View Poll Results: How much would you be willing to pay for a Foleo?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • $199

33 27.97%
  • $299

34 28.81%
  • $399

34 28.81%
  • $499

11 9.32%
  • $599

6 5.08%
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Assuming no additional software or features are added to the Foleo by launch time, how much would you honestly be willing to pay for a Foleo?
    I don't think it should cost anymore than $400. If its a mobile companion to my treo than it shouldn't cost more than my treo itself.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I think there should be discount bundles like Treo+Foleo-$100 U get the idea, don't you?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    I don't think it should cost anymore than $400. If its a mobile companion to my treo than it shouldn't cost more than my treo itself.

I think $399 is the max for a Foleo with no apps. If Palm wants to sell it for $499 then they should include a $100 credit for Foleo software that can be purchased through a Palm-administered Foleo-only software site.

NOW is the time for Palm to get the infrastructure for selling Foleo software right. Palm owes it to developers to create a well-designed software store that charges developers a fair commission for sales (20%?)
    Foleo with current software should be no more the USD300-USD350.

Why? I compared to ASUS EEE which have better hardware and plus CF 8GB only USD250. ASUS EEE may cheaper then Foleo due the case/keyboard/display not as good as Foleo.
    $250
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'd pay the full amount, and buy mDayscape (at first I didn't think I'd want it, but I've changed my mind now), potentially PocketTunes depending on the feature set, and possibly Avvenu, at launch.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    A more illuminating question is whether or not you'll buy the Foleo at the stated price. If not, then you might as well say you'd only be willing to pay $1.

I'm sure most iPhone adopers weren't "willing" to pay $599, but since the option to do otherwise doesn't exist in the real world, they somehow found themselves "able."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    A more illuminating question is whether or not you'll buy the Foleo at the stated price. If not, then you might as well say you'd only be willing to pay $1.

I'm sure most iPhone adopers weren't "willing" to pay $599, but since the option to do otherwise doesn't exist in the real world, they somehow found themselves "able."
    I totally agree.

I can't help but wonder why after five years of development they are going to release Foleo and market as such uni-functional device. So, far palm has mostly referred to it as a email device.

They should have taken a page from apple, even though there full of it too and marketed this device like there changing the nature of computing. I know there are saying that now, to some degree anyway. But that was not how they pushed this when they first came out.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Foleo with current software should be no more the USD300-USD350.

Why? I compared to ASUS EEE which have better hardware and plus CF 8GB only USD250. ASUS EEE may cheaper then Foleo due the case/keyboard/display not as good as Foleo.

Most reports say that the Foleo seems to be nicely constructed. While it might by far behind the Asus Eee PC in terms of specs, specs aren't all that matter. Some of us (like me) are willing to pay a little more for less specs if we feel a device has high quality construction. Like getting the cheapest (well made) Lexus instead of the most expensive (poorly made) Cadillac.
  11.    #11  

I think you misunderstand the point of the poll. It is asking how much each of us HONESTLY would at the MAXIMUM be willing to spend on a Foleo. In other words, "What is the threshold for pricing of a Foleo the beyond which you will NOT purchase?"

It seems pretty obvious that Palm will have to lower its pricing in some way to get people to buy it. This poll might help them realize what the "sweet spot" is for pricing. I suspect that most people will be willing to gamble on this new platform/new device for $399 but not at even $100 or $200 more. Whether or not the Foleo succeeds depends largely on the reception it receives over the next few months. If Palm has miscalculated badly on the pricing on the Foleo (as it did with the LifeDrive) then the platform might never see a Version 2. That would be a shame.

I think Palm needs to price it in one of the following ways:

$399
    $499 with $100 software credit
    $599 with $200 software credit
    $299 with new Treo purchase
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    I totally agree.

I can't help but wonder why after five years of development they are going to release Foleo and market as such uni-functional device. So, far palm has mostly referred to it as a email device.

They should have taken a page from apple, even though there full of it too and marketed this device like there changing the nature of computing. I know there are saying that now, to some degree anyway. But that was not how they pushed this when they first came out.
    The general feeling seems to be that Palm was forced to push the email angle because the rest of the Foleo software is incomplete, but they had to rush it to market as-is anyway.
    Agreed with Chupa about Foleo price and software credit. I think that idea can be implemented by Palm due it cost cheaper then they directly lower the price, because Palm can still make a nice negotiation with software developers.

And if I'm a software developers, I surely will agree sell software cheaper with agreement with Palm, because I can push my sales, and reduce cracking due people already pay some dollar to us when purchase Foleo.
    I like a Treo+Foleo package deal I wish they come up with that
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    The general feeling seems to be that Palm was forced to push the email angle because the rest of the Foleo software is incomplete, but they had to rush it to market as-is anyway.
    I am not sure whether Palm had to rush it to market. But I felt that the software in Foleo met its primary objectives, i.e. the device can meet 80 - 90% of users' needs and it is not intended to replace the desktop and laptop. IMHO, all other software are optional, e.g. some students in this forum do not require vpn but some business users are concern about it. (We already have a lot other thread to discuss it.)

I think the most important is the functionality of the built-in software, i.e.:

- how many phones supported by Foleo;
    - how robust are the Docs-to-go, browers and email client;
    - how user friendly is the interface;
    - how well-build is the device;
    - how interactive amongst the built-in software.

Galen
    I think you misunderstand the point of the poll. It is asking how much each of us HONESTLY would at the MAXIMUM be willing to spend on a Foleo. In other words, "What is the threshold for pricing of a Foleo the beyond which you will NOT purchase?"
    I understood the point perfectly. I simply disagree with the presumed impact such subjective reactions to an unreleased product would have on Palm's pricing. I was challenging the point's business relevance.

Saying "honestly" that you would pay a maximum of $399 when the actual price is $499/$599 (depending on whether or not you factor in the rebate) is merely a more self-conscious way of saying that you're not buying a Foleo, which is not news to Palm. If the sales of the Foleo lag behind Palm's projections (which are probably conservative, as Hawkins has hinted), they'll adjust the price accordingly.

Viewing this poll as a tool to help Palm see the error of their ways, let's suppose that this becomes a popular poll, with dozens of responses, and the price average maximum being $299. What conclusion do you think Palm is more likely to draw from the poll: "Hmm, a lot of people interested in the Foleo seem to think it's overpriced" or "Hmm, a lot of people seem to be interested in the Foleo"?

What people's subjective ideas of what they're "willing" to pay has no bearing on what they're "able" to pay (and actually do pay) in a retail market. In Morocco, I have the option of haggling with the vendor. What vendors do in America a fix an MSRP, analyze their sales after introducing new products into the market, then course correct if necessary. That's why, prior to Napster, CDs easily sold for $15.99 when everyone claimed they would never pay more than $10-12. Before P2P made it easy to pirate music, the option of paying less simply wasn't there.

High-margin pricing is a safety net for new products, especially those launched on a direct sales basis. So if the Foleo's sales aren't what Palm projected by November, they can lower the price (or make promotional offers, like your proposed bundles) before it hits retail, when Palm would lose 40-50% of revenue per sale.

A company's valuation is just as subjective as a consumer's. But a company's ledger gives them some added perspective. They know the development, component, labor, distribution and advertisitng/marketing costs. Consumers can only make guesses, educated or not.
  17.    #17  
    I understood the point perfectly. I simply disagree with the presumed impact such subjective reactions to an unreleased product would have on Palm's pricing. I was challenging the point's business relevance.

Saying "honestly" that you would pay a maximum of $399 when the actual price is $499/$599 (depending on whether or not you factor in the rebate) is merely a more self-conscious way of saying that you're not buying a Foleo, which is not news to Palm. If the sales of the Foleo lag behind Palm's projections (which are probably conservative, as Hawkins has hinted), they'll adjust the price accordingly.

Viewing this poll as a tool to help Palm see the error of their ways, let's suppose that this becomes a popular poll, with dozens of responses, and the price average maximum being $299. What conclusion do you think Palm is more likely to draw from the poll: "Hmm, a lot of people interested in the Foleo seem to think it's overpriced" or "Hmm, a lot of people seem to be interested in the Foleo"?

What people's subjective ideas of what they're "willing" to pay has no bearing on what they're "able" to pay (and actually do pay) in a retail market. In Morocco, I have the option of haggling with the vendor. What vendors do in America a fix an MSRP, analyze their sales after introducing new products into the market, then course correct if necessary. That's why, prior to Napster, CDs easily sold for $15.99 when everyone claimed they would never pay more than $10-12. Before P2P made it easy to pirate music, the option of paying less simply wasn't there.

High-margin pricing is a safety net for new products, especially those launched on a direct sales basis. So if the Foleo's sales aren't what Palm projected by November, they can lower the price (or make promotional offers, like your proposed bundles) before it hits retail, when Palm would lose 40-50% of revenue per sale.

A company's valuation is just as subjective as a consumer's. But a company's ledger gives them some added perspective. They know the development, component, labor, distribution and advertisitng/marketing costs. Consumers can only make guesses, educated or not.

Thoughtful comments as always, Gameboy70.

I would not be so presumptious as to feel that somehow Ed Colligan is going to read this thread and immediately reprice the Foleo at say $399. However, if 500 people respond to this and 80% indicate that they would be interested in buying a Foleo for no more than $399, then perhaps such a datapoint would be helpful to Palm in deciding on future pricing strategies. You are obviously intelligent enough to realize that it is rather easy to find flaws in ANY simplistic poll. I would hope that you would appreciate though that even a simplistic poll can generate useful information.

Saying that you would buy a Foleo for $199, $299, $399, $499, or $599 is telling Palm yhat you ARE interested in their product, but that you have judged it as being "worth" that much to you. If many people feel the Foleo's selling price is more than what they feel it is "worth" to them, then Palm will have a problem and will obviously need to revise its pricing. Given the pricing of competing devices (other laptops) I'm worried that Palm may be shooting itself in the foot by "overpricing" the Foleo. If the Foleo is perceived by its target audience as being overpriced and underpowered, then any momentum Palm may have hoped for at launch may evaporate and in a chain reaction take with it the developer enthusiasm for the platform. Of course you could also argue that the target market is business users, so the feelings of Treocentral readers (likely not primarily business professionals) may be irrelevant. We won't know who is correct until the Foleo is finally on sale, though. If it tanks, then Palm guessed wrong. If it's successful, then Palm guessed right.

Unlike your example of CD sales prior to MP3 piracy, the Foleo does not exist in a vacuum, without competition. Palm is entering the LAPTOP market (no matter how vigorously they want to claim the Foleo is not a laptop). As such, Palm is competing with every other laptop manufacturer on the planet. Before MP3 piracy, consumersdid not have and easy way to acquire that product (music) unless they were willing to pay the price that was set (by record companies in collusion) for CDs. Palm does not enjoy the luxury of collusion with other laptop manufacturers and is trying in essence to sell their version of the same recordings at a higher price than the competition. You and I may both like the production values we "hear" in the Foleo, but after seeing how many tone deaf consumers claim that 128 K bits/s MP3 "sound as good as" CD versions of the same songs I have my doubts that the virtues of the Foleo will resonate with enough consumers to generate adequate sales at $600 to sustain the platform and the developer community. As always, that's in my not-so-humble opinion.

I'd be interested in hearing your "educated guess" at how much the Foleo costs Palm, all things (parts, production, R&D, shipping, advertising, etc.) considered. The parts spec seems to be from around 2005, but the build quality is reportedly high. My W.A.G. (wild assed guess) is $250-$300, so if correct, Palm should have a lot of leeway in its pricing. Thinking the market will bear an MSRP of $599 seems to be aggressively optimistic given the existence of cheap Acers, Dells, etc. I would be shocked if the Foleo's effective price isn't $399 within 4 months of its introduction.

By the way, thanks for your original post on your experience at the Los Angeles Foleo demo. That report piqued my interest enough that I began to reconsider my initial impression of the Foleo and ended up getting my colleague to go to the SF demo. Had it not been for your posts I doubt I would ever have seriously considered getting a Foleo. I guess Palm's marketing department should be paying you on commisssion!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Even if 500 people posted here, it's not a very scientific post. You'd get the pricing that 500 people "said" they would pay at maximum, from people who frequent boards of an item that hasn't been released yet.

Their claimed target market probably has an extremely low percentage of people who fit that. So we'd just be representing just a small extreme of the potential customers.

Actual sales is the way to go.

...And I'm sure they've done what research they could to determine this price.

(Doesn't mean anyone has to like it. I particularly don't like mail-in rebates. I like my rebates to be the instant kind.)

Although I wouldn't say this thread is pointless. Foleo news is slow. We need stuff to talk about. =P I find it interesting just for myself.

19.    #19  
    You are obviously intelligent enough to realize that it is rather easy to find flaws in ANY simplistic poll. I would hope that you would appreciate though that even a simplistic poll can generate useful information.

Of course you could also argue that the target market is business users, so the feelings of Treocentral readers (likely not primarily business professionals) may be irrelevant. We won't know who is correct until the Foleo is finally on sale, though. If it tanks, then Palm guessed wrong. If it's successful, then Palm guessed right.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    heheh... looks like I've been caught skimming again. I really should take the time to read everything.

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast