Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 78
  1. #21  
    I'm surely want Foleo success.. not because Palm brand, but because it is the great idea as a new kind of device.

    And I hope this Foleo idea can make other hardware developer make same kind of device, and off course with low price compared to regular Laptop.

    As end user, we have lots of benefit.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    You are thinking about this device all wrong. If you are at the office, why would you be on a laptop? I rarely get on my laptop at the office, nor do most people unless they are using their laptop as a workstation. Instead, I work at my highend worstation with dual 22" widescreen LCDs. 44 inches of realestate and a 3.2 ghz dual core CPU with 2GB or RAM can't be matched by any laptop.

    However, when I'm at home or on the road 90% of what I do is check my email and surf the net via my wireless connection at home or via tethering to my Treo. On occasion, I need access to some of my highend apps that require computing horsepower, but this is rare. Mostly I just need a web/email/MS office client. Thie Foleo is perfect for this. I push one button and instantly, I'm online and ready to go.

    Having all of this for $500 is well worth the money.

    TKOS
    You guessed it! My laptop is my workstation. If Foleo can't fill in for it sufficiently, I cannot use it on a regular basis. For me $500-$600 is too much for watered down part-time usage.

    However, those thrid party apps you're supposed to be able to add ARE turning the Foleo into a watered down laptop for basic business usage. As much as people try to dodge the laptop comparison, it isn't flying.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    a watered down laptop for basic business usage
    If Foleo were to excel in whatever (limited) capabilities it has it would be a different thing. I don't mind an additional device for only email, browsing, and PIM management. Not to mention docs, presentation and spreadsheet editing.
  4. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    ...Out of the box, it can't connect to a typical office network, so transferring files is out...
    What is this statement based on? Why couldn't it connect to a typical office network (whatever typical is) out of the box?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  5. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #25  
    I certainly want it to succeed. I think it could be a very useful device. It may take a rev or two but I think/hope it'll get there.

    I don't think that the work done for the Foleo won't benefit the Treo in time. If Palm is moving towards a Linux based OS for future Treo's then I think a good portion of the work done for the Foleo will be used in future Treo's.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  6. derloos's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #26  
    I hope that Palm will work it out with Foleo. I understand what this thing is made for and this is exactly what I need. I'm buying it anyway because it goes along with KISS ideas pretty good, this is what I'm trying to follow. Palm's success will just broaden the support from software makers which is good for me as a consumer. Maybe when buying I will be a little bit sad about the price which could be better, but whatever. All doubts are dropped, the decision's made.
    I know that Foleo cannot do certain thing but that's OK, "this isn't bug, this is just a feature". YouTube is a minor concern, but is it so important? Definitely, no.
  7. dpc
    dpc is offline
    dpc's Avatar
    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    #27  
    Yeah i want the foleo to succeed.
  8. D-Bo's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    #28  
    Although I've previously stated my dislike for the Foleo, I do hope it does well. If for no other reason than I want Palm to do well and continue to develop devices that in IMO are some of the best around.



    __________________________________________________
    Want unlocked CDMA Phones with an open Network?
    See what is happening in Washington to make this happen.


    CLICK HERE

    __________________________________________________
  9. emajy's Avatar
    Posts
    246 Posts
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    #29  
    I was away this past weekend without a notebook pc. All I had was my Treo. There I sat thinking how nice it would be to have a Foleo. I didn't like the concept at first but I have to say it is growing on me. After playing with a Foleo at the NYC sneek peek I can definitely see a need. Especially with all the software it may run. The only thing I will be waiting for is how much all the software I need to deck out my Foleo will cost.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by emajy View Post
    The only thing I will be waiting for is how much all the software I need to deck out my Foleo will cost.
    You have to think though that with the linux community there will be a ton of both paywayre and freeware for the device...not much different than POS or even WM. At least, that's what I hope and expect. Granted, it'll be at least 6 months I imagine before we get a robust choice of programs.

    Definitely something to watch though.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11. #31  
    emajy,
    I know what you mean. I flew last weekend with a layover that was prolonged due to weather. I am toting a large bag, a laptop, and a large portfolio from here to there trying to find a place to plug things in, get a wifi signal, etc. Then, to top it off, one of the straps snapped on the portfolio which made me resort to carrying it like I was totin books home from school. All I could think about was how wonderful a Foleo would have been. It's small enough to fit into one bag with my files, 5 hrs of battery, and hooks up with the Treo. How much better life can be. *fade into clouds with heavenly music in the background*
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
  12. #32  
    I hope it succeeds but not to the extent of Palm abandoning further development of the Treo line!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I hope it succeeds but not to the extent of Palm abandoning further development of the Treo line!
    Not abandon but it seems it will impact how the line develops. This is what Jeff Hawkins had to say:

    In an interview earlier today, you said that the Foleo is going to help you rethink how you want to design smart phones. What do you mean?

    We all struggle with this issue--you want to make this thing (the Treo) smaller. You want the screen to be bigger. You want the keyboard to be nonexistent, but you need to type. There's all these really difficult tradeoffs. Look at what Apple's doing. They decided to punt the keyboard. Steve Jobs thinks that's great. I don't know. We'll find out. We all struggle with the same problems.

    I don't want to reveal too much. But I can now think through the problem differently. I can think through tradeoffs. Well, if I have something with a bigger screen and a keyboard--whether it looks like this (Foleo) or something else--where I can view and manipulate data, does it change how I design this guy (pointing to Treo)? Yes.

    So, maybe a Treo without a keyboard?

    That's an example. I'm not saying we are doing that. But it's much deeper than that and I don't want to say what those deeper things are. It's not just about e-mail. All you have to remember is you've got this thing in your pocket (smart phone) which has got a high-speed Internet connection and huge amounts of memory, just imagine huge, assume almost unlimited at some point in time. Now, what do I do with that data? I can assume this thing is relating to other objects in the world. I have to just leave you with that as a teaser. It frees up some of the constraints you're living with when you're trying to design one of these guys (Treo).
    http://news.com.com/The+best+idea+Je...tml?tag=st.num

    Smaller and/or keyboardless Treos I can see, beyond that I'm not really sure what he's going on about.
  14. #34  
    Should have said, yes of course I'd like to see it succeed - because of my affection for the company, because it probably needs to for Palm to thrive (and possibly even to survive), and because I'd love to see a really compelling sub-laptop platform.
  15.    #35  
    It's interesting to see so many saying they'd like the Foleo to succeed. A number of us were so bothered by what we've heard about the Foleo (true or not) that it may be hard to tell whether we're expecting it to fail or hoping it'll fail.

    I hope it succeeds because I want Palm to succeed. Their success will hopefully bring about more opportunities for me to use devices that make parts of my life easier, more fun, or more productive - whether that's with the Foleo, the Treo, or the Oleoleo.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  16. #36  
    I hope it success because I think the computing world is required to change. Software is becoming more and more complicated but not much change in functionality from the user viewpoint.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    It's interesting to see so many saying they'd like the Foleo to succeed. A number of us were so bothered by what we've heard about the Foleo (true or not) that it may be hard to tell whether we're expecting it to fail or hoping it'll fail.

    I hope it succeeds because I want Palm to succeed. Their success will hopefully bring about more opportunities for me to use devices that make parts of my life easier, more fun, or more productive - whether that's with the Foleo, the Treo, or the Oleoleo.
    The thing is Palm shoots themselves in the foot a lot IMO.

    If they bundled in some decent 3rd party apps for the price they want, the Foleo MAY do better on release.

    Also, where's the excitement marketing should create? The only excitement I've seen is on this forum, and I know from posts, other Palm forums. But that's a limited audience. No excited TV tech geeks telling the public on TV. How is word getting about about the Foleo? Are they sending promotions to corporate America at least? No CNET ads either(a good way to inform the techie public), as far as I can see. Am I missing something? How many of the actual public know about the Foleo's upcoming release?

    You can't sell anything if hardly anyone knows you're there. I would like Palm to have another hot product, but they don't seem to know much about advertising.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The thing is Palm shoots themselves in the foot a lot IMO.

    If they bundled in some decent 3rd party apps for the price they want, the Foleo MAY do better on release.

    Also, where's the excitement marketing should create? The only excitement I've seen is on this forum, and I know from posts, other Palm forums. But that's a limited audience. No excited TV tech geeks telling the public on TV. How is word getting about about the Foleo? Are they sending promotions to corporate America at least? No CNET ads either(a good way to inform the techie public), as far as I can see. Am I missing something? How many of the actual public know about the Foleo's upcoming release?

    You can't sell anything if hardly anyone knows you're there. I would like Palm to have another hot product, but they don't seem to know much about advertising.
    I'm guessing that you'd know better than I, how well or how poorly Palm is advertising the Foleo on television, since I haven't turned on my televisions in over a year. We even gave up on cable.

    I admit that I don't get Palm's plans, at this point, but I've also begun to wonder just how much we actually know about the Foleo (which touches on your point, again). All of this debating and discussion really blurs the line between hard facts and soft speculation. For instance, I thought the storage capacity of the Foleo was already a given, but recent articles say that Palm hasn't revealed this, yet. Kinda makes me wonder what I've been griping about.

    Hopefully, it'll still be released this month and I (/we) can judge it based on the reality of the product. Sadly, I can't help comparing this to Apple's choice to reveal a ton of information about the iPhone six months or more before it debuted. That way, we were able to decide that it was or wasn't for us... and maybe save us some money for the device, extra options, accessories, etc. in time for the release.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  19. 1PTUser's Avatar
    Posts
    304 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #39  
    The Diva is on point again. I really hope that with some of the recent changes at Palm, the marketing folks do a much better job than in the Past. Unfortunately, one of their best efforts IMO was for a product that wasn't quite ready for primetime - the LifeDrive. Maybe they will wait a few months after release; gain early-adopter feedback; do some updates; allow the 3rd party eco-system to develop; then make a big marketing push toward the holidays. Who knows.
    The Foleo sure would make a sweet back to school item for a lot of students. Keep the home/dorm pc turned on and use LogMeIn to run any desktop app you might need.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    The Diva is on point again. I really hope that with some of the recent changes at Palm, the marketing folks do a much better job than in the Past. Unfortunately, one of their best efforts IMO was for a product that wasn't quite ready for primetime - the LifeDrive. Maybe they will wait a few months after release; gain early-adopter feedback; do some updates; allow the 3rd party eco-system to develop; then make a big marketing push toward the holidays. Who knows.
    The Foleo sure would make a sweet back to school item for a lot of students. Keep the home/dorm pc turned on and use LogMeIn to run any desktop app you might need.
    I'd wonder how much that'd impact data plans. I also wonder what happens when you don't have a decent signal or a phone call comes in.

    Man. It's really time for multi-tasking on Palm Treo's - or maybe it's time for me to switch to Windows Mobile.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions