• Instant Messaging

22 36.67%
  • 802.11 G instead of only B

17 28.33%
  • Tablet Computer with Convertible LCD

8 13.33%
  • Built-in Palm OS Emulation or

13 21.67%
  • Palm OS Applications desktop Component (like Splashnotes for windows)

12 20.00%
  • Multi-Media Browsing capabilities (youtube etc.)

28 46.67%
  • RDP Functionality

21 35.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Im just curious what essentials everyone thinks the foleo should be released with.

So i created this poll just to gain some insight into what / how people will be using the foleo.

I included some of the essentials that i think the foleo should have.

1. I have heard that you wont be able to print right out of the box.
    2. No tabbed browsing.
    3. No builtin PIM Functionality.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    1 - Multimedia browsing
    2 - Tabbed browsing
    3 - Built in PIMs

Browsing, Office, and Email are the three big uses for the thing supposedly.

I don't particularly need the email sync, Docs To Go, while not perfect is pretty good, and DataViz updates it pretty frequently (of course you have to buy the updates, but I tend to), but a good internet experience is something I really want.

I've only started enjoying original content on YouTube (rather than the copy paste of tv shows and movie clips), and really enjoy what some people are putting out there, that is only available there. So it's definitely something I would like it to do.

Tabbed browsing, we all know what it's like.

I didn't think I'd use the PIM's on a Foleo at first, when I was reading all the complaints about wanting it in. But after thinking more about how useful the instant on feature is, it started being a lot more appealing, and I'm probably going to get mDayscape on Day 1.

I'd like to see a lot more stuff in Foleo 2.0, but for this one, those are the three things I would like to see built in. (I of course don't expect the PIMs to be, but mDayscape is an acceptable alternative to me.)

4 (almost) - Instant messaging

I don't think it needs to be built in, especially since there are so many different im programs that people use, but I would have enjoyed it if it was. Just as long as someone makes something that works, I'll be happy.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  3.    #3  
    It seems like people are responding well to my poll, thank you everyone for contributing.

Please feel free to post up any other ideas that i forgot to include, I tried to remember what other peoples requests/gripes were from reading other threads but obviously i could not remember them all.

There are as many different opinions regarding what the final functionality of this device should be based on each individual person's needs and wants as there are 20 dollar bills in the Foleos 600.00 price tag.
    For me, RDP is top-most. If there is a decent Remote Desktop program, I can carry Foleo to office everyday instead of my Acer laptop. Our company has a Windows 2003 server which provides terminal service.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    RDP will allow me to do most everything I need to do with a Foleo.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I just remembered the security issues that some people had. They wanted a thumb scanner (I'm not sure what it's called exactly) to quickly unlock it after it's turned on, and a way to ensure that data on the CF card was secure.

From what I remember though, Ben said there was an option to have the Foleo locked unless it was in range of your specific Treo, so once they get apps that can secure the CF/SD cards, there will be no need for biometric / thumbscanning security anyway, in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UGlee View Post
    For me, RDP is top-most. If there is a decent Remote Desktop program, I can carry Foleo to office everyday instead of my Acer laptop. Our company has a Windows 2003 server which provides terminal service.
    I agree 100%. This is a MUST have! With all the Folio shortcomings regarding apps, having RDP makes this a no brainer for me as I can use all of my server resident apps
    Last edited by BigTex; 07/29/2007 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typo correction
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
  9.    #9  
    A couple of items have emerged as being the most prevalent. This should come as no surprise to anyone familiar with the foleo.

Tabbed Browsing support and Built-in PIM functionality.

If palm is marketing this is as a smartphone companion, then it only makes sense to include at the very minimum support for the smartphones' PIM features without making end users purchase this separately as an additional cost to an already pricey and might I add niche product.

Tabbed browsing is a no-brainer. The second most usefull function the foleo would provide for most users is as a browser. And when it comes to browsers: tabbed browsing is considered to be a necessity by most standards, not a luxury, anything less than this is sub-par IMHO.

Thank you everyone for participating and I hope palm and the foleos creators will come to their senses and at least come to include these two features by the release date.
    Last edited by lcstyle; 07/30/2007 at 12:38 PM. Reason: sp
    OK, I'm the newbie here (and I'm NON-technical, so bear with me)...

As a guy who works on the move a lot, I get the Foleo concept and am on the list to have one. Like others here, the lack of included PIM software is frustrating: why should I have to shell out extra bucks to MotionApps to add this must-have?

Print support also seems to be a must, but I'm confident that this can be easily integrated after release.

My biggest concern is tabbed browsing - perhaps someone with more technical knowledge can help me on this one, as I know little about Opera... If I want to access my business' network (via entereing VPN info at a secure website), this opens new tabs on IE.7 - one for the Java applet and another for the "application" window (file directory, web Outlook, etc.). Using software like Bluefire allow me to view my file directory on my company's server, or am I stuck with only the info I store on my Treo?
    Interesting poll results so far.

It would seem, based on the varous sources out there, that many of the top poll picks here will be available when the Foleo hits the street, or shortly thereafter. This is a good thing.

The item that I just don't understand is the lack of printing support. This seems like a no brainer to me. The Foleo comes with a USB port and the drivers for printing via USB in Linux are readily available. Perhaps Palm didn't feel that they could provide a bomb proof solution for installing printer drivers given that there are so many different kinds of printers out there....

In any event, it should not be that difficult to setup some type of printing functionality on the Foleo. The only problem is that (and I'm guessing here because I've never used a foleo) the Foleo apps do not have a print option.

TKOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Tabbed browsing, we all know what it's like.
    I believe Ben said that the reason they didn't include this was hardware related. He was concerned that multiple open pages would really slow the system down. If this is the case, I think it is highly unlikely that Palm will provide tabbed browsing in this version of the Foleo.

However, I will be very suprised if someone doesn't port Firefox over to the Foleo in short order.

TKOS
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Even limited tabs would be acceptable. I tend to have anywhere from 5-10 windows tabbed, but I could live with 3

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    I believe Ben said that the reason they didn't include this was hardware related. He was concerned that multiple open pages would really slow the system down. If this is the case, I think it is highly unlikely that Palm will provide tabbed browsing in this version of the Foleo.

However, I will be very surprised if someone doesn't port Firefox over to the Foleo in short order.

TKOS
    Interesting, thanks for pointing that out, I honestly missed this. Well, I have to be honest, its easy to miss a hardware related bottleneck, im used to having surplus processing capacity. Quad core xeon's, ibm netfinity rackmounts and AS/400's at work.

I never realized there could be an issue here with processing power, i guess i just glossed over the hardware specs. Its not very common nowadays for devices not to have enough horsepower. This is in fact a very big issue now that i realize it.

I tend to open up ten to fifteen tabs at any one time, and a couple of browser instances, some firefox, some internet explorer while i'm browsing. I expect the machine im working on to quickly load all the tabs and whatever content is in those tabs.

I think my usage on the foleo might be somewhat more metered, since one would most likely be tethered to the evdo connection on the smartphone. However, if at home or at work, you would have access to the Wifi connection which is plenty fast to open up multiple browser tabs and instances. I could see how that could possibly overwhelm the Foleo's CPU if the tabs contained an assorted variety of multimedia, java or yes even dreaded activex applets.

Firefox is markedly slower than IE7, i think most would agree, but a foleo linux port would nonetheless be welcome.

Thanks for pointing that out i certainly appreciate that. And while Printing support is definitely a no-brainer, oddly enough for me its not a priority. I dont print much from palm desktop, outlook, or any of the software on the palm, and i have quite a few different palm software titles. I think mostly i just need a good interface to input (bigger screen and keyboard) and view.

interesting discoveries being made here.

Thanks for your responses.
  15.    #15  
    Even limited tabs would be acceptable. I tend to have anywhere from 5-10 windows tabbed, but I could live with 3

you got that right !

Im wondering if the CF card will be used by the Foleo as "ram" memory to page all the open tabs im hopefully going to be able to open when the device is released.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    Interesting poll results so far.

In any event, it should not be that difficult to setup some type of printing functionality on the Foleo. The only problem is that (and I'm guessing here because I've never used a foleo) the Foleo apps do not have a print option.

TKOS
    Im just curious, since the foleo is designed to be extremely light and portable, you would take it most places with you, especially places where your laptop is just too big. So if you needed to reference something, you could just pull it out and bam, its instant on. So with this in mind my question is, what are you envisioning that you will be printing from this device and from what particular software or genre of software. To print you would also need to be in the office or at home, and there are many other computers connected to printers in these places.

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Documents to Go is packaged with the Foleo, because it is expected to be a heavily used application. I could definitely see myself printing out word documents and excel files, either ones that I created, or ones that were downloaded from my email, or (since I'm a college student) from a class website. (Syllabus, powerpoint lecture slides, etc.)

18.    #18  
    Documents to Go is packaged with the Foleo, because it is expected to be a heavily used application. I could definitely see myself printing out word documents and excel files, either ones that I created, or ones that were downloaded from my email, or (since I'm a college student) from a class website. (Syllabus, powerpoint lecture slides, etc.)

ah of course. how silly of me to forget doc's to go. Very true very true.

Hmmm.. So heres a scenario, the docs to go would keep my excel and word documents on my desktop (in my case its actually a laptop) computer in sync with the same file(s) on my treo smartphones SD card. which is where i currently have said documents saved.

Then I would work on the said document on the foleo and it would open up the document from A . the Treo's SD Card or B. it would have to have a copy of the file somewhere on the foleo in order to work on it?

I really hope im not going to have to maintain 3 copies of the same file even if they are all going to be perfectly sync'd. (1 original on laptop, 1 for viewing on the treo, and 1 for editing on the foleo)

And i could see how annoying it would be to have to hotsync the treo to my laptop in order for me to print any new changes to the said word or excel document. Of course if im in the office physically with access to my printer than i might as well just work on the word or excel file from my laptop directly.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lcstyle View Post
    ...Im wondering if the CF card will be used by the Foleo as "ram" memory to page all the open tabs im hopefully going to be able to open when the device is released.
    I really doubt it. CF is way to slow to be used as a swap file.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Nice poll.
    RDP and tabbed browsing are my main needs. I use an MS Exchange server for getting contacts and mail done and so just a browser is good enough there.

802.11g would be nice, but not if it would kill the power consumption. And in terms of PIM, only if it were as seemless as the email, web updatable, and as straightforward as Palm desktop is now.

Great convo, wish I would have hit it in the beginning stages.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast