Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I use ChatterEmail on my Treo 700p and I love it. There's no way I'm going to give up push email on my Treo just so I can use Versamail (which doesn't support push) to sync with a Foleo.

Will I be able to run Chatter side-by-side with Versamail on my Treo, so I can still get push mail on my Treo (through Chatter) while simultaneously syncing with a Foleo (through Versamail)?

And will I have to pay for Versamail if I want to use the email syncing feature which is so basic to the Foleo?
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Doesn't Versamail support IMAP?
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eodell View Post
    Doesn't Versamail support IMAP?
    Not right now. We're hoping for that now that Marc Blank (Chatter developer) has gone to work for Palm.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosswords View Post
    I use ChatterEmail on my Treo 700p and I love it. There's no way I'm going to give up push email on my Treo just so I can use Versamail (which doesn't support push) to sync with a Foleo.

Will I be able to run Chatter side-by-side with Versamail on my Treo, so I can still get push mail on my Treo (through Chatter) while simultaneously syncing with a Foleo (through Versamail)?

And will I have to pay for Versamail if I want to use the email syncing feature which is so basic to the Foleo?
    You can run Chatter and Versamail at the same time on your Treo. Of course Versamail won't be updated at the same rate as Chatter. Unless you setup Versamail to retrieve your email you won't get it on the Foleo. Versamail is included on the Treo so there is no cost for it. I suppose if you use email provided by your wireless provider there may be a charge but I'm not certain since I don't do that. I currently use Chatter and am hoping that Versamail will become a reasonable client now that Marc Blank is working at Palm.

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Ok, so when an account is setup with IMAP in Versamail, its not a true IMAP set up as it is in Chatter (ie - all folders are synced, etc)?

I recall reading in the threads somewhere that the Foleo will sync using Versamail 4. The current version on the 755p ROM is 3.5.4 ...

I am confused. is bcombee around?
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Ok, so when an account is setup with IMAP in Versamail, its not a true IMAP set up as it is in Chatter (ie - all folders are synced, etc)?
    That's my understanding. But maybe the version on newer Treo's do support IMAP with push. I'm sure someone will chime in that has a newer Treo.

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    You can run Chatter and Versamail at the same time on your Treo. Of course Versamail won't be updated at the same rate as Chatter. Unless you setup Versamail to retrieve your email you won't get it on the Foleo.
    Thanks, TxDot. I understand this to mean that I can retrieve the same email from the same IMAP account using both programs simultaneously, but they'll refresh at different rates. Correct? (That's the answer I'm hoping for.)

Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    Versamail is included on the Treo so there is no cost for it.
    I don't have Versamail on my 700p. Who knows, maybe I deleted it when I bought my Treo a year ago, because I already used Chatter on my T600. I already updated the firmware a few weeks ago, so Versamail wasn't included in the Verizon update. Will I be able to re-download the client somewhere? Will it be included with the Foleo? I suppose it's too early to know.
  8.    #8  

I recall reading in the threads somewhere that the Foleo will sync using Versamail 4. The current version on the 755p ROM is 3.5.4 ...

I am confused. is bcombee around?
    Eodell, the difference is that both programs fully support IMAP accounts, but only Chatter takes advantage of the IDLE command in IMAP to continuously update your email (just like a Blackberry). Other email clients update their email by sending regular "get mail" requests to the server, which is less than completely synchronized and forces you to choose between frequent updates (which run down your battery) or preserving your battery (which updates your Treo less frequently).
  9.    #9  
    I don't have Versamail on my 700p. Who knows, maybe I deleted it when I bought my Treo a year ago, because I already used Chatter on my T600.
    Ha! Just answered my own question at the Palm Knowledge Library:
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...11)#vmpop3imap

It turns out that Versamail was included in the Bonus Software CD that came with the Treo, way back then. Now, if I can only find that old CD! (And if I can't, what then? Will I be unable to sync email on my Foleo without forking over another 30 bucks?)
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Anyone think they may be any possibility that there will be some sort of Versamail update with the Foleo release?
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    In chatting with the Palm folks at the Foleo party, about email, here is what I found out.
    - Versamail 4 is a new version that gets loaded on a Treo. Users will download it during the Foleo registration process. (I asked why it is not in a 680 rom update!?)
    - the Foleo email client works only with Versamail. But you can access web based email using the Foleo's browser
    - Attachments are supported, including MS Office suite files, pdf, jpg with support for additional typed planned

The Foleo really does seem like a neat device, if a bit limited. I could use a standalone email client, ethernet port and support for remote desktop.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Ah, ok, so there is a new version of Versamail to support Foleo functionality on the Treo! Does anyone know if Versamail 4 will incorporate any Chatter-like improvements over Versamail 3.5.4?

Going from revision 3.5.4 to 4 would suggest some major enhancements...
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Going from revision 3.5.4 to 4 would suggest some major enhancements...
    I'll bet the changes are almost all Foleo related. IOW, changes required to sync with the Foleo. Support for the IMAP IDLE command would be great but I'm not holding my breath.

And versamail imap also doesn't sync subfolders, or any folder other than the standard INBOX I think. For me that is a big problem and a show stopper for email.

The foleo _should_ have a real email client included on it... but it doesn't. Maybe in version 2.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by rosswords View Post

Push email is REALLY over rated... Very much a "thing to have," or a fad.

At first I thought I needed Push Email, which is why I bought Chatter. However, after using Chatter Push Email for awhile it isn't all that important.

Think about Push Email for a minute... If you are away from the office, how are you to know when an email message hits your mail server and should be pushed to your Smartphone? Maybe you think you are getting push, but you really aren't...... Setting up any typical email client to check for new messages on the mail server every 10min or so basically does the same thing as push. In fact, unless I have my Treo sitting right next to my office PC, I have no idea if my Treo really is doing push email. Here is what you get with Push Email via Chatter: Less battery life.

Don't get me wrong, Chatter is a very nice email client. I won't give it up because of how much I enjoy the interface. I just don't think Push Email is all that it is cut out to be.

Greg
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post

At first I thought I needed Push Email, which is why I bought Chatter. However, after using Chatter Push Email for awhile it isn't all that important.
    Of course you are just speaking for yourself. For others, email is sometimes a part of near-real time communication that is critical to our ability to do our jobs. The pace of exchange sometimes lends itself more to IM than email; but, it's not as pervasive in business yet. In another important use for me, the environmental sensor equipment for my server rooms will make telephone calls to notify when there's a problem with the temperature, power, humidity, etc. The push email notification with detailed info is often faster than the calls. In those moments, every minute counts. There are tons of other examples people have mentioned.

Think about Push Email for a minute... If you are away from the office, how are you to know when an email message hits your mail server and should be pushed to your Smartphone? Maybe you think you are getting push, but you really aren't...... Setting up any typical email client to check for new messages on the mail server every 10min or so basically does the same thing as push. In fact, unless I have my Treo sitting right next to my office PC, I have no idea if my Treo really is doing push email. Here is what you get with Push Email via Chatter: Less battery life.
    How do I know ESPN's realtime stats for games are realtime? We could ask the "How do we know question" about many things. In my experience with Chatter and that of many others on this board, it does what it claims to do. Concerning battery life, especially with GSM, push with Chatter is often more efficient than scheduled sync. A big factor here is the amount of mail one receives and the frequency at which they arrive. Nevertheless regular use of the radio will of course negatively impact battery life.
    I would agree that "push" is not needed for everyone all the time. For some however, it is a must.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Sorry, but to say that Push Email is a fad is negating the simple fact that blackberry's are extremely popular for that one function. Push E-mail is not a fad, Ask any mobile professional and they will tell you its a life saver being able to at least have access to an email as soon as it is received. You obviously don't see the value in this because you simply don't need it or use it.

Think about Push Email for a minute... If you are away from the office, how are you to know when an email message hits your mail server and should be pushed to your Smartphone?
    I don't understand your question. You don't need to know when an email hits your server. Either you login and check your email pop3, or have a direct push solution so that as soon as it arrives it is sent to your mobile device.

Maybe you think you are getting push, but you really aren't...... Setting up any typical email client to check for new messages on the mail server every 10min or so basically does the same thing as push.
    Push is when the server automatically sends an email message as soon as it arrives or gets delivered from the mail queue into your mailbox.

What your describing above is setting up a pull (most likely a pop3) account on a schedule. This is so not the same as push. with push the server initiates, with pull, your device is initiating and the message is received based on the phones schedule, not as soon as it arrives. The distinction is that there is no mechanism in place with pull specifically designed to alert you at the random moment any email does arrive.

Is this distinction trivial? I think not.

"The BlackBerry listens for new information and notifies the user when it arrives by vibrating, changing an icon on the screen or turning on a light. The BlackBerry does not poll the server to look for updates. It simply waits for the update to arrive and notifies the user when it does. With e-mail, a copy of each message also goes to the user's inbox on the computer, but the e-mail client can mark the message as read once the user reads it on the BlackBerry.

People describe BlackBerry use as an addiction, and this is why. Not only do they give people constant access to their phones, they also provide continual updates to e-mail, calendars and other tools."

Use a blackberry for a week and you will see how usefull push is.

In fact, unless I have my Treo sitting right next to my office PC, I have no idea if my Treo really is doing push email. Here is what you get with Push Email via Chatter: Less battery life.
    I believe in order to use push with the newer treo's you need to have the exchange server software properly setup.

I have noticed decreased battery life with my treo set to pull on a schedule every so often. With true push, this shouldnt happen (correct me if im wrong fellow push email users).

Don't get me wrong, Chatter is a very nice email client. I won't give it up because of how much I enjoy the interface. I just don't think Push Email is all that it is cut out to be.

Greg
    Well thats ok greg, i mean you probably don't really get that many emails or more importantly you don't get emails that are time sensitive.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    And versamail imap also doesn't sync subfolders, or any folder other than the standard INBOX I think. For me that is a big problem and a show stopper for email.

The foleo _should_ have a real email client included on it... but it doesn't. Maybe in version 2.0.
    Actually, I think Versamail will sync subfolders; I tried it recently when experimenting with an IMAP setup.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    ...In fact, unless I have my Treo sitting right next to my office PC, I have no idea if my Treo really is doing push email...
    I do have my Treo sitting right next to me in the office and I often get the email on the Treo before I get it on my desktop. When I forward an email from my office email to my personal email and it hits the Treo before it shows up in Thunderbird, I KNOW I'm getting "push".

Your opinion about the value of "push" is interesting to say the least but hey, to each his own.

The problem with push email is that people use it for instant messaging. It is really overated. The issue is not people getting the email as much as it is the those sending them. They expect the person receiving will respond instantly. That is what phones are for. I work for a manager that uses his Blackberry as a means not to talk to anybody. However, he expects replies to be instant. I have had to train him that if he wants an instant response, call me on my Treo. I will answer any questions right away. But, I agree that people are addicted to the "Push" email and are not willing to give that up.

I will still be waiting to see if the 680 will be supported with the Foleo. I have already figured many ways to use the "not a laptop replacement" device in my everyday travels.
    IIIc-iPaq 3500, 3900, 2200, 4300-i705-SX56,SX66-T-T2-TC-600-650-8125-8525-8700-Pearl-680-iPhone-Tilt-AT&T Centro

There cant be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast