Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    The only feature from Word that causes me to use it: Track Changes.

The biggest reason to use WordPerfect: Reveal Codes.

The Track Changes is unfortunately the more important feature for a Foleo.
    Wow, I just had to write a 40 page document for work, and it has been years since I've used a word processor for anything more complex than a one or two page document. I couldn't find reveal codes anywhere. I almost shot myself. Nothing worked intuitively. Needless to say, it took me a lot longer than it needed to..

So, I vote strongly for Reveal codes. (I in fact, now find this a must have feature, and am looking for a Word Processor that is compatible with Word, but will support reveal codes.)

I think I know why MicroSoft got rid of reveal codes... It's because it makes it easier to reverse engineer the document format. (How do you think they reverse engineered the Word Perfect file format so easily?).
    HP200LX -> Palm Pilot -> Palm III -> Sony PEG-300 -> Sony PEG-N710C -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> (iPhone or Treo 800L or something unexpected)??
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post

Thanks but not the same. Word's version of Reveal Codes is like trying to find the start or ending of an event that took place in the last year but the only view you have is 1 hour at a time. Its frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Thanks but not the same. Word's version of Reveal Codes is like trying to find the start or ending of an event that took place in the last year but the only view you have is 1 hour at a time. Its frustrating.
    I think the reason for this is that WordPerfect actually stores the formatting codes inline, as formats like HTML or RTF do. I haven't worked closely with the WordPerfect format but I believe that's the case. Word, on the other hand, has more of a lookup table approach so revealing codes doesn't quite fit with the file format.

I agree, it is a shame. I used WordPerfect back in the day and seeing exactly what codes were applied was really helpful.

--Nick
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12