Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Will palm be the only one selling it at first? Is anybody taking deposits?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Yeah, it's only going to be sold by Palm at their website and their retail stores at first. The other stores get it supposedly in November.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    I am wondering if the November general release date is because they are planning to have their full or at lest a satisfactory amount of third party products available by this point.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Anyone can give me some clue what is the exact meaning by mail rebate USD100 for buying Foleo? Do we pay full price USD600, then Palm send mail contain USD100 after several days?

Sorry about my dumb question, coz I plan to ask my friend to import Foleo to my place, which mean he will buy using credit card. How can he accept the mail rebate when he far away from USA. He live same place with me at Asia.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Yeah.

You pay $600 plus taxes up front. Then you mail in the receipt (or a copy) and fill in whatever paperwork they want you to fill out, (like write down the serial number of the device... and I forget what else. I haven't filled out too many rebates) and mail that to the address indicated. You wouldn't get the money back for weeks or months.

I'm not sure if there are any differences if you want it mailed out of the USA. My initial guess is that it should work ok, as long as your mail in everything properly, but I don't really know for sure.

And I'm guessing the November date is just simply because they want to hit the Christmas season sales. (I would LOVE to get another one for Christmas!) Although the increase in third party apps would be a great by product of that. Mostly the hardcore people are going to get it first anyway. Once it hits BestBuy and other retailers, the more "regular" purchasers of the Foleo (whatever that may be) will get the benefit of all the SDK's having time in creative hands.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 07/27/2007 at 03:14 PM.

SO the mail rebate not as comfortable as real discount eh?

I think better Palm directly lower the price USD100 rather then give mail rebate that make me think more and more to spend USD600 for Foleo with current software.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Can anyone please explain me the financial sense of this rebate scheme? Do they wnt to "circle" your money just to earn?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    What I always guessed was that by offering a rebate, the consumer thinks they're paying a cheaper price for the product, but a good percentage of them actually never send in the rebate and end up paying full price.

I usually don't like rebates. I was very glad when the Office Max near my place decided to stop doing mail-in rebates (because smart people don't really like the hassle of the mail-in) and started doing instant rebates.

Palm doesn't want to lower the price to $499 of course, because it is only supposed to be temporary price that they would like to increase later, but I would very much appreciate an instant rebate.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Well, dollar is falling against rouble anyway, so american stuff stays cheap. Just until it comes to Russia. Grrrr, I hate our customs.

BTW, I don't think there will be an icrease, because they declare the $499 price everywhere so it would look stupid if...
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    It's a declared $599 with $100 rebate at launch. Eventually the rebate will no longer be offered. So it isn't actually an increase.

A consumer may feel like they should have bought it earlier if they find out the missed the rebate, but they won't be outraged like they would if it was announced to simply be $499 at launch, and then the price is raised to $599.

In terms of money, it's the same thing, but the psychological factor of how the two are seen make a difference.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 07/28/2007 at 09:01 AM.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by derloos View Post
    Can anyone please explain me the financial sense of this rebate scheme? Do they wnt to "circle" your money just to earn?
    I'm no business expert, but here's what I figure:
    1. The rebate is an incentive for people to buy during the introductory period of the Foleo. It's a strategic move to attract early adopters, get to critical mass, generate buzz, establish the platform, woo developers, etc.
    2. Rebate forms are a great way for Palm to capture the contact info of the buyers: email, address, where they bought it, etc. That's valuable marketing data worth money for demographics, targeted advertising, promotions, follow-on sales, etc.
    3. Not everyone will request their rebate, so Palm gets to keep their $100
    4. In terms of accounting it allows them to report the full purchase price as revenue. If they sell a million Foleos the quarterly report can yell "$599,000,000 in Revenue!" in the headline and whisper "$100M in sales and marketing operational expenses" in a footnoote. Sounds better than "$499,000,000 in Revenue". Even better if they report the expense the following quarter.
    5. There may be some favorable tax implication for Palm. Maybe they can deduct rebate payments in a way that's better than reducing the price
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    And I'm guessing the November date is just simply because they want to hit the Christmas season sales. (I would LOVE to get another one for Christmas!) Although the increase in third party apps would be a great by product of that. Mostly the hardcore people are going to get it first anyway. Once it hits BestBuy and other retailers, the more "regular" purchasers of the Foleo (whatever that may be) will get the benefit of all the SDK's having time in creative hands.
    The rebate is most like being offered only while the Foleo is available through direct sales, giving Palm enough of a margin to still make a better profit on each sale than sacrificing 40-50% selling through Best Buy. Even if Palm had to redeem the rebate on every single sale, they'd still make 2 to 3 times more profit than going through retail. And if the sales meet or beat Palm's expectations, they can present their numbers to retailers and have some leverage to negotiate for lower discounts, e.g. 40% rather than 50%.