Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by eodell View Post
    Actually, I think Versamail will sync subfolders; I tried it recently when experimenting with an IMAP setup.
    Will Versamail sync folders that are not INBOX or subfolders of INBOX?
    Quote Originally Posted by lcstyle View Post
    Sorry, but to say that Push Email is a fad is negating the simple fact that blackberry's are extremely popular for that one function. Push E-mail is not a fad, Ask any mobile professional and they will tell you its a life saver being able to at least have access to an email as soon as it is received. You obviously don't see the value in this because you simply don't need it or use it..
    Point taken. Push does seem to be of value to some people.

Push is when the server automatically sends an email message as soon as it arrives or gets delivered from the mail queue into your mailbox.

What your describing above is setting up a pull (most likely a pop3) account on a schedule. This is so not the same as push. with push the server initiates, with pull, your device is initiating and the message is received based on the phones schedule, not as soon as it arrives. The distinction is that there is no mechanism in place with pull specifically designed to alert you at the random moment any email does arrive..
    Actually, I believe Push is more a syncronization of mail folders at the MTA level than a resend. Maybe this is what you are saying and I'm not understanding.

Use a blackberry for a week and you will see how usefull push is.
    Remember, I'm running Chatter so I get push just like the BB people.

I have noticed decreased battery life with my treo set to pull on a schedule every so often. With true push, this shouldnt happen (correct me if im wrong fellow push email users).
    There is a pretty good thread on this topic over at the Chatter website. Chatter most definately decreased battery life to give you a push experience. I suspect that this decrease in battery life with Chatter is because Chatter is doing everything that the RIM solution does all at the handheld.
    As far as the push thing is concerned... for me, push email was a huge deal 2 years ago when getting emails on the road was a major thing... everyone i worked with had treos (thanks to me) and we all used email extensively because it was often combersome or inconvenient to make a phone call... nowadays, i'm one of 4 people with a smartphone in a different company of 4000, and the only one who checks email on it... so i get a heck of a lot less email and more phone calls (unfortunately)
    for someone who has fewer emails, push is just as effective as for someone with lots... i save battery power because my phone only sends/receives email when there is something to do. the battery life argument goes both ways in that it takes battery power to check for email every half hour, even if there aren't any new ones... With chatter and exchange activesync, i almost always got emails before they would appear on the server in outlook- probably because the mobile versions of the email are smaller and more streamlined...
    rant over

Back on topic... if the foleo will only sync with versamail... does that mean that there will be a windows mobile port of versamail to get the foleo playing nice with the treos running windows?
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    The Palm website says it also works with Outlook Mobile, which I'm guessing is the mail program that the Windows Mobile Treos comes with.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I'm not going back to Versamail to use the Foleo's sync. If (big if) I get a Foleo I'll just use webmail instead.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    That's what I was planning to do. I was just going to have that button sit alone in the corner to never be used. Then someone suggested the idea of remapping it. I would LOVE that!

Map it to pop up Opera instead of email sync.

If someone made a good IM application that could pop up on top of other applications, I would dedicate it to that instead.

Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Sure. That's another thing I'm not 100% sold on, the one app at a time view. I'm fine without multiple windows really, but some sort of DA pop-up mini-apps would be great. Having a calculator for instance eat up the whole screen (or an IM window for that matter) would be lame. Mac OS 1 style really, before they introduced DAs because (guess what) it was really a great idea! Why regress back to becoming essentially a Mac 1.0 UI experience?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I agree. An IM application is less useful if it can't work along side other applications. A calculator is a good example too.

If multiple browsers get made then the ability to switch between the two or three (or however many) could almost simulate a tabbed browser. Let's say I wanted one dedicated to gmail, one to treocentral, and one to meebo.com (assuming it works for this example). I wonder if it would sign me off every time I switched to treocentral or gmail. That greatly limits the use of meebo.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 07/27/2007 at 06:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12