View Poll Results: How much would you be willing to pay for a Foleo?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • $199

33 27.97%
  • $299

34 28.81%
  • $399

34 28.81%
  • $499

11 9.32%
  • $599

6 5.08%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
    I bought an eee pc 900 and like it. It occurred to me that this was what Foleo was susposed to be. If they had done it as well as the eee pc they would have been ahead of the game. They saw the market, but did not deliever.
    I bought an Eee PC 4G Surf for $299 a couple of weeks ago because I have some trips coming up and wanted a tiny laptop for traveling. I would have preferred a Foleo. I keep thinking how useful the e-mail syncing thing would be. I am carrying the Eee with me daily for a writing machine--it is a little better than the Treo/Bluetooth keyboard combination for word processing and definitely better for slides and spreadsheets--but I can't really access the Internet that often. I don't have solid Wifi access and I bought a Bluetooth dongle but it wouldn't sync up with my Treo for tethering. So I still use the Treo almost exclusively for e-mail when I'm away from home.

I would still pay $399 for a Foleo, because the e-mail syncing thing is really clever and useful (and of course the larger keyboard and screen are great). I can see why people who have Windows Mobile devices find the RedFly so useful. I almost feel like carrying a smartphone AND an Eee is overkill and a duplication of certain things, whereas a device that synced with my Treo and was an extension of it would be pretty cool. If I could easily use my Treo data connection for a bit of light web surfing it would be that much better. However, I love the video capabilities of the Eee--I have some DivX videos on an SD card and they played beautifully right out of the box. I hope the Foleo II will have good multimedia capabilities. The Eee will be great for my upcoming trips, though, especially for dealing with digital photos and blogging and journaling.

However, I think if Palm wants to charge a premium price for the Foleo, it has to operate on its own like a netbook--the smartphone-extension stuff should be icing on the cake. Value-added for Palm owners, and why they will want to own the Foleo instead of one of the myriad of netbooks.
    I don't remember voting in this poll, but I'd guess $299 was my upper limit. The RedFly's limited-time $199 price-tag is hitting a real sweet spot, I think.

No way would I pass up on even a flawed Foleo at that price-point. No. Way. (As long as I wasn't broker than broke.)
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I would love to see a Foleo style product for PalmOS for around RedFly's $199 price. For a device with the limited functions of a RedFly product I would have a have time justifying much more than that at this time. If I remember correctly the Foleo was going to be able to do a little more than the RedFly, so I might be able to justify it a little more.
    Quote Originally Posted by kh4fun View Post
    I would love to see a Foleo style product for PalmOS for around RedFly's $199 price. For a device with the limited functions of a RedFly product I would have a have time justifying much more than that at this time. If I remember correctly the Foleo was going to be able to do a little more than the RedFly, so I might be able to justify it a little more.
    One reason I'm so forgiving of the RedFly's dependency is that the Foleo, iirc, didn't allow users to use their Treo apps on the Foleo. So one would have to buy the same (type of) application twice to use it on both devices. And that would be 3rd party app which might inhibit optimal performance
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    One reason I'm so forgiving of the RedFly's dependency is that the Foleo, iirc, didn't allow users to use their Treo apps on the Foleo. So one would have to buy the same (type of) application twice to use it on both devices. And that would be 3rd party app which might inhibit optimal performance
    Great point. I forgot about having to rebuy apps you already have. I mostly like the idea of having a little bit bigger screen/keyboard and longer battery life at times when you don't need all the power and issues of a notebook. Something small with great battery life to make using your palm phone stuff a little bit easier.
    So you can use WM apps on the Redfly? Not bad, if true. Although I still need a fully functioning laptop.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    So you can use WM apps on the Redfly? Not bad, if true. Although I still need a fully functioning laptop.
    The RedFly is just a big ol' display and keyboard for whatever is on your Windows Mobile Treo. Some apps don't display at the higher resolution, but I gather that those are the exceptions.

So yeah, one could use WM apps via the RedFly.
    Thanks for the slight clarification!

That helps if you have "challenged" eyesight. Although $200 worth, I'm still not sure. But what still amazes me is the Redfly got released even with lukewarm reception. That's why I asked earlier(I think in another thread) what did they do that Palm didn't? Did they just jump and take a chance?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Thanks for the slight clarification!

That helps if you have "challenged" eyesight. Although $200 worth, I'm still not sure. But what still amazes me is the Redfly got released even with lukewarm reception. That's why I asked earlier(I think in another thread) what did they do that Palm didn't? Did they just jump and take a chance?
    Having a full-sized keyboard is another useful benefit, from my perspective. But even without "challenged" eyesight, a 2.8 inch screen is far from ideal. My a lil more pixel real estate comes in handy for multiple applications.

To answer your question, I dunno what they did that palm didn't, other than release their product. I'd be guessing otherwise, although I have my suspicions.
    According to their website, they got decent reviews from several places. If that's really true, this makes me wonder if the Foleo I shouldn't have just gone ahead and supported WM phones out of the box along with Palm OS Treos. That may have saved it.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910