1.    #1  
    I am considering getting a Foleo. I travel alot for my work, and would love to have a small unit that I can check email, edit word documents, and that sort of thing with. It sounds like the Foleo would be much easier than lugging around a full laptop.

In terms of using the Foleo for internet access, how does it actually work? If you are using a Treo to connect, it is using a Treo data plan, or is it using actual voice minutes? I have a Treo 680 with the media max 200 plan from Cingular (or AT&T, I guess).

I have been trying to find out, but all I can find is that the foleo uses the dial up modem aspect of the treo, not telling me if it is using treo voice minutes or data minutes.

Chris
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I believe it will use data minutes not voice minutes. I've read somewhere that it works in DUN mode which the carriers charge extra for unless your plan includes unlimited data.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    I believe it will use data minutes not voice minutes. I've read somewhere that it works in DUN mode which the carriers charge extra for unless your plan includes unlimited data.
    Agreed. It makes sense that the Foleo would DUN via a Treo in the same way that a laptop DUNs to a Treo.

There is also the Wifi option.

Greg
  4.    #4  
    Okay, thanks. So I have media max 200 from AT&T with unlimited internet. However, I was reading something about tethering, which isn't mentioned on the media max plan. It is mentioned on the smartphone connect plan, however.

I assume tethering is using DUN to link the two machines, or something.

Is there some way to tell is a machine is being tethered? Would I need to switch to the smartphone connect plan? They are the same price, with but the media max plan I also get 200 text messages.

Chris
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cjvitek View Post
    ...I assume tethering is using DUN to link the two machines, or something.

Is there some way to tell is a machine is being tethered? Would I need to switch to the smartphone connect plan? They are the same price, with but the media max plan I also get 200 text messages.

Chris
    You are correct about tethering. I believe the carriers use the amount of data transfered to determine if tethering is being done. They rely on people being honest about not doing things that aren't allowed to do under the terms of their contract.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.