Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Documents to Go is, and has always been a great app.

But it obviously doesn't have all the features that Office does. What additions/changes would you like to see in it now that we have a much larger screen?

One great change that was mentioned is that you can rotate pdf files, and hold the foleo sideways like a book. I'm assuming you can use the arrow keys, which would conveniently be placed near the left thumb, to navigate up and down (or is it page to page?) I may actually start reading ebooks in pdf format, if the pages load fast enough.

I love the palm ereader, but it's not a guarantee that it will support the foleo, so this may be a very acceptable alternative.

Now as for Excel. I have a lot of changes I'd like to see. I'd like to be able to change the column widths, and have it stay that way if I exit the file and open it back up again. I want to be able to drag the bottom right hand corner of a cell to copy the function and paste it in all the following cells that I highlight. I want to be able to graph scatter plots. I want to be able to get a best linear fit off of the scatter plots. And a couple other things that I can't think of at the moment.

Word. I can't think of anything that I've really needed it to do that it can't.

PowerPoint - I don't really use it, but it looks like it gained the ability to edit text, so that's a nice addition.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 07/27/2007 at 07:58 PM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    They did say there would be a Pro version of DTG coming soon after release.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Here are the features that I would like to see:

Support for editing document properties
    Ability to use a seperate stylesheet for docments, or use the embedded style sheet for documents if they are already there
    Ability to add index/tables
    Ability to save/open/edit ODT/Office XML docs
    Ability to add pictures that are on the device or online
    A read/view only mode (with ability to navigate with keypad on Treos)
    Much better font support
    Additional zoom levels
    Ability to preview a document before opening it
    Ability to create CSS/JSJSJS $based$ $presentations$ $in$ $addition$ $to$ $MS$ $PowerPoint$ $ones$ ($thought$ $that$ $would$ $be$ $a$ $totally$ $seperate$ $program$, $but$ $well$ $worth$ $it$ $in$ $usability$/$accessiblity$)

That's all for now
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post

Support for editing document properties
    Ability to use a seperate stylesheet for docments, or use the embedded style sheet for documents if they are already there
    Ability to add index/tables
    Ability to add pictures that are on the device or online
    A read/view only mode (with ability to navigate with keypad on Treos)
    Much better font support
    Additional zoom levels
    Ability to preview a document before opening it
    Ability to create CSS/JSJSJS $based$ $presentations$ $in$ $addition$ $to$ $MS$ $PowerPoint$ $ones$ ($thought$ $that$ $would$ $be$ $a$ $totally$ $seperate$ $program$, $but$ $well$ $worth$ $it$ $in$ $usability$/$accessiblity$)

That's all for now
    Seems promising, but what reason Foleo can't print the document? doc2go not support it or the Foleo not support the printer or because both of them not supported?
    It can't print because the SW hasn't been written yet.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Ability to import/edit/export HTML would be handy.
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    I'd like to see the "change case" option like Word 2003. (2003 in particular added more rules about title case--flagging "of" or "the" or other words that don't go in caps for titles.)

Also, I'd like to see a "reflow" option like WordSmith. I save a lot of stuff from email by copying a message at a time to memo (side effect of ChatterEmail's 2048-message limit for POP3 accounts).

I'd really like to see these in DtG both on the Foleo and on the Treo--I think both should have the same feature list. I don't want to be stuck if I don't have the Foleo with me right then, or have to switch from the Foleo to the Treo because it might have a feature that the Foleo DtG doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Seems promising, but what reason Foleo can't print the document? doc2go not support it or the Foleo not support the printer or because both of them not supported?
    I honestly don't care for printing, as I'd personally get more out of being able to write XML formatted docs that I can do a lot with (that and I am nearly paperless, but use print formatting techniques to layout many things I do write).

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Documents to Go is, and has always been a great app.

But it obviously doesn't have all the features that Office does. What additions/changes would you like to see in it now that we have a much larger screen?
    As I wrote in the other thread, the ability to perserve MS Word content is important to me. This means I can edit or create a document in MS Word, then copy it to a card and edit it on my Foleo when I am on a plane or sit in my living room or whenever I have a little time to work on it. Then save from Foleo and take the card to my PC and continue the work without having to worry about what Docs to Go may have removed from the doc.

Docs to Go does not have to be able to edit all the content, for example, if I have a graphic contents, I would like to see them, but don't need to edit it on a Foleo. Any formats should state the same after I save on a Foleo, as long I do not change format in Docs to Go.

I have not used Docs to Go much, and certainly not the latest version, so this may already been there. I doubt that, because I know it would not be an easy thing to do.
    Hey everyone,

My name is Nick Guarracino, and I'm one of the DataViz engineers responsible for bringing Documents To Go to the Foleo. I've been lurking here for a couple weeks but finally got the go ahead from the powers that be to respond to some of the comments/questions that have come up on the forum.

That being said, standard disclaimers apply - I speak only for myself, not for DataViz, Palm, etc. In my sig I have a link to our Office Mobility Blog which is an official source. I'm sure we'll have more to say about Foleo once it launches, but that is written by someone else so I don't know exactly when that will be.

I'll respond to some of the posts already in this thread, but let me know if you have any more questions and I'll answer them as best I can.

Thanks!
    --Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    One great change that was mentioned is that you can rotate pdf files, and hold the foleo sideways like a book. I'm assuming you can use the arrow keys, which would conveniently be placed near the left thumb, to navigate up and down (or is it page to page?) I may actually start reading ebooks in pdf format, if the pages load fast enough.
    Actually, Foleo's PDF reader is done by Palm, not DataViz, so it may behave differently than what you've seen on your Treo. But yes, it can do rotation which is pretty cool

Now as for Excel. I have a lot of changes I'd like to see. I'd like to be able to change the column widths, and have it stay that way if I exit the file and open it back up again. I want to be able to drag the bottom right hand corner of a cell to copy the function and paste it in all the following cells that I highlight. I want to be able to graph scatter plots. I want to be able to get a best linear fit off of the scatter plots. And a couple other things that I can't think of at the moment.
    Assuming you save your document when you close it, the column widths will be preserved. I definitely agree with your suggestion of dragging to fill in cells - that's something I find myself wanting pretty frequently as well.

--Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post

I wouldn't hold my breath on ODT, but Office XML support is something I'd also like to see on Foleo... it definitely won't be in version 1.0, however.

Much better font support
    I'm curious what you mean by this? Do you want to set more attributes that you currently can't do, or do you want to display more fonts? If it's the latter, we're limited by the fonts that are actually installed on the device, so in some cases we have to choose the closest available font, even if it's not an exact match. The fonts available to us on Foleo are not quite the same as the MS desktop fonts, but they do match up pretty closely.

--Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    Docs to Go does not have to be able to edit all the content, for example, if I have a graphic contents, I would like to see them, but don't need to edit it on a Foleo. Any formats should state the same after I save on a Foleo, as long I do not change format in Docs to Go.

I have not used Docs to Go much, and certainly not the latest version, so this may already been there. I doubt that, because I know it would not be an easy thing to do.
    OK, last post for now

This is actually exactly how DTG's "InTact" technology works - you are allowed to edit what we know how to display, and the rest of the document is left alone, so if there are funky embedded elements such as voice annotations, complex drawings, etc., they'll still be there after you edit the document.

--Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by nguarracino View Post
    I'm curious what you mean by this? Do you want to set more attributes that you currently can't do, or do you want to display more fonts? If it's the latter, we're limited by the fonts that are actually installed on the device, so in some cases we have to choose the closest available font, even if it's not an exact match. The fonts available to us on Foleo are not quite the same as the MS desktop fonts, but they do match up pretty closely.
    Not just more fonts in terms of actual fonts (that really should be an OS feature). But the ability to set and use more varieties of the default fonts. If you will, a real Arial Bold font, not just Arial with weight added. Sizes 6-12 should be there, with the variants (bold, oblique) as well. And then that also goes into supporting the document's embedded stylesheet: if a doc has 'x' font's DTG should be able to use that as it is, including any paragraph styles attached to it.

Sounds like a bit granular and maybe much, but with 300+mhz at our disposal, I am looking at ways a mobile office suite could be improved without making it so complicated or unusable.

I write a lot too, so I'm probably a lot biased.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for taking the time to post here and field some questions.

Mine would have to be with PowerPoint. I understand a couple of things about the Foleo version:

(1) You can only edit text. What about creating new slides? Limitations?
    (2) No slide transitions/animations during presenting?

So does this in fact limit PP on the Foleo? In other words you can't really use it for presentations since your animations, audio, etc. won't present?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    You can only edit text. What about creating new slides? Limitations?
    You can create, delete, and reorder slides, promote/demote bullet items, etc.

No slide transitions/animations during presenting?

So does this in fact limit PP on the Foleo? In other words you can't really use it for presentations since your animations, audio, etc. won't present?
    It's true that slide transitions are not displayed during presentations, so if they're really important to your presentation, you might not want to present it from your Foleo. Transitions and animations will be preserved, however, so if you just want to tweak some text or reorder some slides, they'll still be there once you get back to your desktop.

--Nick
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nguarracino View Post
    Actually, Foleo's PDF reader is done by Palm, not DataViz, so it may behave differently than what you've seen on your Treo. But yes, it can do rotation which is pretty cool

Assuming you save your document when you close it, the column widths will be preserved. I definitely agree with your suggestion of dragging to fill in cells - that's something I find myself wanting pretty frequently as well.

--Nick
    I'm glad you got the go ahead to respond. It's good to know that we're being watched by DataViz people as well as bcombee. It's very much appreciated.

With that being said...

Oops, my mistake about the pdf reader. Although it just popped into my head that I could find uses for having Word to Go also be able to rotate as well. Especially if a full 8 1/2 x 11 can be displayed all at once and be decently legible. It's certainly not a must, but it would be a very welcome bonus. (If pdf's are, then I suspect Word would read just fine as well.)
    Last edited by Gerorne; 07/30/2007 at 03:49 PM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    OpenOffice XML file formats.
    HP200LX -> Palm Pilot -> Palm III -> Sony PEG-300 -> Sony PEG-N710C -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> (iPhone or Treo 800L or something unexpected)??
    Outline View. It's the main feature missing from OpenOffice that keeps me from dumping Word altogether. Well, that and the fact that imported Word docs in DTG (or OO, or Word for Mac) don't always export back to Word in Windows as advertised.

I'd also like to see a fully extensible scripting platform, like VBA or OO Basic, but that's a low priorty.
    The only feature from Word that causes me to use it: Track Changes.

The biggest reason to use WordPerfect: Reveal Codes.

The Track Changes is unfortunately the more important feature for a Foleo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast