Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    If this is really targeted to businesses, Palm doesn't need to convince a lot of people, just a few people with a lot of employees. There was a guy yesterday who was at the booth checking it out, and he said he was going to buy one hundred of them for his support staff that goes out to customers houses. He said that instant on was perfect for them because someone's right there watching them, who might be impatient already because they needed someone to go out there and fix whatever it was that broke (He didn't exactly say what his business was.)

If Palm really can market it properly to those people, that could be quite a lot of sales. Maybe they're waiting on the next Foleo to make the big consumer push.

And I really do hope that it comes out the 22nd. School starts up again at the end of the month. I'll be a walking "Sneak Peek" by taking it to all my classes and meetings.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'd wonder how much that'd impact data plans. I also wonder what happens when you don't have a decent signal or a phone call comes in.
    A simple disconnect and reconnect if you're not connected using Wifi or the 750 in an HSDPA area. Otherwise, you just keep working. If you're working on the locally on the Foleo only, it wouldn't matter what was going on with the phone/Treo.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    A simple disconnect and reconnect if you're not connected using Wifi or the 750 in an HSDPA area. Otherwise, you just keep working. If you're working on the locally on the Foleo only, it wouldn't matter what was going on with the phone/Treo.
    I'm not sure how "simple" that would be in drier signal areas. It seems like it'd be a real pain to not have (consistent) access to applications because you don't have (consistent) internet access.

I'm still curious about the effect on data plans.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Data Plans - A user would still be bound by their carriers terms for DUN use. How much they monitor that stuff, who knows.

Weak signal areas - If you need connectivity in a weak coverage area, Foleo or not, a cell amplifier/booster may be in order. We've seen great success lately with these and are running sattelite offices using a single sprint card (evdo rev.a w/max performance.) There are units for autos as well. Otherwise, if your concern is a weak signal during general (non-automobile) travel or a regular fixed location (home), then you still have local foleo apps until you are in a stronger signal area.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    Data Plans - A user would still be bound by their carriers terms for DUN use. How much they monitor that stuff, who knows.

Weak signal areas - If you need connectivity in a weak coverage area, Foleo or not, a cell amplifier/booster may be in order. We've seen great success lately with these and are running sattelite offices using a single sprint card (evdo rev.a w/max performance.) There are units for autos as well. Otherwise, if your concern is a weak signal during general (non-automobile) travel or a regular fixed location (home), then you still have local foleo apps until you are in a stronger signal area.
    Sounds a lot like my issues with iPhone. I just want to have my applications whenever and wherever.

But change can be good. Maybe this'll be an example of that.
    Gerome, even RIM and Apple finally decided mass marketing was the way to bigger profits. Unless they get the government as a customer and/or LOTS of businesses, I wonder what kind of profit they'll reap. Palm may not be able to afford to get speculative any longer. It needs to be a hit or not.

And I wonder if that guy won't get some kind of discount for ordering 100, $60,000 is a tidy sum.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    So were there any buyers authorized from Fortune 500 companies at any of the Foleo events? That would be a good start IMO!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'm not sure how "simple" that would be in drier signal areas. It seems like it'd be a real pain to not have (consistent) access to applications because you don't have (consistent) internet access.

I'm still curious about the effect on data plans.
    I tether on my 700wx often at 0 or 1 bars and still peak at 1.2mbps on Ev. I'm not concerned about the signal in drier areas, I live in one.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Do I want the Foleo is succeed? The answer here has to be "Yes", but firm in the knowledge that Palm will somehow screw up the end result - making end user assumptions without asking end users, offering crappy build quality, including software that is obsolete and won't communicate properly with desktop OSs or it will fail to do what it is advertised as being capable of (the usual litany of problems with Palm these days) - all mean that the true answer is "A Modified Yes".

Instant start notebook-style (and sized) PDAs have been tried in the past and failed for a variety of reasons. And the Folio appears to have learned nothing from that - essentially being a more awkward sized version of a TX, the included keyboard replacing a UWK and adding to the size, while the promotion for the Foleo seems to suggest it is a companion for the Treo, relying on it rather than being a stand-alone product.

Now if the Folio was about the size of a paperback (7 x 4 x 3/4) for better portability, had has means of communicating with other devices over and above bluetooth and USB (a hotsync cable leaps immediately to mind), full wireless capabilities, ran recent (and compatible) software and, in general, did more (or, at least, better) than was already out there from themselves and, say, HTC and offered it all for a realistic (bearing in mind it'll be built in China running Linux) price - then maybe they would have my attention.

For now, its a just a vapourware novelty device.

Palm used to be the defacto PDA for business types and when the Treo (albeit from Handspring) came out, it set the bar as far as smartphones were concerned. Now they are so busy being a hardware provider to wireless companies, they are lagging in the development of their hardware and software and are the alsorans behind Microsoft, RIM, Symbian, and soon - heaven help us - Apple.

They really need to do a lot better.
    Last edited by MleB; 08/14/2007 at 10:15 AM.
  10.    #50  
    As I've said, I definitely want the Foleo to succeed, but the chances that I'd be an earl adopter just dropped, quite dramatically. Why?

I bought a Sony TX laptop model, yesterday. It's a refurb and was on-sale, so the price, before extras, was just over $1000. I got it from a Sony store, so I got a warranty and then some.

Palm Foleo:
    * instant on
    * 2.5 lbs.
    * 5 hr battery
    * Bluetooth & wi-fi
    * 10 in. screen
    * 128 MB - storage
    * streamlined functionality (Linux)
    * little/no heat output
    * DUN
    * $600 ($100 MIR)

Sony TX laptop:

* hibernation/stand-by, not instant on
    * 2.8 lbs.
    * 4-11 hr battery
    * Bluetooth & wi-fi
    * 11.x in. screen
    * 80 GB - storage
    * full pc functionality (Vista)
    * little heat output
    * DUN
    * $1000+

Familiarity, functionality, and storage put the Sony in the lead, for me. Many Foleo advantages with less need for third-party apps.

We'll see how it works out.

EDIT: It seems the Sony TX has a very-close-to-"instant on" feature that starts and stops faster than any laptop I've ever used. I close the lid and it goes to sleep (kinda like a Foleo, but it's about 8 seconds instead of one) and when I turn it back on, the screen comes up IMMEDIATELY.
    Last edited by west3man; 08/24/2007 at 07:00 AM.
    Great choice on the TX west3man. If it weren't for the slow 4200rpm hard drive, I'd still have my TXN29N. I just got my new TZ this week from Dynamism and it's great.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Great choice on the TX west3man. If it weren't for the slow 4200rpm hard drive, I'd still have my TXN29N. I just got my new TZ this week from Dynamism and it's great.
    My girlfriend has growing interest in the TZ line. I hope it continues to work out for you.

Whenever I think of the TX's (or similar laptop's) potential shortcomings, I compare what it can do to what the Foleo apparently can('t). It's been less than 24 hours but I'm pretty pleased with what I expect to a high bang:buck ratio.

I think that, even if Foleo isn't the right product for me, it has the potential to push manufacturers in a positive direction. Plus, I just like seeing Palm succeed.
    Last edited by west3man; 08/19/2007 at 08:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Anyone else silently rooting for this device, despite how much you think it is or is not ready-for-prime-time?

(Is anyone actually hoping this device will fail... or worse, that Palm ultimately will?)

I'm sort of conflicted.

What I really want is a better convergent device to replace my 680 in about a years time: a Palm/Linux 3G yada yada phone. The Foleo is a distraction, one step forward (Linux), two steps back (not convergent, unlikely to be more than a niche product). If it wasn't there, I think my needs would probably be addressed faster, but if it now fails, it will probably delay things even more.

However, I don't actually expect Foleo to either fail or succeed, I confidently predict we will be debating which it has done for ages!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    As I've said, I definitely want the Foleo to succeed, but the chances that I'd be an earl adopter just dropped, quite dramatically. Why?
    IMO, Sony makes the best notebooks out there. You won't be disappointed in your purchase. I loved my previous Sony and am bummed I went with a Dell instead. My new Dell is a very nice machine, but there is just something about the Sony... A very polished machine.

With that said, I think you are comparing the wrong things between the Foleo and your notebook. What if you don't need a full blown windows machine all of the time? Do you really need all of this mobile horsepower and software at your finger tips if you rarely use all of it?

I find that most of what I use my notebook for (90%+) is checking email, browsing the web, chatting IM with my wife when she is at work and I'm at home, and working with MS Office documents. When I need to get into some of my design software or the like, I go for my desktop workstation because I want my dual 22" LCDs. I am spoiled by the 44" of realestate I have on my desktop to really get work done. I almost refuse to work in my design apps on my notebook simply because the notebooks screen is too small to get any real work done. Actually, I can work with my design software on my notebook, it's just irritating.

How many other people out there operate in this fashion? I would wager quite a few.... Yes, there are people who use their notebooks for everything, but most people do not.

TKOS
  15.    #55  
    I typed quite a bit in-response to this post, but it seems to have disappeared.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    IMO, Sony makes the best notebooks out there. You won't be disappointed in your purchase. I loved my previous Sony and am bummed I went with a Dell instead. My new Dell is a very nice machine, but there is just something about the Sony... A very polished machine.

With that said, I think you are comparing the wrong things between the Foleo and your notebook. What if you don't need a full blown windows machine all of the time? Do you really need all of this mobile horsepower and software at your finger tips if you rarely use all of it?

I find that most of what I use my notebook for (90%+) is checking email, browsing the web, chatting IM with my wife when she is at work and I'm at home, and working with MS Office documents. When I need to get into some of my design software or the like, I go for my desktop workstation because I want my dual 22" LCDs. I am spoiled by the 44" of realestate I have on my desktop to really get work done. I almost refuse to work in my design apps on my notebook simply because the notebooks screen is too small to get any real work done. Actually, I can work with my design software on my notebook, it's just irritating.

How many other people out there operate in this fashion? I would wager quite a few.... Yes, there are people who use their notebooks for everything, but most people do not.

TKOS
    It's good to hear that Sony makes the best notebooks. Thanks.

As far as the rest, I think you make an interesting point about needing less than is available to you, but what about when you need more than is available? I'd rather not be in a position where I need a laptop, but only have a Foleo.

My post wasn't about "most people." It was just about me.

I use those core functions, like a lot of people, but I also use and expect to use programs that aren't likely to be available on Linux - not to mention my reluctance to buy duplicate copies of programs I already own, just to run them on the Foleo. I use and expect to use them often enough that it's worth it, to me.

Besides, more third-party apps and added storage make the Foleo sound (and cost) more and more like what it reportedly is not meant to be - a laptop replacement.

Like I said, though, we'll see how it all goes. I eventually decided that reports of Foleo's symbiosis with Treo's was somewhat less than I expected - and not much better than with a laptop. Ben's very recent comments about how Foleo-DUN sound very promising, but I'm still pleased with my decision.
  16. vrf
    The Foleo will be my fourth solid-state, instant-on machine. Those two features alone have the potential to change your life.

Got 7 minutes while waiting for your Starbucks? Rattle off that email you never got to at the office.

Got 17 minutes waiting for your daughter to finish soccer practice? Bang out the last page of that chapter you've been meaning to finish.

These machines create time for you to work, moments when you wouldn't have even considered writing an email or working on your novel. You know, the moments you usually spend playing Bejewled on your Treo.

The Foleo does 100% of what I want in a portable computer. I'll run Maya and Photoshop on my home workstation, thank you very much.

I met a guy in a coffee shop the other day who was really proud of the fact that his laptop had a DVD burner. I asked him how often he needed to burn a DVD while out and about. "Well, I keep the blank DVDs at home," he said.

I was only in the coffee shop for a few minutes. Turned off my AlphaSmart Dana with the push of a button and tossed it in my bag. Didn't even have to save. The other guy hadn't started his system up yet. Apparently he just took it out to show it off.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by vrf View Post
    The Foleo will be my fourth solid-state, instant-on machine. Those two features alone have the potential to change your life.

Got 7 minutes while waiting for your Starbucks? Rattle off that email you never got to at the office.

Got 17 minutes waiting for your daughter to finish soccer practice? Bang out the last page of that chapter you've been meaning to finish.

These machines create time for you to work, moments when you wouldn't have even considered writing an email or working on your novel. You know, the moments you usually spend playing Bejewled on your Treo.

The Foleo does 100% of what I want in a portable computer. I'll run Maya and Photoshop on my home workstation, thank you very much.

I met a guy in a coffee shop the other day who was really proud of the fact that his laptop had a DVD burner. I asked him how often he needed to burn a DVD while out and about. "Well, I keep the blank DVDs at home," he said.

I was only in the coffee shop for a few minutes. Turned off my AlphaSmart Dana with the push of a button and tossed it in my bag. Didn't even have to save. The other guy hadn't started his system up yet. Apparently he just took it out to show it off.
    What advantages does the Foleo have over your existing solid-state, instant-on device(s)?
  18. vrf
    What advantages does the Foleo have over your existing solid-state, instant-on device(s)?
    The Foleo's display is much better than my Dana, and it has more horsepower. (Dana wins in battery life, though. 25 hours.)

Keyboard and display of the Foleo are better than the MobilePro.

But yeah, there's probably some plain ol' gadget lust mixed in there as well...
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by vrf View Post
    The Foleo's display is much better than my Dana, and it has more horsepower. (Dana wins in battery life, though. 25 hours.)

Keyboard and display of the Foleo are better than the MobilePro.

But yeah, there's probably some plain ol' gadget lust mixed in there as well...
    Ha! I can't blame you for that.

I hope it works out for you.
    it should not be our concern whether palm succeed with the foleo. as a consumer, i look for quality, reliabilty, cost. if foleo cannot match the competition, thats just too bad. Right now, asus eee would be the better choice.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast