Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I surely want Foleo to succeed, I won't be buying one but Palm may have their faults but they have the idea better than anyone else does. If we get more money pumping through their blood we can get Treos out of a 7 year Beta test.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by leonwangls View Post
    it should not be our concern whether palm succeed with the foleo. as a consumer, i look for quality, reliabilty, cost. if foleo cannot match the competition, thats just too bad. Right now, asus eee would be the better choice.
    You haven't really given us a reason why we shouldn't care about Foleo's or Palm's success. You just say it is so.

Your opinions are fine... for you, but they carry little weight in a vacuum. If you're going to tell us what we should or shouldn't be concerned with, at least share your reasons for feeling that way.

And no, the crappily-designed and assembled EEE is not a good Foleo alternative. You make me wonder if you've even seen it (in photos, I mean). It looks like it'd break if we looked at it too hard, so try not to look directly at it.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  3.    #63  
    Copied/pasted from another thread:

"Oh yeah, and my battery life, before establishing this connection, was 7 hours and 41 minutes (99% remaining) - with Bluetooth and wireless on (but not active). THAT's a big reason why I went for a Sony TX instead of a Foleo - battery life is comparable if not superior on the SONY. Now that I'm DUN'g, battery life is at 6 hours and 22 minutes (97% remaining)."

Lovely.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    You haven't really given us a reason why we shouldn't care about Foleo's or Palm's success. You just say it is so.

Your opinions are fine... for you, but they carry little weight in a vacuum. If you're going to tell us what we should or shouldn't be concerned with, at least share your reasons for feeling that way.

And no, the crappily-designed and assembled EEE is not a good Foleo alternative. You make me wonder if you've even seen it (in photos, I mean). It looks like it'd break if we looked at it too hard, so try not to look directly at it.
    I think he is saying that it's up to Palm to make sure it's products succeed on their own merit, not our loyalty. We as consumers should only be looking at what's best for US.

That's what I think he meant.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think he is saying that it's up to Palm to make sure it's products succeed on their own merit, not our loyalty. We as consumers should only be looking at what's best for US.

That's what I think he meant.
    Could be that or any number of things. I look forward to finding out which it is.

If that is what the poster meant, this isn't a thread about whether we should buy the Foleo for Palm's sake instead of our own (as evidenced by my mental, but not financial, support of the Foleo). It's more or less a thread about whether we're rooting for success from this device, specifically, or Palm, in general.

Personally, I'm not going the way of the Foleo, but I'd love for it to make a serious mark the way Treo's seem to have done. I've been incredibly surprised at how very many Treo's I continue to see on a regular basis, these days.

Imagine seeing that many Foleo's in your own area, being used by the young and the old.

I did not give any personal reason why the foleo should succeed or fail bcos, it is not my business. I do not owe any royalty to palm just bcos they decided to produce a laptop.( if it looks like a laptop, perform like a laptop, its a laptop )

My concern is quality, reliability, cost and performance.

I am only responsible to myself regarding how i spend my money wisely.

How can it "it'd break if we looked at it too hard," ?

And Yes, I have seen it
  7.    #67  
    I did not give any personal reason why the foleo should succeed or fail bcos, it is not my business.
    Not really what I meant, but nevermind. You did answer the main question: you don't care whether the device succeeds or fails. Thanks for your response.

I do not owe any royalty to palm just bcos they decided to produce a laptop.( if it looks like a laptop, perform like a laptop, its a laptop )

My concern is quality, reliability, cost and performance.

I am only responsible to myself regarding how i spend my money wisely.

How can it "it'd break if we looked at it too hard," ?

And Yes, I have seen it
    The picture I'd seen before was unimpressive. This video suggests a better build.

I'm still leery, but I have to admit it looks less like the spit, glue, and rubber band-manufactured device from before. Thanks for the link.
  8.    #68  
    EDIT: It seems the Sony TX has a very-close-to-"instant on" feature that starts and stops faster than any laptop I've ever used. I close the lid and it goes to sleep (kinda like a Foleo, but it's about 8 seconds instead of one) and when I turn it back on, the screen comes up IMMEDIATELY.
    Yeah, same with my TZ. With its SSD it's pretty close to instant on and off as well.
    ...as a consumer, i look for quality, reliabilty, cost...
    And yet, you bought a Palm?

Quality, reliability and competitive pricing have not been words generally used to describe Palm products in quite some time - and especially when it comes to the Treo. Once a fairly reliable little workhorse and the defacto PDA for business types, Palm products are suffering from a considerable lack of commitment from the manufacturer for both the hardware and software - and it now lags behind MS Mobile, RIM and Symbian products.

If it wasn't for the OS's enthusiasts, Palm probably would have kacked shortly after buying Handspring.....

Sad really.
    EDIT: It seems the Sony TX has a very-close-to-"instant on" feature that starts and stops faster than any laptop I've ever used. I close the lid and it goes to sleep (kinda like a Foleo, but it's about 8 seconds instead of one) and when I turn it back on, the screen comes up IMMEDIATELY.
    That's a bad sign for Palm. Looks like they did NOT necessarily invent "instant on" like some here thought. The Foleo may just start up faster due to less "baggage" than a full laptop has to start up. But it sounds like Sony may have beat them to it, and with a more full featured laptop.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    But they also cost between two to three-thousand dollars right? That's a huge leap in price. I don't think that'd hurt Palm all that much.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Palm still can't claim they cornered "instant on", if that's true what the other 2 posters said. Regardless of the cost of the Sonys. One of the posters said they got a refurbished one for about $1100, from what I remember.

Engadget's letter to Palm implies they think the Foleo is a waste of resources, BTW. Stop wasting money on the Foleo - We all know this isn't going anywhere. And even if it does do alright -- and let's be real, it's never going to do better than alright -- it's really just a distraction from the main business you're already neglecting. Besides, how many Treo companions do you expect to sell if the Treo itself isn't up to snuff? The Foleo is not the way to make the core product better.

I don't know. I think it depends on what Palm itself makes of the Foleo. So far, they still haven't told the general public how great the upcoming product is. iPhone press is still appearing however. Palm needs to learn a bit about promotion from Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by MleB View Post
    And yet, you bought a Palm?

Quality, reliability and competitive pricing have not been words generally used to describe Palm products in quite some time - and especially when it comes to the Treo. Once a fairly reliable little workhorse and the defacto PDA for business types, Palm products are suffering from a considerable lack of commitment from the manufacturer for both the hardware and software - and it now lags behind MS Mobile, RIM and Symbian products.

If it wasn't for the OS's enthusiasts, Palm probably would have kacked shortly after buying Handspring.....

Sad really.
    Yes really bad now. I bought the 650 when it was being phased out. The quality was very good. no bugs at all.

then thinking that palm could produce good phone , i bought the 680. it was quite a disappointment. Palm has to prove to me that they can produced good product now.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    But they also cost between two to three-thousand dollars right? That's a huge leap in price. I don't think that'd hurt Palm all that much.
    My TX was refurbished. Priced at $1599 before it was discounted 15% (all laptops in the store were/are 15%), discounted, again, for being the floor model, and discounted, yet again, for having a minor defect.

I believe that, in the end, it cost between $1000 and $1100 after taxes.

A Sony store (y'know, the kind that says "SONY" in big letters, but sells electronics from various manufacturers) in Orlando claimed to have had 11-inch Sony's (he didn't specify if they were TX's or TZ's) for $1399 just a week, ago. He said they've since sold out, but if and when they get more, they'll be that price.
    Correct me if I'm wrong:

Doesn't every MS laptop do this? My old ASUS has Sleep and Hibernate (part of XP, extended to Vista).

Sleep: just close the lid, OS suspends, saved to RAM (uses low amount of power to maintain). Open the lid and the OS pops back on.

Hibernate: OS saves to the HDD. No energy is used, but much longer re-start.

If the devices is in Sleep and the battery runs low (this will happen after a couple of hours, depending on depletion) the device wakes up and hibernates.

So I don't see how the Sony situation is any different from what has been on the market for years now.

The point of the Foleo: only instant on: no sleep/hibernate distinction, it's all instant and still great battery life (claimed).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong
    The point is that some laptops give very nearly equal "convenience" (weight, battery length, speed of switching on/off), for very little extra cost, but offer hugely more power and security.

There's a niche for the Foleo, but it's damned small.

I rather Palm used their smart people to work on a Palm/Linux Treo, with a market in the millions, rather than Foleo, with one in the tens of thousands.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong:

Doesn't every MS laptop do this? My old ASUS has Sleep and Hibernate (part of XP, extended to Vista).

Sleep: just close the lid, OS suspends, saved to RAM (uses low amount of power to maintain). Open the lid and the OS pops back on.

Hibernate: OS saves to the HDD. No energy is used, but much longer re-start.

If the devices is in Sleep and the battery runs low (this will happen after a couple of hours, depending on depletion) the device wakes up and hibernates.

So I don't see how the Sony situation is any different from what has been on the market for years now.

The point of the Foleo: only instant on: no sleep/hibernate distinction, it's all instant and still great battery life (claimed).
    Tirk's response pretty much nails it.

I've had Windows laptops before. Most had hibernation and stand-by modes. Maybe this sleep mode is just a new name for stand-by, but I thought stand-by ate up more battery power and would end with a touch of the keyboard, mouse, or touchpad.

In any case, I was mainly mentioning the Foleo-like qualities of this Vaio, whether they're the first to offer these qualities, I couldn't say.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234