• Instant Messaging

22 36.67%
  • 802.11 G instead of only B

17 28.33%
  • Tablet Computer with Convertible LCD

8 13.33%
  • Built-in Palm OS Emulation or

13 21.67%
  • Palm OS Applications desktop Component (like Splashnotes for windows)

12 20.00%
  • Multi-Media Browsing capabilities (youtube etc.)

28 46.67%
  • RDP Functionality

21 35.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Don't forget ChatterMail on this list! Those of us without Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync depend on Chatter for "push" email.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I don't know why they did not make the Foleo a Table convertible touch screen. With the foleo size and instant on/off this would be perfect to take notes, read, PIM etc with a tablet note touch screen function. I hope that they will have a tablet convertible in the future.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Nice poll.
    RDP and tabbed browsing are my main needs. I use an MS Exchange server for getting contacts and mail done and so just a browser is good enough there.

802.11g would be nice, but not if it would kill the power consumption. And in terms of PIM, only if it were as seemless as the email, web updatable, and as straightforward as Palm desktop is now.

Great convo, wish I would have hit it in the beginning stages.

Well I am extremely gratefull everyone has replied to the poll.

As far as PIM's are concerned, Palm Desktop has really provided excellent functionality for me for at least 10 years.

But I do think they are LONG overdue for some exciting new functionality. I think an overhaul is not enough, they need to really pull out all the stops on whatever Palm "OS II" is going to be, whether its on Linux or not.

I have always hated Microsoft Outlook as a PIM, until recently that is, when i installed 2007. I finally understand more or less how the tasks and the follow up buttons and all those other features work. I guess with a re-designed GUI the product is finally "gelling", and quite honestly, with Palm Desktops aging interface and lack of functionality, Outlook is growing on me, and not just by default. It is an intuitive application.

At this point in the game (WinXP) is stable on most machines, outlook 2007 seems to load a little faster than it used too, and Word and Excel just keep getting better.

I think most would agree that the desktop landscape is pretty much owned by Microsoft, except for some die hard stalwarts that are using some other alternative (fellow forum users, enlighten me as to where this alternative is ).

I have a confession to make however, not too long ago circa NT4 and Win98 I was totally Pro Linux and Pro Open Source and on the flip side somewhat anti-microsoft, all the while secretly using win2000 pro on my main desktop.

While Linux has made significant strides in its own right, credit should be given where credit is due.

Personally for me, it really all boils down to how productive software is. And this is the age of interconnectedness. Everything seems to want to be able to work with everything else in some way shape or form that mimics the way we as humans think and work. The computing landscape is taking on a semblance of our human behaviour, and products are being developed with just this in mind, as in for example, microsoft surface computing.

I know I went off on a tangent here, but my tangent is closely related to my point: Palm needs to update their "palm" software platform to keep up with the times, I don't think palm desktop has changed for years and i'm afraid that a loose collaboration of palm platform developers offering nine dollar and ninety five cent applets are going to create the kind of cohesive software packages that other larger companies can create. I'll admit there are a few exceptions, but one look at an mDayscape screen shot does not belie the truth. It is a simplistic E-mail client. As much as I hate to admit it.

Perhaps Palm thinks the Linux Open Source community can create this development momentum capable of creating these super applications for the foleo. I'm afraid we're just going to end up with a bunch of rag tag applets with no inter-connectedness.

Anyways......Fight the power.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    I don't know why they did not make the Foleo a Table convertible touch screen. With the foleo size and instant on/off this would be perfect to take notes, read, PIM etc with a tablet note touch screen function. I hope that they will have a tablet convertible in the future.
    Your so right. Its not that the technology doesn't exist, its just that it is not cheap enough to be feasible. What market exists for a Tablet Foleo above the $600 price point? Thats a really good question.

Maybe Palm's Founder was a visionary when he created the Palm.

But is what truly defines a visionary consistency? After all, edison had over 1093 patents in his name. "genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration" he said.

Then again, Oscar Wilde once said "Consistency is the last resort of the unimaginative."

Your choice.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosswords View Post
    Don't forget ChatterMail on this list! Those of us without Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync depend on Chatter for "push" email.
    You don't need ChatterMail on the Foleo, only an e-mail client which will read e-mail via your Treo/BB/whatever handheld device it is communicating with.

The handheld will do all the sending and receiving of e-mails, but instead of viewing on the handheld this is done via the Foleo.
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
  6.    #26  
    Another Realization here to consider. Why would palm give away for free a solution where there is obviously a need. Just look at the winners in this poll and then accept that there will be a 3rd party "solution" to these needs, at a cost above and beyond what the foleo will cost. So basically, the need is the PIM and Browsing Functionality. You have to buy the hardware, but the hardware does not have these applications to satisfy your need, it is not the solution. Instead, the hardware is only a platform for the real solutions to your needs, the software. "If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?"

Losers in this poll will most likely be provided free of charge by Palm in software updates.

Welcome to capitalism.

"Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. "

What truth?

There is no spoon.

There is no spoon?

Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.
    Last edited by lcstyle; 07/31/2007 at 11:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by harps View Post
    You don't need ChatterMail on the Foleo, only an e-mail client which will read e-mail via your Treo/BB/whatever handheld device it is communicating with.

The handheld will do all the sending and receiving of e-mails, but instead of viewing on the handheld this is done via the Foleo.
    I've been researching this question, and your comment doesn't appear to be true. The Foleo will only sync with Versamail, which doesn't support push email (except through Microsoft ActiveSync). I'm currently running both ChatterMail and Versamail on my Treo 600p as an experiment, and there's no cross-fertilization between the two programs. What Chatter downloads through push email stays on Chatter, and what Versamail downloads stays on Versamail. If the Foleo only syncs with Versamail, you'll have to wait until Versamail downloads a message before it will show up on the Foleo.
    Nice quote! The Matrix is one of my favorite movies.
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
  9.    #29  
    I've been researching this question, and your comment doesn't appear to be true. The Foleo will only sync with Versamail, which doesn't support push email (except through Microsoft ActiveSync). I'm currently running both ChatterMail and Versamail on my Treo 600p as an experiment, and there's no cross-fertilization between the two programs. What Chatter downloads through push email stays on Chatter, and what Versamail downloads stays on Versamail. If the Foleo only syncs with Versamail, you'll have to wait until Versamail downloads a message before it will show up on the Foleo.
    This is exactly what I was thinking, it appears you are correct.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by jessi_9783 View Post
    Nice quote! The Matrix is one of my favorite movies.
    Thank you, i only put that quote in there because when i originally started this thread/poll, i did it with the intention of finding out what the main features in the Foleo would be in most demand. I was then expecting for these features to be included in the Foleo, I mean, how could palm not satisfy the users demands in order to sell this product?

I somehow assumed that if enough people wanted certain features to be included, that palm would *have* to include those.

As the poll results started coming in, i realized that the majority of those interested in the foleo wanted it for the PIM features, and i came to the realization that it is not what i, or anyone else wants for that matter, but only what is economically profitable, or at least feasible.

That is why i now think these things will not be included in the Foleo. Still I could be wrong, but theres no money for developers in some of the other minor features that are lagging here in the poll.

Thanks, for posting, the matrix is a great movie on many different levels.
    Last edited by lcstyle; 08/01/2007 at 10:08 AM. Reason: grammar
    Printing is essential if one has to leave laptops and desktops behind.

What about VGA(???) out (for presentations)?
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Printing is essential if one has to leave laptops and desktops behind.

What about VGA(???) out (for presentations)?
    Already included.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Why include it if there is no presentation software.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Why include it if there is no presentation software.
    Doesn't DTG handle PowerPoint presentations?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Chatter is very likely a dead product. Palm bought it and, IMO, is going to pull code from it to enhance Versimail. I don't think Palm has any intention of continuing to develop Chatter.

From the Chatter Forum:

"There are no more upgrades planned for Chatter as it is no longer in development. The latest version, Ver. 3.0., is available to all those who purchased Chatter from http://get.chatteremail.com. "

TKOS
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    Chatter is very likely a dead product. Palm bought it and, IMO, is going to pull code from it to enhance Versimail. I don't think Palm has any intention of continuing to develop Chatter.

From the Chatter Forum:

"There are no more upgrades planned for Chatter as it is no longer in development. The latest version, Ver. 3.0., is available to all those who purchased Chatter from http://get.chatteremail.com. "
    TKOS
    You may be right, although I hope not. I'm not so much wishing for an upgrade of Chatter as I am for Foleo to sync with it.

The critical feature of Chatter, for me, is support for the IDLE switch on IMAP accounts, which creates genuine push email. If Versamail incorporates that feature, it would be tantamount to the same thing (although Versamail is inferior to Chatter for other reasons, too).

Maybe this is just my way of saying that the truly essential feature that Foleo is lacking is push mail for IMAP accounts. Without it, it's a giant step backward from Treo capabilities.
    Visor DX > VisorPhone > T-Mobile Treo 270 > Sprint Treo 600 > Verizon Treo 700p > [Foleo?]
    Again, as was stated above, Foleo will NOT have Chatter - the Foleo depends totally on the email (push or otherwise) capabilities of its paired smartphone.

Now - whether Palm updates/upgrades/replaces Chattermail, to add IMAP idle capability into VersaMail is another question altogether. It makes sense that they might - I mean, why would Marc go there if there were not the promise/hope/intent that his baby - Chatter - would end up being the main mail client for Palm OS.

But for now - Foleo only works with VersaMail and Pocket Outlook.....
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    Doesn't DTG handle PowerPoint presentations?
    The DTG version included with the Foleo will run your powerpoint presentations out of the box. It will do fades and transitions but not animations. Edits are for text only.
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 08/01/2007 at 09:54 PM.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Quote Originally Posted by lcstyle View Post
    Thank you, i only put that quote in there because when i originally started this thread/poll, i did it with the intention of finding out what the main features in the Foleo would be in most demand. I was then expecting for these features to be included in the Foleo, I mean, how could palm not satisfy the users demands in order to sell this product?

I somehow assumed that if enough people wanted certain features to be included, that palm would *have* to include those.

As the poll results started coming in, i realized that the majority of those interested in the foleo wanted it for the PIM features, and i came to the realization that it is not what i, or anyone else wants for that matter, but only what is economically profitable, or at least feasible.

That is why i now think these things will not be included in the Foleo. Still I could be wrong, but theres no money for developers in some of the other minor features that are lagging here in the poll.

Thanks, for posting, the matrix is a great movie on many different levels.
    I guess I'm the only person here who is happy that the Foleo is as bare as it is. I love to customize practically everything in my life. I chose to pay a premium to have my iPod nano painted pink. I plan on having my iMac painted to match. I really like the idea of "build your own" Foleo. If we continue to see our big PalmOS developers and hopefully begin to see the Linux community embrace the Foleo our Foleos will be as uniquely us as our Treos are. But I think what gets developed with depend on demand and cost.

From the list of features you listed I'm only going to talk about the 3 most popular. First of all, only tabbed browsing is really important to me. But I did vote for Multi-Media Browsing capabilities but really that's secondary. I don't think it has to be included. And again I must be the only person who thinks it was wise not to include a built-in PIM especially if they want to branch out beyond PalmOS and WinMo Treos. However, I do think that Palm and MotionApps should offer mDayscape at a discounted price when you buy the Foleo from Palm. I agree with you that most people seem to want the Foleo just for PIM features, but I'm not one of them. As for printing, the last time I printed something was close to a year ago. I have an All-in-One printer and I only use it for scanning. I've been living a paperless existence for about 5-6 years and I couldn't be happier. Those years include college. Every syllabus/study guide was immediately scanned when I got back to my room. I say bring on the bare Foleo and bring it now!!!
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by jessi_9783 View Post
    I guess I'm the only person here who is happy that the Foleo is as bare as it is. I love to customize practically everything in my life. I chose to pay a premium to have my iPod nano painted pink. I plan on having my iMac painted to match. I really like the idea of "build your own" Foleo. If we continue to see our big PalmOS developers and hopefully begin to see the Linux community embrace the Foleo our Foleos will be as uniquely us as our Treos are. But I think what gets developed with depend on demand and cost.

From the list of features you listed I'm only going to talk about the 3 most popular. First of all, only tabbed browsing is really important to me. But I did vote for Multi-Media Browsing capabilities but really that's secondary. I don't think it has to be included. And again I must be the only person who thinks it was wise not to include a built-in PIM especially if they want to branch out beyond PalmOS and WinMo Treos. However, I do think that Palm and MotionApps should offer mDayscape at a discounted price when you buy the Foleo from Palm. I agree with you that most people seem to want the Foleo just for PIM features, but I'm not one of them. As for printing, the last time I printed something was close to a year ago. I have an All-in-One printer and I only use it for scanning. I've been living a paperless existence for about 5-6 years and I couldn't be happier. Those years include college. Every syllabus/study guide was immediately scanned when I got back to my room. I say bring on the bare Foleo and bring it now!!!

My goodness your post made me laugh! Thats hilarious, you know what, its refreshing to hear a different opinion every now and again, so thanks for posting it, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I agree with you on the printing thing, I do print a lot at the office but I wouldnt necessarily need to print a lot from the foleo. Im just glad the E-mail portion of it is going to work out. I wasnt aware that chattermail was bought by palm but in a way im glad because that only means that versamail is going to get much better.

Thanks for posting!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast