View Poll Results: How much would you be willing to pay for a Foleo?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • $199

33 27.97%
  • $299

34 28.81%
  • $399

34 28.81%
  • $499

11 9.32%
  • $599

6 5.08%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    From what I've read, my best guess is that Chatter is completely dead. Instead, they'll probably rework IMAP idle support into Versamail. I'd have to imagine that most the Garnet work on new programs is pretty much over, and that instead Marc is probably working on a Linux version, not for the Foleo, but for the new Palm OS in 08.
  2.    #62  
    I don't think Palm is going to be able to sell many Foleos to traditional Treo customers for $599.

I wonder if the Foleo could be repackaged with a remote desktop app, a standalone email app, a PIM app and a more robust browser + sold to businesses as an easy-to-support, virus-resistant, laptop replacement.

Palm could maybe also package software bundles tailored to meet the needs of students/writers, etc. in an effort to broaden the Foleo's appeal.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    From what I've read, my best guess is that Chatter is completely dead. Instead, they'll probably rework IMAP idle support into Versamail. I'd have to imagine that most the Garnet work on new programs is pretty much over, and that instead Marc is probably working on a Linux version, not for the Foleo, but for the new Palm OS in 08.

I agree. PalmOS 5 apps are dead. The new focus is Palm Linux and I expect Marc Blanc was hired for his expertise in doing what was supposedly impossible: creating a (brilliant) push email app for PalmOS. The VersaMail group fumbled the ball on their own 5 yard line. Now it's up to Blanc to recover the ball and march the team down the field + score another touchdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    [COLOR="Red"]I don't think Palm is going to be able to sell many Foleos to traditional Treo customers for $599.
    I disagree. This is exactly the crowd Palm is targeting. I would argue that the majority of the Treo users out there are business related. This is a users already willing to pay $300 or so for a cell phone, plus an extra $40+/month for data service.

[COLOR="Red"]
    I wonder if the Foleo could be repackaged with a remote desktop app, a standalone email app, a PIM app and a more robust browser + sold to businesses as an easy-to-support, virus-resistant, laptop replacement.
    I believe these apps will be available within six months of the release of the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I agree. Chatter is a dead product. I believe Palm purchased the software to eliminate the competition, so to speak, and incorporate parts of Chatter into Versimail. The fact that the Foleo comes with Versimail, after Palm purchased Chatter, seems to indicate Chatter's fate.

Let's just hope that the next generation of Versimail lives up to the quality of Chatter.

TKOS
    Indeed. But if you were considering getting an iPhone but questioned whether or not certain flaws were showstoppers, would that not be worth discussing?
    Sure, but for how long and to what end? I'm not against pointing out flaws, even more than once. But life's too short to dwell on the obvious. I've already said what I don't like about the Foleo. As new issues come to light I'll react accordingly.

I don't believe in glossing over flaws just because they might not be showstoppers.
    Nor do I, which is why I've mentioned the PIM issue several times. Repeating it 50 times might be more cathartic, but it would have zero additional polemic value.

Ignoring the hyperbole of your dismissal of the "sturm and drang", the example of Palm's failure to include PIM apps in the Foleo is a good example of a flaw that is significant.
    The "sturm and drang" comment actually referred to the tempestuous reaction of many bloggers, pundits and forum members to the Foleo announcement, not the PIM issue per se.

Maybe I have a gene missing. I'm genuinely unable to comprehend why anyone would get emotionally upset over an inanimate object, whether it's a desecrated flag or an overpriced gadget. When Palm announced the LifeDrive, my reaction was, "Hmm, that's not for me," not "Are your freakin' kidding me?!" Sure, I like the Foleo, but it's not like my life is incomplete without it, so I have no sense of entitlement that compels me to demand better terms from Palm, though I'd always prefer more features at lower prices.

If such a basic application that has been a core feature of ALL of Palm's previous devices is missing from a device that has been defined as a "companion" to Treos - that are typically relied on for PIM functionality - should this not raise a warning flag that perhaps the Foleo is being released somewhat less than fully baked? If that is the case, what other features will be lacking and/or slow to arrive once the Foleo is released?
    It's pretty obvious that the Foleo is being released less than fully baked. As a consumer you have to ask yourself if the product, as it stands right now, fills your needs; if not, hold off or move on to something better. With mDayscape on board (which I'm not happy about being an aftermarket product), the Foleo does exactly what I need, so I happen to be in Palm's target market for this. I'll be happy if Flash video support and tabbed browsing are added, but those features aren't driving my purchase decision.

Furthermore, how much will third party apps necessary to add missing basic functionality add to the total cost of owning a Foleo? Between the cost of these apps and the high speed CompactFlash card need for memory expansion, a Foleo package may end up costing upwards of $800-$900. That's a price that is getting dangerously close to similarly-sized laptops that run Windows apps like the IBM X61.
    So it costs $800-900 to realize your particular ideal of basic functionality -- and you get the advantages of small size, instant-on, etc. Except for media players and non-groupware PIMs, which are free on desktop operating systems, adding commercial software necessarily increases the TCO of Foleos and laptops.

"Tilting at windmills"? "Monsanto's crimes againt humanity"? "arguing over the price of a discretionary purchase is purile" Peurile?
    Pretty accurate so far (well, except for my spelling ).

That's rather... dramatic. Sounds like you don't like hearing anyone say the Foleo may be overpriced.
    I'm not a fan of wasting time. Demanding company lower their announced MSRP on an unreleased product is clearly naive, ineffectual and immature. Only one factor has any leverage in compelling companies to lower their prices: excess inventory.

Maybe I misunderstand the purpose of the poll. Maybe it's not to campaign for lower prices, but to commiserate with other disgruntled consumers. If so, you have my sympathy but not my solidarity.

What if you conducted that same survey at a Ferrari dealership full of people that either already own or are considering purchasing a Ferrari (Treocentral)? Would the survey still have no merit in your (humble) opinion?
    If the survey asked Ferrari customers if they would consider purchasing a new product category -- say, pickup trucks rather than sportscars -- the survey would have merit. TreoCentral members are primarily interested in Treos (rumor has it that's where the site's name comes from). In fact, one of the main objections to the Foleo has been that its development has taken resources away from improving the Treo line.

Were these customers familiar with what the Walkman did and did they have a frame of reference re: how they could integrate this device into their lives?
    Thank you for making my point for me.

Yes, but as a small laptop, the Foleo is not exactly entering/defining a new consumer niche. It's (almost) all been done before by companies bigger than Palm. The syncing concept is what will ultimately define whether the Foleo succeeds or fails. Unfortunately, Palm's competition is not blind and is apparently beginning to look at covering those bases as well.
    The Foleo is entering what was previously a vertical market niche: instant-on SSDs. Psion and HP had some good products in that category, but failed due to the high cost of flash memory at the time, and less-than-familiar form factors (e.g. diminutive keyboards). Since I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at with "the syncing concept" being the lynchpin to the Foleo's success, I'll let you expand on that.

Palm is entering the commoditized laptop market, yet its pricing dooes not seem to reflect an understanding that the market is commoditized. Now Apple has been able to thumb its nose at commodity pricing for years, but last time I checked, Steve "Decepticon" Jobs worked for Apple, while "Honest" Ed Colligan worked for Palm. Sorry, but Ed is no Steve.
    Look at how many attempts have been made on this thread and others to find a laptop with the same size as the Foleo at a comparable price. Apparently, manufacturers of small laptops haven't understood that the market is commoditized.

Apples and oranges.

Sony TX has 80 GB hard drive, DVD burner, integrated Wireless Access Network, biometric security, multimedia, graphics chip, ethernet port, IEEE 1394 port, PC Card slot, 1.33 GHz CPU and a better screen. Oh, and it runs WINDOWS, for which tens of thousands of programs are available. But it costs $2000.

Versus

Foleo has instant-on, 128 KB "hard drive", no optical media drive, no WAN, limited security, no multimedia, presumably no separate graphics chip, no ethernet port, no IEEE 1394 port, no PC Card slot, 415 MHz CPU and a worse screen. And runs Palm Linux, for which around 20 applications have been announced. But it costs $600.
    Ask any TX owners what they like about the TX and why they were willing to drop $2200 for it. Invariably, owners will mention the size, not the FireWire port or the number of apps they can run on it. Frankly, I've never seen a TX owner run anything than Word, Excel, Outlook, IE and (I'll concede) Quickbooks Pro. I've often considered buying a TX myself, just for it's size, but always stopped short due to the price. On the other hand, I haven't lodged any complaints about Sony's pricing on forums. I'm just not Sony's target market for it.

I would say "people buy products for what they do, what they cost AND how they make them feel". This is why just building a good product is not enough to ensure success. Just ask the Psions and Amigas of the world.
    No argument there.

Oh dear. I take it you don't like the iPhone. I wish I understood where all the iHatred in the world comes from. Could it perhaps be welling up from the heart of the AntiSteve? You need to iLove Steve. While I think the iPhone is mainly a clever repackaging of routine features, at least it's well conceived and arrived relatively complete. Can Palm say the same about the Foleo?
    You're mis-taken. On the contrary, I do like the iPhone. I happen to think it's one hell of a feature phone. But it doesn't fit my needs: DUN, A2DP, tactile keyboard, categorized tasks lists, memos, system-level API access, etc. I don't characterize that as even relatively complete, but I understand that many other customers have different itches to scratch, and that's OK. You'll notice that I never said the iPhone was a bad product; just that it's more sizzle than steak. I also happen to think that Steve Jobs is a genius, a man who can not only sell ice cubes in the Arctic, but can bring some great products to market. I've owned an Apple II+, Mac SE, a Newton 110 (granted, not a Steve Jobs brainchild), a first-gen iBook, G4 Powerbook and 3 iPods, so this iHatred you posit is specious at best.

I believe the lessons Palm should learn from the iPhone are:
    Prepend your product names with an "i"
    Append your product names with "Phone"
    Have your product presented by Steve Jobs

Actually, if you wanted to use PalmOS, for a long time you had to pretty much accept whatever Palm decided to sell. Sony and TRG changed that briefly, but where are they now?
    I used Qualcomm, Handspring, Samsung and Sony Palm OS devices, but I used Palm OS by choice, not by some company fiat. The Palm platform fit my needs more the CE/PPC/WM devices, since I'm not a fan of menu-driven navigation on handhelds.

Is instant-on really that big a deal?
    It's a different standard of expectation. Stationery stores have mostly gone out of business because people are used to the faster response time of email over letters and postcards. People are currently accustomed to 3-minute boot times and other latencies associated with desktop operating systems. I think that will change, even if the Foleo itself fails.

Don't take my word for it. Try the Foleo for a week and see what going back to a laptop is like. For a cheaper alternative, try picking up a Jornada 720 on eBay for under $100. Or just look up the reviews on Amazon and notice that the first thing virtually everyone mentions is instant-on -- and these are users, not HP muckety-mucks.

Or just imagine hitting the calendar button on your Treo and waiting a couple of minutes for the OS to boot.

Let's leave crude ad hominem attacks out of this thread please.
    I promise not to say things like "Finally, the 'Hawk' has taken flight… right into a power line" or "Oh Look! I Get To Bash Palm And Nokia At The Same Time! It’s Two Two Two Hits In One!"

Palm's stock prices are manipulated at will by those in the know.
    And by the magic of circular logic, anyone who denies this conspiracy is, by definition, not in the know. I'm equally ignorant in the U.S. Air Force's role in the Roswell Incident.

Most financial press are either unaware of this or are too polite to tell it like it is.
    Or have higher journalistic standards.

Too bad the Foleo REQUIRES a Treo to download/send regular email, lacks tabbed browsing and lacks full-function Office applications. Not to mention the glaring lack of security on this supposedly business-focused device. (Lose your Foleo to a thief with a $10 card reader and suddenly ALL of your files stored on the internal CompactFlash card are accessible. Not good.)
    I have a Treo, but I also have Gmail. I prefer tabbed browsing, but have used IE6 and Blazer unscathed. I've even used DTG to write an send articles for which I've been paid. I had my Gateway laptop stolen 6 years ago, and even without a CF card on board, it tooks months to resolve the resulting identity theft issues.

As much as I'm entertained by your "showstopper" scenarios, I only have so much time to humor them.

No Outlook compatibility.
    From "no security" to "no Outlook compatibility"! I'm pretty tired, so you'll have to make up your own punchline.

Limited PowerPoint functionality. I believe I read that Documents To Go's Excel functionality is also crippled. As is DTG's Word functionality.
    Limited hands-on experience. Limited authority. Limited objectivity.

So are you saying that you're not very good at prognostication?
    I'm no more a soothsayer than anyone else. I'm certainly not saying that the Foleo's success is a foregone conclusion. Making it a success is Palm's responsibility, not mine. I've only argued that there's a market for it.

I'm just not seeing how more than a few thousand Treo owners are going to be buying Foleos given how limited the specs and compatibility is at this point in time + given Palm's current pricing. All this effort seems odd for a product that at best will probably be able to bring in no more than a few million dollars in sales each quarter. Palm needs to reveal the REAL ideas behind the Foleo ASAP.
    Nothing new here. I'll let it rest.

OK then, let's talk numbers. How many Foleos will Palm sell in the rest of 2007? Pretend they sell 10,000. At $300 profit each = $3,000,000 profit for the line. After 3 years of development efforts, that would count as poor sales of hamburger for most companies. Given the 2004/5-vintage hardware and software, I presume Palm has thousands of Foleos already stashed away somewhere awaiting release. Hopefully Palm will decide to reflash them with some better software before they're shipped next month.
    If they manufactured 10,000 and sold 10,000, it would be a success. Investors would be convinced to increase production to match increased projections, initiating an upward cycle. If they project 50,000, manufacture 70,000 and sell 10,000, that would be a serious problem. There's no way to make an informed opinion, since we lack all three data (projections, production runs and end-of-year sales). Analysis without data doesn't even merit the label of guesswork.

What if Palm sells only 500 Foleos in its first weekend?
    I doubt we'd hear about it unless the launch intersects with an SEC filing. Most companies don't volunteer initial sales in such short windows, unlike Hollywood movies. The big exception, of course, was the iPhone, which, like a Hollywood movie, is an entertainment product.

Don't forget that the Asus Eee PC is also thumbing its Linux-shaped nose at Cæsar. And that it is half the price of a Foleo.
    And over twice the sales needed for sustainable profitability ("over" due to lower margins). I'll probably get the 10" model for hacking, though.

Unfortunately for Palm, a lot of other potential customers likely cannot make similar claims [of being willing to pay retail for the Foleo].
    More conjecture insinuated as fact. We'll know soon enough.
    You both make great points.

I have a question though.

Where failed predecessors mentioned priced similar to foleo or more in the range of laptops?
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    Where failed predecessors mentioned priced similar to foleo or more in the range of laptops?
    I never bought a Jornada 720 when it was in retail, but the Psion Series 7 was $999.
    I'm genuinely unable to comprehend why anyone would get emotionally upset over an inanimate object, whether it's a desecrated flag or an overpriced gadget. When Palm announced the LifeDrive, my reaction was, "Hmm, that's not for me," not "Are your freakin' kidding me?!"
    Yeah, I'm with you there. I think most people, however, don't have reactions to the object itself, but rather to what that object says about whoever has created it/is using it/is talking about it. For instance, I have little emotional reaction to the iPhone - other than "Oo, shiny" - but I get extraordinarily irritated at the hype and over-the-top gushing about it that you see everywhere nowadays. Not to mention Apple's smug, full-of-crap marketing about how "revolutionary" it is.

People's seemingly emotional reactions to the Foleo usually aren't tied to the device itself, but rather what it says about how Palm sees the future of mobile computing. It's a bitter pill to swallow for those who wanted Palm to keep forging ahead with the near-dead PDA segment. (Not me, though; if it was a little cheaper, I'd seriously consider getting one as a comfy couch/bed computer. I get all cramped up when I sit at my desk for longer than an hour or two, which I often need to do when wordsmithing - I love that term - my Palminfocenter articles.)
    Last edited by freakout; 07/31/2007 at 03:02 AM. Reason: perfectionism
    That $800-$900 speculation on what a fully functional Foleo will add up to still bites, especially when looking at other options. Sorry folks. I don't want instant on that badly. Hopefully it's just speculation though and doesn't turn out to be the truth.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by freakout View Post
    People's seemingly emotional reactions to the Foleo usually aren't tied to the device itself, but rather what it says about how Palm sees the future of mobile computing.
    It all comes down to how much responsibility people are willing to take for their own emotional well-being. My identity and self-esteem aren't tied to Palm's vision, so I don't "seemingly" get upset when our visions diverge. I certainly don't buy devices to express my insight into the future or to validate a company's. A product either does what I need, right now, or it's not a candidate for purchase.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    ...Maybe I have a gene missing. I'm genuinely unable to comprehend why anyone would get emotionally upset over an inanimate object, whether it's a desecrated flag or an overpriced gadget...
    I'd venture to say you miss the point why people get upset over a desecrated flag. It's the reason for the desecration that people get upset about more than the inanimate object. I realize I've used a broad brush in my response but I'm pretty confident that I speak for most people.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'd say it also compares to being emotionally involved in a movie or tv show. We all know they're fake, yet a good story keeps people wanting more, and if the pay off at the end doesn't live up to the build up, then it takes the person out of the experience, and people get mad at it as a movie.

In a similar vein, for gadget enthusiasts, they hear the announcements, know what's come before, let their imagination anticipate what's to come... and then when the pay off isn't what they expected, there is a negative emotional response. The level of intensity just varies from person to person.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    I'd venture to say you miss the point why people get upset over a desecrated flag. It's the reason for the desecration that people get upset about more than the inanimate object. I realize I've used a broad brush in my response but I'm pretty confident that I speak for most people.
    You can only desecrate living, sentient beings, not inanimate objects. Of course, anyone who invests time and energy attempting to desecrate an object clearly has more emotional problems than those offended.
    Gameboy70: It all comes down to how much responsibility people are willing to take for their own emotional well-being. My identity and self-esteem aren't tied to Palm's vision, so I don't "seemingly" get upset when our visions diverge. I certainly don't buy devices to express my insight into the future or to validate a company's. A product either does what I need, right now, or it's not a candidate for purchase.
    I used "seemingly" 'cause you can never really tell with text on a page. Especially on the internet.

And actually, I'd bet that you do buy devices - especially computers - based on how you think they're going to evolve over time, and whether or not you agree with the maker's vision of what a computer should be. Heck, apart from brand loyalty and price, they're two of the major factors that should form the crux of any informed decision to purchase.

Gerorne summed it up nicely: the anger at the Foleo on the internet comes out of the dashed expectations of some long-time Palm fans, and those idiots who think l33t specs should be the primary measure of a device's usefulness. Palm themselves are somewhat to blame for this by keeping it all so hush-hush. (Not that I think it was the wrong decision; just that when you keep hinting at secret businesses and revolutionary ideas, but don't provide any detail, people are naturally going to start forming their own ideas in lieu of you providing one.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    I'd say it also compares to being emotionally involved in a movie or tv show. We all know they're fake, yet a good story keeps people wanting more, and if the pay off at the end doesn't live up to the build up, then it takes the person out of the experience, and people get mad at it as a movie.
    As long as audiences can separate fact from fiction, there's no pathology involved.

In a similar vein, for gadget enthusiasts, they hear the announcements, know what's come before, let their imagination anticipate what's to come... and then when the pay off isn't what they expected, there is a negative emotional response. The level of intensity just varies from person to person.
    When negative emotional resposes metastasize into outright hostility, it's time to leave go offline and take a walk, or see a therapist.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    You can only desecrate living, sentient beings, not inanimate objects. Of course, anyone who invests time and energy attempting to desecrate an object clearly has more emotional problems than those offended.
    Not according to the dictionary. However I still think you're missing my point. People get upset because they see what the flag represents as being attacked.

I also think Gerome nailed it in regards to the Foleo (and everything else Palm is coming out with these days).
    Last edited by TxDot; 07/31/2007 at 09:34 AM.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by freakout View Post
    I'd bet that you do buy devices - especially computers - based on how you think they're going to evolve over time, and whether or not you agree with the maker's vision of what a computer should be. Heck, apart from brand loyalty and price, they're two of the major factors that should form the crux of any informed decision to purchase.
    I can tell you that I don't, but it's up to you to believe me. A device's evolution over time is certainly worth thinking about after you've determine that it meets your current needs, but again, I'm not a fan of wasting time, so there's only so much futurology I'm willing to entertain. I could've been wrong about the Segway. Maybe there's an alternate universe where roads are teeming with them. But I basically avoided buying one because it didn't meet my current needs, and I didn't devote time to discussing it further.

Gerorne summed it up nicely: the anger at the Foleo on the internet comes out of the dashed expectations of some long-time Palm fans, and those idiots who think l33t specs should be the primary measure of a device's usefulness. Palm themselves are somewhat to blame for this by keeping it all so hush-hush. (Not that I think it was the wrong decision; just that when you keep hinting at secret businesses and revolutionary ideas, but don't provide any detail, people are naturally going to start forming their own ideas in lieu of you providing one.)
    Again, it comes down to taking responsibility for one's emotional well-being. A typical 15-year-old would react differently to Palm's announcement than a 50-year-old, partly because the latter's identity is more or less fully formed and doesn't require accessories to fill a void. Jeff Hawkins or Dean Kamen can drop all the hints they want, they have no dominion over your fantasies. If their announcements don't deliver on their hints, then it's time to acknowledge the fact and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    Not according to the dictionary. However I still think you're missing my point. People get upset because they see what the flag represents as being attacked.

I also think Gerome nailed it in regards to the Foleo (and everything else Palm is coming out with these days).
    I certainly can't stop people from investing objects with semantic content. Like I said, maybe I have a gene missing. Anyway, I wouldn't want to offend you by trivializing something you're obviously anxious about, so I'll drop it.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'm genuinely unable to comprehend why anyone would get emotionally upset over an inanimate object, whether it's a desecrated flag or an overpriced gadget.
    I think that's pretty much where we're at. Still at the beginning, and at this point, I don't think anyone's going to be able to get you to understand why. It might have to just be left at, "It just happens."

Edit: Looks like you felt the same as I was typing up my post.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast