View Poll Results: How much would you be willing to pay for a Foleo?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • $199

33 27.97%
  • $299

34 28.81%
  • $399

34 28.81%
  • $499

11 9.32%
  • $599

6 5.08%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    I wish iFoleo was $399 but lets get real. There not dropping the price they already set before launch. That would be like saying we ****ed up and lets try to salvage what we can.

When all is said and done people like me, those who want a simplified computer experience are going to shell there $649.00 for this. I pissed and moaned a lot about pricing on this board and my wife has certainly got an ear full of it too. But when I actually stopped and thought about what I am getting with foleo for price vs what I would have to pay for in an ultra portable laptop. Foleo won hands down. If, software runs what I think it will for Foleo you should be able to come away with 70% of what you do on your laptop in an ultra-portable laptop for at the most $800. Thats not bad considering the cheapest new sub 3.5 ib laptop new I saw cost $1300. And that doesn't include software.

I would suggest you go over to www.lenovo.com, where today you can buy an IBM X61 for as low as $1,050 or a low voltage CPU model X61s for as low as $1,115. With some smart choosing you could get a really nice X61s with either XP or Vista and with either a 60 GB or 120 GB hard drive for well under $1300. If you're a student I believe Microsoft still sells a version of Office that you can easily find for less than $130.

So for roughly twice the price of a Foleo you can buy a 12 inch screened Windows laptop weighing less than 3 pounds that has 60-120 GB hard drive, 1 GB RAM, Microsoft Office, an industry-leading keyboard, and the lure of hundreds of excellent, proven, FREE applications available RIGHT NOW. Oh and battery life can last almost 5 hours:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2828

Or using this coupon for $464 off you could buy the following Dell for the Foleo's $599 price:

$464 off Inspiron E1405: Only $599 (before tax, fees, shipping, & handling) in Dell Home.
    For this offer, enter Dell Coupon Code: T3ZCK45MRWPLD3

Offer is only valid on Inspiron E1405 with e-value...more details
    Expires
    Wednesday
    Aug 1

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ DUO T2350 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
    LCD PANEL 14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA TFT Display with TrueLife™(glossy)
    MEMORY 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
    HARD DRIVE Size: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    VIDEO CARD Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Audio
    BATTERY OPTIONS 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    WIRELESS CARDS Dell Wireless 1390b/g (54Mbps)
    Thanks for the info Chup. I didn't see the weight on the Dell so I assume at that price it must be more than 5ib's. I already have a laptop. Don't want something over 5ibs. Foleo looks very nice to me at 2.5 ibs and enexpensive.

P.S. I will be looking more into that laveno though. Thanks
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    I've chosen to spend my time discussing products I plan to get, not ones I have no intention of getting. That's why you won't see me on iPhone forums claiming that it's overpriced, or that it lacks my prefered list of features. Life's too short.
    Indeed. But if you were considering getting an iPhone but questioned whether or not certain flaws were showstoppers, would that not be worth discussing? To each his own.

I would emphasize my critiques of the Foleo if they were decisive ones -- i.e. if they potentially altered my decision to get a Foleo. Otherwise, I don't see the need so much sturm and drang over a mere product. I caught myself wasting time reiterating my objections to the lack of an onboard PIM. The complaint is still valid, but the situation is out of my control, so there's no point in rehashing it. I'll get mDayscape and move on to more important problems.
    I don't believe in glossing over flaws just because they might not be showstoppers. Ignoring the hyperbole of your dismissal of the "sturm and drang", the example of Palm's failure to include PIM apps in the Foleo is a good example of a flaw that is significant. If such a basic application that has been a core feature of ALL of Palm's previous devices is missing from a device that has been defined as a "companion" to Treos - that are typically relied on for PIM functionality - should this not raise a warning flag that perhaps the Foleo is being released somewhat less than fully baked? If that is the case, what other features will be lacking and/or slow to arrive once the Foleo is released? Furthermore, how much will third party apps necessary to add missing basic functionality add to the total cost of owning a Foleo? Between the cost of these apps and the high speed CompactFlash card need for memory expansion, a Foleo package may end up costing upwards of $800-$900. That's a price that is getting dangerously close to similarly-sized laptops that run Windows apps like the IBM X61.

The Foleo's price should be lower, but it's not. Since I have more control over my own finances than Palm's, I'm not going to devote valuable time tilting at windmills. Maybe if we were talking about Monsanto's crimes againt humanity, begging them against long odds to change their business practices, the time would be well spent. But arguing over the price of a discretionary purchase is purile.
    "Tilting at windmills"? "Monsanto's crimes againt humanity"? "arguing over the price of a discretionary purchase is purile" Peurile? Hmmm. That's rather... dramatic. Sounds like you don't like hearing anyone say the Foleo may be overpriced.

I've suggested that businesses don't care what consumers proclaim as their threshold. They make projections, compare them against sales, analyze all factors (not just pricing) and make adjustments as needed.
    I just asked my Magic 8 Ball whether or not Palm would need to reduce the price of the Foleo and it said "Signs Point To Yes". Asked it again and it said "Without A Doubt". Perhaps Jeff Hawkins and Palm's product planners should retain my Magic 8 Ball's services.

If I walk out into the street and ask 100 people at random how much they would be willing to pay for a Ferrari, the results might validate my bias against conspicuous consumption, but they would have no demographic value for the manufacturer or their bottom line.
    What if you conducted that same survey at a Ferrari dealership full of people that either already own or are considering purchasing a Ferrari (Treocentral)? Would the survey still have no merit in your (humble) opinion?

I mentioned the Walkman because Sony has explicitly told by customers that there was no need for it, and that they wouldn't buy it.
    Were these customers familiar with what the Walkman did and did they have a frame of reference re: how they could integrate this device into their lives?

Cell phones have been around for over 40 years, beginning as car-mounted models (huge status symbols in the Sixties and Seventies). Pagers were just becoming small enough to wear on belts (but still larger than StarTACs). Even back when I couldn't imagine needing a cell phone, they were already hip and trendy. The faster response times needed for freelancing compelled me to get a cell phone, against my will. With hands-on experience, my attitude changed.
    Yes, but as a small laptop, the Foleo is not exactly entering/defining a new consumer niche. It's (almost) all been done before by companies bigger than Palm. The syncing concept is what will ultimately define whether the Foleo succeeds or fails. Unfortunately, Palm's competition is not blind and is apparently beginning to look at covering those bases as well.

In a broader context, cell phone adoption happened because the industry spent billions of dollars building the infrastructure allowing the phones to work virtually anywhere, and because economies of scale commoditized the prices for consumer-level outreach. The cell phone was previously available; it just became more available, like the internet after Mosaic.
    Palm is entering the commoditized laptop market, yet its pricing dooes not seem to reflect an understanding that the market is commoditized. Now Apple has been able to thumb its nose at commodity pricing for years, but last time I checked, Steve "Decepticon" Jobs worked for Apple, while "Honest" Ed Colligan worked for Palm. Sorry, but Ed is no Steve.

Its low (!) price relative to size (e.g. the Sony TX series at 4x the price), instant-on, integrated Bluetooth, quality construction and ease of use. A shopworn but valid parallel would be the Pilot succeeding where the Newton failed, with essentially no new or unique features.
    Apples and oranges.

Sony TX has 80 GB hard drive, DVD burner, integrated Wireless Access Network, biometric security, multimedia, graphics chip, ethernet port, IEEE 1394 port, PC Card slot, 1.33 GHz CPU and a better screen. Oh, and it runs WINDOWS, for which tens of thousands of programs are available. But it costs $2000.

Versus

Foleo has instant-on, 128 KB "hard drive", no optical media drive, no WAN, limited security, no multimedia, presumably no separate graphics chip, no ethernet port, no IEEE 1394 port, no PC Card slot, 415 MHz CPU and a worse screen. And runs Palm Linux, for which around 20 applications have been announced. But it costs $600.

"Apple seems to inexplicably . . . . [insert list of iPhone gripes]." People buy products for what they do, not what they don't do. If you're in the market for a product and can accept one set of feature tradeoffs over another, you'll buy that product and not the other. Markets are robust ecologies with solutions for many different needs, and they can handle imperfection.
    I would say "people buy products for what they do, what they cost AND how they make them feel". This is why just building a good product is not enough to ensure success. Just ask the Psions and Amigas of the world.

My apologies for mentioning the iPhone, a lighting rod for off-topic commentary.
    Oh dear. I take it you don't like the iPhone. I wish I understood where all the iHatred in the world comes from. Could it perhaps be welling up from the heart of the AntiSteve? You need to iLove Steve. While I think the iPhone is mainly a clever repackaging of routine features, at least it's well conceived and arrived relatively complete. Can Palm say the same about the Foleo?

Let's reframe your question to underscore the validity of your insight. If Palm had produced the iPhone (with exactly the features it currently has and lacks), would it have been a blockbuster? More importantly, so what? I think most people would agree that the iPhone is more sizzle than steak, and I'm not cynical about that -- by any business yardstick, its a success. But until Jeff and Ed acquire Steve's Reality Distortion Field, the lessons to be learned from the iPhone project are limited, which is why I confined my iPhone reference to highlighting that people buy it for what it offers, not what it doesn't.
    I believe the lessons Palm should learn from the iPhone are:

Don't bite off more than you can chew.
    Don't arrive late to the party emptyhanded.
    Don't exaggerate what you are planning to deliver (e.g. Jeff Hawkins' "Next big thing")
    Don't charge more than the market will bear.
    Don't confuse consumers by incorrectly describing your product's niche.
    Remember that style can triumph over substance.
    Snake oil can still be sold in 2007 if the salesman is slick enough.
    Don't depend on third party developers to compensate for your failures.
    Don't try to nickel and dime consumers on the basic package - if they feel good about the basics you can hook them on the accessories.
    Never denigrate your product in public, especially before it's even released (e.g. Jeff Hawkins' "If I could do it again I'd put a faster processor in it. The video is jerky..." comment at the D Conference in May).
    Beta test your products (why are Palm's own Treos failing to pair with the Foleo AT THEIR OWN DEMO SESSIONS?)

I've always used Palm OS devices by choice, and have never been "told" what I did or didn't need by Palm. Most customers are grown-ups perfectly capable of making their own decisions.
    Actually, if you wanted to use PalmOS, for a long time you had to pretty much accept whatever Palm decided to sell. Sony and TRG changed that briefly, but where are they now?

Yes, they do omit features for many reasons. Windows laptops omit instant-on, for instance, to run legacy apps if Microsoft hopes to have another quarter of high growth.
    Is instant-on really that big a deal?

I read the financial press that week, not just the technology press. Reading both in parallel paints quite a different picture of the Foleo's reception than sticking with the jejune rants of Mike Cane and Jeff Kirvin.
    Let's leave crude ad hominem attacks out of this thread please. Palm's stock prices are manipulated at will by those in the know. Most financial press are either unaware of this or are too polite to tell it like it is.

Even if I agreed with your monolithic image of business markets, I wouldn't conclude that sales of Foleos and laptops are mutually exclusive. For many executives, laptops have become their desktops, and the Foleo offers a quicker and less cumbersome alternative for handling email, web research and Office docs.
    Too bad the Foleo REQUIRES a Treo to download/send regular email, lacks tabbed browsing and lacks full-function Office applications. Not to mention the glaring lack of security on this supposedly business-focused device. (Lose your Foleo to a thief with a $10 card reader and suddenly ALL of your files stored on the internal CompactFlash card are accessible. Not good.)

Care to elaborate?
    No Outlook compatibility. Limited PowerPoint functionality. I believe I read that Documents To Go's Excel functionality is also crippled. As is DTG's Word functionality.

That was my reaction to RIM's offerings 7 years ago. So much for what I think . . .
    So are you saying that you're not very good at prognostication?

Evidently the answer is no . Suffice it to say, I choose my words carefully.
    I don't expect anyone whose phone isn't supported to buy it, unless email synching's not a priority, and web-based mail is sufficient. If watching YouTube videos and playing Windows games are priorities for one's mobile computing needs, the Foleo is the wrong tool for the job. And as I've mentioned before, some people do have jobs that require industry-specific software (e.g. AutoCAD) that simply require carrying a laptop all day, making the Foleo redundant. Those are all real use cases, but hardly as all-encompassing.
    Anyone for whom the bulk of the daily mobile computing is email, the web, documents and spreadsheets. Fortunately, I don't work in marketing, so I don't have to pigeonhole people based on their requirements.
    I'm just not seeing how more than a few thousand Treo owners are going to be buying Foleos given how limited the specs and compatibility is at this point in time + given Palm's current pricing. All this effort seems odd for a product that at best will probably be able to bring in no more than a few million dollars in sales each quarter. Palm needs to reveal the REAL ideas behind the Foleo ASAP.

Low sales are absolute, poor sales are relative. If I sell 100% of the (high-margin) steaks I offer, but 20% of my (low-margin) hamburgers, I would characterize that latter as poor sales, even if the hambugers outsold the steaks by a factor of three. A company manufactures the number of widgets it expects to sell. If their guess is right, they've had excellent sales. If they wind up with excess inventory, they have a problem. Dean Koontz isn't a failure just because his books sell far less than J.K. Rowling's.
    OK then, let's talk numbers. How many Foleos will Palm sell in the rest of 2007? Pretend they sell 10,000. At $300 profit each = $3,000,000 profit for the line. After 3 years of development efforts, that would count as poor sales of hamburger for most companies. Given the 2004/5-vintage hardware and software, I presume Palm has thousands of Foleos already stashed away somewhere awaiting release. Hopefully Palm will decide to reflash them with some better software before they're shipped next month.

As an entertainment device (and, lest we forget, a cell phone), the iPhone has an inherently larger market than the Foleo. If Palm sold 50,000 Foleos in its first weekend, the Foleo would be pronounced a sleeper hit. If Apple sold 50,000 iPhones in its first weekend, it would have been a death knell to investors.
    What if Palm sells only 500 Foleos in its first weekend?

I'll leave your caricatured rendering of the more gradual scenario I portrayed without comment.

Laptop manufacturers have the same problem, in addition to having to render unto Ceasar a $50 licensing fee for Windows.
    Don't forget that the Asus Eee PC is also thumbing its Linux-shaped nose at Cæsar. And that it is half the price of a Foleo.

My budget can sustain the current pricing structure, given my needs. YMMV.
    Unfortunately for Palm, a lot of other potential customers likely cannot make similar claims.
    Some VERY good points made there, Chupacabra!!

However, the iPhone is NOT complete either IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Two things:

Yes, the instant-on is a big deal to some people. That's the biggest selling point to myself, (although it's really how a combination of the features work together that's the full selling point, and not a feature by feature thing.)

And yes, the Foleo needs a Treo to receive/send email... but you forget to mention that it's only if you are out of Wi-Fi range. If you're in Wi-Fi range, you have the option of the Treo or just go onto the web. A laptop can only use the web. So that feature is only a plus in the Foleo's favor, and not the negative you're making it out to be.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    I don't know about that. Honestly.

I might be confused about something, but when the Treo sends and receives email, it's using data right? Isn't that the web/internet? Please correct me if I'm wrong because I may be confused like I said. It's early, LOL! But I thought sending and receiving email was data usage.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    BTW, anyone know if the Foleo can use those broadband cards carriers sell? Or is it wifi and Treo connections only?

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    BTW, anyone know if the Foleo can use those broadband cards carriers sell? Or is it wifi and Treo connections only?
    It doesn't have a slot for any of those.

As for the comment about needing the Treo only if you're out of Wi-Fi range, that is one thing I have to disagree with. The email app is apparently so crippled that it can only work through syncing with Versamail.

Yes, the syncing is a nice feature, but if you have an IMAP mailbox thats not an issue anywa.
    That renders it unusable for me, if true. I don't even use Versamail.

Well for WM users it syncs with Outlook I believe.

It almost sounds like it uses a Hotsync conduit type thing to retrieve the mail, and that might be why only Versamail is synced on the Palm. It definitely needs Chatter/Snapper support for Palm before many here will be able to use it for email, and support for IMAP without the Treo would be nice too.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra
    Don't exaggerate what you are planning to deliver (e.g. Jeff Hawkins' "Next big thing")
    I'm NOT a iPhone hater; but, let's be fair. Wasn't the iPhone promoted as being 5 years ahead of any other smartphone on the market as other devices were relatively dumb by comparison? It's certainly gorgeous, but 5years ahead while missing common features

I believe the Foleo *potentially* can be a very succesful class of device. As I stated before however, given it's current specs, it seems to be too little for too much. It needs to have an included remote access solution (ie. terminal services client, 1yr. subscription to GoToMyPC, somethin) and a full email client. Those two things alone would sway many and immediately make it a more useable solution for the business-focused with and without technical resources/expertise. (Some 3rd party will almost certainly make a full blown email solution.)
    We've heard discussion of possible future insta-sync funtionality between a Foleo and Treo so that edits in docs, email, etc on one device are *instantly* visible on the other and native application transportability so that one could start reading an e-book on the treo, flip the page, open the Foleo and *immediately* be at the same place in the same document to continue reading.
    There are all kinds of interesting wonderful possibilities for this class of product. But what might be of greater consequence for Palm may be the things that happen beyond the release of Foleo 1.0. Will it be enough of a solution that it's potential will be bought into by more than just a fringe? Will it be marketed appropriately? Will the targeted market (executives) get the concept and see Palm's offering as an acceptable execution on the concept? Will Palm actually listen to constructive feedback from their existing and potential userbase or limit themselves only to the Hawkins prescribed use of the platform? Will Palm show a greater commitment to the Foleo than they did to the LifeDrive? How quickly and by what means will Palm offer updates to existing Foleo users? How long will HP and Dell wait if the Foleo concept proves to be successful?
    Palm may have been rushed to release Foleo 1.0, but what will they do after Foleo Day 2007? What will I get beyond what is shipped in the box?
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
  12.    #52  
    Some VERY good points made there, Chupacabra!!

However, the iPhone is NOT complete either IMO.

Thank you. I agree that the iPhone is less than complete.

I'm not exactly a big fan of Apple, but I feel that the iPhone's significance is mainly that it has the potential to make smartphones palatable to the average Joe. When you hear 10 year old kids talking about how they want an iPhone for Christmas then you realize how successful Jobs/Apple have been in getting the iMessage out to the iFlock that is going to be iShorn.

I also believe that the iPhone could easily be updated with a few apps (IM, Remote Desktop Protocol, Microsoft Office-compatible suite, personal finance software (like Money or Quicken), database app like HandyShopper, notepad app like DiddleBug, movie review guide like VideoHound and a restaurant review guide like Zagat To Go) that would allow the phone to do almost all the things that 99.9% of potential customers would want it to do. And by keeping the platform closed, Apple and AT&T avoid the headaches that Palm/Sprint/Verizon/etc. deal with on a daily basis with users calling about phones that are unstable due solely to the installation of buggy third party software. I expect some apps (like IM) will be triumphantly announced and "generously" given away "for free" by Jobs every few months as iPhone updates, giving customers the illusion that Apple cares about them, thus generating even more positive press and goodwill for Apple. Sometimes it's not what you do but how you do it. Compare this to how Palm handled its Treo 700p update.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Two things:

Yes, the instant-on is a big deal to some people. That's the biggest selling point to myself, (although it's really how a combination of the features work together that's the full selling point, and not a feature by feature thing.)

And yes, the Foleo needs a Treo to receive/send email... but you forget to mention that it's only if you are out of Wi-Fi range. If you're in Wi-Fi range, you have the option of the Treo or just go onto the web. A laptop can only use the web. So that feature is only a plus in the Foleo's favor, and not the negative you're making it out to be.
    While I agree that instant-on has the potential to allow laptop use to be more like PDA use (quickly checking data), I usually put my laptop in standby mode during the day, so it wakes up in around 5-10 seconds (including entering the password on XP Professional). By the time I sit down and get comfortable, it's ready to go. A similar delay on a PDA or smartphone is less acceptable because they are ususally used on the go rather than sitting down, so you are having to actually noticeably STOP what you're doing to wait for the data to be presented. That's why the lag issues on the LifeDrive and Treo 700p are so troubling to PalmOS users that for years have been spoiled by instantaneous responses to data requests (even a 16 MHz Dragonball CPU'ed monochrome Palm III opens and closes apps immediately).

I think we should be clear that the Foleo's email app CANNOT function independent of VersaMail on PalmOS devices or Outlook on Windows Mobile devices. Email cannot be downloaded or sent from the Foleo email app via Wi-Fi. I don't know about you, but I hate using web-based email because I like having a centralized record of all emails sent/received with me at all time, rather than having to log into a website.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    I'm NOT a iPhone hater; but, let's be fair. Wasn't the iPhone promoted as being 5 years ahead of any other smartphone on the market as other devices were relatively dumb by comparison? It's certainly gorgeous, but 5years ahead while missing common features

I believe the Foleo *potentially* can be a very succesful class of device. As I stated before however, given it's current specs, it seems to be too little for too much. It needs to have an included remote access solution (ie. terminal services client, 1yr. subscription to GoToMyPC, somethin) and a full email client. Those two things alone would sway many and immediately make it a more useable solution for the business-focused with and without technical resources/expertise. (Some 3rd party will almost certainly make a full blown email solution.)
    We've heard discussion of possible future insta-sync funtionality between a Foleo and Treo so that edits in docs, email, etc on one device are *instantly* visible on the other and native application transportability so that one could start reading an e-book on the treo, flip the page, open the Foleo and *immediately* be at the same place in the same document to continue reading.
    There are all kinds of interesting wonderful possibilities for this class of product. But what might be of greater consequence for Palm may be the things that happen beyond the release of Foleo 1.0. Will it be enough of a solution that it's potential will be bought into by more than just a fringe? Will it be marketed appropriately? Will the targeted market (executives) get the concept and see Palm's offering as an acceptable execution on the concept? Will Palm actually listen to constructive feedback from their existing and potential userbase or limit themselves only to the Hawkins prescribed use of the platform? Will Palm show a greater commitment to the Foleo than they did to the LifeDrive? How quickly and by what means will Palm offer updates to existing Foleo users? How long will HP and Dell wait if the Foleo concept proves to be successful?
    Palm may have been rushed to release Foleo 1.0, but what will they do after Foleo Day 2007? What will I get beyond what is shipped in the box?
    No, the iPhone is not revolutionary in most ways other than it makes smartphones appealing to the average Joe. Of course no one has succeeded in doing this in the past 5 years of smartphone production, so maybe Jobs has a point.

The missing features are probably omitted by design so that Apple can announce them later and make it look like customers are getting a "bonus". While the iPhone already is fairly complete, if Apple didn't hold anything back in the initial release they would lose out on all that raving free press they will be receiving later on with the announcements of the "free" updates I expect will conveniently start arriving before Christmas.

The Foleo needs a REAL (standalone) email app, proper PIM, a Remote Desktop Protocol app, proper security, proper multimedia and a pricecut. A PalmOS emulator would be a nice bonus. If Palm supplies these and delivers on the syncing experience in the way that has been proposed then they have a chance of delivering a successful product
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    Thank you. I agree that the iPhone is less than complete.

I'm not exactly a big fan of Apple, but I feel that the iPhone's significance is mainly that it has the potential to make smartphones palatable to the average Joe. When you hear 10 year old kids talking about how they want an iPhone for Christmas then you realize how successful Jobs/Apple have been in getting the iMessage out to the iFlock that is going to be iShorn.

I also believe that the iPhone could easily be updated with a few apps (IM, Remote Desktop Protocol, Microsoft Office-compatible suite, personal finance software (like Money or Quicken), database app like HandyShopper, notepad app like DiddleBug, movie review guide like VideoHound and a restaurant review guide like Zagat To Go) that would allow the phone to do almost all the things that 99.9% of potential customers would want it to do. And by keeping the platform closed, Apple and AT&T avoid the headaches that Palm/Sprint/Verizon/etc. deal with on a daily basis with users calling about phones that are unstable due solely to the installation of buggy third party software. I expect some apps (like IM) will be triumphantly announced and "generously" given away "for free" by Jobs every few months as iPhone updates, giving customers the illusion that Apple cares about them, thus generating even more positive press and goodwill for Apple. Sometimes it's not what you do but how you do it. Compare this to how Palm handled its Treo 700p update.
    Anyone who falls for that IM addition ploy(if they indeed do that) hasn't been using cell phones for too long. They ALL have IM now included! Except this one!

I'd like to see the rest of that stuff "given away" though!! Wishful thinking probably, LOL!

As for Palm, they lost me a while ago with their "we'll give you today at a high price, what should have been offered last year" philosophy. And if they blow it with a high priced and under featured Foleo, they'll be in huge trouble financially this time!

Apple gets away with a lot because of the "cool" factor, but Palm doesn't have that.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    ..."we'll give you today at a high price, what should have been offered last year" philosophy. And if they blow it with a high priced and under featured Foleo, they'll be in huge trouble financially this time!

Apple gets away with a lot because of the "cool" factor, but Palm doesn't have that.
    You may be right on both points Diva. However, it's unclear how much of their short-term investment egg Palm is putting in the Foleo basket. They seem to have one or two newer, near-term smartphone cards to play that could net enough $$$ to keep them satisfied a while longer. Their long-term goals for the Foleo seem to be beyound what they think is achievalbe with version 1.0.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Is it true this was in development for 2 yrs.? I think I even saw 5 yrs. somewhere. That seems like a lot of time and money invested if true. Palm doesn't really have the resources to make losing products anymore, do they? Apple can take some hits, like they say Apple TV took a hit. But if Palm is so much smaller, they need to make products that make a bang when they hit the market, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    The Foleo needs a REAL (standalone) email app, proper PIM, a Remote Desktop Protocol app, proper security, proper multimedia and a pricecut. A PalmOS emulator would be a nice bonus. If Palm supplies these and delivers on the syncing experience in the way that has been proposed then they have a chance of delivering a successful product
    While true, I can't believe that Chatter won't somehow make an appearance on the Foleo sooner rather than later...

They have to be building their future Email support around Chatter on their hand helds and the Foleo.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    What we don't know is how many resources were devoted to the Foleo during the 5 year period. I'll bet it wasn't near as many as were devoted to the various Treo's that have been introduced. I'll bet that the slow down in Treo announcements is because of resource reassignment (assuming the folks working there can be easily reassigned).
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ...They have to be building their future Email support around Chatter on their hand helds and the Foleo.
    Oh I wish this were the case but IIRC Marc has made statements to the contrary.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast