Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    If Palm does decide to make something for the Foleo that will let it run Palm OS apps. then that's great. If you don't think it's such a good idea, then you don't have to use it if they do come out with something. It would a nice feature to have though and I've seen people on other forums ask about this as well. If they did do this, it's not like they also would stop making Foleo specific apps..

Doing this (releasing some kind of PalmOS emulator for the Foleo) would not make the Foleo a replacement for any PalmOS device. It's still bigger than anything you can put in your pocket. It would just make it more convenient to use.
    I understand this view point, don't get me wrong. I am not saying that it shouldn't be done, I am saying that it mostly likely won't be done.

The chances of it happening, from Palm, are slim to none for the reasons that I listed above, and it would add an extra element of support and QA (something that Palm needs to focus on) to the mix.

But...

POSE (PalmOS Emulator that was linked above) does run under Linux. I am not sure if it is POSE specifically or CoPilot (I think CoPilot bacame POSE). So, if somebody wanted to, they could look at updating the project.

I think that people are still a little misguided, and that is why there have been questions about it.

Anyway, I think that we are running ourselves in circles going after our tails (ignoring the fact that we don't have tails). I am the kind of person that would find something like PalmOS support interesting.

Ask one of your community developers about possibly getting a POSE like thing running (just not me ).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I think personally that the new Treos that eventually run Linux had better run Palm OS apps, but as for the Foleo, I'm with dkirker on this one, I'd much rather have apps that were written specifically for the Foleo.
    I have a feeling that they will.
    Did you know:

I'm pretty sure the Linux hacking / programmer community will be all over the Foleo once it's released.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Linux hacking / programmer community will be all over the Foleo once it's released.
    They will, trust me. That is our/there nature.
    Did you know:

Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    How can you do this with applications that are designed for devices that are not "a full laptop"?

What I am trying to say is I doubt that Palm will do this because it does not seem to be in their product design. They are not trying to replace the PalmOS device.

Your statement seems to be backwards. When 3rd party software matures THEN the Foleo will be more like a full laptop with a linux base (but not completely). Not the way you have it.

@IsLNdbOi, yes, it would probably not run full screen.

The question is: Why would you want to run a PalmOS app on the Foleo? Do you do this right now with your laptop (provided you have one)?

The only use I can see is for developers doing application testing. Even then I don't use simulators or emulators for that because my results always seem to be different on the real devices.

I am not trying to be discouraging, but the idea does not seem practical, at least from a business perspective.
    Personally I never use Linux on PC Desktop or Laptop. so I don't have any clue about Linux at all.

But isn't that possible if Linux app on PC can be re-write to run on Foleo?
    Mail application, Graphic application, and many more. If that possible the Foleo can do more and that's why I can say it will do as full laptop.

Sorry If I'm wrong, but some people said that Linux don't need powerfull CPU, so with current Foleo prototype CPU, I think it is very possible to run many linux app.

OK this is all just leave as a thought, the device not yet release and 3rd party software still just an annoucement. We don't know about the real thing.

Even some of people don't need Palm Software runs on Foleo, but personall I want to. I use Palm SIM on my PC, and I hope there will be a SIM on Foleo too.

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Personally I never use Linux on PC Desktop or Laptop. so I don't have any clue about Linux at all.

But isn't that possible if Linux app on PC can be re-write to run on Foleo?
    Mail application, Graphic application, and many more. If that possible the Foleo can do more and that's why I can say it will do as full laptop.

Sorry If I'm wrong, but some people said that Linux don't need powerfull CPU, so with current Foleo prototype CPU, I think it is very possible to run many linux app.

OK this is all just leave as a thought, the device not yet release and 3rd party software still just an annoucement. We don't know about the real thing.

Even some of people don't need Palm Software runs on Foleo, but personall I want to. I use Palm SIM on my PC, and I hope there will be a SIM on Foleo too.

Cheers!
    Kind of. The Foleo uses an ARM chip, which is different from a regular laptop's chip. Programs need to be written and/or compiled differently to work on that type of chip.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Yeah Ben. I hope there was some way we could tease you into sharing with us Palm's plans of running a Garnett emulator on the Foleo But i know you cant do that and i fully understand

I hope someone else out there with the right Palm genius can come up with one though. That will be a BREAKTHROUGH!! Surely more people will be interested in the Foleo if Palm apps can be run on it Never mind a small 320x480 window. Being able to run it on the Foleo is just gonna rock!
    Using an Emulator to run Palm Apps on the Foleo would be great. But it would be even better if the application developer that created your Palm OS software created a desktop counterpart to the software so that you could take advantage of the full size keyboard and larger screen on the Foleo. Using an emulator would restrict you to the design limitations of whatever particular palm application you'd be running.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I would want my application to be re-written to take full advantage of the larger screen on the Foleo. Take WorldMate for example. It currently has about 7 "tabs" each showing different information. On the Foleo all the tabs could displayed at once. I would rather that it was redesigned to display the information in a more logical way that took advantage of the 10" screen. For me the biggest attraction of the Foleo is the 10" screen with the instant on being a very close second. I don't want to use my existing applications in a 3x3 inch window. If multiple applications could be seen at the same time maybe I would feel differently but from I understand each application will consume the full screen even if they don't use the full screen.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    i just thought of this...

if we did get a foleo counterpart of palm apps whcih uses the big screen, wouldnt that pose a problem porting data entered on the foleo back to the tini wini 320x320 screen?

Thats a possible hindrance to this.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Sure I'd probably prefer apps to take advantage of the full screen... but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see an emulator. Instant access to all the programs I've gotten over the years. Plus many of the obscure programs will probably never be reworked.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I understand this view point, don't get me wrong. I am not saying that it shouldn't be done, I am saying that it mostly likely won't be done.

The chances of it happening, from Palm, are slim to none for the reasons that I listed above, and it would add an extra element of support and QA (something that Palm needs to focus on) to the mix.
    I agree with you. I don't think Palm is going to expend energy making the Foleo backward compatible with POS.

The emulator listed in this tread is too old to be of any use for running current POS apps. However, Gameboy70 pointed out that Access has some kind of a POS VM that they are going to present at the upcoming Linux convention. I think that it is highly likely that this VM is going to be the avenue for running Legacy POS apps on POSII, very much like running Java apps with the Java VM.

Should Palm include this in future releases of POSII handhelds or the Foleo? I don't think they need to. IMO, only a small percentage of the POS users out there have large collections of software that they NEED to maintain moving forward. I have boxes of OLD DOS and windows 3.1 software stuffed back in corners at my office that I have no desire, or need, to run on current versions of Windows. I've long since replaced these legacy apps with apps that take advantage of modern hardware and OS GUIs. I think the same will hold true for future Palm plateforms and software.

TKOS
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    I would want my application to be re-written to take full advantage of the larger screen on the Foleo.
    IMO, very few POS apps are going to be re-written to run on the Foleo. Many of the POS apps are designed the way they are to give users certain types of functionality on a small screen and limited user interface(keyboard). Instead, I think developers are going to port existing desktop apps to the Foleo. Where some type of sync between the Treo and Foleo is necessary, functionlity would be added to provide this sync.

TKOS
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    This isn't entirely accurate. Linux does tend to require a little less hardware than a typical Windows machine, but not always. Redhat Enterprise Linux 5 workstation configured with all of the GUI bells and whistles is basically going to want the same type of hardware as a typical Windows XP workstation.

This nice thing about Linux is that it scales much better than Windows does. It isn't that difficult to strip off all of the bells and whistles, and even the GUI itself, and run current distributions of Linux on old PII machines.

TKOS
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfSting View Post
    IMO, very few POS apps are going to be re-written to run on the Foleo. Many of the POS apps are designed the way they are to give users certain types of functionality on a small screen and limited user interface(keyboard). Instead, I think developers are going to port existing desktop apps to the Foleo. Where some type of sync between the Treo and Foleo is necessary, functionlity would be added to provide this sync.

TKOS
    Good point but most POS apps don't have a desktop counterpart. If the Foleo is successful I think quite a few apps will be ported. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll become "full screen" because many of them don't present enough data to consume the full screen. I think Palm needs to develop a widget type of approach that will better fit the smaller apps. This approach will allow the developer to control how much desktop it needs. Always on top would be another useful feature.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    As it has been said in the past, may be it would be simpler to just have an app devloped for the Foleo that can remotely control a Treo. We've used one on the job for PocketPC and WinMob devices. There are a number of third party solutions for PC. Palm could do one for the Foleo that offers support for Palm OS and WinMob. The Foleo portion could be full screen using just a portion to show the Treo keyboard and screen.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    As it has been said in the past, may be it would be simpler to just have an app devloped for the Foleo that can remotely control a Treo. We've used one on the job for PocketPC and WinMob devices. There are a number of third party solutions for PC. Palm could do one for the Foleo that offers support for Palm OS and WinMob. The Foleo portion could be full screen using just a portion to show the Treo keyboard and screen.

If all you want is a bigger screen for your Treo...
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    We know that pdareach has been around for years. I am suggesting that Palm include on the Foleo a similar solution (developed in house or by a 3rd party) that supports current Palm OS, WinMob and Palm OSII Treos. (a plug-in design will leave room for RIM, Symbian and other devices to be added later.) It seems like one easier way to sell and communicate the companion concept. This app doesn't have to be the primary focus. Just give it a button.
    Include the remote desktop solution many of us have suggested and remote file sync via something Avvenu-like and you might hear this conversation in offices all over....

"See your Treo on the desk Boss. Well, here's your Treo on the Foleo. Chose this option and now you have your regular PC's screen wherever you are. And if there are documents you may want to work on or have available on a plane, train or anywhere else, select those on this screen. You will then have a copy which can be edited on the Foleo without your Treo or a connection to the office. Whenever you reconnect, everything will be in sync.

Although this would still not be a complete implementation of the concept, it could certainly help people buy in to the idea of a mobile companion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12