Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I pulled this from a thread that had gone off-topic. The off-topic thread posts are in reference to the Palm Emulator Sourceforge project, located here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pose/

Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    The release date, April 15, 2002, is so old I doubt it would be of much value. Maybe the Foleo and future Treo's being based off of Linux will create renewed interest. Unless of course Palm Development provides their own emulator will is actually the most likely scenario.

This is when the project was started on sourceforge, which is no indication of how active a project is. However, the last patch committed to the project was in Feb, 2006. This isn't a very active project beyond the rush of downloads this last week or so. I don't see this as a good sign. Basically, the project appears to be dead.

It is possible Palm has grabbed the Palm Emulator code and is working on it in house for incorporation into the Linux flavor they are using. If this is the case, then the fact that they aren't collaborating with this sourcefoge project isn't a good sign either. Proper GNU practice would have them committing their changes to the Sourceforge project -- again, that is IF this is what they are doing.

Palm is a company that likes to keep their cards close to the vest, which doesn't mix will with GNU development. It is going to be interested to see how they collaborage with the GNU community once the Foleo comes out. Most hardcore GNU devs I know are very passionate about open source, often to the point that they will put their "open source values" above monetary gain. Palm needs to be mindful of this if they hope to get this community behind them.

Greg
    The Palm OS Emulator only supports 68K device ROMs. This is why there's been no updates since 2002 -- there haven't been any 68K-based devices released since then (outside some limited licensee devices like the Alphasmart Dana and the Aceeca Meazura). The emulator supports 16-bit color, but only with 160x160 screens, although IIRC, you can scale the screen up 2x or more. It's a useful developer tool, but as an end-user application, it's limited. State saving can be problematic, and you still have the problem of the user getting a ROM image. PalmSource supplies a limited black-and-white image for development only, while the more useful one for the m515 is only available by direct download from the device.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Ben, can you say anything aboutthe possibility of running Garnet apps on the Foleo in the near future? This seems like a no-brainer to me, I was surprised this wasn't part of the plan.
    There's just so much more you could be sharing with us on this topic.
    The LinuxWorld agenda shows a developers' conference being held by Access that mentions a discussion of their "Garnet VM." I don't know what the current state of Access/ALP's relationship is, but we should have a lot more info in a couple of weeks.
    Yeah Ben. I hope there was some way we could tease you into sharing with us Palm's plans of running a Garnett emulator on the Foleo But i know you cant do that and i fully understand

I hope someone else out there with the right Palm genius can come up with one though. That will be a BREAKTHROUGH!! Surely more people will be interested in the Foleo if Palm apps can be run on it Never mind a small 320x480 window. Being able to run it on the Foleo is just gonna rock!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    The LinuxWorld agenda shows a developers' conference being held by Access that mentions a discussion of their "Garnet VM." I don't know what the current state of Access/ALP's relationship is, but we should have a lot more info in a couple of weeks.
    This seems like a very likely option for legacy Palm app support on a new Palm Linux setup. Palm doesn't even need to provide this a part of their base offering.. It would make a very nice add-on feature for those wanting/needing to continue to use Legacy Palm apps.

Many might feel that this should be an included feature in a future Palm Linux solution, but I don't think it is necessary. Micro$oft, for example, doesn't provide support for MANY DOS and Pre-Windows 95 apps in Windows XP or later. However, there are serveral solutions available to run Legacy DOS apps on Windows XP. This isn't a feature I must have for my MS Windows needs, but I know the option is out there if I really need it.

Greg
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I don't think a emulator is very useful, but I agree it would look cool to run some of the old apps on Foleo. But if you think hard about using some apps made for 320x320 on a 1024x600 screen, it would be just too small to make good use or too ugly too look at if it is blow up. Beside, if you own a bounch of POS progams, it is likely you already has a 700 or 755 Treo, why do you want to switch to use it on Foleo?
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    I don't think a emulator is very useful, but I agree it would look cool to run some of the old apps on Foleo. But if you think hard about using some apps made for 320x320 on a 1024x600 screen, it would be just too small to make good use or too ugly too look at if it is blow up. Beside, if you own a bounch of POS progams, it is likely you already has a 700 or 755 Treo, why do you want to switch to use it on Foleo?
    The apps could run as DAs on top of Linux. Why use them? Because they are useful and if you are sharing the data with the Palm, you don't need two apps with compatability issues. There also is no reason you couldn't run an emulator at a higher scaled resolution. You would have a consistent interface between both Treo and Foleo. Besides, you would have a full-sized keyboard to type on.
    Foleo can run Palm OS is a MUST. whatever people say here, I still demand Foleo can emulate Palm OS due Foleo is PALM product and people loyal to PALM because they found lots of great app on PALM. If Foleo can't run Palm OS, so what is it? a new line product of Palm without "Palm inside" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    Well they could have the Palm apps. run in a "windowed" mode (a 320x320 or 320x480 window or section on the screen). If they do come out with a PalmOS emulator that runs on the Foleo, I highly doubt they'd make it so that the apps. / the emulator runs full screen. They could add an option to do that, but I there wouldn't be a point unless it was to view higher resolution photos or something like that.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    This is a classic question companies always have to answer; "How much effort do we expend dragging the past forward to our new widget?" Dragging to much forward takes time and resources away from the new widget and dragging to little forward results in lower sales as some people won't buy because the new widget doesn't do something the old widget did. So, the company spends a lot of time and money trying to answer the question then they pull the answer out of their arse and move on hoping things will work out. I guess I have a somewhat jaded view about because I work for a company where this happens all the time and it gets old. Not that my company is wrong but the whole paradigm wears me out. Trying to please all the people all the time just isn't possible.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    No, please.

The Foleo is it's own platform. It wouldn't be worth trying to get PalmOS apps to run on the Foleo. The Foleo is supposed to complement your already existing handheld/smartphone.

Compatibility layers would also create troubles.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    @dkirker: I think Palm should make Linux on Foleo can run Palm Software, I think this is the core of upcoming Palm OS II, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    @dkirker: I think Palm should make Linux on Foleo can run Palm Software, I think this is the core of upcoming Palm OS II, isn't it?
    I believe Palm said that (I could be wrong, but at least that is what is speculated).

But remember, the Foleo and Treo are two completely separate platforms. It wouldn't be practical to run software from a cell phone on a PC/Laptop (or a laptop like device in this case).

I am sure that many of the well known programs that you use on your Treo will get a Foleo counterpart and I have the feeling that many developers will offer some sort of Foleo discount deal.

With running a Palm program on the Foleo you wouldn't be able to take advantage of things like the bigger screen (well, with the Hires API in the PalmOS you could, but then applications would just look weird and all strung out). PalmOS programs were designed for the smaller devices, not the Foleo.

Not to mention, the Foleo isn't designed to be another PalmOS device. I think that you would paying far to much to use a Foleo to run Palm programs. It would be like buying an 18-wheeler cab to pull your jet skies instead of a normal truck. If you got a "mobile companion" that ran PalmOS applications, then wouldn't it replace your Treo? And, if you were running PalmOS applications (say an email client or media player), then would you not be taking advantage or, or getting the most out of, the big investment that you just made?

If somebody goes ahead and does get the emulator working on the Foleo and wants to write their own OS 5 emulating stuff, that is fine, but I would not expect Palm to do it, for the reason that it isn't what they are targeting the Foleo's use as.

What I am trying to say is that the Foleo is supposed to be an extension to your existing PalmOS (or WM, or possibly others) device, not a replacement.
    Did you know:

What I am trying to say is that the Foleo is supposed to be an extension to your existing PalmOS (or WM, or possibly others) device, not a replacement.
    Yes... but when 3rd party software become mature, Foleo can be not limited only as mobile Companion, it maybe become a full laptop with linux base.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post

With running a Palm program on the Foleo you wouldn't be able to take advantage of things like the bigger screen (well, with the Hires API in the PalmOS you could, but then applications would just look weird and all strung out). PalmOS programs were designed for the smaller devices, not the Foleo.
    If they made an emulator I highly doubt they would let it run PalmOS apps. full screen. It would be a windowed area. Like running the PalmOS simulator in Windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Yes... but when 3rd party software become mature, Foleo can be not limited only as mobile Companion, it maybe become a full laptop with linux base.
    How can you do this with applications that are designed for devices that are not "a full laptop"?

What I am trying to say is I doubt that Palm will do this because it does not seem to be in their product design. They are not trying to replace the PalmOS device.

Your statement seems to be backwards. When 3rd party software matures THEN the Foleo will be more like a full laptop with a linux base (but not completely). Not the way you have it.

@IsLNdbOi, yes, it would probably not run full screen.

The question is: Why would you want to run a PalmOS app on the Foleo? Do you do this right now with your laptop (provided you have one)?

The only use I can see is for developers doing application testing. Even then I don't use simulators or emulators for that because my results always seem to be different on the real devices.

I am not trying to be discouraging, but the idea does not seem practical, at least from a business perspective.
    Did you know:

I think personally that the new Treos that eventually run Linux had better run Palm OS apps, but as for the Foleo, I'm with dkirker on this one, I'd much rather have apps that were written specifically for the Foleo.
    If Palm does decide to make something for the Foleo that will let it run Palm OS apps. then that's great. If you don't think it's such a good idea, then you don't have to use it if they do come out with something. It would a nice feature to have though and I've seen people on other forums ask about this as well. If they did do this, it's not like they also would stop making Foleo specific apps..

Doing this (releasing some kind of PalmOS emulator for the Foleo) would not make the Foleo a replacement for any PalmOS device. It's still bigger than anything you can put in your pocket. It would just make it more convenient to use.
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 07/28/2007 at 07:05 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast