Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sorry for the long first post. Main questions are in bold, below:

I'm not asking, so much, if you think it's a sound concept or execution or first iteration or any of that. I just wonder if you find yourself *trying* to like it. Y'know what I mean?

That's what keeps happening to me. Even after I'm terribly disappointed with whatever bit of Foleo news I stumble upon, I still keep hoping that it turns out to be wrong or that some other element will make up for it.

I... care. I'm staying involved instead of just walking away.

Anyone else silently rooting for this device, despite how much you think it is or is not ready-for-prime-time?

If I had to guess, I'd say my continued interest and occasional optimism are due to the initial impressions many of us got about the kind of value this product would bring to Treo-users, in-particular. I thought it would seamlessly, continuously, and completely merge with my Treo - becoming an extension of it, requiring no syncing or purchasing of additional (Linux-versions of) programs.

Maybe that's my own fault, but what's done is done. I just wanted to know if anyone else felt similarly. (Is anyone actually hoping this device will fail... or worse, that Palm ultimately will?)
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I honestly don't care...I would rather Palm put more attention toward their already faulty Treo lineup. They Foleoed time that could have went toward getting their next gen OS out...now we have to wait until 2008. What use is having the Foleo if people can't wait any longer for a functional device and are planning to jump ship IMHO? Take care of the Treo first and bring back its luster then release the Foleo afterwards...$$$.
    at&t iPhone3G
    If they wait to release the Foleo too long, they will be late to the market AGAIN! Small watered down laptops are already coming out.

Let's face it, Palm is often too little, too late. We were due a new Palm OS a while ago, they're dragging their feet for whatever reason. I'd like to see SOMETHING make a big hit again over at Palm. Not sure if the Foleo as it looks now will do it, though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I hope the foleo fails. That way, they will realize that the only successful product line they have is the Treo. Then maybe they'll start innovating again (the Treo line).
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If they wait to release the Foleo too long, they will be late to the market AGAIN! Small watered down laptops are already coming out.

Let's face it, Palm is often too little, too late. We were due a new Palm OS a while ago, they're dragging their feet for whatever reason. I'd like to see SOMETHING make a big hit again over at Palm. Not sure if the Foleo as it looks now will do it, though.
    Does that mean that you, like IsLNdbOi, hope it fails... maybe so Palm will focus on the Treo more?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I am hoping Foleo surprises us all as a success. A lot will depend on 3rd party development. I kind of look at it like a blank canvas - it has a ton of potential if the right people get their hands on it. As a concept, I could go for it.

Additionally, if you are a Treo fan, I would think you want the Foleo to succeed. If it fails, that won't bode well for the overall success of Palm, and therefore the Treo.
    Last edited by MarkY; 08/02/2007 at 05:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    I hope the foleo fails. That way, they will realize that the only successful product line they have is the Treo. Then maybe they'll start innovating again (the Treo line).
    I'm not at all sure how one entails the other. Presumably the "teams" working on the Treos and the Foleo are quite different and I can't see why they can't do both at the same time? But if the Foleo fails, there's no reason to think that makes the Treo any better.

Furthermore, I would think their big goal is what is discussed here, for both devices.

That seems to make a lot of sense. In turn, they would now have a Treo and a Foleo that when combined, offer nothing else that is on the market. I guess what I'm saying is I hope the Foleo is a success and POSII integrates with it in a way never seen before.

As far as POSII being late...I still have yet to see any ALP devices even being close to release either. I'm not sure if that says something about both companies or just Access

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    I want it to succeed for both nostalgic reasons and for practical business reasons. Business wise, all my users pc's basically act as thin clients anyway. Very little is even on the local pc's. And I and every other mobile exec have $2,400-$2,800 ultraportable laptops. I would love to see such a small, simple device become available that could be deployed to our sales people. The Foleo is "almost" there.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
  9. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I hope it does well. I could see every blogger using one. With just a couple of tools (already discussed at length on these boards), It would be awesome, not perfect, (there is no such thing in a device) just awesome. Many, many of the tools I use are on the web. as long as those tools work in opera, (we NEED java) I would be set.

My big question is this: Can anyone who has handled one of these things comment on the connecting experience? What I mean is, does it hop right on a previously connected wifi network? If it has successfully paired with a treo, does it automatically start with DUN?

How long after you turn on the Foleo with the inatant-on button can you start typing that Google search?
    Palm 5000 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony Clie T665 + Tmoble SIdekick > Sony TG50 (+Sidekick) > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > PPC-6700 > Treo 700wx
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I want it to succeed as I think the concept is good and it meets exactly my needs.
    That is so long as it:
    a) Works with my BB seamlessly
    b) Has the software installed out of the box which it should. i.e. PIM, Media Player, etc
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    No I hope it succeeds, otherwise Palm is in trouble. And the Treo will NOT get updated due to the losses suffered by a failed Foleo. Palm cannot take all these hits. My fear is this will be another mediocre performing product, though. Palm just doesn't get it that they can't continue to release what was last year's technology. I've seen they want to use B class wifi instead of G. This is the same thing they did with bluetooth on the Treo. 1.2when 2.0 was the new standard.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    No I hope it succeeds, otherwise Palm is in trouble. And the Treo will NOT get updated due to the losses suffered by a failed Foleo. Palm cannot take all these hits. My fear is this will be another mediocre performing product, though. Palm just doesn't get it that they can't continue to release what was last year's technology. I've seen they want to use B class wifi instead of G. This is the same thing they did with bluetooth on the Treo. 1.2when 2.0 was the new standard.
    Not to get off topic to far, but what is the gain in going with Wifi G? How many people have access to a a 54mb/sec WAN pipe? A 10mb/sec wireless connection (i.e., Wifi B) is MORE than enough bandwidth to handle just about any broadband connection out there. Having a faster WiFi connection won't gain the Foleo anything. Out of the box, it can't connect to a typical office network, so transferring files is out.

I think the biggest disconnect that people are having here is that the Foleo IS NOT A LAPTOP. By design it is a device meant to enhance ones ability to communicate, thus the concentration on email and web browsing. For these purpose, Wifi B is more than adequate.

TKOS
    I hope the Foleo is a success in and of itself, without a need to turn it into a pseudo laptop.

TKOS
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Why Palm chose 802.11b vs. 802.11g?
    #1. Lower power consumption
    #2. If it's wifi; old or new, access point, bridge, router or other device, it supports b.
    #3. See TheKingOfSting's quote related to bandwidth use.
    - Price is probably somewhere in the list too.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    It's like asking me if I want Paris Hilton to be a good singer. i know for a fact that she won't be a good singer/Foleo won't be a success so what does it matter what I think.

But let's say i am god/Morgan Freeman and I have the power to make the Foleo a success....no I would not want the Foleo to be a success. The reason being, its a very lazily engineered device with so many essential application missing, it doesn't desert a success.

If Foloe wants to build up its own "street cred" it need to have at least as much 3rd party support as the Nokia n800 PLUS a decent office word processor.
    Last edited by whatever7; 08/02/2007 at 09:06 PM.
    I want it succeed. I'm even considering buying one when I don't need it.
    How about both b/g support then? Doesn't connect to office network, another hit against it IMO. Palm wants people to use this instead of dragging around a big laptop, right?

It is my hope that the Foleo should succeed. The more I think about it, the more innovative the whole concept appears to be.
    How about both b/g support then? Doesn't connect to office network, another hit against it IMO. Palm wants people to use this instead of dragging around a big laptop, right?
    You are thinking about this device all wrong. If you are at the office, why would you be on a laptop? I rarely get on my laptop at the office, nor do most people unless they are using their laptop as a workstation. Instead, I work at my highend worstation with dual 22" widescreen LCDs. 44 inches of realestate and a 3.2 ghz dual core CPU with 2GB or RAM can't be matched by any laptop.

However, when I'm at home or on the road 90% of what I do is check my email and surf the net via my wireless connection at home or via tethering to my Treo. On occasion, I need access to some of my highend apps that require computing horsepower, but this is rare. Mostly I just need a web/email/MS office client. Thie Foleo is perfect for this. I push one button and instantly, I'm online and ready to go.

Having all of this for $500 is well worth the money.

TKOS
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Yes I want this to succeed. I'll make use of what it offers, but I'm also getting it as support for a follow up device, which I expect to do even more, or do what it started even better, however that turns out.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast