this should come at a price of a thin laptop - Dell PC for about 1300 + 500 for Foleo = 1800. At the same time I will have a top of the line media center at home for movie/TV watching and playing computer games.

What do you think? Possible?
    Sounds more than possible. In fact, I intend to do more or less the same thing. I use a Squeezebox to connect my stereo to my computer running Slimserver. In a pinch I can control it from my Treo, but it's far from great due to the small screen. One of the uses I would find handy would be to control Slimserver from the couch in my living room, and the RDP client just announced should do the trick!
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Log me in is attractive, but it links to one computer only. We have Windows Server with Remote Terminal Services and can support many simultaneous users with one computer. I kind of cringe at the thought of putting a bunch of machines back into my computer room so that each user may log in to each individual computer. (I had this back when PC Anywhere was king and we were running Novell.) I still hope for an actual RDP experience!. I'll also be likely to get a foleo just for myself to try the log me in app...
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Remember LogMeIn enables you to remotely view and control your desktop as if you were there. However as jazzdoc inferred, it is not technically an RDP client. RDP is a microsoft protocol that provides direct machine to machine control without needing a 3rd party service or subscription. For home/personal use GoToMyPC, LogMeIn Free(included with the Foleo) or similar service should be just fine; but, remember they are 3rd party services. They're very good services I might add - easy to setup and easy to use.
    JazzDoc, there are IT support versions and dynamic vpn offerings by the same people as well.
    It would be interesting to know if LogMeIn Pro on the Foleo would provide all it's services such as automatic File & Folder sync. With PTunes on board you could keep your music folders autosync'd. Now all we would need tcmp for video and we'll be set with mobile media.
    Hmm interesting. I wonder if somebody would develop dircet Foleo-PC RDP software. That would be sweet!!

I will have a Vista Premium on my desktop, so I am not sure if that will complicate anything.

I have done little research and and found that there is a hack that should enable concurrent logins. http://www.missingremote.com/index.p...220&Itemid=224

Hopefully I would be able to access my Desktop with Foleo, while watching movies on the Media Center.

What do you think?
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Xmarf02, you should be able to do it when we get a real RDP client running on the Foleo. The protocol is native to the Terminal Services standard on Win PC's. Vista Premium may support two concurrent sessions at the same time. (By default the servers do.) That would allow you to be watching movies on the local console and remotely running an app on that same PC from the Foleo. LogMeIn would only give you the local console session.
    BTW there are a bunch of Terminal Server clients out there. If momentum continues to grow, you better believe we'll see one for the Foleo sooner rather than later.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Who said you couldn't print using a Foleo???? If your PC can print, so can your Foleo. Just remote into the PC and print from there. Suppose the file is on your foleo. Transfer/sync the file with your PC and then print it.
    Okay some of you already figured this out. For me it was a bit of an epiphany.

Dear Palm, our sweet little Foleo, is beginning to blossom right before our eyes. One day soon, all the boys will want to go out with her and all the girls will want to show her off with their friends.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    If Logmein ports Hamachi it will allow VPN style access for lots of different programs as you can then securely share drives. Then use VNC or a Remote Desktop to control the pc when needed.
    Marty
    Handspring Visor -> Handspring Treo 180 That stated it would have Wi-Fi -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650->Treo 700P ->Centro->Pre
    Does anybody know if you would be able to run you tube and use firefox or explorer with tabbed browsing though logmein on the foleo?
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    Does anybody know if you would be able to run you tube and use firefox or explorer with tabbed browsing though logmein on the foleo?
    You should be able to 'run' anything the host machine can run, since you are only viewing it really on the Foleo.
    If that is true and foleo can view video and tabbed brows through a host computer. I wonder why palm isn't playing that up more.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    If that is true and foleo can view video and tabbed brows through a host computer. I wonder why palm isn't playing that up more.
    Yeah, if you like your video at 1 frame per second.

It is not possible to do this with remote desktop.
    -----------------
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    That and it's not clear yet if LogMeIn will stream the host PC's audio to the Foleo. (I asked.) So, 1 frame per second with no audio maybe...that's called a slideshow, and Foleo can do those just fine!