View Poll Results: How much would you be willing to pay for a Foleo?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • $199

    33 27.97%
  • $299

    34 28.81%
  • $399

    34 28.81%
  • $499

    11 9.32%
  • $599

    6 5.08%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 191
  1. #121  
    Thanks for getting the thread back on track. It got scary for a while!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2.    #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Thanks for getting the thread back on track. It got scary for a while!
    It's sad that trolls are able to undermine discussions like that. Some individuals seem to take words written about an inanimate object to be a personal attack. Let's see if the trolls return and again attempt to stifle any opinions they happen to disagree with.

    The results of the poll are rather interesting and - if representative of the Foleo's potential customer base - Palm should be somewhat concerned that they may have been a little bit too "ambitious" in their pricing strategy. If initial Foleo sales are poor, how will developers react? Who will commit resources to developing for a platform with a questionable future? Hopefully there is a LOT more to the Foleo than what has been shown and we will soon see a Wind River-based Palm Linux shipping on Treos that is compatible with the Foleo OS.
  3. #123  
    Some individuals have been using said inanimate object ;-)
  4. #124  
    The Ben Combee(hope I got that right ) video posted in another thread looked good! I'd raise my vote to $400, but no higher at this time. The Foleo will have to prove itself before I go any higher.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5. #125  
    Alright, Ill raise my vote to 45 cents for the fooleo, I guess. ( after tax, that is)
  6. #126  
    it's not that horrible. They just need to knock a couple hundred off and/or give $100 of free software vouchers, and it'll be worth looking into for more people. Too limited as of now, even Ben said mainly it's now Treo users. If they manage to release it in time for not only Treo, but BB and all WM phones users, they'd actually have something there. Plus target stand alone users, as Ben stated. But if they keep with the "Treo" track too long, they're sinking it!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The Ben Combee(hope I got that right ) video posted in another thread looked good! I'd raise my vote to $400, but no higher at this time. The Foleo will have to prove itself before I go any higher.
    I agree with you, Diva. I'd be willing to give Palm the benefit of the doubt if the Foleo was around $400, but that's definitely as high as I would go. Any higher and I would rather look for a used IBM X40 and use that as a laptop that can be taken anywhere. Almost the same weight as the Foleo, but with a whole lot more functionality.
  8.    #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Alright, Ill raise my vote to 45 cents for the fooleo, I guess. ( after tax, that is)

    That's harsh. It's actually reportedly well made - the biggest problems are that it is a work in progress and that it's around $200 more expensive than it should be. It's weird that Palm would seemingly shoot itself in the foot by pricing a device that (by definition) would appeal to such a limited # of consumers so high. They aren't going to give the Foleo a chance to survive.

    Rumor has it there are now a lot of Foleos out "in the wild" since Linux World last week. Palm apparently was generous in giving Foleos away to anyone claiming to be a developer + willing to sign an NDA. Are you ready for "Hello World"?
  9. #129  
    I would not even pay 199 for it. Its a desperate attempt by Palm to appear innovative.
  10.    #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    I would not even pay 199 for it. Its a desperate attempt by Palm to appear innovative.


    Wow. You don't think a (reportedly) well-made 10 inch Linux laptop is "worth" $199? What other similar devices can you get for that much? Even iPods cost more. For $199 the Foleo would sell as many as Palm could make. Students, teachers, writers, road warriors, techies - everyone would buy one. I wonder if Palm will end up selling Foleos at cost in an effort to quickly build up a Foleo "community"? Any bets?
  11. #131  
    That may be Palm's only hope, to be honest, chupacabra. I think the $149 - $199 range would have the better chance of finding the target consumers you mentioned, although there would still be no guarantee.

    Personally speaking, I would never buy it even at those low prices.. There's just nowhere near enough onboard to justify a purchase.

    Its the zire of laptop computers - there's a very limited market for such a device in my point of view.

    I think we will see that for certain in a year.
  12. #132  
    There's a market. Some people who want the Foleo still won't admit it, but this is a laptop substitute for those who don't want to to lug around a big laptop. Their own statements confirm that's what they think this is. The video makes this even more obvious as Ben mentioned it will do the basics. Substitute is a better word than replacement now that I've seen the video.

    $199 is the starting price of the Asus EEE. Since the Foleo is a better build, they could get away with $250 IF they add a whole lot more under the hood. And market better. I say load it with 10 apps people most want, sell for under $300(with maybe another higher memory and storage option at a bit under $400), and make sure more than just us techies know about it, and it has a chance.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    Wow. You don't think a (reportedly) well-made 10 inch Linux laptop is "worth" $199? What other similar devices can you get for that much? Even iPods cost more. For $199 the Foleo would sell as many as Palm could make. Students, teachers, writers, road warriors, techies - everyone would buy one. I wonder if Palm will end up selling Foleos at cost in an effort to quickly build up a Foleo "community"? Any bets?
    sorry to dissapoint you, but no I will not be buying a folio even for 199$. At any rate, you have to consider the investment also of lugging the thing around with you. If I have to lug something I would rather lug my 12 powerbook which is actually a real computer, and not that much different in size weight, and opening speed (when wakened from sleep) compared to the folio. You can get a used one yourself on ebay in the 400 dollar range:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-G4-Powerbo...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 08/13/2007 at 06:18 PM.
  14. #134  
    Yeah, I have the 12" Powerbook too. I wish they hadn't discontinued that model.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yeah, I have the 12" Powerbook too. I wish they hadn't discontinued that model.
    The 12" G4 is still highly functional, I use it for photoshop and many other power hungry applications. As far as a successor, hang in there, if you can afford to wait a little, Apple may be coming up with an ultra-thin/ultra-light powerbook at the end of the year

    http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/10/...ebook-in-2007/
  16.    #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    sorry to dissapoint you, but no I will not be buying a folio even for 199$. At any rate, you have to consider the investment also of lugging the thing around with you. If I have to lug something I would rather lug my 12 powerbook which is actually a real computer, and not that much different in size weight, and opening speed (when wakened from sleep) compared to the folio. You can get a used one yourself on ebay in the 400 dollar range:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-G4-Powerbo...QQcmdZViewItem
    "Disapoint me?" No, you not being interested in the Foleo doesn't matter to me one way or another. As an IBM X40 user I know the Foleo doesn't offer much in terms of weight savings over a "real" laptop. My interest in the Foleo stems mainly from the potential it hints at for being a small INEXPENSIVE laptop that could be taken places that I wouldn't want to take an expensive laptop. I'm also intrigued by the idea of the Foleo being able to sync to both a Treo and a web app database wirelessly. Remove these features from the equation (cost and syncing) and the Foleo becomes a pointless exercise that was a waste of Palm's resources over the past 3 years.
  17. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    The 12" G4 is still highly functional, I use it for photoshop and many other power hungry applications. As far as a successor, hang in there, if you can afford to wait a little, Apple may be coming up with an ultra-thin/ultra-light powerbook at the end of the year

    http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/10/...ebook-in-2007/
    yeah and it will cost an arm and a leg... at least 3x more than a Foleo i guess you pay for the features. Foleo is much more "specialized" in its function hence is cheaper.
  18. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    yeah and it will cost an arm and a leg... at least 3x more than a Foleo i guess you pay for the features. Foleo is much more "specialized" in its function hence is cheaper.
    like I said before, you can get a good used mac powerbook 12 now for the price you will eventually pay for the folio (which you still cant buy)

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-G4-Powerbo...QQcmdZViewItem
  19. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #139  
    But you're not looking at completed listings, that's important. You don't get to the $500 range until the middle of page three. Plenty of them went for $800-$1000 And the end price to what features each has seems to be really random, so you'd definitely need to do some work to get the right features with a cheap price.

    Plus I don't buy used electronics on ebay. I need to know I can take it into a store and get it fixed under warranty.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  20. #140  
    I'm beginning to not regret keeping mine. I was going to sell it, but now I think I'll just update the RAM if I ever need a small laptop.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions